Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

President Kucinich posted:

This is basically me as well. I like firearms. I think shooting and owning them are fun. But I also understand they're not toys and should not be treated as such. If you're not competent enough to own a safe and keep your paperwork in order while also showing competency in owning and operating a firearm, you really have no business being around one.

Jared Loughner and I will be the last legally competent gun owners in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Popular Thug Drink posted:

many americans have determined that an excellent place to store a gun is between the upper and lower jaw

Please do not eat the gun sandwich. I hid it behind the mayo in the fridge for a reason.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowman Crossing posted:

Has anyone yet mentioned that the majority of gun deaths are suicides and that not having easy access to guns makes committing suicide by gun more difficult because i think this is a really important point that should be brought up

it is worth mentioning that firearms are the most effective form of suicide, and that roughly 24,000 americans chose to use firearms against themselves in 2013, nearly double the homicide rate by all causes, as they are allowed to do under the Second Amendment to the Consitution of the United States of America, thanks for bringing this up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snowman Crossing posted:

Has anyone yet mentioned that the majority of gun deaths are suicides and that not having easy access to guns makes committing suicide by gun more difficult because i think this is a really important point that should be brought up

it actually is important because it turns out that even momentary roadblocks can stop someone from committing suicide

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Literally The Worst posted:

it actually is important because it turns out that even momentary roadblocks can stop someone from committing suicide

momentary roadblocks are also unconstitutional as gently caress. get that communist bullshit out of here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

same, but for abortion

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

President Kucinich posted:

The only way to safely store a gun is to sandwich it between two larger guns.

ah the ol' Lead Double Down

-Troika- posted:

You, and many other people in this thread, are convinced that there is no possible responsible behaviour involved with guns, ergo there's no point in trying to make you happy in the first place. If you think a local gun owner is being irresponsible, file a police report.

OK, just for the purposes of a person making a decision about protecting oneself/one's family in their own home how much time and money do you think people should spend/have to spend to become a competent gun user such that you could reliably defend yourself in a manner unlikely to injure others around you that were not threatening you

I really don't know anything about this so this is interesting to me

What's the process?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Lotta people implying some fascistic bullshit about suicide being bad or something, just saying.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

OK, just for the purposes of a person making a decision about protecting oneself/one's family in their own home how much time and money do you think people should spend/have to spend to become a competent gun user such that you could reliably defend yourself

What's the process?

I played a lot of HALO in college but I was never very good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

same, but for abortion

Yeah, making it harder to do something makes it harder to do something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
h

same, but for abortion

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lemming posted:

Yeah, making it harder to do something makes it harder to do something.

no i mean literally a momentary roadblock can stop someone from committing suicide, and not just until they get home and tie a noose. a lot of times its just about getting through that moment of crisis, which is part of why you're starting to see bridges put up fences or barriers

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Entomb the suicidal with literal roadblocks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Monkey Fracas posted:

OK, just for the purposes of a person making a decision about protecting oneself/one's family in their own home how much time and money do you think people should spend/have to spend to become a competent gun user such that you could reliably defend yourself in a manner unlikely to injure others around you that were not threatening you

It depends on your definition of "competent."

If you have a fairly low bar any decent gun safety class and maybe $100/year on ammo will bring you up to the level of your average cop. Most people would say that's a bare minimum to maintain proficiency in safe handling and operation. Not near enough to be a good shot, but you don't have to be Quigley to hit a target that's in the room with you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IMO if you need a special class to tell you that if you point a loaded gun at someone and pull the trigger, they might die, you shouldn't own a gun

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

IMO if you need a special class to tell you that if you point a loaded gun at someone and pull the trigger, they might die, you shouldn't own a gun

More communist restrictions on the right to defend against yourself.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

Lotta people implying some fascistic bullshit about suicide being bad or something, just saying.

suicide is some politically correct garbage. the better term is "self defense in the home against an individual threatening your life with a gun"

i think it's despicable to question anyone's use of castle doctrine when the facts are often so cleanly laid out. and would you argue with notable americans like ernest hemingway or kurt cobain? self defense against the self is also the number one method for ending mass shootings, so we shouldn't be in any haste to condemn or restrict the practice

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 13, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

now, how to weed those people out

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It depends on your definition of "competent." If you have a fairly low bar any decent gun safety class and maybe $100/year on ammo will bring you up to the level of your average cop.

hmmmmm

But joking aside are classes like 50 bucks? Free? Should you be doing it every year or 6 months to maintain competency? How do you tell which classes are run by dumb hacks teaching poo poo that will get you killed? How much range time do you need to put in aside from classes?

For reference my level of gun knowledge is "sometimes shoots at crap in the middle of nowhere with friends that own guns and a lot of land in the middle of nowhere but does not own/maintain any guns"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monkey Fracas posted:

But joking aside are classes like 50 bucks? Free? Should you be doing it every year or 6 months to maintain competency? How do you tell which classes are run by dumb hacks teaching poo poo that will get you killed? How much range time do you need to put in aside from classes?

sounds like it should have federally mandated standards imo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

now, how to weed those people out

make an Expendables sequel where everyone uses cool guns with U-shaped barrels, release those onto the market, wait 30 days

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

various cheeses, you claim to "hold progressive values" despite your plan to vote Republican because of gun control alone. Allow me to enumerate some (certainly not all!) of the many, many un-progressive things you will be voting for as a direct consequence of punching the ticket for the Republicans. I want you to weigh these things against your gun collection. Where do your priorities really lie?

* A party whose presidential front runner made comments about an anchorwoman's menstrual cycle on national television without the slightest shame, who appeals to the basest, cruelest nativism and Latinophobia as the foundation stone of his campaign, whose political persona is one of a brutal, pitiless, proud bully who revels in the ability to crush people.
* A party whose presidential second-place candidate somehow became a neurosurgeon while denying virtually every piece of scientific knowledge humanity has learned in the past 200 years, who has stated in public that speaking to the families of victims of a mass shooting is not worth his time.
* A party whose leading politicians can speak without fear of consequences about destroying an entire arm of the American federal government for getting in their way, an arm of the government protected by the same constitution that gun rights advocates invoke when they speak of their second amendment rights.
* A party that idolizes the ruthless Russian autocrat Vladimir Putin and wishes to elect a president that behaves like him.
* Trying to pretend that employees of local governments have the "human right" to deny queer couples their right, lawfully recognized by the country's highest court, to a marriage, thereby refusing to do the duties that come with their own jobs, and keep said jobs.
* Forcing a woman to carry a health-sapping, potentially life-threatening parasite placed inside her body by a rapist.
* Violating the first amendment rights of Muslim American activists and sympathizers by placing them on a no fly list for daring to speak out against odious "national security" policies, without justification or legal remedy.
* Violating the first amendment rights of black people and residents of heavily Democratic areas by gerrymandering and voter suppression, to prevent their votes from affecting national politics.
* Violating the fourth and fifth amendment rights of all Americans through mass surveillance and data collection.
* Violating the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth amendment rights of accused (not convicted) "terrorists" imprisoned by American soldiers on American soil in the abominable Guantanamo Bay concentration camp, and the steadfast opposition to Democratic politicians' attempts to start dismantling this concentration camp.
* The destruction of large areas of American land, the obliteration of entire ecosystems, and the poisoning of rural communities by fracking to prop up the American energy industry.
* The attempt to use the fossil fuel industry as an engine to drive American economic growth, despite the utterly ruinous consequences of making an economy dependent on fossil fuel extraction.
* Spending hundreds of billions a year on a global campaign of state terrorism against the Muslim world for having the temerity to exist and resist American imperialism, sending American youth to be maimed and killed for this evil crusade, and attempting to expand and extend this state terror campaign whenever possible.
* Refusing to allow the government to raise sufficient taxes to pay its bills, and then turning around and complaining that the government lacks fiscal responsibility.
* Being willing to sabotage the government by refusing to pass a budget, causing a shutdown of many essential services, over funding to a women's health organization, because that organization uses other funds from private sources to conduct abortions, and then concocting outrageous and libelous stories about said organization dissecting babies and parting them out like a scrapped automobile.
* The annihilation of Western civilization, and perhaps the entire human race, by global warming within the next 100 years.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Class consists of watching Dirty Harry. If at any point you get a boner, you're out.

And by out, I mean you pass.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Mandatory insurance to own a gun, but using actuarial tables that collate by race so minorities are paying 15x more to own a gun than me. :mrgw:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

$50ish is probably in the right ballpark for a basic firearms safety course. Larger gun stores will often offer free or discounted classes if you buy stuff from them, are an NRA member, etc. The information is pretty basic, so there isn't much need for refreshers. After that maybe burn through a box of ammo every couple months and you'll be getting more practice than most cops.

For the most part nobody is going to teach anything that's dangerous. An NRA instructor cert is probably worth asking for, but it's pretty hard to gently caress up the 4 rules.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

no i mean literally a momentary roadblock can stop someone from committing suicide, and not just until they get home and tie a noose. a lot of times its just about getting through that moment of crisis, which is part of why you're starting to see bridges put up fences or barriers
Prevention of the impulsive subset of suicides is an insufficiently compelling interest to compromise our rights over especially when there are more narrowly tailored and less restrictive alternatives.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I am in favor of a $250 licensing fee to get a suicide permit, that seems fair

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

guns are an absolutely essential tool if we're going to eat the rich

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Prevention of the impulsive subset of suicides is an insufficiently compelling interest to compromise our rights over especially when there are more narrowly tailored and less restrictive alternatives.

20,000 American Heroes yearly say that "suicide", or as we non-fasco-communists call it, "heroic self-defense", IS a right. Will you deny then?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

didn't you just get run out of a thread with your tail between your legs for being massively wrong about autoself defense last week

anyway, the proper answer is that we should never restrict any american's right to shoot someone who threatens them, given that most often they threaten themselves - and there's no more effective way to defend against a threat to the self when the threat is one's self than with a firearm

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Can you imagine how depressing applying for a suicide permit would be? If you make it like the DMV you could probably reduce suicide through bureaucratic tedium.

"Five forms of ID? Who has loving five forms of ID?! gently caress it! I guess I'll just live."

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

various cheeses, you claim to "hold progressive values" despite your plan to vote Republican because of gun control alone. Allow me to enumerate some (certainly not all!) of the many, many un-progressive things you will be voting for as a direct consequence of punching the ticket for the Republicans. I want you to weigh these things against your gun collection. Where do your priorities really lie?

* A party whose presidential front runner made comments about an anchorwoman's menstrual cycle on national television without the slightest shame, who appeals to the basest, cruelest nativism and Latinophobia as the foundation stone of his campaign, whose political persona is one of a brutal, pitiless, proud bully who revels in the ability to crush people.
* A party whose presidential second-place candidate somehow became a neurosurgeon while denying virtually every piece of scientific knowledge humanity has learned in the past 200 years, who has stated in public that speaking to the families of victims of a mass shooting is not worth his time.
* A party whose leading politicians can speak without fear of consequences about destroying an entire arm of the American federal government for getting in their way, an arm of the government protected by the same constitution that gun rights advocates invoke when they speak of their second amendment rights.
* A party that idolizes the ruthless Russian autocrat Vladimir Putin and wishes to elect a president that behaves like him.
* Trying to pretend that employees of local governments have the "human right" to deny queer couples their right, lawfully recognized by the country's highest court, to a marriage, thereby refusing to do the duties that come with their own jobs, and keep said jobs.
* Forcing a woman to carry a health-sapping, potentially life-threatening parasite placed inside her body by a rapist.
* Violating the first amendment rights of Muslim American activists and sympathizers by placing them on a no fly list for daring to speak out against odious "national security" policies, without justification or legal remedy.
* Violating the first amendment rights of black people and residents of heavily Democratic areas by gerrymandering and voter suppression, to prevent their votes from affecting national politics.
* Violating the fourth and fifth amendment rights of all Americans through mass surveillance and data collection.
* Violating the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth amendment rights of accused (not convicted) "terrorists" imprisoned by American soldiers on American soil in the abominable Guantanamo Bay concentration camp, and the steadfast opposition to Democratic politicians' attempts to start dismantling this concentration camp.
* The destruction of large areas of American land, the obliteration of entire ecosystems, and the poisoning of rural communities by fracking to prop up the American energy industry.
* The attempt to use the fossil fuel industry as an engine to drive American economic growth, despite the utterly ruinous consequences of making an economy dependent on fossil fuel extraction.
* Spending hundreds of billions a year on a global campaign of state terrorism against the Muslim world for having the temerity to exist and resist American imperialism, sending American youth to be maimed and killed for this evil crusade, and attempting to expand and extend this state terror campaign whenever possible.
* Refusing to allow the government to raise sufficient taxes to pay its bills, and then turning around and complaining that the government lacks fiscal responsibility.
* Being willing to sabotage the government by refusing to pass a budget, causing a shutdown of many essential services, over funding to a women's health organization, because that organization uses other funds from private sources to conduct abortions, and then concocting outrageous and libelous stories about said organization dissecting babies and parting them out like a scrapped automobile.
* The annihilation of Western civilization, and perhaps the entire human race, by global warming within the next 100 years.

These are the consequences of being pro gun control, when it all comes down to it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a fee is unconstitutional imo, suicide permits should be free. subsidized, even

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maybe some more forms. just think if a guy wants to kill himself and we make him go through some detailed forms to prove he is mentally competent to die, that could fix everything

Popular Thug Drink posted:

a fee is unconstitutional imo, suicide permits should be free. subsidized, even

If you're not willing to pay at minimum $250 to end your existence, I have to question your motives for wanting it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Snowman Crossing posted:

These are the consequences of being pro gun control, when it all comes down to it

Please tell me how the Brady Campaign is advising Democrats to shut down the government to force a handgun ban through. :allears:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

maybe some more forms. just think if a guy wants to kill himself and we make him go through some detailed forms to prove he is mentally competent to die, that could fix everything

loving fascists, so afraid to join those twenty thousand men and women every year, another twenty thousand coming every year, that they want to restrict others from so doing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

$50ish is probably in the right ballpark for a basic firearms safety course. Larger gun stores will often offer free or discounted classes if you buy stuff from them, are an NRA member, etc. The information is pretty basic, so there isn't much need for refreshers. After that maybe burn through a box of ammo every couple months and you'll be getting more practice than most cops.

For the most part nobody is going to teach anything that's dangerous. An NRA instructor cert is probably worth asking for, but it's pretty hard to gently caress up the 4 rules.

Sounds like you're talking about a simple range safety course- do you think that's sufficient for like a home defense situation? I would think that's quite a bit different than throwing rounds downrange in a controlled situation

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to use gun control as an excuse every time I'm a complete piece of poo poo to my friends and family.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Effectronica posted:

loving fascists, so afraid to join those twenty thousand men and women every year, another twenty thousand coming every year, that they want to restrict others from so doing.

don't get me wrong I would never question peoples' innate right to kill themselves to lure wild animals to hunt, or possibly for sport, it is those extremists who wish to kill themselves in order to no longer feel the pain of existence who IMO are perverting the intent of Jefferson and Washington and, um, that other guy, with the wig

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Please tell me how the Brady Campaign is advising Democrats to shut down the government to force a handgun ban through. :allears:

No, I mean like, because I'm voting R on the single issue of gun control the entire world will burn. Hope you're happy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If you're not willing to pay at minimum $250 to end your existence, I have to question your motives for wanting it

prior restraint is unconstitutional, friend

• Locked thread