Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

yes i'm crazy for not taking at face value the word of a career politician. totally wild stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Lotka Volterra posted:

its easy to reconcile when you realize that people with MDs are as much biologists as construction workers are physicists

Construction workers don't diss Newton

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

JFairfax posted:

I have a hard time reconciling the fact that someone is neurosurgeon with that very same person saying that charles darwin was possessed by a spooky ghost doing the devils work.

Welcome to You've been kicked out of The Republican Party

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Sudo Echo posted:

yeah bud this is the part that I have trouble believing

I wish I could believe that Hillary isn't against Medicare for All, or that she wouldn't throw Edward Snowden to the dogs, or that she wouldn't take a hawkish stance on Iran and Syria, or that she wouldn't carry water for Wall Street, or that she actually will Legalize Weed, or that she will make college tuition free instead of preserving the massive tuition costs and predatory student loans system.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hillary did well enough. The one big slip I'd hit her for is that "proudest enemy" question at the end: saying "the far right-wing" would've been a lot better answer than "Republicans".

Bernie was Bernie and was awesome. I love you, Bernie.

O'Malley is begging to be VP.

Jim Webb is the last living Blue Dog, and no longer matters. I did love his "I killed a guy, lol" response, though.

Lincoln Chafee needed a big giant hook to drag him offstage, or a gong, or a bucket of slime, or anything to just make him stop talking. "It was my first day" is not a good excuse for anything.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I guess but who's to say when she'll flip her opinion?

She'll flip it when it's convenient to flip it, hopefully it's in alignment with when I want her to flip (i.e. marijuana, soon).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
lincoln chafees campaign slogan is horns.aiff

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sudo Echo posted:

yes i'm crazy for not taking at face value the word of a career politician. totally wild stuff.

You went quite a bit beyond that

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

rezatahs posted:

he is a brain surgeon and a highly skilled one at that but he is also somehow super retarded on anything outside brain surgery

this isn't that weird if you interact with a lot of doctors, and I'm not just talking about GP's, I know a speciality MD who watchs the O'Reilly factor nightly and believes in that kid who said he died and went to heaven or whatever, assorted other craziness etc.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
doctors are frequently mad retarded

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sudo Echo posted:

A former mayor and current senator isn't a career politician though?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Construction workers don't diss Newton

good point, construction workers probably have a greater understanding of the world around them

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I felt like Bernie Sanders could have done better in tonights debate, but at the same time I wonder how many people felt the same way I did about Hillary. Which is that everything she said was a sidestep to a question or a canned pre-programmed robotic response/talking point. It was like watching a commercial where the spokesperson is a really bad actor.

edit: My stream was shoddy, but did Sanders ever call Hilary out on the fact that she's taking millions of dollars in campaign donations from big banks?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wonder if any of the bottom 3 will pull out of the margins of error?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He didn't break a million as a politician so he's a public servant thanks for trying

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I wonder if any of the bottom 3 will pull out of the margins of error?

o'malley will hit 10% if god loves him more than jesus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah Bernie Sanders has been doing politics for a living longer than any one else on that stage lmbo

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

You went quite a bit beyond that

really? explain it for me

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Ace of Baes posted:

this isn't that weird if you interact with a lot of doctors, and I'm not just talking about GP's, I know a speciality MD who watchs the O'Reilly factor nightly and believes in that kid who said he died and went to heaven or whatever, assorted other craziness etc.

poo poo most people probably have that one oddball in their family who holds a "smart" job at a high level of rank/renown/accomplishment but is a crazed moron otherwise. Mine is a Freeper despite everything on paper about them suggesting they'd not be a lunatic outside of their profession but :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sudo Echo posted:

really? explain it for me

It's interesting how you pretend not to remember your own stupid words.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah Bernie Sanders has been doing politics for a living longer than any one else on that stage lmbo

Yes because when people express dissatisfaction in career politicians it's just the length of time served that is the problem and not the approach to the job or ties to special interests that anyone cares about

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just saw the chaffee clip and holy gently caress

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
Ban fishmench please.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hilary is the establishment candidate in this election I am certain of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Yes because when people express dissatisfaction in career politicians it's just the length of time served that is the problem and not the approach to the job or ties to special interests that anyone cares about

Hey consider this: say the thing you supposedly meant the first time, instead of being a gently caress up?

Also lol at whining at special interests like some stooge.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heh

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

most people would interpret my posts as "i feel bernie sanders is more trustworthy than hillary clinton" but I want to hear your take on it

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hey consider this: say the thing you supposedly meant the first time, instead of being a gently caress up?

Also lol at whining at special interests like some stooge.

why must you do this, why can't you use your powers on someone who deserves it?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ace of Baes posted:

I felt like Bernie Sanders could have done better in tonights debate, but at the same time I wonder how many people felt the same way I did about Hillary. Which is that everything she said was a sidestep to a question or a canned pre-programmed robotic response/talking point. It was like watching a commercial where the spokesperson is a really bad actor.

edit: My stream was shoddy, but did Sanders ever call Hilary out on the fact that she's taking millions of dollars in campaign donations from big banks?

From what I remember, if he did it wasn't directly. I think he said in his closing statement that he was averaging 30 bucks a donor, so I guess you could interpret that as an indirect dig.

Hillary's tendency to go for canned responses was especially awful during her closing statement, which was so vague and rehearsed it sounded like the kind of speech a Popular Politician makes in pulp fiction. The way she exploited her gender for substance was especially offensive. Having a woman as Chief Executive lost any substantive appeal in itself after Thatcher and Merkel.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ace of Baes posted:

Bernie is what he is, I don't think the man has an ounce of guile in him. His answers tonight were mostly straight out of his stump speeches.

Right now everyone is mostly playing nice, but once the margin of error guys disappear and Hillary's camp starts hitting at Bernie the gloves will come off.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

crazy eights posted:

Ban fishmench please.

fishmensch indeed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sudo Echo posted:

most people would interpret my posts as "i feel bernie sanders is more trustworthy than hillary clinton" but I want to hear your take on it

No they wouldn't and you know it

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

crazy eights posted:

Ban fishmench please.

nah

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Boomstick Quaid posted:

if that's the case then don't disparge politicians by using a word that expressly implies that them having spent their career in politics is "the problem"

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

All he said was that he's the only candidate with no Super PAC. He doesn't go on the offensive, it's not his style.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The accusations of "Hillary plants" in the crowd are ridiculous to me but I think you would have to be deaf not to notice she had the majority of support in the room.

I'm a Sanders supporter but you can bet if Hillary wins the nomination I will be supporting her and voting for her. I think it's funny there's a guy pretending she is horrifically bad in this thread as if President Donald J. Trump or a third Bush would be the better alternative. There are always people willing to toss their votes away in the election though I guess.

FWIW I'm still not sure Sanders will have even registered for the vast majority of people who didn't know who he was before the debate. Hillary didn't bomb and I think that's what your mothers/grandparents are going to walk away from this with.

Webb's "my greatest enemy was the guy who grenaded me, glad he's not around today" answer was stone cold badass and again lol at the guy who said it wasn't badass because "we shouldn't have been in Vietnam." Maybe Rambo shouldn't have killed so many people too but he's still loving badass. Also if someone threw a grenade at you and he wasn't your greatest enemy I would wonder just how many people you've pissed off and what those other people did to you to put them higher.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

No they wouldn't and you know it

if I didn't then why would i make that post

god you're dumb

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Aliquid posted:

i just saw the chaffee clip and holy gently caress

i think i'll be laughing at that moment until the election is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

Bernie is what he is, I don't think the man has an ounce of guile in him. His answers tonight were mostly straight out of his stump speeches.

Right now everyone is mostly playing nice, but once the margin of error guys disappear and Hillary's camp starts hitting at Bernie the gloves will come off.

the crucial difference is this, Hilary believes in the American Empire, she's been a part of it on the inside in the 'war on terror' etc etc, she's bought into the military industrial complex lock stock and barrel. She wants to be a strong leader of an imperial power.

Sanders, as far as I can tell, sees that this road is dangerous and feels that American might is not always right.

• Locked thread