Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

wooger posted:

But why are any apps which aren't audio players / messaging / VoIP apps, or used very recently, even running in the background at all?
Because you NEED to come back and claim your magic gems bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

wooger posted:

But why are any apps which aren't audio players / messaging / VoIP apps, or used very recently, even running in the background at all?

How do you think things like push notifications work?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Line of sight infrared signals.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I was having great Doze experience until I decided to use a live wallpaper (Shape Swap LWP to be exact): battery life cratered yesterday but the battery graph didn't even list it. I uninstalled it last night and went back to a static wallpaper and today has been good thus far. :ms:?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

tvgm2 posted:

I was having great Doze experience until I decided to use a live wallpaper (Shape Swap LWP to be exact): battery life cratered yesterday but the battery graph didn't even list it. I uninstalled it last night and went back to a static wallpaper and today has been good thus far. :ms:?

Pretty sure Live Wallpapers are only active when you're actively looking at them on your homescreen(s). I've used live wallpapers since like 2009 and have never had my battery life suffer in any meaningful way because of them. Some other app/process probably went rogue I'm guessing.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure Live Wallpapers are only active when you're actively looking at them on your homescreen(s). I've used live wallpapers since like 2009 and have never had my battery life suffer in any meaningful way because of them. Some other app/process probably went rogue I'm guessing.

I thought as much, but it just seemed too coincidental. The big culprit was Android OS.

TVGM fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 13, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

tvgm2 posted:

I thought as much, but it just seemed too coincidental. The big culprit was Android OS.

Live wallpapers show up in the battery stats screen as what they are, not Android OS IIRC. Sounds like something else was going crazy in the background.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
People have been asking about the new Nexus reviews. This video popped up today and it's the first person I've seen who actually unboxed the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3DhQKral8

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

He unboxed the 5X as well - confirms you don't get a USB A-to-C if there was any doubt.

This channel has various videos shot on both devices too.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Got my Diztronic 5x case today. Almost identical in width to the Moto X 2014, about a centimeter taller. The camera only sticks out by a couple of millimeters, it's much shallower than it looked in pictures of the phone.

Weirdly there's little slits above and below (while looking at it flat on a desk) the power and up/down volume button bump outs, and the material is a little white there like it's been stressed. My Nexus 4 and X 2014 cases didn't have that, is that something they've started doing or a manufacturing defect?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
EDIT: Nevermind, it was some other update. It was optimizing for a good 15 minutes straight, so I was sure it was Marshmallow. Disappointed now.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 13, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, it was some other update. It was optimizing for a good 15 minutes straight, so I was sure it was Marshmallow. Disappointed now.

Check again for updates. There's a security patch that came right before my Marshmallow update.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Audio quality on the recordings is much better on the 6p if that is important to anyone.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Does anyone know why both the 6P and 5X are for sale in stores in India weeks before they've even started shipping in the US?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Super Dude posted:

How do you think things like push notifications work?

What *needs* to send push notifications other than the app types I mentioned?

But besides, I thought push worked via a Google services API, and can wake up the app for you when you respond, very similar to the system Apple has always used on iOS.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

But besides, I thought push worked via a Google services API, and can wake up the app for you when you respond, very similar to the system Apple has always used on iOS.

Best practice to. Supposed to. But not mandatory. Plenty of apps still use their own message notification system either through polling or trying to maintain a constant connection.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wooger posted:

Apps are free to run background services and schedule jobs to do processing tasks and things like syncing, usually so they can be up to date and responsive when you need them, provide notifications for certain events, whatever.

I can't really find any detail, but I think Doze is more about forcing apps onto the 'be considerate' scheduling system they introduced with lollipop. The idea was you could specifically mark your jobs as flexible, and the system could batch them together and do everything at a suitable time. This seems to be along the same lines, but being much more aggressive about deferring unused apps and making them low priority

At the end of the day it's up to the apps themselves what they do with the system (some stuff is important and needs to be able to run whenever it wants). I reckon Google needs to add a name and shame system to be honest - it's all very well saying apps shouldn't use priority stuff if they don't need it, but users need to be able to tell what's misbehaving

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

baka kaba posted:

I reckon Google needs to add a name and shame system to be honest - it's all very well saying apps shouldn't use priority stuff if they don't need it, but users need to be able to tell what's misbehaving

Agree completely. It doesn't help that the battery usage page has gotten less and less useful over the last two android releases, while at the same time google *stuff* has been showing up higher and higher in the battery usage lists.

I'd say also that in addition to per app permissions,I'd welcome the addition of iOS style flags to disable background updates / activity per app. My Twitter app fetching updates on some schedule is fine. Facebook or a game doing anything is not.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Red Warrior posted:

Got my Diztronic 5x case today. Almost identical in width to the Moto X 2014, about a centimeter taller. The camera only sticks out by a couple of millimeters, it's much shallower than it looked in pictures of the phone.

Weirdly there's little slits above and below (while looking at it flat on a desk) the power and up/down volume button bump outs, and the material is a little white there like it's been stressed. My Nexus 4 and X 2014 cases didn't have that, is that something they've started doing or a manufacturing defect?

Are they making a case for the 6p? Are there any cases on Amazon that don't screw up the camera?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 13, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I'd say also that in addition to per app permissions,I'd welcome the addition of iOS style flags to disable background updates / activity per app. My Twitter app fetching updates on some schedule is fine. Facebook or a game doing anything is not.
You can disable per-app background data usage in Settings -> Data usage -> <app>.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

You can disable per-app background data usage in Settings -> Data usage -> <app>.

But will that prevent it from trying?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Super Dude posted:

Are they making a case for the 6p? Are there any cases on Amazon that don't screw up the camera?

There are some at store.google.com. I did find that if you preorder a 6p and sign up for Project Fi, they will send you a 50% off coupon for a case. Still probably cheaper ones at Amazon, but if you want to be sure it works correctly, go with the Google ones for now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eventually the battery stats screen will only have one thing listed and it will simply be title "Battery Drain" and we'll all reminisce about the days of the past while telling our children stories of battery stats breakdowns of yesteryear.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Silly Burrito posted:

There are some at store.google.com. I did find that if you preorder a 6p and sign up for Project Fi, they will send you a 50% off coupon for a case. Still probably cheaper ones at Amazon, but if you want to be sure it works correctly, go with the Google ones for now.

The case is estimated to get here after the phone. :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

XIII posted:

Eventually the battery stats screen will only have one thing listed and it will simply be title "Battery Drain" and we'll all reminisce about the days of the past while telling our children stories of battery stats breakdowns of yesteryear.

Wasn't this the plot of NBC's Revolution?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6s-review-Solid-and-compelling-performance

There we have it folks. Apple has been dethroned in camera quality. They make the top ten, but just by rounding out ranks 8,9, and 10. Android is now the camera king.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How do I get Hangouts messages to react to priority settings the same way it treats SMS messages? For instance, at 11pm, notifications turns to priority and it works for calls and SMS, but regular Hangouts messages are still coming from everyone: even though I use the hangouts app for both.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

beerinator posted:

Does anyone know why both the 6P and 5X are for sale in stores in India weeks before they've even started shipping in the US?
Considering this dumbass Windows Phone is trying my patience like there's no tomorrow, this info annoys me like gently caress. :argh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

India is closer to where they're made, so they probably dropped them off on the way!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I updated my N5 to M, and updated Hangouts to 5.0. Now my loving texts all come in at once like every three hours. I have a job where I schedule with multiple employees, and am sometimes getting cancellations mere minutes in advance. This is unacceptable to me. I suspect it's because of the new Doze thing? This is one of the few times I've actually been pissed off at an Android update.

Can I fix this by switching to Messenger, or some system setting?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

nocal posted:

I updated my N5 to M, and updated Hangouts to 5.0. Now my loving texts all come in at once like every three hours. I have a job where I schedule with multiple employees, and am sometimes getting cancellations mere minutes in advance. This is unacceptable to me. I suspect it's because of the new Doze thing? This is one of the few times I've actually been pissed off at an Android update.

Can I fix this by switching to Messenger, or some system setting?

Settings > Apps > gear icon > Battery optimization > Not optimized pulldown > All apps > Hangouts > Don't optimize

Hoping this convoluted selection fixes my "must receive texts in a timely manner" edge case.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

beerinator posted:

Also why is there just one dude's rushed unboxing video? Camera comparisons, battery life, and information on whether the 810 makes the phone explode in flames would be great.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

Only works for mobile networks, does nothing when you're on WiFi.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
One more small thing that's come out of that Indian preview event, you can open the camera on the new Nexuses with the wrist twist action as well as the previously known double tapping power. Nice to see Google bringing over that shortcut from Motorola. I'd love it if it had the tomahawk chop flashlight action as well.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...e-power-button/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

One more small thing that's come out of that Indian preview event, you can open the camera on the new Nexuses with the wrist twist action as well as the previously known double tapping power. Nice to see Google bringing over that shortcut from Motorola. I'd love it if it had the tomahawk chop flashlight action as well.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...e-power-button/

Bringing over the 2-3 things I'd actually miss from my Moto X to the 6p makes me happy

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Just flashed the 6.0 factory image with a complete wipe, and as part of the setup, I went about setting each app (and several contacts) to have their own custom sounds just as I had with 5.1.1. The problem is that the phone is just playing the default system-wide notification sound for everything, even though the setting seems to "stick" (i.e., when I go back into the settings for each app, it still has my custom choice set as the sound for that app and/or contact). This is happening with Gmail and Hangouts, but ringtones seem to work fine. Anyone else run into this problem?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6s-review-Solid-and-compelling-performance

There we have it folks. Apple has been dethroned in camera quality. They make the top ten, but just by rounding out ranks 8,9, and 10. Android is now the camera king.

that list is kind of silly. the Nexus 6, for example, might under certain conditions take pictures similar in quality to an iPhone but there is a marked difference in real-world usability between them. Hardly a 82/78 comparison.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

that list is kind of silly. the Nexus 6, for example, might under certain conditions take pictures similar in quality to an iPhone but there is a marked difference in real-world usability between them. Hardly a 82/78 comparison.

It really isn't though if you are going to objectively look at the hardware.

Here's a little secret, most people out there are terrible photographers. I've certainly seen my share of out of focus, noisy, blown out, or motion blurred iPhone photos on my Facebook feed. The camera software does help people take better pictures sometimes, but it's not a panacea. When we get to the level of hardware we are at across the board for flagship camera phones, it's time to start looking at the loose nut behind the lens and realize that ANY of these models should give you top notch results.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I'm out of Android and sold my Nexus 6.

So buy my Tylt Vu, wireless charging-ailures! :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746277&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post451315776