Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

I am recovering from a caramel-related incident that ended with me getting minor burns on 60% of my hand.

Don't gently caress with molten chocolate, kids
It could be worse, we had a bowl with melted chocolate for dipping stuff in along with doing baking stuff at Christmas that fell and busted. Turns out one of the the few things worse than a boiling hot sticky liquid splashing on you is a boiling hot sticky liquid with shards of loving glass mixed in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

How about a :siren:Double Update!:siren: for being so patient with me while my hand healed?

Episode 27 - That Was Not The Surprise I Was Expecting
Episode 28 - Frenemy

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
some really bad game audio desync in this batch.

also jesus christ, I forgot how lovely of a boss the Bulblax is in this game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to admit, that was not the ending I expected.

Also, thanks you you Fae I've started playing Pikmin 3 again, so thanks for that!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This is why, when dating Joey, you never bring her flowers.

"Oh, they're lovely! You're so kind!" *pummels you to death*

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Had you not restarted day 29, you would have lost a total of 121 Pikmin to Bulblax.

Bulblax, more like Bulbshit

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Amusingly enough, I didn't know about that method for fighting the amoeba; you can just let it die of attrition from pummeling just fine. And, bloop, forgot there was a second video.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 9, 2015

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
Doesn't the Bulblax get stunned a lot longer if you throw a bomb into its mouth, rather than sacrificing yellows? IIRC he shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 cycles that way.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Mamuta appears on day 8, and then again on every even day. Goolix appears on day 9 and again every odd day, and so it can be useful to take an even day of in an area to grind up 150 flowers, which can allow you to do what would have otherwise taken 2 days in another area, but you'll have more pikmin left afterwards

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I actually preferred going on days when the amoeba is there; there's tons of nectar at the crash site, especially if you have a little luck with the Iridescent Flint Beetles, and I hate having to pluck so many Pikmin, especially in the first game.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 29 - Heavy Sigh

Goddammit Olimar

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Olimar...was the life of 100+ sentient creatures worth your piggy bank?

Guys, is Pikmin really a metaphor for the capitalist takeover in America?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Olimar...was the life of 100+ sentient creatures worth your piggy bank?

Guys, is Pikmin really a metaphor for the capitalist takeover in America?

I'm not sure that I'd rank creatures that can't figure out how to get across a corner or not to stand in fire without constant instruction as sentient.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Almost didn't even need to watch this episode to know what happened. Congratulations on knocking off Bulblax, now one more day and then that's it for Pikmin 1! Definitely looking forward to Pikmin 2 (which I've never actually beaten, come to think of it).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Geostomp posted:

I'm not sure that I'd rank creatures that can't figure out how to get across a corner or not to stand in fire without constant instruction as sentient.

When dealing with plants, I think sentience is set to be a low bar.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
BULBLAX COUNT: A grand total of 201 Pikmin were slain at the Emperor's hand. Good Work team!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

At least they died for a good cause!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Pyroi posted:

BULBLAX COUNT: A grand total of 201 Pikmin were slain at the Emperor's hand. Good Work team!

It may still be too early to call that. We still need to walk across that bridge to get the part tomorrow - Emperor Bulblax's ghost has another shot at claiming a few more lives.

Now you may probably think that's spoilers because I'm the co-commentator but we recorded this over a month ago and I have no idea if we lost yet more to the bridge or not.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I'm not counting the deaths via drowning in that count, only what Bulblax ate for Breakfast, Brunch, Second Breakfast, Lunch, Third Breakfast, Dinner, and a Midnight Snack.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pyroi posted:

I'm not counting the deaths via drowning in that count, only what Bulblax ate for Breakfast, Brunch, Second Breakfast, Lunch, Third Breakfast, Dinner, and a Midnight Snack.

No Linner?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Or Supper?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The new Taco Bell Pikmin Fourthmeal.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Only having one meal between Lunch and Dinner just feels... Wrong.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Son Ryo posted:

Or Supper?

Elevenses? Afternoon Tea?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh no, for those meals Fae was getting a restock on the Pikmin burgs, so Bulblax had to eat something else.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pyroi posted:

Oh no, for those meals Fae was getting a restock on the Pikmin burgs, so Bulblax had to eat something else.

So that's why he keeps burying himself. He eats the sand under his feet.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys we haven't had one in a while so lets have a :siren:bonus update!:siren:

Bonus 04 - Lets Talk About Splatoon

Also in case anyone is still avoiding spoilers for it, gnome and I talk a little bit about Undertale. We don't outright spoil anything plot-wise but we do mention some of the mechanics so if you want to go in completely blind, not even knowing how the battle system works, then be warned!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 30 - Science Facts With Gnome

and with that we are done with Pikmin! I'll be taking a week break because I'm going on holiday with Fizzicist but the next video will be the first episode of Pikmin 2, posted on the 27th of October!

See you then, friends!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh. The monster roll is in alphabetical order, except the snitchbug for some reason.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Tenebrais posted:

Huh. The monster roll is in alphabetical order, except the snitchbug for some reason.

loving snitchbugs ruin everything.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
A few enemies had different names during development, which might explain the discrepancy.

Also, amusingly enough, collecting the piggy-bank DOES change the ship just a little; some of the parts are jutting out a bit (particularly the canopy and door), and lock in more tightly once you collect the last part. That said, the animation still doesn't actually show this happening (it occurs right after), so it's easy to miss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You did it! Good job!! :toot:

edit: 82% casualty rate. Well done. :allears:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 17, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I can only assume that the Pikmin themselves are just mindless drones and the Onions are the real animal. That's the only way I can see Olimar managing to teach them anything considering how many die.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
PIKMIN 1 FINAL DEATH COUNT: 1124.

Please claim the lost.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Congratulations on the 100% playthrough! :toot: Those some 900 pikmans didn't give their lives in vain.

I love how Olimar just shrugs off the casualties and happily takes off towards home.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

You did it! Well done - that's much more than my 13-year-old self managed back in the day. Really looking forward to seeing the next two games, since I only ever read about those ones.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Geostomp posted:

I can only assume that the Pikmin themselves are just mindless drones and the Onions are the real animal. That's the only way I can see Olimar managing to teach them anything considering how many die.

That's actually not a bad hypothesis; technically, the single unit of "bee" is the "hive." It's a little informal but I think the term is "superorganism." The fate and experiences of any singular bee are usually irrelevant overall, on a regular basis units that are sick, dying or otherwise dragging the hive down are actively destroyed, and not even the queen lives long enough to remember most of the stuff bees know in any sense we understand; but with every bug working in concert, the hive itself is a fairly intelligent beast with quite a long memory. In fact the main hiccup is how loving useless Pikmin seem to be at getting back to the Onion in a timely fashion...or at all. The main thing that makes beehives and similar eusocial superorganisms work is that each individual unit knows just enough to get to and from home; a lot of the higher-brain stuff that makes them so impressive is basically just navigational capacity and raw base instinct coming together in an elegant way that just so happens to cause relatively sophisticated thought and planning to come out the other end. All the individuals designed for a specific task can check the conditions in their area to see if the task needs doing, and if it does, they get on it, one bee at a time, and before you know it the hive has an exhaustive record of exactly where this particular batch of food came from.

I actually really like this idea and wish there was a way Nintendo could incorporate it into game mechanics without basically making a game that plays itself.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Episode 1 - Why's The Ship Talking To Us?

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 27, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Hahaha, that's some great product placement! :signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Yay, onto the better one!

There's actually some stuff you can miss in the end-of-day mail if you go through things too fast, they're broken up into groups that you loop on the last one until you pass a certain threshold. If you miss any of them by being too good, I'll try and note what you missed when we reach that point. It's entirely possible for you to miss some, considering how many days you have to do certain stretches before you hit the repeating one.

Captain Bravo posted:

Hahaha, that's some great product placement! :signings:
Yeah, the product placement kinda turned me off at first, but over the years it's grown on me. With the 'gathering trash as treasure' thing, it manages to have a charm of its own. Any disgust at product placement gets bumped out of the way with a better understanding of how horrific the world is.

As an aside, have you seen the bad ending of Pikmin 1, Fae? I think you managed to avoid seeing it entirely, and a certain enemy in Pikmin 2 can have a bigger impact if you have seen it before learning said enemy's lore.

• Locked thread