Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

fyodor posted:

who cares about resale if you plan to daily drive a car for 15 years/into the ground? The GTI outlook has never been better! (says a guy who just bought a FoST)

That may actually be a good thing if you're buying used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

spleen merchant posted:

My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee
I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.

You can buy a spacer to get the Focus and Fiesta pedals in a more appropriate location. I added one to my Focus and it made a night and day difference to my enjoyment of the thing.

That thing is awesome, I wish we got the quirky French stuff here...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just did another oil change on the FiST and the Fumoto valve I put on it almost makes me forgive the horrible oil filter placement. (I have huge hands)

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

spleen merchant posted:

My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.

Really interested to hear your thoughts on this. I was trying to cross shop the showroom run out stock of these with the Fiesta, but the local Renault dealership told me I'd have to fly to Melbourne if I actually wanted to drive one. Time wasn't on my side for that one, but I can't shake the feeling that the RenaultSport may have been a better time overall.

Coincidentally the thing that had me shopping for a new car was a unreliable Peugeot too :smith: :hf: :smith: My 205 GTi worked to it's own schedule, not mine.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

sadnessboner posted:

Really interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Seconded! Those are unfamiliar to me beyond a glowing review I found just now and Renault's reputation.

technocr4t
Jun 3, 2014

sadnessboner posted:

My 205 GTi worked to it's own schedule, not mine.

How very French.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
For anyone that's into modding their FiST I highly recommend looking into Adam Brunson at Modern Automotive Performance as he offers lifetime tuning for $250. Any time you make a change and need to update your tune he usually hooks you up within 24-48 hours with revisions. MAP is also almost finished with the development of their turbo kit which should be pretty spectacular. In the past month they've released their downpipe, exhaust, intake and charge pipes with the intercooler coming next week or so and the turbo kit some time in November. It's all basicaly top notch at this point.

I've been working with him on my tune and it's been a great experience so far, my car is much more enjoyable to drive lately. Here's a blog post he made about tuning his (at the time) bone stock FiST project car:

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/2015-ford-fiesta-st-rd-project-tuning-with-the-cobb-accessport/

Here's a link to his FiestaSTForum.com R&D thread, specifically the intercooler post. Those end tanks are works of art:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ll=1#post112852

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coolnezzz posted:

For anyone that's into modding their FiST I highly recommend looking into Adam Brunson at Modern Automotive Performance as he offers lifetime tuning for $250. Any time you make a change and need to update your tune he usually hooks you up within 24-48 hours with revisions. MAP is also almost finished with the development of their turbo kit which should be pretty spectacular. In the past month they've released their downpipe, exhaust, intake and charge pipes with the intercooler coming next week or so and the turbo kit some time in November. It's all basicaly top notch at this point.

I've been working with him on my tune and it's been a great experience so far, my car is much more enjoyable to drive lately. Here's a blog post he made about tuning his (at the time) bone stock FiST project car:

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/2015-ford-fiesta-st-rd-project-tuning-with-the-cobb-accessport/

Here's a link to his FiestaSTForum.com R&D thread, specifically the intercooler post. Those end tanks are works of art:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ll=1#post112852

It'd be great, if he wasn't in friggin' Minnesota. Also, I saw that R&D thread, but I went for a DHM oversized intercooler and crash bar. So here's to dying in a 25 MPH impact!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

It'd be great, if he wasn't in friggin' Minnesota. Also, I saw that R&D thread, but I went for a DHM oversized intercooler and crash bar. So here's to dying in a 25 MPH impact!

Yeah, that'd be nice. Luckily he can tune our cars remotely, I just wish I was closer so I could go there in person some time and check things out / have him tune on their dyno.

I also have a DHM intercooler though mine is just the stock sized replacement. Took him 3 drat months to build it for me though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coolnezzz posted:

Yeah, that'd be nice. Luckily he can tune our cars remotely, I just wish I was closer so I could go there in person some time and check things out / have him tune on their dyno.

I also have a DHM intercooler though mine is just the stock sized replacement. Took him 3 drat months to build it for me though.

Honestly, I've gotten a bad vibe about it already. Right after I initially ordered it on his website, it was removed for the site, and he e-mailed me saying it was going to take a while due to "production problems". I told him that I'd be willing to wait as long as it was finished before the end of October as I have a track event in early November, and he gave me the "no problem!" response. Since then, I haven't heard poo poo from the guy, and he's posted a group buy thread on fiestastforum, taking 10 more orders. And when I (and several other people) asked about the safety of the crash bar, his response was basically "Testing? We don't need no stinkin' testing! IT'S CHROMOLY, LIKE A ROLL CAGE! Stronk! If you're scared of dying in an accident maybe the RACE crash bar isn't for you, because it's for RACE."

I understand he's a one-man fabrication shop, but c'mon. You're literally replacing the integrated chassis and accident protection of the car with your own piece with no testing whatsoever and then getting pissy when people ask if you've done testing?

EDIT: Yeah, after typing that out I realize it's pretty pants-on-head retarded to trust accident safety to a guy whose response is "I got my chromoly welding cert and that makes me qualified to design a safety structure". Canceled my order, will be buying the Cobb.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 1, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sigma X posted:

...I understand he's a one-man fabrication shop, but c'mon. You're literally replacing the integrated chassis and accident protection of the car with your own piece with no testing whatsoever and then getting pissy when people ask if you've done testing?...

The owner/fabricator/one-man-band was nice enough to refund my money without much fuss, although he did ask me why. I'm not sure he liked my answer. Already ordered the Cobb intercooler and hard pipe kit instead.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just saw that my rear wing of my '13 ST is bit crooked. Not sure how long its been that way, but I'm 1k over my warranty miles. Chances of the Ford Dealership laughing in my face when I ask for them to fix it for free?

Alternate route: wing risers - yay/nay? http://www.boombaracing.com/focus-st-wing-risers/

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

Honestly, I've gotten a bad vibe about it already. Right after I initially ordered it on his website, it was removed for the site, and he e-mailed me saying it was going to take a while due to "production problems". I told him that I'd be willing to wait as long as it was finished before the end of October as I have a track event in early November, and he gave me the "no problem!" response. Since then, I haven't heard poo poo from the guy, and he's posted a group buy thread on fiestastforum, taking 10 more orders. And when I (and several other people) asked about the safety of the crash bar, his response was basically "Testing? We don't need no stinkin' testing! IT'S CHROMOLY, LIKE A ROLL CAGE! Stronk! If you're scared of dying in an accident maybe the RACE crash bar isn't for you, because it's for RACE."

I understand he's a one-man fabrication shop, but c'mon. You're literally replacing the integrated chassis and accident protection of the car with your own piece with no testing whatsoever and then getting pissy when people ask if you've done testing?

EDIT: Yeah, after typing that out I realize it's pretty pants-on-head retarded to trust accident safety to a guy whose response is "I got my chromoly welding cert and that makes me qualified to design a safety structure". Canceled my order, will be buying the Cobb.

Yeah I agree with you completely, DHM seems very shady and there is no way I would use their crash bar on the street. I especially like how it took him loving forever to actually make the first group buy batch and he kept promising things were going to speed up in their shop while everyone and their mom jumped into his thread to white-knight at the slightest hint of someone calling him out on all of the bullshit he was spewing. I had to start bugging him on Facebook just about every day to get him to finally ship mine.

The intercooler is really nice though.

MAP on the other hand has been wonderful to work with. Really looking forward to their turbo kit which should be released in the next month or two.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 3, 2015

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So I just noticed the active grill shutters on my focus, and that the linkages on the part covering the lower intercooler are not connected. I scheduled a appointment with a dealership to take a look at it, but has anyone else ever noticed an issue like that?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

:mmmhmm:

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

spleen merchant posted:

Great choice. My dad has one of these and this got me into the world of Renaultsport. The engine is hands down a gem, NA and revs to 7500. Brilliant chassis and handles like it's on rails. You won't be disappointed. One of the last of the last truly great Renaultsport cars before they got into this softer, DSG-only era.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coolnezzz posted:

...there is no way I would use their crash bar on the street...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cross-posted from Terrible Car Stuff thread:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

If the bitch is insecure about riding around in a hooptie (let alone a new-ish economy car) it's a deal-breaker.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Later on he posted that no woman in his neighborhood would ever willingly be seen in a Focus, which is just yet another argument for killing and eating that specific type of rich person.

edit: in fairness my girlfriend hates the recaros to the point where she took off the headrest so she will 100% die in any serious accident.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Later on he posted that no woman in his neighborhood would ever willingly be seen in a Focus, which is just yet another argument for killing and eating that specific type of rich person.

edit: in fairness my girlfriend hates the recaros to the point where she took off the headrest so she will 100% die in any serious accident.

The headrest is the goddamn awful part of a set of good seats.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
How unreasonable is it that I want to replace my '15 Miata with a Fiesta ST or Focus ST? Even though it's a second car I'm finding the Miata to not be as practical as I want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sigma X posted:

I concur, although it doesn't bother me as much as it does her. I did notice that on the RS the headrest looks a bit slimmer in the interior pictures vs my 2013 ST3 but I am not sure if that is really accurate. I may try to sit in a 2015 when I go in for service in a few weeks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TheWevel posted:

How unreasonable is it that I want to replace my '15 Miata with a Fiesta ST or Focus ST? Even though it's a second car I'm finding the Miata to not be as practical as I want.

I have one of each ('13 Miata and '15 Fiesta ST) and they are the perfect car combination. Have both and get rid of whatever your daily is. Miata is the daily on nice days when you don't need to haul anything, Fiesta for anything that doesn't qualify as a Miata day.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

GutBomb posted:

I have one of each ('13 Miata and '15 Fiesta ST) and they are the perfect car combination. Have both and get rid of whatever your daily is. Miata is the daily on nice days when you don't need to haul anything, Fiesta for anything that doesn't qualify as a Miata day.

I'm jealous of you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

What's wrong with the headrests? My GLI had Recarros and they were great.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

What's wrong with the headrests? My GLI had Recarros and they were great.

They force your head too far forward. On longer drives, I either deal with a neckache, or I sit with my back not actually touching the seatback.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

They force your head too far forward. On longer drives, I either deal with a neckache, or I sit with my back not actually touching the seatback.

Right, wasn't an issue on my GLI due to the fact that I pretty much never fully lean back anyway. The Recarros didn't breathe at all and made my back sweaty.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Am I missing something with the seat head rests on the recaros? I love the ability to tilt the things and found them perfectly comfortable for my cross country road trip I just did.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Optimus Subprime posted:

Am I missing something with the seat head rests on the recaros? I love the ability to tilt the things and found them perfectly comfortable for my cross country road trip I just did.

The FiST Recaro headrests don't tilt. At least not MY15.

EDIT: I didn't have a plumb bob handy, so here's an approximation. The headphone cable is as vertical as I could get it, despite the odd camera angle. This is how far forward the headrest is vs. the seatback at my "normal" driving position:

EDIT2: It is meeting the back of the seat around 1/2" from where my thumb is.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 13, 2015

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Do the pre 2015 focus St recaros head rests tilt? They do on my 2015, and they're great for how far you want your head forward or if you're wearing a helmet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"Ever since I rode a motorcycle what's the point of driving anything with more than 40hp." -Goons in the terrible car stuff thread talking about the focus st.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Optimus Subprime posted:

They're adjustable? If they are I haven't figured it out. I am MY13.

veedubfreak posted:

Right, wasn't an issue on my GLI due to the fact that I pretty much never fully lean back anyway. The Recarros didn't breathe at all and made my back sweaty.

Recaro makes multiple different seats, man.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're adjustable? If they are I haven't figured it out. I am MY13.

Recaro makes multiple different seats, man.

Ya, I'm just saying the Recarros I had were nice other than the material being super tight and basically waterproof. It's almost as if I stated an opinion.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You guys are aware that the headrests are tilted forward to help prevent neck injury from whiplash, right?

One of the Recaro engineers have a talk at the V-Lab about how the designed the seats in the CTS-V, with a mechanism in the seat to track and stabilize your neck in a rear end collision.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MetaJew posted:

You guys are aware that the headrests are tilted forward to help prevent neck injury from whiplash, right?

One of the Recaro engineers have a talk at the V-Lab about how the designed the seats in the CTS-V, with a mechanism in the seat to track and stabilize your neck in a rear end collision.
Yes, but the forced-forward posture can cause other problems. Not to mention it's drat uncomfortable.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fyodor posted:

Cross-posted from Terrible Car Stuff thread:

My wife loves my Abarth and defends it when anyone criticizes it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Very aware of the reasoning but it is quite uncomfortable on long drives. The best solution is a mobile headreast like on the CTS-V or the various Volvos.

In fact I would pay a lot of money to get a nice pair of Volvo sport seats in the car.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I put a $1000 deposit down on the Focus RS at MSRP. Incredibly easy stuff took around 40 minutes. Now for my impatient rear end to wait until this car is built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You're doing it wrong!