Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

various cheeses posted:

If that guy is supposed to be your gotcha then lol. That guy is an absolute piece of poo poo and deserves to be removed from society and does not represent me at all. I don't leave my house unlocked like bait in a trap. I'm minding my own business in my locked home, not lying in wait like a trapdoor spider.

I mean yeah no wonder you think all gun owners are bloodthirsty murderers if you only read news stories like that.

I don't think they're bloodthirsty murderers, generally, I think they're largely cowards with fantasies of getting to kill someone, since it makes them feel strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

What the hell?
Do you keep your gun in your pocket?
Where do you keep yours?

Effectronica posted:

So all they have to do to get in is set up a honey trap and steal all your stuff while you're still scrambling to untangle your pants. Or just shoot you, as all criminals do, while you're attempting coitus interruptus. Very smart move on your part.
This is why I have practiced until I can draw a hammerless j-frame from my own rectum in one smooth motion.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The only way to be really safe is to shove the gun up your rear end whenever you need to be naked, and have it in your hands, safety off, whenever you're on the toilet. The pro-gun dweebs in this thread are pikers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is why I have practiced until I can draw a hammerless j-frame from my own rectum in one smooth motion.

a hammerless j-frame is a weird thing to call an argument dude

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

The only way to be really safe is to shove the gun up your rear end

thousands of red-blooded flag waving americans do this every year, but the anus is inconveniently located and far from the brainstem, so they tend to use their mouths instead

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Literally The Worst posted:

hey lemme you in on something: he wasn't about to shoot you for fun

Hmm sounds rational, except he did actually take a shot at me as I was running away

Funny how criminal gun owners get the benefit of the doubt, but lawful gun owners are just waiting to commit murder

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

thousands of red-blooded flag waving americans do this every year, but the anus is inconveniently located and far from the brainstem, so they tend to use their mouths instead

They're the real heroes here, frankly, and I salute them.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Where do you keep yours?

I don't have a gun, I don't need one since I live in a country where they are largely and rightly considered unnecessary and dangerous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Funny how criminal gun owners get the benefit of the doubt, but lawful gun owners are just waiting to commit murder

well, statistically,

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Hmm sounds rational, except he did actually take a shot at me as I was running away

i promise you, he wasn't just like "you know what'd be cool? upgrading robbery to murder". he did it because you ran and he thought you had more on you, i guarnatee it was not "for kicks"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I've rechambered an AR-15 for .50 BMG so that in case a roving gang of crooks tries to ram my house, I can shoot out their engine block and then pop them all one-by-one as they run out.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

i promise you, he wasn't just like "you know what'd be cool? upgrading robbery to murder". he did it because you ran and he thought you had more on you, i guarnatee it was not "for kicks"

well i mean if you were holding out on the robber then yeah, you had it coming

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Effectronica posted:

The only way to be really safe is to shove the gun up your rear end whenever you need to be naked, and have it in your hands, safety off, whenever you're on the toilet. The pro-gun dweebs in this thread are pikers.
Nothing says "safe sex" like 5 rounds of .38 +P JHPs at the ready just in case.

I also keep an M72 under the bed in case it turns out my partner was really a BMP-2 the whole time.

Fool me once...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hahaha he did it because I had more on me

"what a lovely drop" he muses to himself as he rifles through my corpse's pockets

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The death penalty is nothing more than state sanctioned murder.

Again this is a question coming from a genuine place, but isn't that true for Castle Doctrine laws and such too, then? I mean, both are saying 'this guy did this thing, he's worth less as a human and can be killed without problem'. Why does a citizen doing it make the act more legitimate than the state?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Snowman Crossing posted:

the least he could have done was to give the address of the dude he was delivering to, because said dude, expecting pizza, would have opened his door with cash in his hands

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Life is basically Dungeons and Dragons, and the urban/suburban encounter table reads
1-19: Criminals
20: Law-abiding citizen

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

"what a lovely drop" he muses to himself as he rifles through my corpse's pockets
Hey as long as he had a good reason for murdering you over a pizza you shouldn't get salty about it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Again this is a question coming from a genuine place, but isn't that true for Castle Doctrine laws and such too, then? I mean, both are saying 'this guy did this thing, he's worth less as a human and can be killed without problem'. Why does a citizen doing it make the act more legitimate than the state?
There is a difference between killing in self defense and killing in retribution. If a citizen locked a guy in his basement for 25 years and then shot him, that'd be bad too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
rent-a-cop doesn't it make you self-conscious that your j-frame doesn't have a hammer

I've got the model 649, that means if it ever comes down to you and me dueling at 160 yards over the last can of dinty moore on earth, I've got an advantage

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snowman Crossing posted:

this is not what i'm saying at all dipshit

SedanChair posted:

that is in fact why, yes, unless you think all criminals are just itchin for a chance to face murder charges

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Because it's less likely to get caught, and you have more time to remove valuable items from the premises?

If your house is that small, you won't have time to reach for your gun in case of a home invasion, unless it isn't stored properly. In which case you are an irresponsible gun owner and ought to have all of them taken from you.

The courts have generally ruled that if you are home, you do not need to have a personal weapon completely disassembled and locked in a safe in a secret room down a hidden passage which requires you to negotiate a gauntlet of obstacles to get to.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"That guy cut me off because he wanted to rape me."

"He did not cut you off because of that."

"Oh, so he was right to cut me off? Huh? Huh?"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

The courts have generally ruled that if you are home, you do not need to have a personal weapon completely disassembled and locked in a safe in a secret room down a hidden passage which requires you to negotiate a gauntlet of obstacles to get to.

it's a good thing its possible to store a gun safely without doing that then

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

SedanChair posted:

rent-a-cop doesn't it make you self-conscious that your j-frame doesn't have a hammer

I've got the model 649, that means if it ever comes down to you and me dueling at 160 yards over the last can of dinty moore on earth, I've got an advantage
I don't intend to survive the apocalypse so that's fine.

gently caress roaming the wasteland battling bandits for rat meat. I'll just sit back, crack a beer, and let the nukes fall where they may.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

-Troika- posted:

It's a shame that they haven't rendered an opinion criminalizing dishonesty, because then you'd be in for a hell of a time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

ITT Richie Rich and friends richsplain to us poor slobs how if we don't want to get murdered we should hire Blackwater.

I mean I would think if you cared about it enough to equip yourself with deadly force you would do some other stuff too but

also I would think getting a gun and learning how to use it effectively would cost you more than some window bars and a door reinforcement kit but maybe I'm wrong

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So hey another question because I just remembered an event I was at a while back. It was a gun event, one of those 'we're here to talk about self defense but also totally sell you on a gun/nra membership' type things, and the dude running it, I don't remember if he said he was from the NRA or anything but he had a hat and poo poo which I'm told by King of the Hill is basically a badge here in Texas. Anyway, his whole thing on home defense was that you get your gun, lock your door, call the cops, and tell the invader that you called the cops and are armed, and wait for the cops to show up.

This is what all you guys are talking about when you talk about using a gun to defend yourself, right? I mean, in most cases of gun self defense the gun isn't even fired, so, you guys working into a froth here are all planning to, as plan A, use your gun as a threat deterrent before a weapon, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you're supposed to also work up to a half chub in the meantime thinking about what happens if the criminal breaks in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So hey another question because I just remembered an event I was at a while back. It was a gun event, one of those 'we're here to talk about self defense but also totally sell you on a gun/nra membership' type things, and the dude running it, I don't remember if he said he was from the NRA or anything but he had a hat and poo poo which I'm told by King of the Hill is basically a badge here in Texas. Anyway, his whole thing on home defense was that you get your gun, lock your door, call the cops, and tell the invader that you called the cops and are armed, and wait for the cops to show up.

This is what all you guys are talking about when you talk about using a gun to defend yourself, right? I mean, in most cases of gun self defense the gun isn't even fired, so, you guys working into a froth here are all planning to, as plan A, use your gun as a threat deterrent before a weapon, right?

maybe

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean I would think if you cared about it enough to equip yourself with deadly force you would do some other stuff too but

also I would think getting a gun and learning how to use it effectively would cost you more than some window bars and a door reinforcement kit but maybe I'm wrong

Most people end up paying between $500 and $1200 for window bars, depending on where they live. A reinforced door and frame (no point having one without the other) runs more than that. This is assuming you actually own your home and arn't just renting, in which case welp too bad you probably can't do any renovations.

A Glock 17, one of the more popular handguns in the US, generally runs between $400 and $600 bucks.

e: Also a home security system can run anywhere between $300 and $1800 on average.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yeah I posted a link to this effect and it was superbly ignored by the new heroes of our time.

http://www.crimedoctor.com/homeinvasion.htm

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Charles Bronson would never hide behind a door.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

Most people end up paying between $500 and $1200 for window bars, depending on where they live. A reinforced door and frame (no point having one without the other) runs more than that. This is assuming you actually own your home and arn't just renting, in which case welp too bad you probably can't do any renovations.

A Glock 17, one of the more popular handguns in the US, generally runs between $400 and $600 bucks.

e: Also a home security system can run anywhere between $300 and $1800 on average.

you can get a knife for fifty bucks, or a dog for free, and both of those are equally effective at murdering, as i've been told by people who say how restricting access to guns won't stop mass murders

not that i want to restrict gun ownership of course, too many americans exercise their rights every year for me to stand in their way. i'm just looking out for your bottom line in these hard times

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

-Troika- posted:

The subtle but unmistakable hint that you will not be practicing an ounce of responsibility regarding your firearm ownership.

Sweet.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Actually, that's when you press the remote that detonates the TV while playing the "Welcome to prime time, bitch!" clip from Nightmare on Elm Street. Or the one that rolls down shutters and floods your home with deadly levels of carbon dioxide whole you sit snug in SCBA gear until they're dead.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That's what you do in this state if you want to completely indemnify yourself from possible criminal charges if you use deadly force against the intruder, yes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but yeah Plan A is lock the door, call the cops, and hope they decide to actually show up.

Effectronica posted:

Actually, that's when you press the remote that detonates the TV while playing the "Welcome to prime time, bitch!" clip from Nightmare on Elm Street.
You gotta detonate the TV after the clip plays or what's the point? Also the Xbox is absolutely filled to the brim with scorpions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but yeah Plan A is lock the door, call the cops, and hope they decide to actually show up.

are you talking about a home invasion scenario or the far more common self-directed self defense

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

are you talking about a home invasion scenario or the far more common self-directed self defense
If I ever need to defend myself from myself I think I can count on the local PD to shoot both of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah sedanchair. Shame on you for making that poor criminal's job harder by not giving him ALL of your money.

Truly the world is mad when we flock to the Internet to defend people committing armed robbery.

• Locked thread