Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

kizudarake posted:

I bought a core set yesterday from an Amazon 3rd party seller. Yesterday, their price fulfilled by Amazon was a match for amazon's. Today, Amazon dropped their price by slightly over 10 percent. Is it a dick move to ask the 3rd party seller to match amazon's price drop?

I doubt you'd get them to change their price anyway, tbh. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask, but if they are within 10% of Amazon they are selling pretty cheaply anyway. There's nothing to stop you canceling the order (if it hasn't shipped yet) or returning it either, if it's fulfilled by Amazon. That might be different if you don't have Prime. It's up to you if the hassle of returning it is worth $4, I guess. If you were happy paying what you paid when you paid, I probably wouldn't worry about it, honestly.

The only time I'd definitely not return it is if I were buying from an FLGS selling through Amazon. It feels good to support my friendly not-so-local store because they are cool folks who got me a copy of Space Hulk through magic and niceness, and seem to support X-Wing pretty strongly, and it's not their fault I live almost 4 hours from a decent brick & mortar store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

IrvingWashington posted:

I doubt you'd get them to change their price anyway, tbh. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask, but if they are within 10% of amazon they are selling pretty cheaply anyway. There's nothing to stop you canceling the order (if it hasn't shipped yet) or returning it either, if it's fulfilled by Amazon. That might be different if you don't have Prime. It's up to you if the hassle of returning it is worth $4, I guess. If you were happy paying what you paid when you paid, I probably wouldn't worry about it, honestly.

The only time I'd definitely not return it is if I were buying from an FLGS selling through Amazon. It feels good to support my friendly not-so-local store because they are cool folks who got me a copy of Space Hulk through magic and niceness, and seem to support X-Wing pretty strongly, and it's not their fault I live almost 4 hours from a decent brick & mortar store.

It's MTGbiz, and the price changed right around when my set shipped. It is FBA, and I do have prime, so shipping cost me nothing.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...
I wish that binder was 3-ring sheets instead. I want all my cards in one binder.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Kill_Discussion posted:

I wish that binder was 3-ring sheets instead. I want all my cards in one binder.

Apparently they are making both.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
So, aside from regular tie fighters, which imperial ships are worth owning multiples of?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

kizudarake posted:

So, aside from regular tie fighters, which imperial ships are worth owning multiples of?

Interceptors are really good. Soontir is the best but several of the others can be excellent.

I really like the new TIE/fo; they're a tiny bit more expensive than regular TIEs but have a shield, a better dial, and a target lock.

3x Firesprays is a pretty strong list with a TON of health.

There's a guy locally who runs 4x TIE Advanced but only with the upgrades from the Raider. They're not bad with those.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Interceptors are really good. Soontir is the best but several of the others can be excellent.

I really like the new TIE/fo; they're a tiny bit more expensive than regular TIEs but have a shield, a better dial, and a target lock.

3x Firesprays is a pretty strong list with a TON of health.

There's a guy locally who runs 4x TIE Advanced but only with the upgrades from the Raider. They're not bad with those.

I've got the following ones now.

4x FO ties
1x tie fighter
1x tie advanced
1x tie bomber
1x tie defender
1x regular interceptor
2x special paint job interceptors(imperial aces)
1x decimator
1x tie phantom

At some point, I'll get the shuttle and the slave 1, and I might trade in a bunch of cards to get the imperial raider, but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would suggest getting the TIE Punisher as well, it's not a bad ship and it will boost both your Bombers and Defenders (along with other TIEs).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

kizudarake posted:

I bought a core set yesterday from an Amazon 3rd party seller. Yesterday, their price fulfilled by Amazon was a match for amazon's. Today, Amazon dropped their price by slightly over 10 percent. Is it a dick move to ask the 3rd party seller to match amazon's price drop?

Is the effort really worth the ~$4

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

I would suggest getting the TIE Punisher as well, it's not a bad ship and it will boost both your Bombers and Defenders (along with other TIEs).

Guy I played last weekend was running a Punisher and two Interceptors, you can't quite pull off the same thing as "Shuttle plus Soontir and Carnor" but it still worked out pretty well for him all in all and he got his points out of Deathrain.

Not gonna lie though, Cluster Mines have so far been a neat looking template with a thoroughly disappointing performance. In every game I've seen them used both on my end and against me they've wound up accomplishing gently caress-all.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I really wish Tie Defenders weren't so expensive. I would really love to ve able to run more than 1 in a 100 point list and still be somewhat competitive.

They aren't nearly surviveanle to run a double defender list like brobots.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If they had native boost, maybe, but since they don't, yeah, that's pretty much it. Along with not having the great action economy that brobots get, or the better pilot abilities that brobots get.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Tekopo posted:

If they had native boost, maybe, but since they don't, yeah, that's pretty much it. Along with not having the great action economy that brobots get, or the better pilot abilities that brobots get.

Yup. You can help out the actions by putting PTL and Twin Ion mk2 on Vessery and Rexler, but that alone is 80 points for something that is nowhere near worth 80 points.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

Yup, they needed to have boost and/or evade, in place of barrel roll. Evade is the big one, really, since the stupid thing is actually less durable than 2 regular fighters generally. There's no loving way a basic PS1 Defender should be the same price as PtL Soontir. It's absurd.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Imperial Aces 2: give them a 'Chardaan Refit' for their missile slot, give them a title that either gives them native boost or evade, either one, more pilots with better stuff for them. That and the Twin Ion Engines mk II would probably fix the defender.

I can understand why they were priced that high: they have an awesome stat line (I think they are one of the higher health Agility 3 ships), they have that nice white k-turn and good access to upgrades. Even then it still wasn't worth the points.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like they greatly overvalued the white k-turn.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Is the effort really worth the ~$4

They refunded the money, no problem. 2 line email.

Edit: accidentally left out the punisher from the list.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 14, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Every time I try to convince myself of flying a pair of Starvipers (which I really want to do, they're SO pretty.) or a pair of Defenders, I theorycraft a bunch of lists then end up back at Brobots. Actually, pretty much all of my lists eventually dovetail back into Wes/Wedge, or Brobots. I think I have a problem.

E: It's like my ongoing crusade to abuse Torkhil Mux and Predator on other ships - Yes, you can make a list, and it's mechanically clever, but it's a Rube Goldberg device; You could have just spend the points on 'get more red dice' and killed them.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I have a similar problem in that I'm too in love with the K-Wing. Miranda in particular.

My current plan (apart from that Kyle gimmick list I posted earlier) is Poe + R5-P9 + Autothrusters + PTL, Miranda + TLT, 2x Tala Squadron at 100 points dead.

I was tossing up demoting the Talas to Bandits, but I really like the security of PS4 against things with Predator and PS 2 ships like TLT Y-Wings.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I don't think the 2 points buys you anything, and at PS 8 you're a little less concerned with initiative bids. OTOH, having two bandits at lower PS lets you run them as blockers. So, I think it depends on how you plan to use them: damage dealers or blockers with an init bid.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Gate posted:

I don't think the 2 points buys you anything, and at PS 8 you're a little less concerned with initiative bids. OTOH, having two bandits at lower PS lets you run them as blockers. So, I think it depends on how you plan to use them: damage dealers or blockers with an init bid.

2 points would get me Jan on Miranda for the occasional evade token, but yeah, not much.

I prefer Zs as damage dealers rather than blockers, to be honest. I find they sneak up on people who think they can mostly ignore them.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Jan is pretty good, and lets the other ships evade as well, but it sounds like you may get more from the PS on the Z95's.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tekopo posted:

it will boost both your Bombers and Defenders (along with other TIEs).

Can you talk more about this? I was thinking about getting a Punisher.

Redline seems like he'd love to have a Fire Control System, and Munitions Failsafe seems like a no-brainer.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 14, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you care about cards, the TIE Punisher has both extra munitions (which are useful on the TIE Bomber) and the Twin Ion Engine Mk II, which is good on both the TIE Bomber and especially useful on the TIE Defender. What the Mk II does is make all banks green, which is pretty goddamn decent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tie punisher is really cool because there's a lot of surface area to work with. Unfortunately a lot of it is wasted on the bottom half so even if you get a neat "worlds of Star Wars" going with different panoramic outlines of Tatooine, Hoth, Coruscant, and Endor, half of those won't ever be seen.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Chill la Chill posted:

Tie punisher is really cool because there's a lot of surface area to work with. Unfortunately a lot of it is wasted on the bottom half so even if you get a neat "worlds of Star Wars" going with different panoramic outlines of Tatooine, Hoth, Coruscant, and Endor, half of those won't ever be seen.

I got into this game because I *didn't* want to paint things.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Painting things is cool and good.

One side of me wants to make a hippie van YV666 but the other side knows I'll get bored of it a quarter of the way through.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Painting things is cool and good.

One side of me wants to make a hippie van YV666 but the other side knows I'll get bored of it a quarter of the way through.

I want to paint one up like the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of storage options for mini cards, Broken Token just previewed this:

No release date yet, but they usually have a quick turnaround from "Look at this cool thing we're making" and "now you can buy this cool thing we made"

Listed capacity is around 700 unsleeved cards or 350 sleeved ones.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, where were all these minicard storage solutions six months ago? I don't know if the box is going to be more convenient to haul around in a duffel bag than a softcover binder though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like they greatly overvalued the white k-turn.

To be fair, when that wave was being designed jousting lists were huge.

Wave 4 was a long time ago

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

To be fair, when that wave was being designed jousting lists were huge.

Wave 4 was a long time ago

It speaks volumes that the defender couldn't stand a chance against the most popular jousting list of all: 4BZ.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, the 4k is a weird speed for it. It's slow enough that if it's at range 3, it stands good odds at being blocked if it tries to K-turn and they go slow. But, since it doesn't have a 1-straight, it has to go at least 2 forward, which ALSO risks being blocked. The merge is honestly the scariest turn when I play a Defender, if you can survive that, you're probably okay for a while at least. But often I get hit too hard to recover.

Edit: blocked or at range 1 of a ton of ships.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know if the box is going to be more convenient to haul around in a duffel bag than a softcover binder though.

I think it'll really depend on what your storage solution currently is. Not sure if it'll be the best for X-Wing, but I'm totally getting one to organize all the poo poo in my Eldritch Horror box.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The PS 1 defender probably needed to be 27 points, and the PS 1 E-Wing probably needed to be 25. Generic E-wings are just so utterly not worth it that it's a wonder they even bothered.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Honestly, I'm 90% convinced that the costs on those two ships were so bad because of the B-Wing. The X-Wing stopped being used overnight when the B-Wing hit, because it's flat out superior. They way overreacted with the next wave I think, which leads to us having 1 very good E-Wing pilot, and 2 mediocre Defender pilots, with all the generics being trash heap quality.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If PS 2 B-wings were... 24 points, I think it'd be a very different thing. BBBBZ has been a big thing for a while, and 4B with FCS or 4B with Adv Sensors are ridiculously good at laying down pain while being durable enough to take it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Probably the Starviper is overpriced as well at PS1.

On the other hand the Khrrriiiaaazh at low PS is well priced and the high PS pilots aren't worth it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Kihraxz is weird because the reason Talonbane Cobra is bad is totally unrelated to the points cost. Even moreso than Wedge, his ability is a giant KILL IT WITH FIRE magnet, and they're just not durable enough to sustain any focused fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep, that's correct, but it still means they aren't worth it. The generics do almost the same and you aren't tempted to load them up like you would Talonbane.

• Locked thread