Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Razzled posted:

Bending bars back is a good way to save 90 dollars, and also possibly die

Bars are real cheap if you go aftermarket..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-SUZUKI-BANDIT-GSF-600-S-2001-OEM-HANDLEBARS-/111598454543?hash=item19fbc9470f&vxp=mtr
buy something like this, and reimburse yourself from the wallet of the man who did this to your bike over and over, after you murder them.

I just don't understand the mentality of someone who knocks your bike over and just acts like its a normal thing. That's like running into a parked car and frolicking off like it's no big deal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
^ I bet the bent bars would hurt when applied vigorously to, say, an elbow or knee.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I pulled a mouse nest out of a friend's bike today, and while it was mostly no big deal they did eat some insulation off a couple wires. Small spots, no breaks, and not even all the way around the wire. For now I wrapped them with some electrical tape 'cause we were going to ride.

However, is there anything better to use? Like something that could be painted on and dries (latex?) that will keep moisture out?

e: apparently my initial thought of PlastiDip wasn't so far fetched. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/liquid_tape

mungtor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 12, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah, you are gonna need a mousegun to get rid of that problem. Tape and latex paint only slows them down a little.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mungtor posted:

I pulled a mouse nest out of a friend's bike today, and while it was mostly no big deal they did eat some insulation off a couple wires. Small spots, no breaks, and not even all the way around the wire. For now I wrapped them with some electrical tape 'cause we were going to ride.

However, is there anything better to use? Like something that could be painted on and dries (latex?) that will keep moisture out?

e: apparently my initial thought of PlastiDip wasn't so far fetched. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/liquid_tape

I know just the man for the job.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My DRZ needs a new battery, seems like. It's measuring 12.24 across the terminals, however when I hit the starter the engine doesn't turn over, or even click, but the lights dim. The bike is a 2011, purchased a couple of years ago, so it might be the original battery.

My local automotive battery store is trying to sell me an equivalent AGM battery at more than double the price. I've never owned an AGM battery, should I just spring for a standard lead acid (two days to order it)? I live in Toronto, if cold weather makes a difference.

Edit: bonus question, which will sit better through the 6 month Canadian snowstorm? Or am I an idiot for purchasing a battery in October at all.

epswing fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 13, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
AGM has advantages over flooded batteries for motorcycles. Faster charging, lighter weight, better vibration resistance. I think they're worth the extra money.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

epalm posted:

Edit: bonus question, which will sit better through the 6 month Canadian snowstorm? Or am I an idiot for purchasing a battery in October at all.
If you're not riding it over the winter, bring it inside and throw it on a tender. They're like $40 or less. Hell, I think the Can Tire one I got for $25 on some weekend sale a year or two ago.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

epalm posted:

My DRZ needs a new battery, seems like. It's measuring 12.24 across the terminals, however when I hit the starter the engine doesn't turn over, or even click, but the lights dim. The bike is a 2011, purchased a couple of years ago, so it might be the original battery.

My local automotive battery store is trying to sell me an equivalent AGM battery at more than double the price. I've never owned an AGM battery, should I just spring for a standard lead acid (two days to order it)? I live in Toronto, if cold weather makes a difference.

Bring your battery inside for the winter.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
DRZ are kind of known for killing batteries. If you're measuring over 12V, take it to a place with a load tester and see if it's got a bad cell.
Whether you keep the current or get a new one, bring it inside and hook it to a tender for the winter. You can get a cheap one at Cyclegear for $15.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

DRZ are kind of known for killing batteries.

This. My cycle gear battery didn't even make it a year.

And no, I didn't forget to put oil in the battery.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

This. My cycle gear battery didn't even make it a year.

And no, I didn't forget to put oil in the battery.

You're not supposed to put oil in the battery. They give you acid to add to it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Marxalot posted:

Woosh.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just top it off with tap water or whatever clear liquid you can find.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Lmao if you don't piss in your battery to refill it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Why fill it at all? I just dumped out what was in there, dry cell supremacy

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think I might need a new battery for my V-Star 650, though a second opinion would be great. Quick backstory, I killed the battery by leaving the key in the ignition a month ago, put the battery on the tender and fully charged it and had no issues until I had to go out of town for two weeks with some fairly cold nights (30-40s) which ended up killing my battery again. Fully charged it again, ran the bike fine for a week until yesterday when I had to get a jump start leaving work, got home and the battery showed 11.4 volts on the multimeter.

Tried to mess with the bike today after leaving it on the tender again overnight, battery showed, 12.2 volts and I still had to jump start it, while running battery showed 13.3 v, let the bike run about 10 minutes, turned it off and let it sit about 15 minutes and it started right up. I let the bike sit for 30 minutes and tried to restart it and nothing, just the weak sound of a engine trying to turn over, battery shows arounf 11.3 v now too. Does this mean I need to shell out the $$$ for a new battery?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bikes don't usually charge at idle so just letting it run can run a battery down.

Sounds like yours is getting weak though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Off a battery tender overnight it should be at around 12.6-12.8, slowly dropping down before stabilizing around 12.4. Your battery is shot.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
It's getting cold as gently caress and dangerous to drive (wet leaves, wet pavement and ice) here and I'm thinking of storing my dr650 for the winter by the end of the month.
I have access to a heated garage. What do you people recommend to do, full tank of gas with stabilizer or is there more to it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Give it a good cleaning then fill the tank, disconnect the battery (put it on a tender once a month), oil the chain and put a cover over it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

Give it a good cleaning then fill the tank, disconnect the battery (put it on a tender once a month), oil the chain and put a cover over it.

Also if you can get the tyres up off the ground. Over winter is *probably* okay but any longer than that and you risk getting flatspots, cracking, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Grimarest posted:

It's getting cold as gently caress and dangerous to drive (wet leaves, wet pavement and ice) here and I'm thinking of storing my dr650 for the winter by the end of the month.
I have access to a heated garage. What do you people recommend to do, full tank of gas with stabilizer or is there more to it?

Honestly the best thing to do is put it on stands and just run it a couple times a month if you can. Top off the gas+stabil, throw it back on the tender and "see you in a couple weeks."

Edit: DRZ so replace "stands" with milkcrate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

:thejoke:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I really don't want to winterize my bike. Is keeping it covered outdoors absolutely terrible? It would still be my primary transportation on dry/not snow covered days.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

:thejoke: is making 2 suzuki tractor motors seize

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 15, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Grimarest posted:

If it's going to sit for a few months, empty the carburetor. Either turn the fuel valve to off if possible and run it dry or use the float bowl drain. Gas sitting in carbs over the winter is an express ticket to varnishing it up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Non-ethanol gas, if you can get it, is another good idea if you're not going to be able to start it for a few months. Not sure if Stabil works to fight that in ethanol-containing gas or not, though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

:thejoke: is making 2 suzuki tractor motors seize

Duhhhhh. That's why I made it in the first place.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

Lynza posted:

Non-ethanol gas, if you can get it, is another good idea if you're not going to be able to start it for a few months. Not sure if Stabil works to fight that in ethanol-containing gas or not, though.

On the topic of corngas, Ethanol Shield was recommended to me by one of my British car enthusiast buddies. He uses it in his Spitfire and swears by it. You can find it at Home Depot. I've been adding it to the CBR's gas and will be doing so over the winter in hopes of avoiding a repeat of carbpolcalypse 2015.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ride through winter pussies

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
love is an open dooooooooor

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

love is an open dooooooooor

BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know someone who has tourerised a DRZ with the intent of riding from one end of the country to the other :allears:

I told him to obsessively watch the oil level.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Razzled posted:

ride through winter pussies

drat right.

Is there snow on the roads or ice?

If no then you can ride. All the winterising you need is ACF50 for the salt

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Hell yeah, I'm riding through winter. If this El NIno everyone's making GBS threads their pants about comes through, I'll be glad I have a rainsuit and waterproof gear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I know someone who has tourerised a DRZ with the intent of riding from one end of the country to the other :allears:

I told him to obsessively watch the oil level.

Isn't your country the size of Delaware or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Isn't your country the size of Delaware or something?

I had no idea how big Delaware is. Turns out it's loving tiny which I assume is your joke.

It's about a 5,000km round trip with a bunch of elevation/temperature changes. But the main hilarity is that he's a middle aged man and thinks two hours in the saddle with dual sport tyres on a drz is easily doable.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Jokes on him if he has the stock drz seat.

I'd suggest he swap it out with a piece of wood.