Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Drinking a Delerium Argentum and it's drat good. Smooth as hell for some afternoon football watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Midorka posted:

Edit: Apparently it's a year round, and apparently the person below is a dick who thinks he's witty for using an overused reply while adding nothing to the thread, dick. Yeah I was wrong, but not only did you add nothing to the thread, you look like an unwitty dick while doing so.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Krustster, are you still drunk on Pugachev??

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Chris (BETTS) doesn't know how to BCC and that makes me laugh a lot.

Opened my last bottle of Blind Pig. So tasty.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 12, 2015

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Chris Quinn Betts doesn't know how to BCC and that makes me laugh a lot.

All those neckbeards have my email now...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

All those neckbeards have my email now...

Whoops, I just saw Chris and Beer Temple and assumed it was Quinn. My bad.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What are you guys doing for the "pre-release"? Its reaaaaally freaking expensive to get a single extra bottle of each this release.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

What are you guys doing for the "pre-release"? Its reaaaaally freaking expensive to get a single extra bottle of each this release.

Picked up an extra of each, and as many Pentameter B2's as they allowed...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Picked up an extra of each, and as many Pentameter B2's as they allowed...

Objectification and Oktoberfunk were at Belgian Fest. Objectification is good but wasn't anything stellar. Oktoberfunk is interesting in that it's different but in actuality it's just not a very good beer. The rest of it looks good though. I think my buddy is picking up the max allotment as well on the rest.

Also....

Congrats Krustster!

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Compusaurus posted:

Objectification and Oktoberfunk were at Belgian Fest. Objectification is good but wasn't anything stellar. Oktoberfunk is interesting in that it's different but in actuality it's just not a very good beer. The rest of it looks good though. I think my buddy is picking up the max allotment as well on the rest.

Also....

Congrats Krustster!

:supaburn: Awesome I can't wait! I knew that out of place Midorka quote would bring me luck.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Tapes:blasted.

Hey, while I'm up in Grand Rapids today, any Michigan beers I should be looking for?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Hauki posted:

trip report: I bought 3 12 oz. beers to go at crooked stave today, somehow it rang out at forty-five-loving dollars. So did my single bottle of Sahalie the other day.
I mean I'm curious to try them and all, but come on. I can get a decent 12 year old single malt whisky for as much as either of those and that same volume will last me way longer. I think your beverage culture made a wrong turn somewhere when it became more expensive and snobby than scotch.

$45 for Sahalie? That's quite a bit of mark-up. Great beer but I haven't bought a bottle in a while, even at the $25 it goes for here.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Avenged posted:

Tapes:blasted.

Hey, while I'm up in Grand Rapids today, any Michigan beers I should be looking for?

Get you some Odd Side I Want My HTV.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I guess the point he forgot to point out is that very few places make high abv beers with a low SRM.

Yeah, I'm should have phrased it a little better.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

ChiTownEddie posted:

Picked up the limit all the extras except for Salarium and Oktoberfunk, which I feel like were just okay when I had them on draft. I'll probably miss out on any in-person extras since I can't make it until late next week.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Picked up the limit all the extras except for Salarium and Oktoberfunk, which I feel like were just okay when I had them on draft. I'll probably miss out on any in-person extras since I can't make it until late next week.

I ended up doing the same. Then had to promise I wouldn't go to the Beer Temple for the rest of the month hahaha.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I'm in New York now. I went to RnH and Proletariat yesterday. RnH taplist wasn't as great as I'm used to but I did have Seizoen Bretta on draft which was neat. Proletariat was fantastic including but not limited to some good Other Half beers (Citra and some weirdly named saison) and Tipopils which is one of my favorite beers in the world. I also had a Dupont 17 year pomme that sat in Calvados casks for an eternity I guess. It was really great.

I'm looking for other places to go besides hitting up the actual breweries in Brooklyn so if anyone knows a good under the radar spot or wants to meet up message me at Honuswagner on RB.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Miller accepted InBevs offer. I would be surprised if that survives an anti trust review but we will see.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Compusaurus posted:

Miller accepted InBevs offer. I would be surprised if that survives an anti trust review but we will see.

Probably some convoluted ordeal where Miller in the US gets spun off but internationally it's all one company.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So long as antitrust agencies can get them to stop buying out distributors or paying them off to make it harder for the little guys to get distro then I'll be happy. gently caress the three tiered system.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

So long as antitrust agencies can get them to stop buying out distributors or paying them off to make it harder for the little guys to get distro then I'll be happy. gently caress the three tiered system.

But three tier should be preventing those things. It's not the system's fault; It's your state government's for allowing poo poo like that with their loose regulation.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

MunchE posted:

Probably some convoluted ordeal where Miller in the US gets spun off but internationally it's all one company.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Constellation or Pabst made a play. That's how Constellation got Corona/Modelo, from a similar situation like this.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Pabst is so weird.

quote:

The Pabst Brewing Company is a 19th-century brewer retooled for the 21st century. The company, founded in Milwaukee in 1844, today is something of a "virtual" brewer. Pabst owns no breweries, but instead, it contracts with MillerCoors to actually manufacture its beers, while Pabst retains the brand ownership of and does the marketing for its stable of blue-collar brands (including Pabst Blue Ribbon, Blatz, Pearl, Lone Star, Old Milwaukee, Old Style, Schlitz, and Colt 45). Pabst Brewing was owned by the Kalmanovitz Charitable Foundation until June 2010, when it sold the company to former food executive and billionaire investor, C. Dean Metropoulos.
And they're incorporated in Illinois @_@

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Surprise, AB-Inbev being investigated for antitrust violations:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/10/13/ab_inbev_is_being_investigated_over_antitrust_allegations_involving_craft.html

quote:

As the brewer of all things Bud, AB InBev already has plenty of heft with wholesalers. But in recent years, it has tried to slash its distribution costs by taking advantage of state laws that allow beer makers to purchase wholesalers outright so long as they operate independently. Thanks to a spate of recent acquisitions, Bud currently owns 17 of the 500 companies that move its beer, with operations in cities including Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

Craft brewers say that AB InBev is abusing its growing power over America's beer distribution network in two ways. First, they claim that some distributors purchased by AB InBev either stop selling products made by rival brewers outright, or seemingly stop making much of an effort to sell them. Second, they claim that AB InBev has pressured distributors it doesn't own "to only carry the company's products and end their ties with the craft industry." Conveniently, AB InBev has also purchased a number of well-loved craft brewers, such as Elysian and Goose Island, which it could readily offer to wholesalers as substitutes for other small brands.

The Justice Department is reportedly still in the early stages of investigating these allegations. On Monday, though, InBev acknowledged that it was talking to both the Justice Department and California’s Office of the Attorney General about its plans to purchase distributors in San Jose and Oakland, California. The company said it was "working cooperatively to address any questions" about the deals.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

They're also going to face other antitrust investigations with the SABMiller proposal; in other words, they're going to start hiring lots of law firms.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Jerome Louis posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Constellation or Pabst made a play. That's how Constellation got Corona/Modelo, from a similar situation like this.

I actually did some reading on this today. It looks like if the merger goes through, not only is ABInbev going to have to spin off all of SAMiller's brands in the US, they are likely going to have to spin off the #1 selling beer in China, as well. But apparently, in the rest of the world they actually have very little overlap, so the overall efficiency of scale of combining their worldwide operations nets into a potential big win.

Pabst I'd be hard pressed to see coming up with the money, the more likely solution I saw today was to grant full control of the new entity to the MillerCoors joint venture which is already at a high level controlling all of the brands for SAMiller in the US.

TL,DR: It probably won't change much for us in the US, it's more of a deal on the international scale than the US-Centric one.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've been busy as hell lately and not posting in the thread as much, but things are starting to calm down and I wanted to pop in and remind everyone that tomorrow night, being the second Wednesday of the month, is Cellar Raid Day! I may have to delay my participation until Thursday, but given recent life events (just bought a house!) I'll be digging for something really special.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Local shop got in a few sours from Almanac - farmers reserve citrus, citra sour, simcoe sour, and pumpkin sour. I've had the farmers reserve blueberry and blackberry and thought they were fantastic. Out of the 4 available, which is the best? The bottles are going for $11.50 each.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

WaffleStomp posted:

Local shop got in a few sours from Almanac - farmers reserve citrus, citra sour, simcoe sour, and pumpkin sour. I've had the farmers reserve blueberry and blackberry and thought they were fantastic. Out of the 4 available, which is the best? The bottles are going for $11.50 each.

The citrus was not worth the money. Haven't tried any of the others.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
So I'm gonna be in San Diego all next week so looking for some tips. I noticed a few pages back people were mentioning how the wiki is pretty outdated. Read it anyway and was hoping to get some other tips here. I'm staying with a friend who lives in San Carlos. He has to work the first couple of days I'm there so I planned on exploring on my own. I have a couple options. He offered to let me just take his car while he's at work then pick him up, and from what I gather getting to a lot of good breweries requires a car, however if I'm gonna be drinking any amount I'm not gonna feel good about driving. He said he could drop me off on the way to work and I could take a trolley into downtown SD. From there I could use Uber and it looks like at least some stuff is close enough to each other for that to work. It seems like Ballast Point and Modern Times are pretty close to each other, and there is a Pizza Port about 10 miles from that. I'm just trying to figure out a logistical plan to hit up a few good breweries/bars, not get a DUI, and not spend 200 dollars a day on Uber. The rest of the week I could probably check out some places that are more driveable. He's not a big beer nerd like me but I know he's been to the Stone beer garden which we plan on checking out so I'll probably wait to hit that one. I figure I can get him to go to some other places too.

I'm in the DC area and in DC proper you could explore the entire city and even some driving distances breweries with metro + a couple Uber rides easy as hell, not sure how feasible that is in SD. (Is there a form of public transportation that doesn't take forever?) Any good bar that serves local stuff and also any cool coffee shops/cafes/other cool poo poo to see I'm totally into. Basically I need to figure out some kind of plan of attack to make the most out of my first 2 days there when I'll just be wandering around like a clueless drunk idiot.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

WaffleStomp posted:

Simcoe Sour is pretty good. Though, if it's available in your area get Le Terroir from New Belgium instead. For $3.50 more you get double the booze and I think Le Terroir is a bit better.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

nosleep posted:

So I'm gonna be in San Diego all next week so looking for some tips. I noticed a few pages back people were mentioning how the wiki is pretty outdated. Read it anyway and was hoping to get some other tips here. I'm staying with a friend who lives in San Carlos. He has to work the first couple of days I'm there so I planned on exploring on my own. I have a couple options. He offered to let me just take his car while he's at work then pick him up, and from what I gather getting to a lot of good breweries requires a car, however if I'm gonna be drinking any amount I'm not gonna feel good about driving. He said he could drop me off on the way to work and I could take a trolley into downtown SD. From there I could use Uber and it looks like at least some stuff is close enough to each other for that to work. It seems like Ballast Point and Modern Times are pretty close to each other, and there is a Pizza Port about 10 miles from that. I'm just trying to figure out a logistical plan to hit up a few good breweries/bars, not get a DUI, and not spend 200 dollars a day on Uber. The rest of the week I could probably check out some places that are more driveable. He's not a big beer nerd like me but I know he's been to the Stone beer garden which we plan on checking out so I'll probably wait to hit that one. I figure I can get him to go to some other places too.

I'm in the DC area and in DC proper you could explore the entire city and even some driving distances breweries with metro + a couple Uber rides easy as hell, not sure how feasible that is in SD. (Is there a form of public transportation that doesn't take forever?) Any good bar that serves local stuff and also any cool coffee shops/cafes/other cool poo poo to see I'm totally into. Basically I need to figure out some kind of plan of attack to make the most out of my first 2 days there when I'll just be wandering around like a clueless drunk idiot.

San Diego isn't quite as transit friendly (like most of CA it's a bit sprawly). I assume you meant San Marcos? That puts you on the northern edge of San Diego county. If you're in San Marcos, your closest big hitters are Stone's main brewery (which is awesome), Lost Abbey and Churchill's Pub. I honestly haven't looked at where the trolley goes but I will in a bit to give you some pointers. You are starting from outside of the city proper if you are in San Marcos, but you can get some good stuff just staying in North County.

Coincidentally I am going to be in SD on Mon-Tue, so if you're there then PM me maybe we could grab a beer.

Edit: San Diego Fail, San Carlos is apparently a neighborhood I was never aware of (I live about 2 hours north in my defense) so I will research how well the Trolley works for getting to reasonable beer stuff. You're also a relatively short drive (30mins) from Alpine and pretty close to Societe which is awesome.

MunchE fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 14, 2015

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

MunchE posted:

San Diego isn't quite as transit friendly (like most of CA it's a bit sprawly). I assume you meant San Marcos? That puts you on the northern edge of San Diego county. If you're in San Marcos, your closest big hitters are Stone's main brewery (which is awesome), Lost Abbey and Churchill's Pub. I honestly haven't looked at where the trolley goes but I will in a bit to give you some pointers. You are starting from outside of the city proper if you are in San Marcos, but you can get some good stuff just staying in North County.

Coincidentally I am going to be in SD on Mon-Tue, so if you're there then PM me maybe we could grab a beer.

He says he's in San Carlos, which looks like it's NE of the city, above La Mesa. He works in Kearny Mesa which appears pretty much North of the city. I was planning on riding in to work with him then heading into town from there. May definitely shoot you a PM at some point.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

nosleep posted:

He says he's in San Carlos, which looks like it's NE of the city, above La Mesa. He works in Kearny Mesa which appears pretty much North of the city. I was planning on riding in to work with him then heading into town from there. May definitely shoot you a PM at some point.

San Diego Beer Map.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

nosleep posted:

I assume you probably already found this:
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/san-diego/san-diego-trolley-bar-map-bars-near-every-san-diego-trolley-stop

Not a lot of those options are amazing sadly. There are some bars I really like (Hoffers, Regal Beagle) and a couple decent brewery options, but it misses a lot of the big hotspots. I will post more when I am at work and getting paid to gently caress off looking at beer maps

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't be the only US beer drinker who feels like short measures are becoming an epidemic. As beer gets more and more expensive, I get more and more pissed off at "pints" that resemble 3/4 pints.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't be the only US beer drinker who feels like short measures are becoming an epidemic. As beer gets more and more expensive, I get more and more pissed off at "pints" that resemble 3/4 pints.

Sounds like you need this little thing (note: possession automatically qualifies you to be a douche)

http://www.thebeergauge.com/

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

San Carlos puts you near the trolley line which would be your cheapest (not fastest, mind you) way around town without joining Team Dewey. Trolley gets you into downtown and solid bars like Quad Alehouse, Hopping Pig and Neighborhood. I work a block away from all those places and if you're still hanging around next Wed/Thurs/Fri hit me up for a beer lunch around there.

Also nearby San Carlos is Keg N Bottle - there's a bunch of locations but only this one's a combo bottle shop/bar/restaurant. Nice way to spend a lunch/dinner on a cheap round trip Uber.

I could go on forever but a few things which aren't in the wiki that warrant mentioning:

Iron Pig Alehouse in PB always has a great taplist and the best brisket I've found in SD. New-ish place but the food and beer are on point.

Council Brewing is cranking out a bunch of tasty kettle sours and many of them are frequently on tap. Good combo stop along with the nearby Societe in the Kearny Mesa/Clairemont Mesa area.

Alpine's brewpub moved into larger digs and the food is back to being as good as it was before the move. It's a drive from San Carlos (30 minutes) but it's really a great way of showing you the geographic diversity of San Diego county and oh yeah some world class IPAs on tap too.

Go to Rip Current in North Park. My favorite venue in SD right now for combined food/beer quality.

Go to Pizza Port in....well, any of them are a great time but the one in Ocean Beach and the one in Carlsbad are particularly enjoyable.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Angry Grimace posted:

If something is wrong with a beer don't be afraid to ask the bartender to make it right. I don't generally see short pours but I see enough off flavors and even giving someone the wrong beer and people just drink it rather than getting it fixed. Send that poo poo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swickles posted:

Sounds like you need this little thing (note: possession automatically qualifies you to be a douche)

http://www.thebeergauge.com/

This is funny to me because those glasses hold 12oz, not a full pint.