Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Peace? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Rev. Bedford likes to end emails in a laid back manner maybe?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The legal department might have told him that "God bless" might generate some complaints, since he's had to be reminded in the past that emailing sermons to every employee is probably inappropriate.

Also, that entire email can be summarized in a Mythbusters quote. "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
My thoughts on Republic can best be summed up by this image meme:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
"But no one else is suing us! (yet)" doesn't seem the strongest of refutations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy poo poo I am a CFI now, doesn't feel real.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 8, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Goongratulations. Now go celebrate by applying to some ab inito school so you can teach Chinese and Indian students for a year!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Congrats! I'm pretty sure there are essentially infinite numbers of hours to be had in the VRB/FPR area, if you're willing to get killed by train the aforementioned foreign students.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congratulations. It takes hard work to get there. NEVER let it expire. Even if you lose your medical.

Start slow. Maybe a couple BFR's and some intro flights. Get comfortable with yourself and then go from there!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey congrats. I want a trip report the first time you do an intro flight or fly with a complete stranger. It's surreal.

Small accomplishment today: I passed my initial 293.(a) with my company. My first of many 135 checks and I got some great compliments from the FSDO on my aviation knowledge :D

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 9, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

:toot: :siren: OP Updated

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Captain Apollo posted:

Dear Vessbot,

Make an effort post on babbys first aerobatic lessons in airplanes cause you have a ton of knowledge and I don't even know where to start with this stuff.

I just might, if I can arse myself to. I was literally gonna do this years ago (along with a tailwheel post) but never got around to it.

Bob A Feet posted:

Who was sitting right seat? This is exactly something CRM is meant to fix.

Not really. With the necessary response time, there's no time for collaborative decision making, or any type of discussion in a case like this. An unusual attitude recovery is a single-pilot procedure. The only exception is if the FO loudly yells "I have the controls" and takes over. (The nuclear option)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Altimeter setting was 29.03 this AM taking off from Fairbanks.
Personal best.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So, what will change in regulations now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

God willing, US politicians will be banned from flying because they seem to be really poo poo at it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

How does this picture come from him having "mistakenly turned onto a service road thinking it was a taxiway and the plane's left wing clipped a fence?"

edit: ok, I can see it, I thought there was road/taxiway behind him, but it's a road along the fence. Got too close wingtip hit the fence and turned him into the fence. Was thrown off since it looks like that's an entry point to the airport he crashed head-first into.

fordan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 12, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since it was a Texas state senator, I'm sure that the Mexicans and/or gays are going to be blamed for this.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Too bad he's pro-taxi, he could have just aborted instead. :smugdog:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Too bad he's pro-taxi, he could have just aborted instead. :smugdog:

:drat:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Also looks like its a State senator, not a DC guy, so no one will take notice

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

PT6A posted:

God willing, US politicians will be banned from flying because they seem to be really poo poo at it.

Careful, you'll piss off Apollo, he'll obviously argue that it was all the FAA's fault somehow :bahgawd:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Butt Reactor posted:

Careful, you'll piss off Apollo, he'll obviously argue that it was all the FAA's fault somehow :bahgawd:

Pilots know best for themselves whether they're turning onto a service road or a taxiway, I'm sure :v:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I mean like, the fence though. Taxiway vs. service road is almost understandable, but running head on into a fence?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I signed off his last flight review. :ohdear:

This was a joke....

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 13, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dev null posted:

I mean like, the fence though. Taxiway vs. service road is almost understandable, but running head on into a fence?

The left wing clipped the fence and spun the plane around into the fence. See a few posts up.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Somebody pull up a taxi diagram and point out where all this happened. The beechtalk guys think that his nose ended up lying directly where the 'old terminal' used to be.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I need to vent about this because I've had too much free time to think about it lately. (for reference, I'm a military student jet pilot who is [was] almost done with the jet training pipeline)

About 3 weeks ago I got a medical grounding because I had a heart arrhythmia event. Never had any previous issues, all my previous ECG's have been perfect, it's not life-threatening, and it didn't happen in the jet, but it was definitely making me feel lovely enough that I was not going to get back in the jet for the second flight of the day.

Now I'm looking at probably a couple months before I can go in and get some minor, catheter-based heart surgery to correct it. Then I get to fight for a waiver to (maybe) fly again. I was like 3-4 months away from getting my wings. I guess the good news is that they're not immediately dropping me from training (T-45 flight time is like $5000/hr, they've got a lot invested in me) but it's a pretty lovely place to be. I'm sure I'll have a SUPER fun time dealing with the FAA after all this as well, if I ever want to fly civilian again.

Luckily the heart pill they put me on in the meantime says I only have to "limit" my drinking, so as long as I stop at some point every night I should be fine :v:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just a reminder according to the AF, if you have more than 2 drinks a week, you should seek treatment. :suicide:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

SeaborneClink posted:

Just a reminder according to the AF, if you have more than 2 drinks a week, you should seek treatment. :suicide:

I've had 2 drinks since lunch.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

overdesigned posted:

I need to vent about this because I've had too much free time to think about it lately. (for reference, I'm a military student jet pilot who is [was] almost done with the jet training pipeline)

About 3 weeks ago I got a medical grounding because I had a heart arrhythmia event. Never had any previous issues, all my previous ECG's have been perfect, it's not life-threatening, and it didn't happen in the jet, but it was definitely making me feel lovely enough that I was not going to get back in the jet for the second flight of the day.

Now I'm looking at probably a couple months before I can go in and get some minor, catheter-based heart surgery to correct it. Then I get to fight for a waiver to (maybe) fly again. I was like 3-4 months away from getting my wings. I guess the good news is that they're not immediately dropping me from training (T-45 flight time is like $5000/hr, they've got a lot invested in me) but it's a pretty lovely place to be. I'm sure I'll have a SUPER fun time dealing with the FAA after all this as well, if I ever want to fly civilian again.

Luckily the heart pill they put me on in the meantime says I only have to "limit" my drinking, so as long as I stop at some point every night I should be fine :v:

Go get a civilian class 3 medical RIGHT NOW in case the exemption passes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

IceLicker posted:

I've had 2 drinks since lunch.

Only 2? Jesus man. Do you fly tommorow or something?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

overdesigned posted:

I'm so sorry man. I hope it works out for you. I'm glad they're retaining you for a bit until you can work out the medical stuff. My buddy was flying T45s in Kingsville and got into a motorcycle accident. He was booted from the program without getting a chance to heal first.

He's flying 737s for Alaska now, though, so it's not all bad.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

overdesigned posted:

Ugh. But there's is a path forward; you just get to take a detour.

Captain Apollo posted:

Go get a civilian class 3 medical RIGHT NOW in case the exemption passes.

Too late unless he lies. Let's not reopen that can of worms.

Also, he said "again" so he may have already had one. And a military jet pilot leaving the military is probably looking more at options that involved 1st class medicals.

But 1st class medicals are possible with heart surgery; just need a clean bill of health from the cardiologist afterwards and lots of status updates.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I figure I can probably get at least a Class 3 again, eventually (I have a PPL), so I can still fly SOME kind of plane on the outside in the event that the worst happens. But do I want to (and will I have the money to) jump through all those hoops? Who knows.

I figure having a documented (I mean, I was admitted to the ER via the base clinic) heart event prooooobably invalidates any existing Class 3 med I used to have. Which I only did have in the form of my previous military physical, which counts as a Class 3. Except that physical is invalid now, since I got grounded.

So whatever. In the meantime, I have to sit around. And watch jets fly over my apartment every day.

Thanks for the well-wishes and etc guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I hope you get better and can maintain a class 1 medical. Another reason why the focus ought to be on reforming the medical system itself rather than coming up with exemptions to get around a fundamentally flawed process.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Today's the final day of operations for US Airways. The last flight is SFO-PHL, US 1939, with the flight number a nod to the first year of operations for All American, the company at the root of what US became. It itself is the last segment of a hub-hopping flight which runs PHL-CLT-PHX before positioning to SFO to be the last flight.

A lot of my avgeekery as a kid came from flying USAir in the '90s.

e- I guess US is technically America West and the "real" US disappeared in 2005, but whatever.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 16, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Flying US Airways back to my new apartment today because I just passed my first 135 checkride.

I can finally get going in the LR-60.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I cannot say that I'm sorry to see USAir go.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

I am, they were always fantastic to me as a nonrev, upgrading me whenever possible and generally being super sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Bad news then; have you looked at the board of directors of America West American Airlines?

Animal posted:

I am, they were always fantastic to me as a nonrev, upgrading me whenever possible and generally being super sweet.

As an "elite" flyer I'm sorry to see the free upgrades US Airways offered disappear as well.

• Locked thread