Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm pretty sure max-rank Shadow Dragon is the most powerful legendary in the game. I immediately go for purple/yellow orbs, poison the whole enemy team + 6 true damage. Over the next ~6 turns, clear enough red gems for the lizard troop that does 5 damage +6 if the enemy is poisoned, and that's without mentioning the Druid and Hero backing them up. The constant ticking of the poison softens up anything to the point where another shadow dragon ability is often enough to outright kill poo poo.

Nothing survives.

The shadow dragon was my first legendary and it's the one I use. I use Karakoth(sp?) as my home country so I get +2 purple orbs on every purple match, so it fills up with 3 purple matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've been using Jarl Firemantle, he's pretty great. Deals 7 damage and generates 9 red and 9 yellow gems, which almost always cascades into at least a bunch of mana, and often another turn.. Most of the time I run:

Hero w/ whatever the torch is that costs yellow and generates red mana
Rock Worm (generates brown for himself and for Jarl)
Druid (rules)
Jarl Firemantle (generates red for himself and yellow to feed back into my hero)

Home kingdom is Khaziel for the +2 brown bonus. The Druid is just there for when I can't match brown/red, most of my damage comes from Jarl and Rock Worm. Once I get a few brown/red matches in, the units start feeding each other and I can steamroll most teams. Only problem is that it doesn't use purple mana, but I can't find a suitable replacement for any of the units. I tried Keeper of Souls but he still feels too slow to me.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't have one but Gorgotha seems pretty crazy to me. Every time I play against one, if it's level 15 and I let it live long enough to activate its ability then it can (if the computer doesn't gently caress up) just loving keep doing it over and over.

My only legendaries are Jarl, Goblin King, and Silent One. :(

At least Jarl seems kind of cool if I ever get around to leveling him.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Gorgotha is pretty crazy. I think the most broken legendary I have seen is Webspinner. I do not have one, but I have seen AI ones get 10 turns in a row from all the greens they generate. They are like Rock Worms on crack. Screw people that run Webspinner and Green Seer as their defense team.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I've got a pair of questions. First, is there any reason to choose one of the 500-gem armors over the other? I'm leaning towards +souls.

Also, I'm sitting on 700+ glory. Thinking about buying 20 treasure maps because what that seems like a better investment than the souls. Any reason not to do this?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Grundulum posted:

I've got a pair of questions. First, is there any reason to choose one of the 500-gem armors over the other? I'm leaning towards +souls.

Also, I'm sitting on 700+ glory. Thinking about buying 20 treasure maps because what that seems like a better investment than the souls. Any reason not to do this?

Glory is best used on the weekly stuff, like the bear totem which is 200 even though stuff is normally 50 or 80. As long as you're in one of the goon guilds, you should have plenty of maps rolling in, and you can get more by using the alchemist/valkyrie/banshee combo anyway.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah I used to think it was fine to blow excess glory on treasure maps, but if they are going to keep selling weapons at 200 glory I'd save it.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I have 78 maps. Don't buy maps.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Since the second question was answered well, i'll take the first one.

It's all preference, but keep in mind that we just had an event for double souls weekend which stacked with the armor bonus. That meant instead of a normal 400 souls from a successful arena run, you got 1600 souls for a successful run+armor bonus. That event made me wish I got the soul armor.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, that was a first. I used the Valkyrie's power, and got a notification at exactly the same time. The game skipped a frame, and then ended my turn -- before removing gems. So the AI got credit for a board's worth of blue gems and then took four consecutive turns.

:wtc:

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Just picked this up and having a decent time, blew gold on normal keys and PVP before knowing what i was doing, which it seems, was probably the worst use of my resources...

Any room right now in the guild? my code is: MJOLNERD

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mjolnerd posted:

Just picked this up and having a decent time, blew gold on normal keys and PVP before knowing what i was doing, which it seems, was probably the worst use of my resources...

Any room right now in the guild? my code is: MJOLNERD

Invite sent to Gem Blossoms.

And yeah, never spend gold on keys, just donating it to the guild will give you much better returns. PvP though is probably the best source of gold, especially once you get some kind of armor with a gold bonus.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Daveski posted:

Invite sent to Gem Blossoms.

And yeah, never spend gold on keys, just donating it to the guild will give you much better returns. PvP though is probably the best source of gold, especially once you get some kind of armor with a gold bonus.

I'm in, thanks!

Down to about 400gold at the moment and since my main source of gold income right now is not playing, I'll donate as soon as i can.

What's a good cushion to sit on? 1k so I can do arena?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't start donating right away. Keep a 1k cushion to do the Arena since that is the best bang for the buck for a new player. The tier list in the second post will help pick a good arena team so you always make a profit even if you somehow do not win 8 games. Use your gold to unlock new kingdoms so you will earn more gold when you are not playing. Look at the quest legendary list in the second post and consider completing two or three of those questlines for the cards once you have a decent set of troops from Arena keys. I would recommend Whitehelm and Divinion Fields at a minimum. Use souls from Arena wins to level those cards to 15 and start PvP invasions to really start earning gold and giving back to the guild.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What's everyone liking for PvP? I've been using Orion, the Skull Cleaver, Druid, and Jarl Firemantle - but this round I got beat twice on my march to '1'. I like this because I've got all the colors covered. I've got plenty of souls lying around to level up who ever. Both times I got rolled by worms. Those damned worms.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mjolnerd posted:

Down to about 400gold at the moment and since my main source of gold income right now is not playing, I'll donate as soon as i can.

What's a good cushion to sit on? 1k so I can do arena?

Yeah I usually keep about ~2k or so around, and donate the rest. It's worth unlocking all the kingdoms though, so don't hesitate to spend money doing that too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

porktree posted:

What's everyone liking for PvP? I've been using Orion, the Skull Cleaver, Druid, and Jarl Firemantle - but this round I got beat twice on my march to '1'. I like this because I've got all the colors covered. I've got plenty of souls lying around to level up who ever. Both times I got rolled by worms. Those damned worms.

I've just been running with Goblin, Boar Rider, Goblin King, and Goblin Shaman (or whatever it's called). It gets the job done. If the opponent does manage to chew through my first two units before they die then Goblin King is pretty much unkillable and will win it for me, even if it does take a while.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

porktree posted:

I used hero with yellow weapon, Luther, Dark Song, and Avina for a while for color variety, high single hit spells, and people that can take a beating. Also, I happen to have them from the initial quest run and key pulls. Luther is really good for taking a beating and turning your entire team into one-shot monsters, and enough people use a person that uses green, so Dark Song is useful enough for me. I switched out Avina for Atlanta now that I have souls and stick her in third so she doesn't get hit by "last person" spells because she's a bit fragile.

Still, as previously mentioned, just find a set that works okish and get them to level 15 and you'll do fine.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Rocking an all Whitehelm party here and I'm really enjoying it, only Lady Sapphira isn't 15 but I'm working on her next with a +5 Whitehelm kingdom at the moment.

Moloch
Lady Sapphira
Paladin
Templar

I don't have purple coverage, but man 2 True Damage and the ability to get my Paladin to 20+ armor quickly to one-shot opponents is insane.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

duckfarts posted:

I used hero with yellow weapon, Luther, Dark Song, and Avina for a while for color variety, high single hit spells, and people that can take a beating. Also, I happen to have them from the initial quest run and key pulls. Luther is really good for taking a beating and turning your entire team into one-shot monsters, and enough people use a person that uses green, so Dark Song is useful enough for me. I switched out Avina for Atlanta now that I have souls and stick her in third so she doesn't get hit by "last person" spells because she's a bit fragile.

Still, as previously mentioned, just find a set that works okish and get them to level 15 and you'll do fine.

Ya, 15 on all my fighters. I like Orion (green/yellow) in the first spot for the 10 skull damage - the hero 2nd with the purple skull cleaver, the Druid get's green overflow from Orion and is good 3rd because of the weak health and attack. Jarl is the only one that is capable of generating gems for stacked turns which is where I feel like the team is weak. Once the rock worm set-ups get rolling they don't seem to end.

I'd kill for Gorgatha.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
They just released a new kingdom, Wild Plains, along with some new units.

Also, double gold and EXP gains for this weekend.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

They just released a new kingdom, Wild Plains, along with some new units.

Gnolls look mean for anti-Brown use. at 15, deal 7 damage to random, triple if they use brown.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

DaveWoo posted:

That sounds good, let's do an invade

:eyepop:

edit:

10k gold for two battles, holy cow.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2015

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Time to invade fools. :getin:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Start funneling that cash into tasks, I'm still 350 gems away from the top armor :/

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I moved some people around in Gem Blossums for no particular reason. Noticed that tinychalupa and Shroud haven't logged in for ages. If either of you is still playing let me know; otherwise I'll kick you on the off chance a new player shows up and wants in.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
We should probably combine guilds again. Gem boys has 8 open spots, and about 9 more inactives. So ~17 spots available?

Thoughts?

E: Kicked some loving slackers. 17 spots open. Lets merge!

IDC which guild we merge in to. I assume Gem boys is higher ranked since its the oldest. If that matters at all. I just want more active players since my gem income has slowed. :smith:

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Pretty sure Blossums is higher-ranked. Also pretty sure we don't have 9 spots available; we are at 30/30 right now, and everyone but the two people I called out has logged in during the last few days. At work right now and can't check further, though.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
30 - 17 = 13

What about the other guilds? Did they all fold? I'll just open it up to pubbies then.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I killed Acme Gooniversity weeks ago.

I have no problem with another merger if we can make it work.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This new Soothsayer unit is pretty awesome, y'all

He combos great with mass damage cards like, say, Staff of Madness

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Hero - Sun & Moon
Ragnagord
Soothsayer
Druid

Ive been using that team since the patch, and its ridiculously overpowered. If you are lucky enough to have pulled the new hydra legendary, replace the druid with it for even more overpowered shenanigans.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I killed Acme Gooniversity weeks ago.

I have no problem with another merger if we can make it work.

A merger would probably be good. A lot of people are inactive in the gem boiz as well. including me honestly. I'll probably give the guild leader position to someone else.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Another stupid team:

Brian the Lucky
Sunweaver
Anything
Anything

When playing on a level 10 kingdom, if Brian gives magic to Sunweaver, the Sunweaver can give himself 13 mana, attack, and armor every turn. This fills up Sunweavers mana, so it can be used turn after turn to boost him to stupid, unkillable levels.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Obscil posted:

A merger would probably be good. A lot of people are inactive in the gem boiz as well. including me honestly. I'll probably give the guild leader position to someone else.
Gem Blossums is still pretty active and almost full. Unless there's another half-full goon guild floating around, sounds like the best bet is opening up Gem Boiz to pubbies.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I thought we still had three active guilds. OG Gem Boys is down to 13 active members. We are level 43 (not league ranking) if that matter.

I know Gem Blossoms is full of active players. Is Gem Boiz still around?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The RNG sucks. Bought 15 magic keys with my gems, and got four Flesh Golems to go with the one I already had.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'm on the verge of getting 500 gems, is there a consensus on whether the +100% souls or +100% gold armor is more useful? It's largely academic, since I'm sitting on 5k souls, 50+ keys, and regularly dumping 2-5k into guild missions, I may just get whichever looks cooler.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I'm on the verge of getting 500 gems, is there a consensus on whether the +100% souls or +100% gold armor is more useful? It's largely academic, since I'm sitting on 5k souls, 50+ keys, and regularly dumping 2-5k into guild missions, I may just get whichever looks cooler.

I wish I had the souls armor for double souls weekend.
I'm glad I had the gold armor for double gold weekend.

You really can't go wrong either way. Choose your flavor. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

grrarg posted:

Gem Blossums is still pretty active and almost full. Unless there's another half-full goon guild floating around, sounds like the best bet is opening up Gem Boiz to pubbies.

You are confused. There is "Gem boys" AND "Gem Boiz"

I am the GM of "Gem boys" and have 17 open spots. I would like to absorb "Gem Boiz". Or any other goons who don't want to live under the oppressive regime of Gem Blossoms.

"Gem boys" is the oldest goon guild, thus most likely the highest ranked (not that it matters).