Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
why have I never thought of this

also why is this guy such an obnoxious

http://www.eater.com/2015/9/25/9397899/how-to-diy-steak-knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mindphlux posted:

why have I never thought of this

also why is this guy such an obnoxious

http://www.eater.com/2015/9/25/9397899/how-to-diy-steak-knives

because silver plated butter knives maybe aren't the best steel to hold an edge?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Scott808 posted:

An Australian retailer said Tanaka told him there will be no more ginsanko knives because of supply issues with the steel. Once the remaining stock is gone, that's it, the line is gone.

I emailed CKTG asking about the availability. He said he'd check with Tanaka and remove the Ginsan series from the website if it's true. This morning when I checked the site, they only have the 240mm and 270mm knives listed, both $20 more expensive than before.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit

you made me buy a loving $30 digital magnetic angle cube you fag

A fool and his money something something... :v:

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Glockamole posted:

I emailed CKTG asking about the availability. He said he'd check with Tanaka and remove the Ginsan series from the website if it's true. This morning when I checked the site, they only have the 240mm and 270mm knives listed, both $20 more expensive than before.

Considering he didn't know and you brought it to his attention, he could have at least offered you one at the old price as a gesture of goodwill. Kind of a prick move, but not exactly unexpected. He did something similar with Hiromoto when production was stopped on those - he bought up all the remaining stock from another retailer. I guess in the future don't give him any info like that in your question, just ask him if he'll be getting any more in stock - it's always possible that he had stock on the way to him already.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Got sick of using lovely knives and just ordered a Tojiro DP 240mm. I have real fond memories of my former roommate's 210mm which he kept razor sharp. He had the Spyderco Sharpmaker but I'm not really looking to spend that kind of money now and other cheaper sharpening solutions become prohibitively expensive to ship and import to Norway.

I'm looking for a ceramic honing rod which I figure will be handy to have and would tide me over for some months until I figure out a proper sharpening setup. I'd prefer to get it here in Norway, which somewhat limits my options. The two available affordable option I found were the MAC #SR85 which is 1200 grit and one from a brand called Masahiro. I could not find much information about this second, I dunno if anyone here recognizes it and knows if its a better option than the MAC. They come out to a similar price.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cataffy posted:

Got sick of using lovely knives and just ordered a Tojiro DP 240mm. I have real fond memories of my former roommate's 210mm which he kept razor sharp. He had the Spyderco Sharpmaker but I'm not really looking to spend that kind of money now and other cheaper sharpening solutions become prohibitively expensive to ship and import to Norway.

I'm looking for a ceramic honing rod which I figure will be handy to have and would tide me over for some months until I figure out a proper sharpening setup. I'd prefer to get it here in Norway, which somewhat limits my options. The two available affordable option I found were the MAC #SR85 which is 1200 grit and one from a brand called Masahiro. I could not find much information about this second, I dunno if anyone here recognizes it and knows if its a better option than the MAC. They come out to a similar price.

The MAC one should be fine, but eventually you will need to do real sharpening with stones or send the knife to an expert to be sharpened.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'm looking to purchase a new knife chef's (or gyuto) knife in the 6"-8" range, my preference is 8" knives, my wife's is 6". I guess ideally a 7" would be a happy medium. In any case, we've only really had entry knives that turn to crap after a couple years and I want to buy something that we can use for a long time that won't turn to garbage quickly after sharpening. I've been reading this thread for the past few hours and there is a ton of information to digest. From what I gather, something VG-10 is what I want to get and probably Japanese because of the sharpening angle. I would be willing to spend up to $250, what would you suggest?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

keykey posted:

I'm looking to purchase a new knife chef's (or gyuto) knife in the 6"-8" range, my preference is 8" knives, my wife's is 6". I guess ideally a 7" would be a happy medium. In any case, we've only really had entry knives that turn to crap after a couple years and I want to buy something that we can use for a long time that won't turn to garbage quickly after sharpening. I've been reading this thread for the past few hours and there is a ton of information to digest. From what I gather, something VG-10 is what I want to get and probably Japanese because of the sharpening angle. I would be willing to spend up to $250, what would you suggest?

The particular steel matters a lot less than the other qualities of the knife, so you should not get caught up in it being VG-10 or whatever. Anyway, here are a few to consider:

Takamura VG-10 Nashiji Gyuto 210mm: I know at least one person here has this one and likes it a lot. It's nice and thin so it should be very sharp. The steel is of moderate hardness at 60-61 HRC and should hold an edge pretty well. It's also a very nice looking knife with the hammered nashiji finish.

Sukenari Ginsan Gyuto 210mm: This is a medium thickness knife and trades some sharpness for a more robust feel, it's also a bit harder at 61-62 HRC so it will hold it's edge longer. I really like the finish on these, very simple and elegant.

Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm: This one is incredibly thin and sharp, it also has a somewhat flexible blade. It is very hard at 62-63 HRC and uses R2 steel which holds an edge for a long time. It has a smallish handle so if you have big hands you might want to look at something else.

Shiro Kamo R2 Gyuto 210mm: I can personally recommend this one, I have the 240mm version of it and it is my favorite knife. It has a nice robust feel but is very, very sharp, though not as sharp as the Migaki above. It's pretty tall at the heel and fairly flat in profile which makes it great for chopping and push cuts but not as good for rocking. It holds it's edge for a long time but you will need to sharpen it because the out of the box edge is pretty so-so.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

keykey posted:

I don't think I'd drop $250 in your shoes. Not that there aren't good knives that merit the price tag but at that point you're well into extremely high-end, often handmade knives. You should be able to find truly excellent knives at $150 or less, and even that is fairly high-end.

You don't necessarily need Japanese, it depends on what you want in a knife. If you want a Western style knife, a Wusthof Classic would be less than half your budget. Hell, you could buy a 6" and an 8" and still be under $250. (They do make a 7".)

If you do want a Japanese-style gyuto, note that 180mm is a standard size that's about 7". The 210mm ones are closer to 8" (actually a hair longer) and 240mm is way longer than you want. Here's CKTG's 180mm gyutos. Only one is over $200 and that's a handmade one they only make a few of per year.

If I'm reading your post correctly, and you're willing to either have your knife sharpened or do it yourself, I would actually suggest looking at the Tojiro DP gyuto. It's a common recommendation in this thread. It's not as high-end as some of the stuff in the range you're looking at, but it should last a long time given proper care and it can be had for $50-60 in the lengths you're looking for. If you actually meant honing (on a rod), you want to do that every time regardless of the knife.

What exactly is happening to your knives that you're dissatisfied with, and what knives are you using? Even a $35 Victorinox chef's knife should last years and years with proper care.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

guppy posted:

What exactly is happening to your knives that you're dissatisfied with, and what knives are you using? Even a $35 Victorinox chef's knife should last years and years with proper care.

Our knives seem to dull rather quickly with the exception of our last set we bought which was 3-5 years ago which is the J.A. Henckels Everedge set which is the most basic cheapest entry point Henckels makes. The largest issue with the set is when a knife does dull out, its a pain in the rear end to sharpen since it's a serrated set. With that set, it feels like we're going in the right direction and since we're now both out in our industries, we can afford better stuff to use rather than a band-aid to go just a little further.

I was looking at Shun Classic knives this past weekend and I thought before I went and made a purchase, I'd research a little further and ended up finding this thread. I'm glad I did, but at the same time it's a little overwhelming with all the information. By the way, thank you guys for helping out a laymen such as myself.

edit: Am I really just way over analyzing this whole thing and the real answer lies in any chef's knife I purchase from Wusthof/Henckels/Shun/anybody else posted in this thread over $125 is going to be amazing and at a point it's not really about the blade but how it looks?

keykey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 13, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Don't buy German, buy Japanese. You can't go wrong with Japanese steel.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a layman don't get a Shun because they are fairly maintenance intensive and easy to chip. They're nice but you can get a decent knife that isn't going to require so much babying and whatnot.

keykey posted:

edit: Am I really just way over analyzing this whole thing and the real answer lies in any chef's knife I purchase from Wusthof/Henckels/Shun/anybody else posted in this thread over $125 is going to be amazing and at a point it's not really about the blade but how it looks?

Preeetty much. The only thing that really matters at your level is do you like how it looks and it is comfortable in your hand. A decent brand at $100+ will get you a good chef knife regardless. To that end it might be helpful to pop into Sur le Table or something and actually handle some of the knives yourself before ordering anything.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

keykey posted:

I want to buy something that we can use for a long time that won't turn to garbage quickly after sharpening.

That's not really how knives work. If you refuse to sharpen them you should be buying Victorinoxes and throwing them away every four months or whatever.

No matter how much you spend on a knife it needs to be sharpened. The differences in steel and quality won't matter if it hasn't been sharpened in a year.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think he meant like it won't lose its edge quickly?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Chemmy posted:

That's not really how knives work. If you refuse to sharpen them you should be buying Victorinoxes and throwing them away every four months or whatever.

No matter how much you spend on a knife it needs to be sharpened. The differences in steel and quality won't matter if it hasn't been sharpened in a year.

Yeah, I get that. The last time I had the current knife sharpened was 6 months ago. Granted were quite mobile people so we realistically use it once or twice a week, it is huge diminishing returns. It's probably due to the fact that it was the entry level for a name brand set. Everything else is still working pretty great, but the chefs knife has always been our Achilles heel.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Six months is about the right time to sharpen a knife if you use it occasionally. Buying a more expensive knife doesn't change that.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The particular steel matters a lot less than the other qualities of the knife, so you should not get caught up in it being VG-10 or whatever. Anyway, here are a few to consider:

Takamura VG-10 Nashiji Gyuto 210mm: I know at least one person here has this one and likes it a lot. It's nice and thin so it should be very sharp. The steel is of moderate hardness at 60-61 HRC and should hold an edge pretty well. It's also a very nice looking knife with the hammered nashiji finish.

Sukenari Ginsan Gyuto 210mm: This is a medium thickness knife and trades some sharpness for a more robust feel, it's also a bit harder at 61-62 HRC so it will hold it's edge longer. I really like the finish on these, very simple and elegant.

Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm: This one is incredibly thin and sharp, it also has a somewhat flexible blade. It is very hard at 62-63 HRC and uses R2 steel which holds an edge for a long time. It has a smallish handle so if you have big hands you might want to look at something else.

Shiro Kamo R2 Gyuto 210mm: I can personally recommend this one, I have the 240mm version of it and it is my favorite knife. It has a nice robust feel but is very, very sharp, though not as sharp as the Migaki above. It's pretty tall at the heel and fairly flat in profile which makes it great for chopping and push cuts but not as good for rocking. It holds it's edge for a long time but you will need to sharpen it because the out of the box edge is pretty so-so.

How would any of these compare to the Tanaka Ginsan for knife for the money ratio, in your opinion? I'm excepting the Shiro Kamo, though, since I can't justify that amount.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Glockamole posted:

How would any of these compare to the Tanaka Ginsan for knife for the money ratio, in your opinion? I'm excepting the Shiro Kamo, though, since I can't justify that amount.

I'd say that the Migaki is definitely better, but it's also a much different knife, much shorter at the heel, much thiner and sharper and so on. The Sukenari Ginsan is more robust than the Tanaka, not as sharp but with more heft and taller. The Takamura VG-10 Nashiji is very similar to the Migaki but a little thicker, a little less sharp and stiff instead of flexible like the Migaki.

I'd say that they all fall a bit behind the Tanaka Ginsan as far as knife/$$$ but they all have much nicer finishing work than the Tanaka.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Is the cck small cleaver still the best value now that it's $70?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Dear knife thread,

I'm (finally) tired of using not-that-sharp 10 euro knives and I'm looking to up my knife game substantially, with the first thing on my list being a really good general purpose knife.
I currently use a 140mm knife, which is not really up to the task of comfortably cutting through some of the larger and tougher things I work with, both from a sharpness (accordion cuts ugh) and length perspective.
180 to 210mm would probably be the length I'd be looking to purchase. I doubt I'll be needing the extra length that a 240mm knife offers, and it looks a bit unwieldy.
I've noticed that some of the knives I have used in the past tend to get uncomfortable after lengthy use, with the muscle of my thumb getting a cramp of sorts. I'm not really sure if that's what it is, but it's uncomfortable and I'd like to not have this happen in the future.

If it helps to narrow it down, my hands are fairly small, (6ft man with 5ft lady hands).

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
I got this to try out "Japanese knives" for the first time without breaking the bank. @ $99 it's freakin' amazing! Slicing through anything is a joy, easy, and simple. Due to its carbon steel, you have to keep it pretty clean after using. I've got a nice patina going on its surface now, even after cleaning a bit (Barkeepers Friend). The edge is holding up to daily use just fine.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/katkgy21.html

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I've got a kanehide hankotsu, thing makes poultry and fish a breeze, good brand, would buy again. Just be wary of their rosewood handles, they're not sealed so they pick up off smells.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Glockamole: MetalMasterJP has a Tanaka Ginsan 270mm on eBay. Only one left. $160.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Scott808 posted:

Glockamole: MetalMasterJP has a Tanaka Ginsan 270mm on eBay. Only one left. $160.

270mm sounds enormous.

EDIT: the same seller is showing Damascus/clad knives with a VG-10 core with a slab style handle that they say is Tanaka. Do they look like genuine Tanaka knives?

Glockamole fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Azn Sensation posted:

I dunno! I pulled it out and boom, there it was, all that way. I confronted roommate about it and he just shrugged and said he didn't know. He left a month later, but the chunks will be forever. Being that I have zero experience sharpening knives other than honing a few of the German ones with the rod, I dunno how I'll get it fixed.
I'd say he most likely tried to open a beer bottle, from the way it's shaped. Either that or maybe there was a nail or something he was trying to pry up? I've caught roommates using my chef knife to bash a block of cheese against the counter, because they didn't know that bigger blade = harder job. Either way, it's the reason you get a security deposit. :(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

coyo7e posted:

I'd say he most likely tried to open a beer bottle, from the way it's shaped. Either that or maybe there was a nail or something he was trying to pry up? I've caught roommates using my chef knife to bash a block of cheese against the counter, because they didn't know that bigger blade = harder job. Either way, it's the reason you get a security deposit. :(

:laffo: Nice reply to a 27 month old post

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
In the last 27 months I learned to fillet.. Yourself?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Korin had a Misono event a few weekends ago -- I've been out of the restaurant biz awhile but missed my knives. Picked up a UX-10 (one of my favorite to recommend as that next step beyond Wusthof etc), one of their lower level boning knives, and I got some free stuff including a sharpening demo with the founder! He said I had good technique. :3

I really recommend that people know to buy a steel and stone and learn the most basic care for your knife -- it might require some effort, but I think it's better than being frustrated with a knife and then just, idk, tossing it out or god knows what.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I just started reading through this thread and holy poo poo are the edge pro angle displays really as misleading as this says:

you ate my cat posted:

I have an Edge Pro that I got from my dad when he decided he'd never use it. Honestly, it's pretty solid. I can't seem to keep a consistent angle with a stone to save my life, so that part is nice. Would never have bought one for myself, they're crazy expensive.

I agree that the angle marks are way off though - I basically sharpen everything at red or lower, which the booklet claims is like a 9 degree edge. No way is that true.

Fo3 posted:

Suprising to read the angle marks are way off, I thought that was just an issue with the cheap chinense ebay ones.
Oh well, even more reason to buy the faker and use the savings to buy an angle cube I guess.

Yeah, one thing worth buying is a digital protractor like the igaging 'anglecube'
The edgepro/faux is marked with the top blue mark as 35 deg(I think, could be 30 or 40 deg) for pocket knives, 2nd mark down in yellow as 20 deg for kitchen knives, next mark down is green (15 or 18 deg?), last mark down in red (15 or 10 deg?). All I remember is the yellow 20 deg as that's all I cared about initially and I can't find the manual right now.

Using the angle cube, 18 deg is actually mid way between the green and red.
I got the angle cube from this guy on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140636422546
seller/username thetaylormk if you want to look them up on ebay USA.

Edit: Now I re-read what I posted, you guys might be able to get the 'Angle Cube' cheaper or with free postage from Amazon. I had to go with the seller I mentioned from ebay because the Amazon seller of the "Angle Cube" wouldn't ship to Australia.

Because if so I need to get that fixed right loving now

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't know that my edge-faux came with any directions at all regarding the angle settings. I just downloaded a clinometer app onto my phone and use that to set the angle of the stone. It generally lines up with one of the marks but I don't really use that for anything. If you have a smartphone, there are free apps that will let you avoid purchasing an angle cube and come with megabit shipping speeds.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Glockamole posted:

270mm sounds enormous.

EDIT: the same seller is showing Damascus/clad knives with a VG-10 core with a slab style handle that they say is Tanaka. Do they look like genuine Tanaka knives?

I don't know what you're using now, but I went from an 8" to a 10" and now a 270mm as my primary knife. I'll switch between the 10" and the 270mm sometimes, but I never use the 8" anymore.

MetalMaster is a well known seller, and as far as I know is completely legitimate. I've seen some complaints about slowness and lack of communication, but in the end he delivers the order.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

AnonSpore posted:

I just started reading through this thread and holy poo poo are the edge pro angle displays really as misleading as this says:

Because if so I need to get that fixed right loving now

Person that uses a phone app say the same thing as me, ie 18-20 degrees is right between the two lowest marks.
Interestingly they said theirs wasn't colour coded.

ma i married a tuna posted:

I set mine for 20 degrees, which about halfway between the lowest and second-lowest notch. My chinese knockoff didn't offer the luxury option of color coding.

What that article says is that they're useless as a level, since they need to be calibrated. Once I calibrate to the base and set that as zero - whether it's truly level or not - my phone very accurately tell me the difference in degrees between base and arm. So, perfectly useful for this purpose.

Olothreutes above said their's didn't come with any instructions too, mine did.
Cheap Chinese products come in all sorts of varying quality and packaging - you never said if yours was original or a clone. but it always pays to find the seller with the best version when it comes to Chinese goods.
(Many had the same problem with the g1w dash cam - many people bought a version that failed quickly, while mine has been rock solid for two years because I searched suppliers with the best reputation, not the lowest price. Not all products from China with the same name are actually the same! So I can't tell you for sure where to set yours, you'll have to measure it yourself somehow)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 30, 2015

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

Scott808 posted:

I don't know what you're using now, but I went from an 8" to a 10" and now a 270mm as my primary knife. I'll switch between the 10" and the 270mm sometimes, but I never use the 8" anymore.

MetalMaster is a well known seller, and as far as I know is completely legitimate. I've seen some complaints about slowness and lack of communication, but in the end he delivers the order.

The present backbone of my culinary work force is an 8" Shun that I'll probably gift away whenever I trade up. Originally I wanted a 210mm, but seeing these knives in hand in the CKTG reviews makes me think a 240 would be better. I don't know why 30mm more seems so daunting to me.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Glockamole posted:

The present backbone of my culinary work force is an 8" Shun that I'll probably gift away whenever I trade up. Originally I wanted a 210mm, but seeing these knives in hand in the CKTG reviews makes me think a 240 would be better. I don't know why 30mm more seems so daunting to me.

I have a 240 gyuto and a 270 suji, and a tiny apartment kitchen. The 240 is basically perfect for me. Large enough to do anything I need, from garlic to halving a butternut squash, but not so unwieldy that I run out of space in my hovel. I've never found a task where I was thinking "man if only this were a little longer." I think that if I tried to use a 270 for everything I'd constantly be running the point into something. I also have a shorter western chef's knife that goes relatively unused, it's about 210 I think. The extra 30mm up to 240 is really nice, but beyond that I think you might want to consider your cooking space and what sort of work you'd be doing most of the time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Suji's aren't gyutos. Saying you wouldn't use a knife for something it isn't made for is dumb.

Bigger is always better as long as you have the cutting space for it because of the way leverage works.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
My kitchen is the size of my old apartment. Four people could comfortably work in it with room for another to do dishes. It's almost awesome enough to make up for living in West Virginia.
My concern for length is more control of the knife than space. I feel like I wouldn't be able to control the tip very well for fine work. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong about that.
Also, a general question about wa-gyuto. How do versions with western style slab handles and a full tang handle compared to ones with a hidden or partial tang?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Suji's aren't gyutos. Saying you wouldn't use a knife for something it isn't made for is dumb.

Bigger is always better as long as you have the cutting space for it because of the way leverage works.

I'm aware that they aren't the same. I was attempting to express that if I had a 270 gyuto I would probably run it into things while using it, not that you should use a suji instead. I have to pay attention when I'm using the suji to avoid poking stuff, whereas with the 240 gyuto I don't really need to. I suspect that this would change with a longer gyuto.

Glockamole posted:

My kitchen is the size of my old apartment. Four people could comfortably work in it with room for another to do dishes. It's almost awesome enough to make up for living in West Virginia.
My concern for length is more control of the knife than space. I feel like I wouldn't be able to control the tip very well for fine work. I'm open to being convinced that I'm wrong about that.
Also, a general question about wa-gyuto. How do versions with western style slab handles and a full tang handle compared to ones with a hidden or partial tang?

I am jealous of your kitchen size. I'd say go for the 270 in that case.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Glockamole posted:

I have never had any issue with tip control on a 270mm when using a claw grip. Then again, I don't have issues with tip control on a CCK large when using a claw grip so :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
My in-laws recently bought me my first serious knife - a Global G2. And while it is a massive step up from the £30 knives I was using I'm not sure what I should be expecting from it.

I'm definitely more of a push chopper than a rock chopper but a lot of the time my push chopped vegetables are still joined by a very small piece nearest to me. Is this bad technique or the shape of the knife? Am I better off looking at a Santoku knife? I'm considering picking up the Tojiro DP Damascus Santoku as it was recommended in the OP and it's only £45 here.

Finally, I'm using a minosharp to sharpen the G2 but it only seems to keep it razor sharp for 1 or 2 uses (maybe 30 mins of constant use). Is this normal? I'm doing mostly push chopping on a wooden board.

• Locked thread