Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Had a quick look through the OP but didn't see it listed. Have any of you guys used the Wheel Stand Pro? Looking at getting one for my Logitech G27.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

I have one at home with a G27 and I'd recommend it. I don't bother folding it down when I'm not using it, just move the unit to the side as it's still significantly easier than attaching/detaching from the table when I want to use it.

Mootallica fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Had a quick look through the OP but didn't see it listed. Have any of you guys used the Wheel Stand Pro? Looking at getting one for my Logitech G27.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro-for-logitech-g25g27-racing-wheel---deluxe

there really should be a note about the wheel stand pro under "other hardware" in the OP, as it's been recommended multiple times in this thread. they're very solid, and definitely good !/$

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thank you very much. I'll order one :)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Halo14 posted:

Yeah, the whole cockpit/wheelstand part of the OP needs some work, but it's a bit of a task.

Anyway, I remember InsideSim did a review of the Wheel Stand Pro (from when I was looking for a setup myself) and they liked it but as is typical for wheelstands there's a bit of movement and flex.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 13, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is also various building materials and pre-built kits. Like boxed steel tubing and such, either in precut lengths or if you're not mechanically challenged (comon, get out your tools) build something from plans (so you're not making all the noobie mistakes) that is custom built to your requirements and the room you have available.

For me, it's really the next step, a permanent setup. But I'm waiting for the Rift or whatever competitor. TrackIR, triples.. it's all going to be unacceptable old crap when VR really goes commercial. iRacing, Elite Dangerous, etc.. the code is ready to go and the interest in the hardware means it's certainly coming along. Anyone know how long we are talking until I can buy a really high-res, finished VR headset to jack into my gaming computer?

Cockpit design would be quite different, just somewhere to bolt the wheel and then that's about it up front. I don't see the point in building/buying an 'old style' cockpit if we are the cusp of the revolution.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Last I heard Vive and Oculus are both shooting for Q1 2016, with the Vive maybe being available in some limited fashion before that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Halo14 posted:

Thank you very much. I'll order one :)

I'd also recomend the Playseat Challange. Unless you are like 7 foot tall and or 300lbs.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GhostDog posted:

Last I heard Vive and Oculus are both shooting for Q1 2016, with the Vive maybe being available in some limited fashion before that.

Wow, awesome. I guess I should go and do some reading..

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I bought Assetto Corsa, and I'm not entirely sure if it's actually worth playing without a wheel.

I've been looking for a reasonably realistic driving game for the PC for a long time, but the best thing I have steering-wise is my Xbox One controller, and it's not enjoyable at all. Admittedly I've turned of everything assist-related apart from clutch, and I haven't played more than an hour or so because I want to make sure I get a refund if it comes to that, but it's enough to make me skeptical.

Can I turn this into something enjoyable, or should I just get a refund? If I'm getting a wheel in the first place, I'm want to get something good with a clutch-pedal. When I got my HOTAS, I went big and got the Warthog, and I don't regret it for a second because it's so worth it. Getting an expensive wheel right now, however, would be fully possible but quite irresponsible. At some point in the future I'm getting a wheel because I love driving games (and I love driving more than racing), but not this day.

I guess pretty much all of you run wheels, but if you have any experience with controllers, please share. Or maybe there's another game that's more suited to a controller, I dunno.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get a Logitech driving force gt. You can usually find them on Craigslist for under a hundred and it will make driving games more enjoyable, you'll feel thr car start to break traction, you'll be able to feather the gas or brakes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You'll probably wanna turn up the stability control a fair bit. I had a lot of fun playing AC on an xbox 360 controller with the stability set to 50%, but I probably won't get back into it until I get a wheel since Dirt Rally plays with a controller much better.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Black Griffon posted:

I bought Assetto Corsa, and I'm not entirely sure if it's actually worth playing without a wheel.

I've been looking for a reasonably realistic driving game for the PC for a long time, but the best thing I have steering-wise is my Xbox One controller, and it's not enjoyable at all. Admittedly I've turned of everything assist-related apart from clutch, and I haven't played more than an hour or so because I want to make sure I get a refund if it comes to that, but it's enough to make me skeptical.

Can I turn this into something enjoyable, or should I just get a refund? If I'm getting a wheel in the first place, I'm want to get something good with a clutch-pedal. When I got my HOTAS, I went big and got the Warthog, and I don't regret it for a second because it's so worth it. Getting an expensive wheel right now, however, would be fully possible but quite irresponsible. At some point in the future I'm getting a wheel because I love driving games (and I love driving more than racing), but not this day.

I guess pretty much all of you run wheels, but if you have any experience with controllers, please share. Or maybe there's another game that's more suited to a controller, I dunno.

AC can play nicely on a gamepad. I would post my settings but I've recently re-done windows 10 and have yet to install the game again. It's totally doable though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Black Griffon posted:

I would say you'd probably have more fun with Project CARS which works a lot better with a pad than AC ever does.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hello! Plz get into the irc later today so i can sperg about hardware for the umptee th time! #racinggoons on syn irc

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Will ask for hardware-advice on IRC when I don't have to be at work in four hours (it's nighttime in Norway).

And it seems like my best bet is to get comfortable with a gamepad in AC, wait for a deal on CARS and wait until I feel more irresponsible to spend way too much money on a good wheel.

tater_salad posted:

Get a Logitech driving force gt. You can usually find them on Craigslist for under a hundred and it will make driving games more enjoyable, you'll feel thr car start to break traction, you'll be able to feather the gas or brakes.

Paying 50 bucks for a used GT doesn't seem to bad, but if I can get the gamepad to work, I might just do that and wait until something better comes along. Also, my favorite webshop has a Black Friday sale in a few weeks, so that might work in my favor.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
if you can manage to snag a used g27 for super cheap i'd also recommend that.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

OhsH posted:

if you can manage to snag a used g27 for super cheap i'd also recommend that.

:agreed:

Even if you lack the coordination to actually use the clutch and shifter (like me) it's still a drat good, well made wheel.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kilonum posted:

:agreed:

Even if you lack the coordination to actually use the clutch and shifter (like me) it's still a drat good, well made wheel.

I like to use the clutch and shifter when I'm just hotlapping in old cars (Audi Quattro in AC is my current jam) but I can't race like that. I don't generally like racing street cars though, and most of the cars I do like racing don't use the clutch anyway.

I'm doing my usual jumping from game to game thing tonight because I'm bored so I loaded up RaceRoom for the first time in ages and the WTCC cars are huge fun at Mid Ohio. Granted most cars are huge fun at Mid Ohio. That thing's still pretty good once you've built up a bank of cars and tracks but dear god I wish I could have faith in them implementing some of the basic stuff they don't have like flags or the option to do race length on laps and not just 5 time presets. Any time I see the game mentioned it's always about adding new content, which seems overzealous when the actual game is still marked at v0.3. With the totally-not-GP2 car, Audi TT and both DTM, WTCC and ADAC GT 2015 coming they're starting to get into iRacing levels of licence backlog.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 14, 2015

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I was thinking of upgrading to a g27 from a dfgt however after reading a lot it seems like it isn't that much of a difference unless I want a quieter wheel. It seems like my next best upgrade would be to get some new pedals. Thinking about some clubsport v2's however not seeing that many available. Any other good alternatives?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Harminoff posted:

I was thinking of upgrading to a g27 from a dfgt however after reading a lot it seems like it isn't that much of a difference unless I want a quieter wheel. It seems like my next best upgrade would be to get some new pedals. Thinking about some clubsport v2's however not seeing that many available. Any other good alternatives?

I can assure you that the G27 is not quiet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The g27 is loud as gently caress. Wait till you hit some curbs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vvvvv vvvvvvvvvtt <-- steering
Klaklaklaklakla <---- bumps in road

KERTHUNKKLAKALAKA <curb

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Compared to the dfgt though it's a lot better. I don't really care about that anyway though, that's why I was thinking that getting some new pedals would be a better investment as the dfgt wheel is fine.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Vvvvv vvvvvvvvvtt <-- steering
Klaklaklaklakla <---- bumps in road

KERTHUNKKLAKALAKA <curb

I can't hear all that when I'm flying downhill on a muddy forest road with my co-driver informing me of an upcoming hairpin turn. drat I love Dirt Rally.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If you can hear your wheel grinding then you haven't got your speakers/headphones turned up loud enough.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Harminoff posted:

The Clubsports V3s come out in 4 weeks, you might have better luck finding used V2s after that. I'm going to get them too probably, in which case I might have some CSR Elite pedals (and a CSR wheel) to sell, though cost-wise it probably doesn't make sense to ship them out of Europe.

FFB Question: What amount of FFB smoothing are you CSW V2 owners using with rFactor2? The FFB is so nicely detailed in rF2 and I don't want to lose too much of that, but hitting some curbs and some of the bumpier tracks it feels crazy harsh sometimes and I want to get rid of the spikes a bit. I also tried to find out what the smoothing factor actually means, I assume it's smoothing over N FFB samples and since rF2's FFB runs at 400Hz you would incur a lag of N*2.5ms, does that sound right?

For the next OP update I'll add Nascar 2003, but other than "it's the only Nascar worth playing" and "iRacing is based on the engine" I have nothing to say about it, so I one of you feels it deserves two or three sentences more, feel free. I'm also adding Formula Truck, because it's the only truck sim and while that's not my cup of tea if deserves to be mentioned. Still working on that Hardware section.

And a reminder that Patrick Giranthon is a SCE modding treasure and pretty much every track he converted to SCE in the last year or so is quality. Here's Road Atlanta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUUStGeX0U4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think for NR2k3 it should be mentioned that virtually every kind of oval racing has been modded in, so there's all the Nascar stuff but also Indycar, dirt ovals, legends, sprint cars etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

I think for NR2k3 it should be mentioned that virtually every kind of oval racing has been modded in, so there's all the Nascar stuff but also Indycar, dirt ovals, legends, sprint cars etc.

Somewhat effort post:
Nascar Racing 2003 season is the last good nascar game for PC. 2016 May be better since eutechnyx is finally out of the game of making lovely games with AI that sucks, pits that are broken, driving that's broken. NR2003 is the ONLY solution for any amount of single player nascar racing on PC. I've tried mods for Race07, and rFactor, as well as demoing the other nascar games.. and they all don't cut it, the AI is awful, or the gameplay sucks, etc.

Nascar Racing 2003 still also has a pretty decent leauge play population either through offline leauges, or weekly racing series, it's still popular because of the huge amount of mods.

Possibly :filez:
If you look hard enough online (not very hard) you can find it available since it's been abandoned by the devs, some are siting the abandonware/preservation part of the DMCA since who really uses CD's for game distribution any more.

NascarRacing 2003 is the engine that iRacing is based on. Granted iRacing has put constant amounts of money and development into programming and developing it, the NR2k3 engine is still underneath. NR2k3 has had some physics updates through mods it's not the same experience as you'll get from iRacing. Also, those familiar with modern rules may find some of the aged mechanics like Racing back to the flag and no lucky dog a bit hard to get a grasp on. It took me a few races to not jump off the gas when I saw the yellow.

Good site for mods: http://www.desmodsracing.com/
Archived/ old mods: http://get-good.net/index.php?title=NR2003_Encyclopedia
More car mods: http://bigdonlinemotorsports.com/

For mods if you like an oval series google "Nascar 2003 [oval series] mod" and you'll find it in some form.

It's playable with a gamepad, but oval racing is pretty hard with a gamepad, you're modifing your line and feathering the throtle and trying to be consistent while on the edge of spinning out. A driving force GT can be had for ~ USD 75 and is a good involvement if you want to drive in circles.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
That's a bit much for the format of the OP. I can link the post though.

Is there some way to fold/unfold blocks in BBCode?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Harminoff posted:

Compared to the dfgt though it's a lot better. I don't really care about that anyway though, that's why I was thinking that getting some new pedals would be a better investment as the dfgt wheel is fine.

It really is much quieter, but that's more due to the DFGT being loud as poo poo. The racket it makes during the power-on calibration alone is terrible. For me the main reason to get the G27 over the DFGT (besides the smoother wheel, which is certainly not insignificant) is the H-shifter and third pedal though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok so my surround sound system is over 3000 watts of nitro injected war rig including 2 18" low tuned subwoofers. With a driving cockpit, would this setup be ideal or could I achieve just as much immersion with a mid quality pair of headphones and a butt-kicker style transducer ? What about with VR ?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Added Nascar and Formula Truck.

I also did the FOV section, can someone please tell me that what I've written makes sense? :)

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 14, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
About rFactor 2 & Steam:

Release is planned before the holidays.

Official Q&A posted:

If I already own rF2, can I move over to the Steam version for free?
Yes you can migrate over to the Steam version at no extra cost. Once you do this, your original non-Steam product is no longer active.

How will Steam work with Standard/Lifetime?
For those who do not buy or have Lifetime, you will need to buy online access through Steam. We will not offer Lifetime upgrades (from ‘Offline’) on Steam. We are also planning to stop doing Standard to Lifetime upgrades for the non-Steam version soon.

rF2 on Steam will offer three things:
– rF2 Offline
– 1 Year Online for rF2 (adds multiplayer to rF2 Offline)
– rF2 Lifetime (has multiplayer included)

Will my online access be carried over from non-Steam to Steam?
No, not for the standard version of rF2. We are not able to move over remaining online access, so users may want to wait until that expires before migrating. Lifetime access is carried over to Steam.

Why Steam? Why now? What Steam features are implemented in rF2?
We have done a lot of work to support Steam, including implementation of Steam Workshop for additional content.

Here is a more comprehensive list:
– automatic updates of rFactor and mods
– support for Steam Workshop as a single easy source for all ISI and third party mods
– workshop items will automatically stay up to date
– leagues can use the workshop to create a convenient installation for participants
– automatic backup of car setups in the Steam cloud
– integration with the Steam matchmaker for finding servers
– support for the Steam friends system to join a friend’s game
– screenshots can be quickly shared on Steam
– broadcast options to allow (your friends or anybody) to watch you play
– streaming support that allow you to run rFactor 2 on one system but stream the graphics to another
– Steam Music Player support to listen to your favourite songs in your car and control the stereo
– statistics and achievements that you can use to compare your performance against others

Some may consider it a better platform for rFactor 2 due to the Steam integration, but we’re not planning on any Steam exclusive features (apart from those that require Steam or are enabled by using it, as can be seen above).

Will non-Steam and Steam rF2 be cross compatible?
Our goal is that MP races are cross compatible, yes.

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

I'm excited, I hope with the higher visibility on Steam as well as workshop support rF2 will finally make good on its potential.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unlikely I think, for rF2 to make good on its potential it needs modders to start making content for it and I think that's extremely unlikely to happen while Assetto Corsa is the hot modding platform. Moving to Steam doesn't really change much beyond just having both games in the same place.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

jonathan posted:

Ok so my surround sound system is over 3000 watts of nitro injected war rig including 2 18" low tuned subwoofers. With a driving cockpit, would this setup be ideal or could I achieve just as much immersion with a mid quality pair of headphones and a butt-kicker style transducer ? What about with VR ?

Headphones and a buttkicker will serve you just fine, unless you want your neighbors to know what car you're racing (which you do). Your setup should give you better surround than headphones, but you may need to mess with your eq to get more immersive rumble vs. a 20hz drone. I use old Sony bookshelf speakers with a cheapass headset for voice chat, to be replaced with a decent headset after I upgrade my wheel and pedals. Basically, use what you have on hand unless/until your cockpit gets in the way.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

Unlikely I think, for rF2 to make good on its potential it needs modders to start making content for it and I think that's extremely unlikely to happen while Assetto Corsa is the hot modding platform. Moving to Steam doesn't really change much beyond just having both games in the same place.

I really hope you're going to be proven wrong. As I said before, for me with the right car and the right track rF2 is amazing in how connected it makes me feel to the car. But as you said it's clearly missing content. I've been playing it a lot recently and wondering if they should just concentrate on historic content, make their mark there. That things needs some kind of identity.

Edit: A full fledged GT Legends DLC. I'd pay for that.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 14, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I really hope you're going to be proven wrong. As I said before, for me with the right car and the right track rF2 is amazing in how connected it makes me feel to the car. But as you said it's clearly missing content. I've been playing it a lot recently and wondering if they should just concentrate on historic content, make their mark there. That things needs some kind of identity.

Edit: A full fledged GT Legends DLC. I'd pay for that.

I really want to be proven wrong too, but I feel like ISI's content focus is more on providing starter content for every kind of motorsport they can think of and leaving it to the community to fill in the gaps. The lack of identity has been rF2's problem for so long and the variance in quality of official content is another problem. Like I'd love to do more racing in the Formula 2 car, but that thing is so bad compared to every other F2 or GP2 car I've driven. Same with the Formula Renault 3.5 which is embarrassing compared to the FR3.5 mod for Assetto Corsa. I think focusing on historic stuff is their best bet, because any time I see a rF2 video in my Youtube subscriptions it's always 50s-60s F1 cars on those historic tracks. I will say I have liked that after releasing the stock cars they haven't stopped with the oval content, there's I think 4 different ovals now covering the 4 basic oval types. Basically I think they need to either put their focus now on bringing all the official content up to standard (which they seem to be doing with 1966 Monaco) or just producing tracks for the content that's there.

Really though with mods I feel like the final nail in the coffin was that they released tools specifically to make porting rF1 mods easier, and no-one seems to have taken to them.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

GhostDog posted:

I also did the FOV section, can someone please tell me that what I've written makes sense? :)

You should just replace all those words with "set your FOV to whatever you think looks good and have fun".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FYI you got me back into nr2003 talking about it.. just spent 2hrs downloading and editing a street stock race series.

I really should buy a 1/2 off irscing sub but the start times always meant I was stressed getting kids to bed so I could race at a decent time.

At $4 a month it may be a bit easier to onky get in one or two races in a week.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Since we're on rFactor 2, they're sending an email to people who bought rFactor 1 with a 40% off code for rF2. That makes rF2 the same price as rF1 is on Steam right now. Code is 40OCT15 if you're interested.

• Locked thread