Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it more powerful than that swole as gently caress Hutt on Nar Shadda in SW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Love that panel with Luke and the Magnaguards.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

OhFunny posted:

There's nothing more powerful in Star Wars than Lando's smooth talk!

It works every time.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Look out for this Wednesday, October 7.

Star Wars #10, Darth Vader #10, Lando #5, and Shattered Empire #2 are all scheduled to release on the same day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bah, that is too many at once! Looking forward to it, they all had good cliffhangers (Thought aftermath was kinda eh so far)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure after rent and bills, marvel is my biggest expense.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Lando 5: I thought this was a stronger finish than the Liea mini. Definitely see why Lando goes legit. They kinda played on our expectations by making the bounty hunter Lobot's old girlfriend instead of Lando's. Oh and Lando can shoot. The longest con baby. We all saw it coming, but still. Lobot :(

Darth Vader 10: Our resident Sherlock is being far to clever to live or maybe he'll live because he's so clever. I can't really tell. Besides some Aphra backstory. Issue is really just set up.

Shattered Empire 2: Nice tie in moment to Leia 2. Do these Imperial messengers show up anywhere else? It certainly sounds like Palps said, "if I die. Wreck poo poo everywhere," and things seem to be unraveling fast for the Empire. Oh and Poe has already been born and is with his granddaddy.

Star Wars 10: Chewie and C3PO had the best scenes. Luke is getting that hands on lightsaber training he needs in the worst possible way and Han and Liea are... on the way.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 7, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OhFunny posted:

Darth Vader 10: Our resident Sherlock is being far to clever to live or maybe he'll live because he's so clever. I can't really tell. Besides some Aphra backstory. Issue is really just set up.

What I like about this is how you can practically hear the gears turning in Vader's head during the safecracking scene. "Well I really have to kill him now. But not now now, everyone would know I did it"

OhFunny posted:

Shattered Empire 2: Nice tie in moment to Leia 2. Do these Imperial messengers show up anywhere else? It certainly sounds like Palps said, "if I die. Wreck poo poo everywhere," and things seem to be unraveling fast for the Empire. Oh and Poe has already been born and is with his granddaddy.

Not gonna lie, a straight up Nero-Decree from Palpatine appeals to both my history nerd self and my scifi nerd self :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the explanation of Naboo being untouched because Palpatine savored them being afraid he'd come and squash them like a ant-hill. But they are the first target of his revenge plot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Larocca is really doing a good job getting expression out of Vader through shading and body language. When he is debriefing Aphra and she says "Yeah sounds like she was something special" the "cut" to the shadowed Vader face is really effective.

Funny that the DV/SW books are doing a better job of adding weight and depth to the Anakin/Padme relationship through flash backs and innuendo than they could do in three live action movies.

I've said this before but it's awesome how Marvel is demonstrating the quality of stories you can tell in the SW universe if you put tip top talent on them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I've said this before but it's awesome how Marvel is demonstrating the quality of stories you can tell in the SW universe if you put tip top talent on them.

Dark Horse had John Ostrander as their main Star Wars writer for close to 10 years...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dark Horse had John Ostrander as their main Star Wars writer for close to 10 years...

Yeah but they had Jan Duursema on art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah but Marvel put Salvadore Larocca on art.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm enjoying the C-3P0/Chewie buddy cop thing far more than I should. She Chewie being loyal to Luke and being able to go full Wookie is pretty fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I'm enjoying the C-3P0/Chewie buddy cop thing far more than I should. She Chewie being loyal to Luke and being able to go full Wookie is pretty fun.

It also accounts for their relationship on ESB, with Chewie carrying him around and trying to fix him in Cloud City. Of course in the movie it was probably just that Chewie was the biggest so he should carry the droid junk, but I think good spinoff stories are best when they subtly shade things in the original material.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know C-3PO is going to have this reputation as the most sarcastic and sadistic droid ever created when this is all over.

"So the wookie starts throwing people through windows and this smarmy Droid starts fake apologizing to every one of the poor bastards."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SirDan3k posted:

You know C-3PO is going to have this reputation as the most sarcastic and sadistic droid ever created when this is all over.

I dunno, Triple Zero might still be the grand champion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

She drew some pretty weird-looking faces sometimes but I thought she was fine on the whole. :shrug:

Like, her art was never a deal-breaker for me. I liked the stories they did (I never read Dawn of the Jedi because that's not a part of the Star Wars universe I'm particularly interested in seeing filled in).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of Duursema but I'm gonna blame some of that on the just really shoddy colouring Dark Horse did on a lot of these books. Looking up some B&W sketches her stuff looks very decent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bad coloring/bad print quality is like a never ending plague that ruins so many great comics.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Surprised this wasn't mentioned already... Looks like Chewie isn't the only one replace Lando, now that it is finished.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25250/nycc_2015_obi-wan_and_anakin

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
loving drat dude they are just printing money

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Surprised this wasn't mentioned already... Looks like Chewie isn't the only one replace Lando, now that it is finished.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25250/nycc_2015_obi-wan_and_anakin

Oh noooooo

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I didn't expect anymore prequel stuff beyond Kanan. I don't remember a lot of stuff between Episode I and II so it could be cool.

rear end Catchcum posted:

loving drat dude they are just printing money

You ain't kidding. Star Wars comics topped the charts again in September.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chewbacca's a five issue miniseries, so it'll be mostly over by the time this debuts. Hell, if they give it the Lando release schedule, it'll have been over for awhile.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Chewbacca's a five issue miniseries, so it'll be mostly over by the time this debuts. Hell, if they give it the Lando release schedule, it'll have been over for awhile.

Lando #1 came out one week after Princess Leia ended and Chewbecca #1 comes one week after Lando #5. I'd say two weeks after Chewbecca ends is when Obi-Wan&Anakin #1 releases. Marvel probably has minis planned through for 2016.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Shattered Empire issue 3 is out tomorrow, and issue 2 was just last week.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Everything but leia has been good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm quite keen to see how Obi-Wan and Anakin turns out because if I recall correctly they only ever had one comic set between TPM and AOTC under Dark Horse (and it was an adaptation of a Scholastic junior readers novel). I think the prequel era is very interesting, even if I'm more take-it-or-leave-it on the movies themselves.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Oh noooooo

Written by Charles Soule. I'm exited.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm quite keen to see how Obi-Wan and Anakin turns out because if I recall correctly they only ever had one comic set between TPM and AOTC under Dark Horse (and it was an adaptation of a Scholastic junior readers novel). I think the prequel era is very interesting, even if I'm more take-it-or-leave-it on the movies themselves.

Clone Wars (the TV series) covers it very well, especially the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And a much better interpretation of the Mandelorians than what the EU novels gave us.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, absolutely, I like the Clone Wars cartoon - the "between TPM and AOTC" bit was the important part.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
lol loving owned.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My own fault for not being clearer. Sorry about that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shattered Empire continues to be fine, I don't know that it would be compelling for a non SW fan but to see the immediate aftermath of ROTJ is interesting to me. Also the next issue is coming out next week, how many issues is it supposed to be in total?

Chewbacca was awesome. It's hard to say if the plot will be good since it's got a pretty standard premise and layout, but Chewie's interactions with the other main character are great. Also Noto drawing SW, you gotta be kidding me. Though all his Quarren faces do look the same...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The next issue of Shattered Empire is the last one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The next issue of Shattered Empire is the last one.

It's kind of weird that there was a normal gap between the first couple, and then the final three in consecutive weeks. Or am I misremembering?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, that's how it was, and it's weird, but whatever. They probably realized they want to get a trade out before the movie and give it time to sell so rushed it out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I liked Chewie. He didn't want to get involved, but he is just a big softy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I liked Chewie. He didn't want to get involved, but he is just a big softy. :3:

Noto draws his fur almost too luxuriously.

Endless Mike posted:

Nah, that's how it was, and it's weird, but whatever. They probably realized they want to get a trade out before the movie and give it time to sell so rushed it out.

That makes sense.