Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So Michigan has objectively some of the worst roads in the country. Seriously, the road to and from Detroit Metro Airport looks like it belongs in some third world poo poo hole.

Our legislature's solution was to have the people of Michigan vote on an increase in the sales/gas tax to pay for road repairs. It was rejected by an overwhelming margin. The general message to Lansing was "do your f***ing job".

Let's see how its going:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/10/13/gov-snyder-michigans-road-funding-talks-impasse/73869510/

Oh :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

FAUXTON posted:

No that was/is "Red Eye."

A flock of shitheads so lovely they wouldn't air it until after their audience had the nurse come in and make sure they were asleep.

Red Eye was fun to watch when you were drunk/stoned and wanted to watch something deplorable at 2 am. This was also when Greg Gutfeld was the host. I swear, that dude is a singularity of rear end in a top hat. He will also always be awesome because he let this happen like 10 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwnHaslci9E

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eschers Basement posted:

For the current atmosphere? That's just stupid.

Say what you want about Nixon as a paranoid, diseased crook; and Reagan and Goldwater as racist, senior ideologues; but each of the three of them actually understood that politics is done by politicians making deals and compromises and coming together where they could. Nixon created the EPA and the Southern Strategy. Reagan bloated our military and helped reform the tax code and raise taxes. Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and was instrumental in passing the Panama Canal Treaty.

Our current era of "the only compromise we accept is 100% of what we want" comes straight from the right-wing media machine of the '90's through today.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."

Remember the things the tea party wants and refuses to compromise over are effectively a series of measures to shut down the government one way or another. Reagan is the godfather of today's political climate, though perhaps not its tactics.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a thread for the debate?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a thread for the debate?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746531

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

computer parts posted:

Also arguably the Fairness Doctrine would be used today for things like Climate Change Denial or Creationism.

Technically the former has that benefit (equal coverage) and the latter isn't exactly maligned either.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

No, still a pretty good example unless you think parties vote in lockstep.

I cited it as an example about how switching party control doesn't end previous policies because of that kind of problem, so yeah, it still isn't showing what you think it does

The Iron Rose posted:

We aren't Canada, we, by design, have significantly weakened party discipline. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst, but it's unarguably more democratic.
Which is my point - swapping parties doesn't magic away old policies

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 14, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So 3 former republicans, 1 independent, 1 guy who pissed off every element of the base. Welcome to the democratic debate!

I always forget how much Lincoln Chaffee looks like Senator Palpatine in the prequels

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm gonna run as a democrat next cycle so i can get on the stage

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
e: Wrong thread.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So Michigan has objectively some of the worst roads in the country. Seriously, the road to and from Detroit Metro Airport looks like it belongs in some third world poo poo hole.

Our legislature's solution was to have the people of Michigan vote on an increase in the sales/gas tax to pay for road repairs. It was rejected by an overwhelming margin. The general message to Lansing was "do your f***ing job".

Let's see how its going:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/10/13/gov-snyder-michigans-road-funding-talks-impasse/73869510/

Oh :smith:

A flat tax on gas basically takes the money for fixing the roads right out of the pockets of the middle and lower-middle class. I want the roads fixed, bad, but I wasn't voting for that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sucrose posted:

A flat tax on gas basically takes the money for fixing the roads right out of the pockets of the middle and lower-middle class. I want the roads fixed, bad, but I wasn't voting for that.

Yeah, same.

They tried to sweeten it by bringing back the EITC but that wasn't enough to justify my vote. I'm glad that a lot of the people I know were fussing about "why can't businesses pay more, it's the drat semis tearing up the roads".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

USPOL October: "Do you want to respond?" "No"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

I cited it as an example about how switching party control doesn't end previous policies because of that kind of problem, so yeah, it still isn't showing what you think it does

I used your example as a tangent to talk about separation of powers.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

I used your example as a tangent to talk about separation of powers.

Then this whole bit is my exhausted rear end talking past you and missing the point. Apologies.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

USPOL October: "Do you want to respond?" "No"

USPOL October: "I didn't know what I was doing."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

They all laid the seeds of the modern GOP. They are the founding fathers.

But much our actual founding fathers, they ignore what they actually believed and just project onto them

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

New title owns

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I think Hillary "won" that debate. Bernie really improved in the second half, but still.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

FourLeaf posted:

I think Hillary "won" that debate. Bernie really improved in the second half, but still.

Hillary did very well at rallying her base and generally betting good at debating but I noticed a handful of really easy soundbites that will be taken out of context and used in attack ads.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hillary won the debate, not by a huge margin but she dismissed some of the issues that have dogged her and made a good case for her candidacy. While Bernie also did well, he really didn't provide the outstanding performance he needed to overcome Clinton dominance. I will, however, be interested in seeing if Bernie gains any minority supporters from his statements tonight.

Then there was the clownshow in the background.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
What in the gently caress was Lincoln Chafee doing there. Have you ever seen someone who's fumble-loving up so bad that you are so embarrassed for them you just want it to be over so you don't have to see them fumble-loving up anymore? That was him every single time he spoke; I was just mumbling "shutupshutp" and wishing he could get off camera and not get called on again. Was he aware there was a debate tonight, or did he get told about it an hour before the cameras came on? :iiam:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuoProQuid posted:

Hillary won the debate, not by a huge margin but she dismissed some of the issues that have dogged her and made a good case for her candidacy. While Bernie also did well, he really didn't provide the outstanding performance he needed to overcome Clinton dominance. I will, however, be interested in seeing if Bernie gains any minority supporters from his statements tonight.

Then there was the clownshow in the background.

It looks like "enough with the drat emails" is going to be the takeaway line in the media covering the debate, so that may give him a visibility boost.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Hillary did very well at rallying her base and generally betting good at debating but I noticed a handful of really easy soundbites that will be taken out of context and used in attack ads.

"How will your presidency be different than just a third Obama term?"

"Well, I think that's pretty obvious, a woman president would be different!"

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I still don't know who those other 3 losers are or why they're allowed to be onstage when they're all polling under %1.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
God drat, imagine your entire life as a politician reduced to a punchline.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I love shootin guns

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

JonathonSpectre posted:

What in the gently caress was Lincoln Chafee doing there. Have you ever seen someone who's fumble-loving up so bad that you are so embarrassed for them you just want it to be over so you don't have to see them fumble-loving up anymore? That was him every single time he spoke; I was just mumbling "shutupshutp" and wishing he could get off camera and not get called on again. Was he aware there was a debate tonight, or did he get told about it an hour before the cameras came on? :iiam:

But the metric system! :france:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JonathonSpectre posted:

:v:"Why did you vote for this awful thing?"
:downs: "Well you know I just got there and my dad died..."

Christ that was painful. I wish Cooper would've just asked him to leave because that was some comically bad excuse-making.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VirtualStranger posted:

I still don't know who those other 3 losers are or why they're allowed to be onstage when they're all polling under %1.

The media demands a horse race. Sanders doesn't count, because he's not a centrist.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

:v:"Why did you vote for this awful thing?"
:downs: "Well you know I just got there and my dad died..."

Christ that was painful. I wish Cooper would've just asked him to leave because that was some comically bad excuse-making.

It's like Jeb Bush fumble-loving up that Iraq question again, and again, and again.

WHO COULD HAVE KNOWN I'D BE ASKED ABOUT THIS, CURSES!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JonathonSpectre posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

foobardog posted:

But the metric system! :france:

Is here to stay

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
That debate was pretty terrible honestly.

Hillary and Bernie both gave very mixed, shaky performances, and the other three were just annoying background noise.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

Jim Webb killed a man to be on that stage.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have witnessed all of the my liberal friends talking about how much they were impressed with MoM.

O-MENTUM HAS BEGUN!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Someone on facebook just called CNN the Communist News Network and they weren't being ironic.

I love America.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

smg77 posted:

Jim Webb killed a man to be on that stage.

Well at least he has the gumption to be on that stage.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Disappointed the thread title isn't "I'm a block of granite!". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Feel the Bern:

• Locked thread