Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like this idea, just for the mental image of the dice rolling over the battlefield and knocking everything over.

Unleash the dice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
In a much less dumb kickstarter...Scythe is now live.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ChiTownEddie posted:

And 200% funded in 6 minutes. $99 for everything bar the artbook is attracting a lot of people.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like this idea, just for the mental image of the dice rolling over the battlefield and knocking everything over.

This is why I suggested that the tech would be better for a not-American-pointyball sports-type game. If the pieces kind of move on their own and knock into each other, it could simulate a sport. Especially of some of them can be made to move "more" or "differently" from each other.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

homullus posted:

This is why I suggested that the tech would be better for a not-American-pointyball sports-type game. If the pieces kind of move on their own and knock into each other, it could simulate a sport. Especially of some of them can be made to move "more" or "differently" from each other.

So... uh... are you literally just talking Electric football?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Pash posted:

Was qualified as not-American-pointyball so maybe like Electric Frisbee Golf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I promised a few photos of the Scythe prototype from Spiel if I could. I was only able to get a couple, but they show off the art and the bits fairly well. Normally I'd resize them, but to keep full detail I'd rather leave them at full rez. So I won't post them; instead, here's an album link so you can examine them in detail without buggering your tables.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pash posted:

Yeah. Like that, but Blood Bowl or Dreadball or some such. And more table-banging.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

Interesting. Do you know anything about the Empire building rules?

Edit: Looks really quite good.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been using their Viticulture coins in everything since they feel really good to use. It looks like the Scythe ones are around the same size and have more denominations, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade. The fact they look cooler helps too! I'm trying to figure out if those realistic resource tokens are worth it, though, since I tend not to play many Euros. Hmm.

On another note, those are really weird numbers for the stretch goals. Like drat guys, round off to something.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Pash posted:

So, uh, what's a blind playtest? Pulling random guys off the street who have no idea what they're getting into?

e: "We'll reveal a new stretch goal every morning for the 24 days the project is live on Kickstarter". Is it a given at this point that cheap miniatures are guaranteed to get millions of dollars from backers?

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 13, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

So, uh, what's a blind playtest? Pulling random guys off the street who have no idea what they're getting into?
It's when a game is playtested without one of the designers there to explain everything.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been using their Viticulture coins in everything since they feel really good to use. It looks like the Scythe ones are around the same size and have more denominations, so I'm looking forward to the upgrade. The fact they look cooler helps too! I'm trying to figure out if those realistic resource tokens are worth it, though, since I tend not to play many Euros. Hmm.

On another note, those are really weird numbers for the stretch goals. Like drat guys, round off to something.

They're just being cute, those are the day one totals of their other Kickstarters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

e: "We'll reveal a new stretch goal every morning for the 24 days the project is live on Kickstarter". Is it a given at this point that cheap miniatures are guaranteed to get millions of dollars from backers?

Maybe, but that's not how Stonemeier Games roll. Jamey Stegmeier literally wrote the book on how to run a KS project successfully without loving over non-backers, overstretching yourself or adding bling for its own sake.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ChiTownEddie posted:

gently caress yeah day 1 back $128 and an art book to my door yeeeaaaaah.

teleolurian
Jan 6, 2015

I ordered Viticulture/Tuscany without doing my homework and also ordered the Viticulture "upgrade" stuff. Jamey emailed me and offered to take the upgrade kit off, since the version I ordered already had that stuff in it. It was a small gesture but super cool and I am into Scythe for $119.

Also Between Two Cities is excellent, play it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

teleolurian posted:

Also Between Two Cities is excellent, play it

Can you talk about this more? The gameplay description on the Kickstarter made it seem like a functional, but kinda dull game. Although I kinda feel that way about most of the Stonemaier games, so who knows? I really should get around to playing Viticulture/Tuscany...

Speaking of, are any of the Tuscany expansions good for first plays with experienced gamers?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can you talk about this more? The gameplay description on the Kickstarter made it seem like a functional, but kinda dull game. Although I kinda feel that way about most of the Stonemaier games, so who knows? I really should get around to playing Viticulture/Tuscany...

Speaking of, are any of the Tuscany expansions good for first plays with experienced gamers?

I'd very highly recommend using the advanced visitors since they are more "rebalanced" or "fixed" than "advanced". I do like momas and papas too. For experienced gamers they may appreciate a bit of starting point asymmetry.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
New Info for the Delta Green Kickstarter - International shipping estimates have been posted: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1380397

Keep in mind these are in addition to the $10 everyone is being charged for shipping. Just add the listed surcharge to your pledge.

We're also less than $10k from getting a King in Yellow/Carcosa Delta Green campaign called Impossible Landscapes written by Delta Green co-creator Dennis Detwiller ("Night Floors," "Music from a Darkened Room," Future/Perfect, "Project RAINBOW") with Daniel Harms, Robin D. Laws, and John Scott Tynes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game/posts/1381400

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Kickstarter for the new edition of Kill Doctor Lucky is up. I still have my copy of the original, bought at Origins back when it was first released, board spray-glued to foamcore and all. We've had a lot of fun with it over the years, so I'm looking forward to the new edition, and the rule changes (no riding the Lucky train, no stopping in the hallways, a rebalanced deck -- and most importantly, no goddamned Spite) sound really good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man, that looks great, but I don't know if I can do $50 for a copy right now.

To many cool projects going on right now. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Reading through the FAQ on Scythe's stretch goals, I kinda don't understand what it means.

quote:

Our mission is to create a Kickstarter campaign that is fun and engaging to current and potential backers throughout the entire project. Usually our stretch goals are carefully calibrated based on the incremental per-unit savings based on larger print runs, but those calculations went out the window for Scythe because of how much the game costs to make (even if we make tens of thousands of copies). So we thought we'd let backers have fun with the stretch goals instead by releasing one new stretch goal each day for every day of the campaign. We've already created, playtested, and budgeted for these stretch goals, and the funding amounts for each of them will be determined each morning when they are announced. That way your pledge has an impact on one specific stretch goal and every subsequent goal.

So does that mean the next stretch goals will always be ahead of the total for the day? If so, that seems dumb?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Reading through the FAQ on Scythe's stretch goals, I kinda don't understand what it means.

So does that mean the next stretch goals will always be ahead of the total for the day? If so, that seems dumb?

I think what it means is that they're going to calculate their own cost for producing the stretch goal, based on how many copies of the game have been pledged for. Rather than what most KSers do, which is basically just guess.

But yeah it almost definitely means that tomorrow's stretch goal will be a number that tomorrow morning's total isn't quite at yet, rather than a number that was passed ages ago. Since the KS is already north of $400k, I have a feeling if they'd printed all their stretch goals up front, we'd already have achieved most of them and that makes for a long boring stretch (ahem) of two or three weeks where there's nothing interesting coming up and nobody bothers to change their pledges.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, that looks great, but I don't know if I can do $50 for a copy right now.

To many cool projects going on right now. :(

Do they do that thing where you can pledge a buck and then give them more money after the kickstarter is over?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Out of curiosity, what is everyone currently funding? Because I'm in for $140 for Delta Green so I can get one for me and one for a friend, and I'm playing with backing Infinity and/or Rippers, but I like to buy physical, so I don't know if I'll do either, or cave and buy PDFs.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some part of me really likes those dancing dice.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm backing Scythe and World's Fair 1893. Was backing Innovation Deluxe too but can't afford backing that many non-tiny projects.

I'm also backing some School Sim RPG videogame thingy but it's 8 bucks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I saw this Space Hulk looking game by people who've made a bunch of games I've never heard of when it first launched, and in the campaign they had a paragraph saying "This game doesn't use miniatures. Miniatures are way more expensive and it's a ton of extra work and it's just a huge extra complication and we aren't going to do miniatures, not even as a stretch goal, no matter what"

Two weeks in, they're at less than a fifth of their goal, and they decided they're gonna do miniatures.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Right now my only active projects are Wrath of the Autarch, Masks, Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, and the DW Cards (which I think I'm going to drop now that I'm seeing the art they're gonna use).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Stegmaier posted a link to "playtester comments" at BGG and I clicked it in hopes of actual serious discussion and criticism. Nope, it's just marketing quotes.

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/media/

I'm fairly certain that these were all cherry picked to be absolutely worthless "it's just fun" type of marketing poo poo, but it doesn't really give me any hope in the playtesting process if this is what he puts as the type of playtesters/sychophants he had.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Playtester comments: "It's really good! It's a really fun, good game. It's both good, and fun! It does a good job of being fun and a fun job of being good! What a game that is both good and fun!"

https://screen.yahoo.com/amazing-alexander-000000031.html

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Just Masks right now; I've got reminders for a few projects to see what finances are like when they're closer to their end goal.

I am tempted by Ninja Crusade 2E but I will probably just buy it outside the kickstarter later after I see reviews, given issues my group had with 1E.

(The one I actually remember: Someone wanted to play the dog-taming/shapeshifter clan, invested in the shapeshifting ninja powerset heavily...and then got a look at the actual rules for shapeshifting. "Just substitute the animal's physical stats for yours!" Which is great, but then you go to the bestiary and it turns out "We've cut out individual stats and just given you the derived values you'd need to know to fight them" so you can't actually turn into a ninja weredog without heavy guesswork.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

I am tempted by Ninja Crusade 2E but I will probably just buy it outside the kickstarter later after I see reviews, given issues my group had with 1E.

Eloy's answering rules questions over on RPGNet if you want to ask him.

In other news, it's been a good day for Magpie Games. Urban Shadows just got their books in and it looks like those'll be going out soon, and they released one of the updated LE playbooks. Masks is 1k away from becoming CC licensed so those of us who're making playbooks can put them up on DriveThru. :v:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

Stegmaier posted a link to "playtester comments" at BGG and I clicked it in hopes of actual serious discussion and criticism. Nope, it's just marketing quotes.

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/media/

I'm fairly certain that these were all cherry picked to be absolutely worthless "it's just fun" type of marketing poo poo, but it doesn't really give me any hope in the playtesting process if this is what he puts as the type of playtesters/sychophants he had.

I'm not sure why he'd put some playtester telling him that Faction Power X needed a resource cost of Z instead of Y in order to be balanced on his reviews/media page where he's posting, say, reviews and media feedback.

He has a pretty large cross-section of professional reviewers that he links to (most of whom have positive things to say) as well as some amateur positive reviews from his playtesters. Using the term sycophant seems pretty aggro, but whatever.

If you want the serious discussion, I'd suggest reading the complete rulebook and print-and-play components that he posts a link to on the KS page and then staying around BGG to have the discussion there. Why would you expect a marketing site to be anything but marketing?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I got my fancy Ryuutama hardback in today! So very fancy.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Lovecraftesque is in its final countdown. It's a GMless cosmic horror game that is meant to make mythos horror stories without being so darn racist: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1122788890/lovecraftesque

I haven't made my mind up about it yet. Has anyone read their rules preview and have some thoughts to share?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am irrationally angry that there is a faction titled "Rusviet Union"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hauki posted:

I am irrationally angry that there is a faction titled "Rusviet Union"

Yeah I guess "Soviet" derives from russian "sovet" meaning union or council. Whereas the Rus were the viking-descended ancestors of modern ukranians from which Russia derives its name. I assume mashing them together makes no sense in Russian.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

He has a pretty large cross-section of professional reviewers that he links to (most of whom have positive things to say) as well as some amateur positive reviews from his playtesters. Using the term sycophant seems pretty aggro, but whatever.

If you want the serious discussion, I'd suggest reading the complete rulebook and print-and-play components that he posts a link to on the KS page and then staying around BGG to have the discussion there. Why would you expect a marketing site to be anything but marketing?

Because it's in a section of the site that isn't your typical shill reviewers, they're the playtesters of the game. I, as a potential consumer of said product (not that it's gonna matter much given the rate of Kickstarting) to have the playtester section, even if it contains the expected effusive praise, to say something more than "Steampunk rules!" or "I love this game!" As is, the lack of any sort of critical thought from the representative playtester quotes does not give me much hope that this was playtested to the razor sheen that one expects from "2000 playtest sessions." I would rather have 1-2 choice quotes from people who actually have an explanation for their opinions, even if it's cherry picked to be nothing but good things, vs. 200 people saying the equivalent of "A+++ would play again." The latter seems absolutely sycophantic.

I'm even a bit put off that none of the "average scores" across all the playtesting sessions dipped below 8. Maybe it was a great design out of the gate, and I'm not gonna discount that possibility, but to me, that really strikes me as a bit of a red flag. A part of me wonders whether it's just people being enamored with the admittedly kickass art or just basing this on their previous experiences with their games or what.

Also, engaging with the BGG community is an absolute trap. Critical discussion is practically a four letter word there.

On a more positive note, I also got my Ryuutama HC. It owns, and although I kinda wish the "leatherbound" cover was as colorful as the normal one, I kinda dig it for its simplicity. Now to read what's actually inside!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I guess "Soviet" derives from russian "sovet" meaning union or council. Whereas the Rus were the viking-descended ancestors of modern ukranians from which Russia derives its name. I assume mashing them together makes no sense in Russian.

Maybe the Vietnamese got into Russia, you don't know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Viticulture and Euphoria are enough to convince me Stonemaier's got design chops (and Scythe is an internal design, which IIRC Between Two Cities wasn't), but if you'd rather wait, it's not like there are any exclusives involved.

• Locked thread