Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Usenet Magic-User posted:

So is the more competitive 4v4 mode going to return us to a style of play similar to halo 2/3 or do they simply mean 4v4?

It's more competitive, reminds me a lot of Halo 3.

Of course there's new movement options like sprint, grapple, thrust, and ground pound, which some die hards have strong objections to. But I find them to be welcome improvements to the game design and brings it into this decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

MickRaider posted:

Of course there's new movement options like sprint, grapple, thrust, and ground pound, which some die hards have strong objections to. But I find them to be welcome improvements to the game design and brings it into this decade

Eh, I have strong objections to them, but I wont say anything til I play it and see if it works.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

MickRaider posted:

I'm also on team new movement options. The beta was really fun.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Eh, I have strong objections to them, but I wont say anything til I play it and see if it works.

Yeah I understand the objection, but to me Halo 1-3 was too slow. You basically crawl around the map. I always figured they slowed it down just to make it easier for people to acclimate to with a controller. Twitch based games on the PC would much much faster and that's the speed I preferred.

To me, the new movement is an improvement. The grapple just "Makes sense" because who couldn't be able to climb onto stuff? Especially a bio-mech super soldier. The thursters are a nice addition as well because now if you make a slight movement mistake, like poking your head out, you're not just instantly screwed and can recover. Since everyone has it, it balances itself out. The floating while zoomed in is a bit of take it or leave it. Sometimes it's nice because you can jump, hover, and get the kill instead of needing to bounce up and down. It's annoying though when you're trying to strafe while zoomed in and go over a bump, now you're hovering and can't strafe anymore. Though you can disable "hover while zoomed in" in the options.

The ground pound to me is the most "unneeded" of the additions. It kinda makes sense from a lore sort of standpoint, but it just doesn't really flow right and the controls are clunky for it. Especially if you switch from the default control scheme. Also I sucked at it so there's that. Most of the time I forgot it was even in the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would like to play newhalo but I don't really need a bone for anything else.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Groper posted:

This is how I feel as well, but I don't want to buy Microsoft's console just to play halo for a third time. My willpower is poo poo though, I'll probably make it until the first weekend before turning to craigslist to get a bone (and a sack of drugs)

I understand the impulse, at least wait until after christmas/report card time for a better deal and to see if anyone is still playing

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Tighclops posted:

I understand the impulse, at least wait until after christmas/report card time for a better deal and to see if anyone is still playing

Ahhh, but then I'll miss those first two precious weeks when everyone is on, no one knows the maps, and the fresh matchmaking slate + my years of HS-College halo 2 experience allow me to poop on kids with impunity.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
The new movement options in they beta were a lot of fun to play. The thruster adds a lot to the game in my opinion and I can't wait for the 27th. Now I just need to decide if I want to preorder it or not and if I want to get it on disc or digitally.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

im not in the slightest a 343i apologist but racing games tend to look way better because they can reliably know how much of the area the player can see at a time and render accordingly

bioshock infinite is an example of this: it looks pretty good until you move an inch off the rails, racing games dont need to worry about this

ok how about the fact the ps3 viersion of the last of us hhas more impressive foliage than next gen flaghsip title halo 5 lmao

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

FPS require more assets being devoted to things besides pretty grass.

Who gives a gently caress how the foliage looks. Gameplay is all that matters

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MickRaider posted:

FPS require more assets being devoted to things besides pretty grass.

its an action baseg ame on a last gen console there is no exuse

quote:

Who gives a gently caress how the foliage looks. Gameplay is all that matters

then play halo 3

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

heres an fps from last yeayr:

quick bebtter get reayd to pick up those goalposts again

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Halo 5's gameplay looks to be better than halo 3 and it looks better as well. Sorry your autism is making you focus on the poor foliage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MickRaider posted:

Yeah I understand the objection, but to me Halo 1-3 was too slow. You basically crawl around the map. I always figured they slowed it down just to make it easier for people to acclimate to with a controller. Twitch based games on the PC would much much faster and that's the speed I preferred.

Yeah, no joke I hopped into Halo 1 multi on the MCC for the first time in months and months, and I actually found myself saying "where's the run button?"

Holy poo poo is it slow.

That slowness did add to part of why it played well on console though, the low TTK and everything was part of that. Kinda intentionally slowing down the gameplay since you can't be as twitchy as you can on keyboard & mouse.

But yeah, its too drat slow. Need some sprinting options and poo poo.

And I actually really like mantling over walls and stuff, it makes you feel more human and less like a tank. Battlefield and Crysis both feel better because your character has some weight to them, like Mirror's Edge.

Plus there's nothing so frustrating as getting stuck on a knee-high incline. "YOU COULD loving CLIMB THAT, MASTER CHIEF!"

Mr E posted:

I would like to play newhalo but I don't really need a bone for anything else.

Yeah there's literally no other reason. Well, okay, Rare Replay. That's literally it though.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

MickRaider posted:

Halo 5's gameplay looks to be better than halo 3 and it looks better as well. Sorry your autism is making you focus on the poor foliage.

Doom 2 has better gameplay than all of the above checkmate

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Halo 5's gameplay looks to be better than halo 3

lol if u earnestlyl beileve this

quote:

and it looks better as well.

so now graphics do matter? hrmm getiting mixed messages here...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stux posted:

its an action baseg ame on a last gen console there is no exuse

Why doesn't Starcraft 2 look as good as Crysis this is loving bullshit Blizzard

Seriously Stux quit trolling the thread nobody thinks its funny. Everybody hates you.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Pathos posted:

Doom 2 has better gameplay than all of the above checkmate
Quake 3 was the pinnacle of gameplay and graphics and you can gently caress off if you think otherwise :colbert:

Who knew actually playing something and forming an opinion on it could allow you to have an opinion of something that might deviate from people who haven't played it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Why doesn't Starcraft 2 look as good as Crysis this is loving bullshit Blizzard

this but unironically

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

loving beautiful

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

MickRaider posted:

Quake 3 was the pinnacle of gameplay and graphics and you can gently caress off if you think otherwise :colbert:

I dunno. I think Doom2 was a more solid game overall since it had awesome gunfeel and great SP/MP both, but Q3A was fantastic too. I think we can agree on that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MickRaider posted:

loving beautiful

Pfff, get on my level and run the raytraced version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNZt3yDXno

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Best FPS currently is CS:GO so no graphics don't matter.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

But if you say CS:GO's graphics don't matter, the terrorists win. :911:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

-A n i m 8- posted:

why isnt there a 360 port of halo5 then

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

man now I want CS:GO, but I bought CS:S and played it once and got destroyed like a toddler in a NBA game

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Stux posted:

why isnt there a 360 port of halo5 then

how the gently caress should I know?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MickRaider posted:

loving beautiful

The player colors are so bright and saturated! Ugh! :cheeky:

univbee posted:

Pfff, get on my level and run the raytraced version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNZt3yDXno

There's some bug in this implementation, if you stand still it looks fine but as he moves around the level the walls shift slightly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 13, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

-A n i m 8- posted:

how the gently caress should I know?

could u ask ur boso 4 me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MickRaider posted:

man now I want CS:GO, but I bought CS:S and played it once and got destroyed like a toddler in a NBA game

I could never get into CS:S but I actually got pretty into CS:GO for awhile, its pretty approachable.

Although there's a whole mess of a gun economy going on which is flippin' insane. But then again I did manage to make $400 off a knife drop so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
f

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smaller than average patch notesfor MCC this time.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 15, 2015

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
lol stux gets told to stop posting in loving yospos. literally the only place he isnt universally hated is the xbox is bad thread full of brokebrained weirdos. what a cool fulfilling life

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

lol stux gets told to stop posting in loving yospos. literally the only place he isnt universally hated is the xbox is bad thread full of brokebrained weirdos. what a cool fulfilling life

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC update is out!!!! 711 MB patch

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/content-update-notes-10-13-15

quote:

The next time you log into Halo: The Master Chief Collection, you will be prompted to download the latest content update, which focuses on the addition of new systems for matchmaking penalties and other top-requested community items.

Below, you’ll find a summary of what is included in today’s update:

Implemented new systems and temporary bans for matchmaking penalties. These include penalties for:

Quits
Betrayals
Idling

Note: Leaving the game before finishing (any time from the start of voting until the game concludes) will result in a loss for your ranking and a penalty to your Xbox One reputation. After this update, if you quit, betray, or idle too many times during a set period of time, you will be temporarily banned from playing matchmaking. If you continue to engage in negative behavior after the temporary ban has lifted, you will continue to receive temporary bans that are subsequently longer in length.

Players will now receive a quit penalty and rank penalty for quitting any time after matchmaking voting begins in all matchmaking playlists, both ranked and unranked

Added matchmaking betrayal booting for Halo: Combat Evolved

Matchmaking voting now randomizes winner in the case of a tie, rather than selecting the left-most option

Made a variety of improvements to ranking calculation

Fixed an issue which could result in ranking down after winning a match

Emblems and clan tags, in addition to gamertags, are now hidden while searching for a
match
Updated Team colors to always appear correctly in Forge mode

The level of menu music will now drop when other players join a lobby / are connected to other players

The controller schematic for H1 "Boxer" now correctly matches the in-game control layout

Improved Classic/Remastered UI launch settings for Halo: CE and Halo 2 Campaign

Improved matchmaking messaging to players

Fixed an issue where lobby player positions could shuffle after a promotion to party leader

Fixed an issue where players could select and use nameplates that they had not unlocked

Fixed an issue where profiles could match into a game after the match started

Made a variety of fixes for players who could become stuck at the “Downloading Latest Data” screen

Fixed the glitched Who Needs Them? achievement

Improved a variety of compatibility issues

Made a variety of stability improvements

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now the real question is how many things did they break to fix that stuff

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

Now the real question is how many things did they break to fix that stuff

I've been waiting for a couple of months to play. Now they just need to add join in progress for custom games, fix Halo CE hit detection, Halo 2 emblems (personally, I prefer callsigns instead), some voice chat things and some other minor things and the game should then be fully functional.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I've been waiting for a couple of months to play. Now they just need to add join in progress for custom games, fix Halo CE hit detection, Halo 2 emblems (personally, I prefer callsigns instead), some voice chat things and some other minor things and the game should then be fully functional.

Well they have 2 weeks to get your "will lower Halo 5's player numbers" ideas implemented so odds are in your favor!

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Zaphod quit playing poo poo games like Halo and Battlefront and come back to GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

i always felt like halo 3's hit detection was off from what i remember. then again i was usually drunk or really high or both when i would play that game

• Locked thread