Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't recommend doing this as shipping + customs will make it more expensive than just waiting. Unfortunately currently TS is out of print: it reprints regularly, so just wait until they do another run.

Customs are for people in weird countries like England :). There's no customs within the US. GMT is trying to get it out by Christmas this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lorini posted:

Customs are for people in weird countries like England :). There's no customs within the US. GMT is trying to get it out by Christmas this year.
Yeah, he specifically asked for a UK based supplier though :v:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
That comment about there only being 2000 Collector's Editions got me to up my pledge $20 when I saw there were less than 100 left, and then I saw the later post that they're not actually limited.

I still feel pretty good about giving Jamie money.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ChiTownEddie posted:

It is not a limited pledge tier.

Really? I guess the 2k I read was just an example, I jumped to a conclusion. My bad.

Tekopo posted:

I like Falling myself.

I like it too but no one ever wants to play it more than once. :shrug:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I demoed Village Crone at Gencon and enjoyed it. Move around, collect resources, spend resources to do spells (gotta say the spells for max theme) then mess with townspeople for points. Each player has objectives like 'make these two townspeople fall in love' or 'trap these townspeople in the church' that give points. Plenty of opportunity to interact with your fellow players because you can predict what they are trying to do and do spells to slow them down.

I want to give it another try, but I remember it being a highlight of GenCon for me.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
The craziest part of that Scythe Kickstarter campaign is that the majority of backers are going for the $99 collector's edition. I'll probably back it as I think Jamey does an excellent job both designing and running a Kickstarter, but the regular $59 version is probably alright for me. Although metal coins are pretty great...

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Radioactive Toy posted:

The craziest part of that Scythe Kickstarter campaign is that the majority of backers are going for the $99 collector's edition. I'll probably back it as I think Jamey does an excellent job both designing and running a Kickstarter, but the regular $59 version is probably alright for me. Although metal coins are pretty great...

The premium version also gets you 4 plastic containers, which saves you the trouble of finding appropriately sized Plano boxes or whatever.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Stop convincing me to Kickstart this game, guys. I swore it off a long time ago. :smith:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Radioactive Toy posted:

The metal coins that came with Tuscany are awesome, and every time I bring the game out with new people they go nuts over how cool the coins are.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Been pulling together a board game travel kit. What're a couple good very small footprint games? Have Hive Pocket, Hanabi, Race for the Galaxy, and Coup.

Besides all the ones previously above, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, For Sale, and No Thanks are basically 99% cards and compress well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ETB posted:

Stop convincing me to Kickstart this game, guys. I swore it off a long time ago. :smith:

No.

Although you did just give me the amusing thought that Kickstarter Backers Anonymous would be the only addiction group intended to stop you making the pledge.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ETB posted:

Set a reminder. There are no limited pledge tiers, there's no rush. You can decide in 23 days if you really want to pledge or not.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
At some point in the last hour or so they changed Scythe from "2-5 players" to "1-5 players," which is suddenly relevant to my interests but also makes me wonder how well-thought-out the solo mode is going to be

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Soothing Vapors posted:

At some point in the last hour or so they changed Scythe from "2-5 players" to "1-5 players," which is suddenly relevant to my interests but also makes me wonder how well-thought-out the solo mode is going to be

Read the guys dev blog about it. He makes some nifty stuff. Also the automa for Viticulture works pretty well for what it is.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Soothing Vapors posted:

One of the stretch goals was a deck of automa (automata?) cards for SP.

They worked out pretty well for Viticulture, I'm sure some critical thought will go into their design between now and Aug 2016.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ETB posted:

Every game of his I've played has been meh for me. Just not interested.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Foehammer posted:

One of the stretch goals was a deck of automa (automata?) cards for SP.

They worked out pretty well for Viticulture, I'm sure some critical thought will go into their design between now and Aug 2016.

Automa. It's a system that was designed by someone Stonemaier has used for at least Viticulture and Between Two Cities to make solo versions. My Between Two Cities should arrive soon and I'm looking forward to trying an Automa.

E: and yeah, the metal coins are nice, as are the Treasure Chest-style resources. I have NO idea what he's going to do for stretch goals at this stage having loving BLOWN through all of the ones he listed already.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

They were all BS stretch goals anyways. Reference cards? An automata they'd been playtesting for a while? Bigger cards? These are things they planned and sourced ages ago.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Andarel posted:

They were all BS stretch goals anyways. Reference cards? An automata they'd been playtesting for a while? Bigger cards? These are things they planned and sourced ages ago.

Is that a bad thing? It's clear they did their homework, and they're not promising anything they haven't already thought through. Stonemaier is really reliable, and I feel confident that I'll be getting my game, as good as promised, next August.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Prairie Bus posted:

Is that a bad thing? It's clear they did their homework, and they're not promising anything they haven't already thought through. Stonemaier is really reliable, and I feel confident that I'll be getting my game, as good as promised, next August.

The point is its not a "stretch goal", since it's already done. If no one funded it, they still have it developed and sourced, so they can (and probably will) release it anyway.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

The point is its not a "stretch goal", since it's already done. If no one funded it, they still have it developed and sourced, so they can (and probably will) release it anyway.

I think I'd be safe in assuming that the goals had some relationship to the economy of scale to afford the larger (and more numerous) cards. Not trying to die on a hill for Stonemaier, but it seems like a strange thing to get upset about.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Jamey knew this was gonna blow up (though not to the degree it has already). But he played it safe, and set the minimum to what would be needed to produce and ship the basic game. Yes the Automata cards were already designed, but there's a real cost to printing and including them. If somehow the global economy collapsed instantly and he only raised $34k he'd still be fine.

But on the other hand it was all done sort of tongue in cheek, he set the stretch goals to be day 1 funding levels of previous projects, knowing he'd blow through them. But then that's kind of the point.

I'd rather he have stretch goals pre-designed and not reach the level to ship them than have to rush at the end to come up with gimmicky stretch goals that aren't thoroughly playtested or generally well designed.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's less annoyance and more the fact that they were pretty much just there to get blown through on the first day and any real stretch goals are at least a few days off. Just a marketing gimmick to make first-day funding look better if it does well (which it did).

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd rather he have stretch goals pre-designed and not reach the level to ship them than have to rush at the end to come up with gimmicky stretch goals that aren't thoroughly playtested or generally well designed.

It looks like there'll be new stretch goals released daily, so there are plenty more to go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would rather have well designed and realistic stretch goals than stupid bloat that causes delays. That said, I'll wait till it hits retail because gently caress funding something a year+ out. The game looks great though.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

More often than not, people bitch about stretch goals being too ambitious and spreading the developers' efforts too thin (although this is more of a video game thing). Having pseudo-stretch goals that are easily attainable is far better.

Also, every single aspect of Kickstarter is a "marketing gimmick".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Also, every single aspect of Kickstarter is a "marketing gimmick".

Thank you for pointing that out, I can't believe people criticize fund raising campaigns for being a marketing attempt :psyduck:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

OmegaGoo posted:

Depends on definition of stretch goal I guess. Stretch = money now raised to produce X, then yes.

It's not "done", it's more prototyped and working.

FYI having something tested and working means you're 15-20% of the way to having an actual product and the fun part is over.

(Paraphrased from Amanda Wozniak; I develop products for a living and her observation of this is in my experience spot on)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bottom Liner posted:

I would rather have well designed and realistic stretch goals than stupid bloat that causes delays. That said, I'll wait till it hits retail because gently caress funding something a year+ out. The game looks great though.

I trust Stegmaier not to put in stupid bloat. He's done this enough to avoid it.

But.

There is space for two more factions on the board...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
He said those are for the expansion teams.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Glad a friend of mine already said he'd be backing the Kickstarter so I don't have to. Viticulture/Tuscany is a favorite of our group so definitely looking forward to Scythe.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I frankly don't care. I've backed a total of two kickstarters and probably won't back too many more. I'm only backing stuff I was already hyped about before it even hit kickstarter.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

OmegaGoo posted:

Generally, stretch goals get included in pledged copies automatically. If they don't meet the goal, they'll still release, it but it will be an optional (costed) extra.

e: wow, thread fast

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I trust Stegmaier not to put in stupid bloat. He's done this enough to avoid it.

But.

There is space for two more factions on the board...

Yeah I was defending the stretch goals for Scythe. They're all good stretches and make sense.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lorini posted:

Every game of his I've played has been meh for me. Just not interested.

Lorini, what are you interested in right now? I've looked over some of the stuff out of Essen, but nothing out right now seems that exciting. You turned me on to Marco Polo and a few other games, so I'm wondering what's on your radar currently.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'll just put in another voice that Stonemaier metal coins are amazing. I got them with Tuscany and everybody that I've played Viticulture has loved them, way more than those silly cardboard coins. I'll probably get the Art Connoisseur Edition myself, but I think the metal coins alone make the Premium the must have edition.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I've backed all of his game and scythe is no exception.
I've also enjoyed all of his games and likes the fact he doesn't make bullshit stretch goals that break down to basically be "you didn't know this was being kickstarter sooner? gently caress you, you don't get the new op crap or crazy x item without eBay "

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ChiTownEddie posted:

He said those are for the expansion teams.

A part of me really hopes that the expansion is part of the stretch goals because I hate the way that Tuscany and Viticulture are packaged. They are a huge space hog when I'm fairly confident both games could fit into a single (possibly larger?) box, and in retrospect it was one aspect that I disliked about the Tuscany Kickstarter.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If your main complaint with a game is that the box isn't the perfect size, that's probably still a pretty good game?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
E: ^^ I love Viti :) but I also love middle weight games that aren't combative in general...

GrandpaPants posted:

A part of me really hopes that the expansion is part of the stretch goals because I hate the way that Tuscany and Viticulture are packaged. They are a huge space hog when I'm fairly confident both games could fit into a single (possibly larger?) box, and in retrospect it was one aspect that I disliked about the Tuscany Kickstarter.

No kidding the game takes up an obnoxious amount of space.
I seriously doubt that the extra factions will be a stretch goal, if only based on how much Stegmaier likes to playtest. It'll be interesting to see what Euphoria's exp looks like, hopefully not as obnoxious as Tuscany in the storage size dept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like with a slightly redesigned insert for Viticulture - a little shallower and more space for meeples - you could easily fit everything in one box. The lid might not go down all the way though because there are A LOT of boards.