Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Solemn Sloth posted:

62 new posts I thought Birb shorted had a stroke or something but no, just another auspol cat fight

I was too busy having a stroke to post, these slap fights get me going :fap:

e: fap snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cats are strange.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Much like your...avatar?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

something 2 think about

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
hmm strange. people are still talking about cats as if they're not just garbage dogs?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Time for some...politics?

NBN would go back to fibre optic under Australian Labor Party, says Jason Clare

http://www.smh.com.au/business/nbn-would-go-back-to-fibre-optic-under-australian-labor-party-says-jason-clare-20151013-gk8fih?stb=twt

quote:

Shadow Communications Minister Jason Clare has indicated that Labor would ramp up the amount of homes connected using fibre-optic cabling as part of the $56 billion national broadband network if it wins the next Federal Election.
The Coalition under then-Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, who is now Prime Minister, changed the NBN to use a range of cheaper and slower technologies including fibre-to-the-node, which relies on the existing copper phone line to deliver broadband.
Labor's national platform in July stated that the party would now be forced to adopt a two-stage rollout if elected - a move many fairly assumed meant it would complete the Coalition's NBN before upgrading the connections to be fully-fibred.

But in a speech given to the CommsDay Summit in Melbourne on Wednesday morning, Mr Clare said a vote for Labor would be a vote for a fibre to the premise NBN.
"Fibre to the node will be gone," he said. "It's not a question of if this will happen, it's when it will happen and how it will be done.
"If you vote for the Labor Party at the next election you will be voting for more fibre."

Mr Clare declined to release more policy details. But sources close to the party said it meant Labor would make the contractual changes required to deploy more fibre-optic cabling across Australia if it won government. It previously wanted 93 per cent of premises to be directly connected to the NBN using fibre to the premise technology.
The sources said such a move would occur gradually because the locations already slated for fibre to the node would already have their deployments locked in. But rollouts planned after that would move to using more FTTP.
They also suggested the Hybrid-fibre Coaxial (HFC) cables that are currently used for Pay TV services may be kept given the billions of dollars being spent on upgrading them.

The current NBN project predicts that just 20 per cent of Australian homes and businesses will get fibre to the premise, with 38 per cent getting fibre to the node or basement and 34 per cent getting upgrades to their hybrid fibre-coaxial, or HFC, connections, which are now delivering pay TV.
The move would come with a risk of delay - the NBN under Labor consistently missed rollout targets due to lengthy construction delays and worker shortages. Mr Turnbull has said this would also result in years of delays and tens of billions of dollars in extra funding requirements.
But Mr Clare said the Coalition's reliance on copper networks for the NBN meant that in some locations, such as Newcastle and the Central Coast, more than 90 per cent of copper pairs needed to be fixed - a process the telecommunications industry calls "remediation".

He cited unnamed contracting sources, who said up to 15 per cent of copper lines in those regions had to be partly replaced.
"Another contractor told me in Campbelltown in Sydney that NBN has had to recently replace almost 3 kilometres of old copper with new copper," he said.
Last month, NBN told Fairfax Media that almost none of the phone lines in its Newcastle trial sites had to be fixed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Time for some...politics?

NBN would go back to fibre optic under Australian Labor Party, says Jason Clare

http://www.smh.com.au/business/nbn-would-go-back-to-fibre-optic-under-australian-labor-party-says-jason-clare-20151013-gk8fih?stb=twt

This is just code for "we'll promise FTTN to marginal electorates and actually do it and then we'll win". Something tells me Bendigo might get NBN in town after all.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ewe2 posted:

This is just code for "we'll promise FTTN to marginal electorates and actually do it and then we'll win". Something tells me Bendigo might get NBN in town after all.

Yeah true. Ridiculous how they're going to the expense of new copper in certain areas.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
So, how badly is an interest rate increase going to gently caress up a lot of people? I'm assuming that the other three big banks will follow Westpac's suit, AND that if the RBA increases rates again, they'll do another rate hike. I know a lot of people are living in the margins of affordability with their mortgages, and unless (and probably even if) you've just taken on a five year fixed rate mortgage (assuming interest rates will continue to increase over the next 5 years), even a small increase can be horrible. And I wonder how many people with investment properties will pass on the increase to renters.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

So, how badly is an interest rate increase going to gently caress up a lot of people? I'm assuming that the other three big banks will follow Westpac's suit, AND that if the RBA increases rates again, they'll do another rate hike. I know a lot of people are living in the margins of affordability with their mortgages, and unless (and probably even if) you've just taken on a five year fixed rate mortgage (assuming interest rates will continue to increase over the next 5 years), even a small increase can be horrible. And I wonder how many people with investment properties will pass on the increase to renters.

In what possible world would the RBA increase rates beyond the next 12-18 months?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Mithranderp posted:

that person that 'owns' 29 homes by the time they're 30 won't be doing so well

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Now that Turnbull's in, and the economy has the momentum of a runaway freight train, we'll have to jack them up to 15%.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A gathering of world Catholic bishops has been thrown into confusion with the leak of a letter from conservative cardinals to Pope Francis bitterly complaining that the meeting is stacked against them.

Australian cardinal George Pell gave the Pope the letter accusing him of stacking the cards against conservatives in an ongoing battle over issues including the church's approach to gays and to divorced and remarried Catholics.

L'Espresso newsweekly, which published the English-language letter in full, said 13 cardinals signed the letter and one of them delivered it by hand to the Pope last week.

gently caress you suck Pell

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Les Affaires posted:

In what possible world would the RBA increase rates beyond the next 12-18 months?

Interest rates have been, at least in historical terms, incredibly low recently. They've either stayed the same or decreased for the past 4 years or so. When I said "assuming interest rates will continue to increase over the next 5 years" I basically meant "assuming interest rates will be higher in 5 years than they are now" because in my very limited understanding of how interest rates work, that is almost a certainty.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Les Affaires posted:

lol nice title.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mithranderp posted:

Interest rates have been, at least in historical terms, incredibly low recently. They've either stayed the same or decreased for the past 4 years or so. When I said "assuming interest rates will continue to increase over the next 5 years" I basically meant "assuming interest rates will be higher in 5 years than they are now" because in my very limited understanding of how interest rates work, that is almost a certainty.

I am just going through the process of restructuring my finances. When I recently sold my home the rates being offered were .25% higher than what they are offering now, this is in the space of six months. Banks are wanting to lend to me at a fixed rate for up to 3 years for ~ 4%. If the banks are locking in for lower than what the average market is at the moment it shows that they're betting against the fact it's going to go lower.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 14, 2015

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

So yes, in the next 5 years there is a high chance rates will be higher than they are now, but how much higher? That depends on a ridiculously large number of factors. The RBA doesn't increase rates in a vacuum, they do it taking into account an enormous amount of data about the economy.

Westpac are no different. They would be looking at their balance sheet and their loan book and working out how tolerant their mortgage customers (and other loans admittedly) will be to a rate hike and making a judgment based on that. The marginal will either endure mortgage stress, or eventually sell or downsize. However, I think from memory a lot of the latest tightening by APRA and Basel has included doing regular stress tests, using an assumed 7% interest rate of mortgages. So even though rates are low now, a lot of mortgages that the banks have been taking have been forced to do so assuming the rates are a lot higher than they are now.

The RBA has said repeatedly in past statements over the last few years that australian mortgage holders are paying off their debt faster than necessary, which has been part of the reason why growth has slowed - people are saving more than spending, just because they haven't reset the regular payment into their mortgage account. If/when rates go up, they'll start eating into this before a significant amount of mortgagees undergo mortgage stress.

The other banks have already increased rates on investor and interest-only loans, they did so a while back when the new APRA rules came into effect forcing them to get a lot more money and a lot less leverage.

i guess to answer your question about mortgage stress and "life being horrible after a small increase", this really depends moreso on lovely lending practises that some of the smaller banks like BoQ were doing prior to the APRA tightening, but also on how dodgy your mortgage broker is, and how far you're willing to bend the rules to get a mortgage without having adequate safeguards behind you. I don't think that situation is very widespread here, because we had the advantage of time and hindsight after the GFC where we saw how much this hosed the USA housing market in that process.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Beetphyxious posted:

lol nice title.

cheers, i have no idea who would argue against feeding poor people

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Mithranderp posted:

During the Hawke years they were 17%, which prompted a recession and 1 million+ people becoming unemployed. That's obviously an extreme example but it'd likely affect a much wider portion of the population than just people who are in the housing market.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Les Affaires posted:

cheers, i have no idea who would argue against feeding poor people

You were arguing that pet food, which you can get made almost entirely out of products that would have been used as waste, could somehow be reconstituted further than it already is and fed to the poor despite citing nothing to back up that this is even possible. Meat unfit for human consumption + X = food fit for human consumption, solve for X

quote:

Sure you could feed pets food that is not fit for human consumption, but you could also recycle it back into the production chain to produce human-suitable food for feeding the third world.

And no it wasn't me.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

open24hours posted:

Now that Turnbull's in, and the economy has the momentum of a runaway freight train, we'll have to jack them up to 15%.

It'd be nice to earn interest on cash that's actually above the rate of inflation. gently caress, what a dream!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

It'd be nice to earn interest on cash that's actually above the rate of inflation. gently caress, what a dream!

Maybe you'll have to invest that money into productive enterprises instead. Have you considered venture capital?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

You were arguing that pet food, which you can get made almost entirely out of products that would have been used as waste, could somehow be reconstituted further than it already is and fed to the poor despite citing nothing to back up that this is even possible. Meat unfit for human consumption + X = food fit for human consumption, solve for X

And no it wasn't me.

X = the bodies of the rich.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GoldStandardConure posted:

X = the bodies of the rich.
You can't eat the rich! Think of the cholesterol!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Feeding pet food to the third world has a few ethical issues of its own.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'll come again when you have judge on the menu.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vladimir Poutine posted:

During the Hawke years they were 17%, which prompted a recession and 1 million+ people becoming unemployed. That's obviously an extreme example but it'd likely affect a much wider portion of the population than just people who are in the housing market.

What even caused that? We had 20% at the same time in Canada and I have no idea why because I was like 2.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Having one pet is not that bourgeois, even if it's a cat. Cats can hunt mice (viz. natural pet food), and there's clinical data to suggest purring cats work as a kind of sonic treatment for broken bones.

Of course, having a dog is easier to justify due to the wide range of tasks humans train them for, but having pets overall doesn't just make you feel good: there are proven mental health benefits.

This is what annoys me about intense environmentalism: there's so much guilt and you have to justify everything. It might be healthy for the environment, but it's not healthy for you. Saving the planet is one thing, doing it at the expense of everything that makes life worth living is quite another. There's no point living in a verdant paradise if you have to make yourself utterly miserable just to get there.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

HookShot posted:

What even caused that? We had 20% at the same time in Canada and I have no idea why because I was like 2.

Stock market slump in 1987 - West Germany and Japan pushed up interest rates, so US rates rose, so there were big share selloffs. Combined with a surge and then decline in commodity prices and high interest rates (among other things) that resulted in an early 90s recession.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Post your favourite justifications for caring more about your cat than a person you don't know starving to death

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

$1 spent on cat food is not $1 not spent on feeding the poor. Cat owners would find something else selfish and dumb to spend their money on

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I seem to have received 3 years worth of crikey subscription simply for renewing my previously lapsed 30 day subscription. Not sure if I am interpreting this right or it is part of the plan or if it was a simple goof on their part but I'm not complaining.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

first dog is at the guardian now though

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Narrator posted:

Stock market slump in 1987 - West Germany and Japan pushed up interest rates, so US rates rose, so there were big share selloffs. Combined with a surge and then decline in commodity prices and high interest rates (among other things) that resulted in an early 90s recession.

Ah cool, thanks.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Cats are bad and their kittens are bad too

Murdork posted:

Fat Cat's son faces jail for siege

THE son of a brothel owner and a man who played Fat Cat is facing jail over a police siege.
During tough times, drug-addled criminal Mark Temple Deane-Johns even took comfort from his dad's role as the beloved children's TV character.
But when the man inside the Fat Cat suit - his father, Damian - died of a heart attack in 2004, Deane-Johns descended back into chemical dependency.
Yesterday, defence lawyer Elizabeth Mansfield asked the District Court not to "crush" Deane-Johns when sentencing him for a 2005 police siege.
"As one mechanism of dealing with his grief, he started using methamphetamine again," she said.
"(I ask) not to impose a sentence that would be crushing for a man who has good rehabilitation prospects."
Deane-Johns, 36, of Dover Gardens, was found guilty of four counts of threatening life and one count of possession of a prescribed firearm.
The court had previously heard Deane-Johns was shot in the chest outside his Yarmouth Rd home during the siege.
Ms Mansfield said Deane-Johns had lived interstate with his mother, a brothel owner, until the age of 14.
He came to Adelaide to live with his father and his partner - children's entertainer Patsy Biscoe - and swapped his criminal, "hectic and chaotic" lifestyle for a "loving" home.
Throughout his trial, he had the support of his wife Samantha.
"She is unfortunately unable to be in court today, she has a yoga class," Ms Mansfield said.
Judge Paul Rice remanded Deane-Johns in custody for sentencing in two weeks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Have we tried kill all the poor?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lid posted:

Have we tried kill all the poor?

The computer said it won't work so we're not doing it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Seagull posted:

The computer said it won't work so we're not doing it.

Did you try raise GST and kill all the poor?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

first dog is at the guardian now though

The grauniad is an excellent publication did you see today's series entitled "photos of politicians with cows"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Negligent posted:

Post your favourite justifications for caring more about your cat than a person you don't know starving to death

I don't get in trouble for waving food infront of a cat and then eating it all myself.

• Locked thread