Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Is there an adhesive that's good for, says, 400F? Doesn't have to be ultra permanent like epoxy. Spray would be nice.

Adhesive or sealant? What's the materials/use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Is there an adhesive that's good for, says, 400F? Doesn't have to be ultra permanent like epoxy. Spray would be nice.
I don't know about sprayable stuff, but glue meant for oven door fixtures will likely do the job.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The tech at the shop pointed out that the insulation pad that's sagging under my 348's engine lid was sagging because the installer never peeled off the adhesive backing. The adhesive has some tack, but I wanna make it stick the first time.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kimbo305 posted:

The tech at the shop pointed out that the insulation pad that's sagging under my 348's engine lid was sagging because the installer never peeled off the adhesive backing. The adhesive has some tack, but I wanna make it stick the first time.

It's probably never going to see 400F solely from cooling air flowing over it while you drive etc etc

I'd just spray some contact adhesive over it - it looks like most contact adhesives are rated for 270ish, and it should be possible to find one that's rated higher.
On the other hand, Ferrari. Don't wanna gently caress it up...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Petite Dinklage posted:

From whom did you buy it?
From Amazon, the company is "SPPC" which I've never heard of but I am a big cheapo. $75 for the pair. The driver side is great, it's just the one side that sucks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

booze chat: I went to meijer for groceries today and decided to show you how fuckin awesome it is to go booze shopping in Michigan (except for the prices I guess, luckily Meijer usually has them at the lowest price allowed by the state)

From where I was standing to all the way in the corner was the the Wine, Beer, and Spirits section of my local Meijer. They have a huge loving selection of everything cold and if it's not in the cold aisles then it's in the boxed aisles

idk how much this costs elsewhere but lol @ buying Rogue

Okay so it's $5 cheaper to go a couple miles farther and get it from here instead of a party store, good to know

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

booze chat: I went to meijer for groceries today and decided to show you how fuckin awesome it is to go booze shopping in Michigan (except for the prices I guess, luckily Meijer usually has them at the lowest price allowed by the state)

From where I was standing to all the way in the corner was the the Wine, Beer, and Spirits section of my local Meijer. They have a huge loving selection of everything cold and if it's not in the cold aisles then it's in the boxed aisles

Okay so it's $5 cheaper to go a couple miles farther and get it from here instead of a party store, good to know

We have four Meijer's here in town with nearly identical booze sections. And that said, it's always cheaper to go to the liquor store. We have three competing chains here in town, one of which is loving enormous and within walking distance of my house.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

literally a fish posted:

It's probably never going to see 400F solely from cooling air flowing over it while you drive etc etc

Yeah, I'm more worried about when it's sitting and the engine is grilling the lid.
3M 77 is only good for 150F, which I thought was too low. Are all adhesive sprays really flammable going on but fine once they're dried out?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

We have four Meijer's here in town with nearly identical booze sections. And that said, it's always cheaper to go to the liquor store. We have three competing chains here in town, one of which is loving enormous and within walking distance of my house.

ugghhhhh I'm soooo jealous. All of the party stores are owned by jerks who add huge convenience fees, and the one super nice liquor store by the in-laws is more expensive than Meijer

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I'm more worried about when it's sitting and the engine is grilling the lid.
3M 77 is only good for 150F, which I thought was too low. Are all adhesive sprays really flammable going on but fine once they're dried out?

Even then I doubt it'll get over 130C/260F. Engine's nominal operating temp is still ~100degC, and there are cooling fans are there not?

I'd probably still be shooting for 300F, though. Pretty much all adhesive sprays are flammable going on because of the hydrocarbon solvent/propellant they use, and fine once dried as the hydrocarbon has evaporated.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Tusen Takk posted:

Fuckin Baptists and their blue book laws keeping us from having liquor on Sundays and in the grocery stores. We get beer and that's it. It'd be really nice to be able to buy it all in the same store.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
10 days booze free.Withdrawal symptoms seems to be over. Starting to feel lame as everyone parties around me. Oh well I guess ill smoke a bowl and do more sit ups.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2015

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Most, if not all, of the counties in Georgia finally voted on sunday sales, and I'm not aware of a single county where it didn't pass. They still can't sell before 12:30 on Sunday, which I guess is an ok trade off. Beer and wine in grocery stores, liquor only in liquor stores. No state-controlled ABC stores though.

Total Wine stores are extremely awesome to wander through. Like a really nice grocery store that only sells beer, liquor, and wine, beer by the growler, and cigars. It's like a one-stop shop for all of my vices!

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Cage posted:

From Amazon, the company is "SPPC" which I've never heard of but I am a big cheapo. $75 for the pair. The driver side is great, it's just the one side that sucks.

As them if you can just buy a new pair and swap out the bad one and send it back for a refund.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
"If it fucks, flies, or floats...rent it." is about the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Petite Dinklage posted:

As them if you can just buy a new pair and swap out the bad one and send it back for a refund.
They would send me one first if I gave them my cc info for them to hold, but as I never heard of the company before I didn't feel super comfortable with that. I have an old lovely one that I can use in the meantime, not a huge deal I just wanted to complain a little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god.

A new Dominoes opened near the store and today they came to the mall and gave away free pizzas!

And God help me I ATE THE ENTIRE THING.

I'm going to die.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

10 days booze free.Withdrawal symptoms seems to be over. Starting to feel lame as everyone parties around me. Oh well I guess ill smoke a bowl and do more sit ups.

I decided to cut waaaaay back. I didn't realize I was going through a handle of whiskey every week until I checked my bank statement. Combination of work stress + life stress = decided to drown it as best I could with alcohol. It was just a bad idea all around. My body hated it and I was getting poo poo for sleep. None of the projects I've had for months were getting worked on because I was always too drunk busy after work. I think the real wake up call was something my son said about how alcohol gets you drunk. Last thing I want him remembering is me drinking my problems away. A drink here or there is fine, but I've got plenty of better things to spend $300 a month on.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

A new Dominoes opened near the store and today they came to the mall and gave away free pizzas!

I'm going to die.

May I recommend...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

I'm going to die.

Please tell me you had a Klondike bar chaser. Or a fried steak, either is acceptable.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

I'm going to die.

There's the Rhyno we all know and love.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Please tell me you had a Klondike bar chaser. Or a fried steak, either is acceptable.

She hid the cooking oil so I couldn't fry the steak!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There's the Rhyno we all know and love.

I hate that guy!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

That's grounds for termination.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MustardFacial posted:

"If it fucks, flies, or floats...rent it." is about the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Also one of the most wise things you will hear.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MustardFacial posted:

Pretty great old saying. I told a friend I wanted to buy a 1930 John Alden schooner and that is the exact quote that immediately came out of his mouth, as if I could somehow have afforded to *actually* buy it. I wish.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mom had taken her car to NTB to get her tires rotated, and asked them to look at the brakes.

They came back with an estimate showing new pads/rotors for all 4 corners, new struts, a new steering rack, timing belt set, etc etc etc. Said it was critical she get the brakes done immediately. So she brought it home, showed me the invoice... I agreed it needed at least front rotors, since it had a nasty shake while braking, but told her to let me handle it.

Dropped $125 at Advance Auto today on pads and rotors for all 4 corners (gotta love that 30% off coupon). Did the front tonight - rotors were likely original (... she's been charged twice by Toyota of Plano for new rotors in the past), since they had cracks and were blued. Pads were worn, but nowhere near critical - they had about 1/4 of the meat left on them.

Looking through the spokes of the back wheels and also feeling the pads, it definitely needs pads, but the rotors look fine. I can't see the back of the rotors due to the weird rear end drum in disc parking brake setup, but if both sides of the rotors look fine, I'm returning the rotors and getting her money back - she's pretty strapped for cash.

Steering rack has a tiny leak; the PS fluid has to be topped off about once a year. It's been leaking since 2007, but I see no point in replacing it until it gets to where it's actually leaking instead of just leaving a damp spot on the rack. Shocks do need to be done sometime, but it still handles fine. NTB was making it sound like it was a death trap.

She asked why they would tell her that her car was in such bad shape. My answer was "because you're a woman, and they thought they could take advantage of you."

She watched me do the front brakes. Had both corners done in about an hour, and it only took that long because one of the caliper bolts was being a oval office and didn't want to thread back in. Her reaction to how long it took was "why do shops charge so much for brakes if they're this simple?". v:v:v

I need to figure out how to flush the brake fluid on it sometime. It has ABS, and I've never dealt with ABS beyond a pad/rotor swap.

Preoptopus posted:

Congrats! I'm about to graduate from my rehab program (happens Monday). Unfortunately I can only claim 3 weeks sobriety, even though I've been in the program since July.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god.

I'm going to die.

Yeah, RIP

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
STR: just keep the fluid topped up as you bleed and it should be fine. I've never done anything different just because it had ABS.

Just check and see if the lines are routed weird. Like our old CX7 it was RR/LF and LR/ RF tied together, instead of just front/back or each corner from furthest to closest.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

iwentdoodie posted:

STR: just keep the fluid topped up as you bleed and it should be fine.
He said he was sober now you rear end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Just check and see if the lines are routed weird. Like our old CX7 it was RR/LF and LR/ RF tied together, instead of just front/back or each corner from furthest to closest.

Good point. It's an Avalon, so basically a stretched V6 Camry of the same year, so hopefully there's nothing weird. I'll check out the routing tomorrow when I replace the rear brakes.

Cage posted:

:laffo:

I gotta say, I wish there was an Advance closer to me - it's about a half hour drive (+ paying about $3 in tolls each way) to get there, but....

That price makes it worth the drive. I may wind up returning the rear rotors, the existing ones look fine (and I really don't want to deal with the fuckery that is known as a drum parking brake inside a disc brake rotor anyway). Just need to be sanded a bit to remove the glaze.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 14, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also one of the most wise things you will hear.

Yeah well this was coming from a friend of my dad, who is unmarried, no kids, owns a business that clears north of $6mil/year, owns two pre-war fully restored Ford pickups, a special edition Hurst supercharged Challenger, and a Maserati GranSport. He bought a brand new $60k pickup because his old one "didn't have electric windows" and him and my dad fly to Vegas on a whim for golfing weekends.

So yeah, maybe I should listen what he has to say.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

Oh gently caress you.

I needed that laugh after this week, thanks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
See my oil cooler? See the imprints? Perfectly fit two sparkplugs in the gaps. PO probably changed plugs but dropped them down onto the barrels, so they rolled down onto the oil cooler and years and years of thermostat flap action and vibration smushed them down.

No plugs present when I opened it, though, and no fresh oil.

Sauteed onions, some cut up "sausages" (hot dog impostors) some green pepper, some honey, some salt, some black pepper, over rice.

Pay day is 12 days away.

I may not make it.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 14, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. I'm loving DONE with summer. Seriously. This poo poo needs to stop. At least it's getting fairly cool at night, but I'm sick of it being this hot, especially this late in the year.

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh gently caress you.

I needed that laugh after this week, thanks.

Good, I'm not the only one who actually laughed at that. :v:

Geirskogul posted:

Sauteed onions, some cut up "sausages" (hot dog impostors) some green pepper, some honey, some salt, some black pepper, over rice.

Pay day is 12 days away.

I may not make it.

Reminds me of when I was a student at UNT and couldn't afford a meal plan. Or much food, really. My dorm room even had a kitchen with an actual stove and oven. :sigh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Is nobody going to pull him up on this cooking faux pas? No? You're all a disappointment.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meant to post this earlier, just couldn't remember it beyond "... I know I meant to post SOMETHING, just can't remember what it was :downsgun:"

Finally remembered it!

So I did a complete drain and fill on my cooling system a bit over a month or two ago, when I replaced the thermostat. Some of the coolant wound up in a gallon milk container.

Apparently DexCool really does turn pretty acidic when it gets old. I have coolant that came from the car 2 years ago in an identical container, and it's still happily sitting in that container. The container that the recent drain/fill wound up in? The bottom of the gallon container melted, and there's a nice big coolant stain on the garage floor. :stare:

Glad I finally did a complete drain and refill. poo poo ate through the coating on the concrete garage floor..

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tusen Takk posted:

They look like Australian prices!

House chat Edit: It cost me $7.5K, been a pain in the arse to move three times, been a huge legal headache with the council, but after a day wrenching on a broken tractor in the sun I just jumped into my swim spa and had a full body massage in the thing for 45 mins.

Worth. Every. Cent

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ferremit posted:

They look like Australian prices!
Are you making GBS threads me? A six pack of beer is about $18-$22 in Australia.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Fuckin Baptists and their blue book laws keeping us from having liquor on Sundays and in the grocery stores. We get beer and that's it. It'd be really nice to be able to buy it all in the same store.

Laws like that are so ridiculous. That's one thing I love about Iowa. I can get liquor/beer anytime, basically anywhere that feels like buying a liquor license. Even my local CVS has a decent alcohol section.

I drove up to Milwaukee a few years ago to buy a car, and got there around 10PM. I was appalled that I couldn't legally buy a six pack of beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Milwaukee makes all sorts of beer, how the gently caress is this possible?

Also, what did you buy/look at?

• Locked thread