Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

EDIT: Official Press Release. This'll only be on Steam, but if you don't have the Steam version of DX, it'll be 80%-off until the 16th.

Wonder if there's a way to get it to work with my Compact: Disc Read Only Memory version :smuggo:

I started a new playthrough with the big fanpatch/HD-texture thing from ModDB, but got distracted by Brutal Doom v20. I did manage to shank every fucker on Liberty Island first tho :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

As previously threatened, this link will lead you to Deus Ex Revision in a few hours. Before then, though, it'll just lead you to the Steam front page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raR8g42kmFg

EDIT: Official Press Release. This'll only be on Steam, but if you don't have the Steam version of DX, it'll be 80%-off until the 16th.

I can't wait to try this. I just wish I had a better recollection. I'm familiar with a lot of the first half, but my memories of the second half get kind of fuzzy. That's probably a good thing, though, since I won't have to worry about comparing every single thing.

Do you need Deus Ex installed to play it? If so, do you still need the DeusExe program to make sure there aren't any issues with game speed?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 14, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I can't wait to try this. I just wish I had a better recollection. I'm familiar with a lot of the first half, but my memories of the second half get kind of fuzzy. That's probably a good thing, though, since I won't have to worry about comparing every single thing.

You and everyone else. Deus Ex fell off hard in the second half. Everyone remembers Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong and nobody talks about Vandenberg AFB.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Do you need Deus Ex installed to play it? If so, do you still need the DeusExe program to make sure there aren't any issues with game speed?

Yes, you need the base game to be installed. And no, you don't need anything else - Revision runs from its own EXE and just draws on some of the original game files. I think they just rolled out a hotfix that forces Renovation to install the base game first?

I've only poked around a bit (been busy working today), but I'm really impressed so far. The game includes three different playmodes, which you can pick from the Game Options menu.

Human Renovation - Default, vanilla + bugfixes & AI improvements
Shifter - All the above, plus rebalancing and some unique gear
Biomod - All of the above, plus reworked/expanded cybernetics system

Liberty island is simultaneously immediately recognisable and very new. The geometry is a lot more modern and messy. There's more clutter, nooks and crannies, side-buildings, etc. Also lots more bad guys including a few enemies with rifles, making a stealthy approach somewhat riskier.

Just about the only thing that isn't touched is the voice acting, which all sounds vanilla? Everything else has been overhauled. It feels like a full remake.

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

You and everyone else. Deus Ex fell off hard in the second half. Everyone remembers Hell's Kitchen and Hong Kong and nobody talks about Vandenberg AFB.

That's why I'm excited to see the late-campaign stuff in Revision. Area 51's surface area was just a small strip of land and a couple buildings. It felt like they were rushing to get you to the end.

The Revision version looks like a full sized non-linear mission zone now, and that's cool.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2015

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm really looking forward to trying out this Revision thingy but goddamn their website is annoying. Everything is parallax scrolling! Everything is a CSS animation! Everything has to have some whacky animation when you scroll down! gently caress it

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dominic White posted:

Human Renovation - Default, vanilla + bugfixes & AI improvements
Shifter - All the above, plus rebalancing and some unique gear
Biomod - All of the above, plus reworked/expanded cybernetics system

If I completed the base game way back when and didn't really touch it for any mods, and probably not going to play through more than once, figure Biomod might be best to go with?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
As long as the new edition doesn't dare to mess with the GEP GUN's position as the best silent takedown weapon I'm all for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Haven't tried this yet, but a supposed workaround for GOG/CD versions:

Mr.Trigun posted:

Hey folks...since there are some people who own cd/gog version of Deus Ex and don't intend to buy it again (me included..and no money is not the issue here) ...well guess what...no steam version needed. :D

Use the standalone installer (from ModDB page) and ignore steam at the end.
Then download Kentie's launcher http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm , extract it into your Deus Ex/System.
Make a copy of the Deusex.exe and rename it to Revision.exe
Now run the Revision.exe..configure it how you see fit...and finally in Data Directories make sure to check everything..you can uncheck BioMod and/or Shifter if you don't want to play with them.
..and that's it. have fun. In case you have no music in game...check if you have a Deus Ex folder in your Documents. If you do delete it and try to run the game again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I played a little bit of DX Revision (up to the subway station). I can't say that I'm too impressed. There's definitely been some major visual improvements, and areas have been redesigned. UNATCO has really been fleshed out. The break room and Manderly's office are a lot more interesting and don't just look like plain box rooms (although the scale of Manderly's desk is off, as it looks way too big for him.)

Gameplay-wise, I haven't really noticed too many changes. I thought they'd have fixed the tranq crossbow so that it'll knock out guards with a head-shot, but it still doesn't seem to work. EDIT: Never mind, I was reading in a different thread, and I saw that you can go into 'Game Options' and choose which mod changes you want to implement.

One bug I've run into (maybe just an oversight), is that Paul doesn't seem to acknowledge if you've resolved the hostage situation in the subway station if you sneak in through the back and tell the hostages to board the subway train when you open the doors, effectively avoiding the NSF altogether. Maybe I missed the trigger, but he still berates you when you arrive at Hell's Kitchen.

I have to ask: does anyone know where you can find the police baton? It's usually on the dock at the start, but I think it's been moved somewhere else (unless it's been removed.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 14, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

If I completed the base game way back when and didn't really touch it for any mods, and probably not going to play through more than once, figure Biomod might be best to go with?

Yeah, it's been the go-to for much of the community for a while now, and this seems to be a slightly further-tuned version. Here's a 5-year-old trailer for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryec9Mo0XwY

Dunno why the Baton seems to rare for folks. I always seem to get it in the first couple minutes? And yes, you can just ask Paul for a GEP Gun, as always.

Max Wilco posted:

Gameplay-wise, I haven't really noticed too many changes.

By default, there's almost zero changes to the core gameplay because Deus Ex fans are the kind of people to flip out if ANYTHING is altered. Go to Gameplay Options and you can switch things up to Shifter or Biomod.

Still no instant-tranq'ing in any of them, but that's what Prodding with The Prod is for.

Edit: Boy howdy, was I right about Deus Ex fans flipping out at any changes. There's a bunch of negative reviews on Steam from people with 15-20 minutes of play that can almost all be summed up as 'THIS ISN'T EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE, ALMOST LIKE SOME KIND OF MODIFICATION'.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 14, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I keep on thinking that I should play Deus Ex, I've started and stopped a few times now, the furthest I got was that place your chopper lands just before Hong Kong I think? Something about that game just doesn't grab me like it should, and I don't have my saves any more so I'd have to start from the beginning again. It's not an aversion to RPG systems, I loving adore SS2, and it's not a graphics thing either (obviously), and it's not a setting thing because I like cyberpunk just fine, so I'm not too sure what I should do as far as it goes.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

nexus6 posted:

This is awesome! I worked out how to use the turret too, it's really neat having the little dude orbit my head.

I'm making enough money that I can buy the modpacks I need to make some insane weapons, though I've noticed from the shop that there are lots of unique weapons you can't buy. I guess I have to find them when they spawn? I can't say I've ever seen one, will boosting my luck stat help that?

Your Luck stat determines both the things that monsters can drop, and the chance that they'll drop said things, so it's entirely possible that a Cyberdemon could spit out a BFG Infinity or w/e if your luck's high enough, but generally the easiest way to get unique/exotic/etc. weapons is to do missions. Also, if the RNG smiles upon you, when you load into a level you'll hear the sound of thunder and then some occasional sparkly noises. That means that there's a Legendary item around, which you definitely want to get. Don't forget to check every supply crate you see, too, and if you wanna game the system a little, upgrade your Energy stat as high as possible, level the Supply Drop skill up as high as possible, and get the augmentation that doubles your max EP. Supply Drop summons a big golden ammo pack and a supply crate, with higher levels of it causing the supply crate to have better items inside. You can actually level it up enough to get crates that have a very good chance of containing Legendary items but it costs a poo poo-ton of EP to use at that point, hence the need for the augmentation.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They also revamped demonic weapons in 1.02, so playing maps with high monster counts gives you a better chance of seeing demonic weapons and the artifacts that buff them. There's also a quirk in the drop system that makes maps with chaingun spawns far more likely to have superiors (chaingun drops are not affected by this)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Dunno why the Baton seems to rare for folks. I always seem to get it in the first couple minutes? And yes, you can just ask Paul for a GEP Gun, as always.
I remember always picking it up in the unmodified game. I started the vanilla game and found it on a fallen UNATCO soldier you find right up the ramp leading away from the dock. I just couldn't find him in Revision. EDIT: Like you said, the NSF soldier sitting on the bench has it(this is without the Shifter or Biomod mods activated). I guess I expected to just pick it up somewhere near the start. There's nothing that really indicates that he has it (not that there's anything that indicates what guards carry what). I guess I'm just used to picking it up without thinking about it too much.

Dominic White posted:

By default, there's almost zero changes to the core gameplay because Deus Ex fans are the kind of people to flip out if ANYTHING is altered. Go to Gameplay Options and you can switch things up to Shifter or Biomod.

Still no instant-tranq'ing in any of them, but that's what Prodding with The Prod is for.
Thanks. I remember that's what you said over in the Steam thread. I just find it odd they didn't give an option for it while starting the game, but maybe it wasn't possible. Now I'm just a little miffed that I had to restart the game in order to enable the mods.

As far as instant tranqs go, in the vanilla game, I was able to knock out guards in one hit with the baton using the Melee Weapons augmentations (mind you, that was on Easy difficulty, though.) I thought one of the bullet points from Shifter or Biomod was making the tranq-crossbow more effective, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 14, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

I have to ask: does anyone know where you can find the police baton? It's usually on the dock at the start, but I think it's been moved somewhere else (unless it's been removed.)
Walked up from the dock, snuck left to not be spotted by an NSF agent sitting on the bench. PRODded him from the waist up (since I couldn't get the sweet spot through the back of the bench), looted his unconscious body. He had a baton on him.

Alternatively: there's a large, boxlike structure immediately next to him. One side of this structure has an opening to the structure's inside, hastily patched over with wood planks. Break the planks, and inside you'll find a PROD charge and yet another baton.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Boy howdy, was I right about Deus Ex fans flipping out at any changes. There's a bunch of negative reviews on Steam from people with 15-20 minutes of play that can almost all be summed up as 'THIS ISN'T EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE, ALMOST LIKE SOME KIND OF MODIFICATION'.

Almost all of the negative reviews I've seen seem mostly focused on the fact that it doesn't run nearly as well as a Unreal Engine 1 game perhaps ought to, but I don't know how much of that is actually avoidable given the amount of stuff that seems to have been packed into a single mod like this.

There was also that really long review with the weird hate-on for modern gamers but my brain kind of shut off for most of that one.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

daft punk railroad posted:

Almost all of the negative reviews I've seen seem mostly focused on the fact that it doesn't run nearly as well as a Unreal Engine 1 game perhaps ought to, but I don't know how much of that is actually avoidable given the amount of stuff that seems to have been packed into a single mod like this.

I've seen the framerate drop a tiny bit here and there, but nothing that'd ever get into 'makes the game worse' territory. I've not got a particularly fancy PC - only a 660ti. Given that Nvidia's current budget range far outstrips this in power, I wonder if they're running it on vastly outdated laptops?

Then again, I saw a couple of people with waaaaay more powerful machines saying it's running at 20fps for them, so I have no idea what's up there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Both computers I've run it on have played it fine. I did get a barely noticable framerate drop by looking down from the top of the statue but that was it. I'm a little disappointed that not much seems to have changed so far.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Both computers I've run it on have played it fine. I did get a barely noticable framerate drop by looking down from the top of the statue but that was it. I'm a little disappointed that not much seems to have changed so far.

It is a remake, rather than a reimagining. It diverges further from the original later on, as they put the most effort into updating the areas that had the least stuff in.

Don't forget that by default it uses almost totally vanilla rules. You need to pick Shifter (slightly rebalance, some new weapons) or Biomod (Shifter + a new cybernetics system + other bits) from the game options menu if you want a fresher game. Of course due to the nature of both of these, you won't see the full effects until you've got a few augs under your belt anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dominic White posted:

It is a remake, rather than a reimagining. It diverges further from the original later on, as they put the most effort into updating the areas that had the least stuff in.

Don't forget that by default it uses almost totally vanilla rules. You need to pick Shifter (slightly rebalance, some new weapons) or Biomod (Shifter + a new cybernetics system + other bits) from the game options menu if you want a fresher game. Of course due to the nature of both of these, you won't see the full effects until you've got a few augs under your belt anyway.
Liberty Island and Battery Park don't seem all that changed. UNATCO was changed the most but that's more of a hub than a real gameplay area.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Liberty Island and Battery Park don't seem all that changed. UNATCO was changed the most but that's more of a hub than a real gameplay area.

You may want to finish the original game before you try this remake.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arivia posted:

You may want to finish the original game before you try this remake.
I've finished it many times. I'm saying the environments don't seem to have changed all that much.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

There was also that really long review with the weird hate-on for modern gamers but my brain kind of shut off for most of that one.
Yeah I saw that, some people just got to be King poo poo of gently caress mountain I guess.

Got up to UNATCO HQ, pretty impressed with it so far. It's sad how utterly petty the people vote bombing this is, but that's nerds for you.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Simon The Digger posted:

Your Luck stat determines both the things that monsters can drop, and the chance that they'll drop said things, so it's entirely possible that a Cyberdemon could spit out a BFG Infinity or w/e if your luck's high enough, but generally the easiest way to get unique/exotic/etc. weapons is to do missions. Also, if the RNG smiles upon you, when you load into a level you'll hear the sound of thunder and then some occasional sparkly noises. That means that there's a Legendary item around, which you definitely want to get. Don't forget to check every supply crate you see, too, and if you wanna game the system a little, upgrade your Energy stat as high as possible, level the Supply Drop skill up as high as possible, and get the augmentation that doubles your max EP. Supply Drop summons a big golden ammo pack and a supply crate, with higher levels of it causing the supply crate to have better items inside. You can actually level it up enough to get crates that have a very good chance of containing Legendary items but it costs a poo poo-ton of EP to use at that point, hence the need for the augmentation.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a crazy Borderlands vibe from this and it's great.

I've not been able to try any augmentations yet, it says I haven't unlocked any. The wiki mentions you have to use an augmentation canister but not how you come by those, I'm guessing they are rare drops as well?

I'm playing through Alien Vendetta at the moment and the second map has a supply crate right at the start so I could scum that. Also I got an Armageddon event on that map and it's totally bonkers. I was starting to think I was overpowered :P

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Running into three kind of irksome niggles with DX Revision, Its unbelievably dark, Gamma settings only apply to fullscreen mode (this does fix the darkness but I'm hoping for a better workaround!) and the mouse is weirdly sensitive in menus but not everywhere else (changing the sensitivity does nothing to the menus).

Did some searching on steam's community guides, nothing helped so far. Any suggestions?

E: okay well, fullscreen does fix my gamma issues and using keystrokes to navigate menus also fixes that. Its not a perfect solution but it works good enough. :unsmith: This is nice.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 14, 2015

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
The problem is that it uses whatever mouse acceleration you have set in Windows. Kentie's launcher can force Raw Input somehow and thus makes the mouse movement less silly, but alas it's not compatible with Revision apparently.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The really :words: negative review for DX:R on Steam is one of the most bizarre things I have ever read. Since when was Deus Ex a simulation game? What does it simulate?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

The really :words: negative review for DX:R on Steam is one of the most bizarre things I have ever read. Since when was Deus Ex a simulation game? What does it simulate?

Warren Specter called it an "immersive simulation" which means gently caress all outside of interviews.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

Warren Specter called it an "immersive simulation" which means gently caress all outside of interviews.

Yep, it's a term that the most rabid of Deus Ex fans latched onto, and their definition has crystallized down to 'Whatever Deus Ex is exactly, with no deviation whatsoever'.

You can probably find a good dozen 'Why Deus Ex: HR is not an Immersive Situation' articles if you want to google it, but it'll likely be the most tedious half hour of your life?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

It means "First Person Action RPG", except it sounds gooder and doesn't have all that negative manshoot stigma among all the cool kids.

Just played through the Liberty Island mission in Revision. Boy howdy, am I rusty at DX1... it took me like halfway up the statue climb to realize that the reason my aim was so terrible was because one of my arms had been blown off at some point. :downs: But I've started the second mission with a Stealth Pistol that has two weapon mods already, so the Murder Train is only just about to pull into the station after slight delays due to electrical work further up the line.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I actually like the term "simulation game" for something like Deus Ex, if not for describing what the game necessarily is, then the intent behind it (i.e. the poo poo the game does to make the game more immersive like how you handle missions affecting how you speak to characters and characters speak to you).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I plan on playing through Revision with fairly fresh eyes as the only version of Deus Ex I played back in the day was the PS2 version. Can't wait to try it out!

The Kins posted:

It means "First Person Action RPG", except it sounds gooder and doesn't have all that negative manshoot stigma among all the cool kids.

Just played through the Liberty Island mission in Revision. Boy howdy, am I rusty at DX1... it took me like halfway up the statue climb to realize that the reason my aim was so terrible was because one of my arms had been blown off at some point. :downs: But I've started the second mission with a Stealth Pistol that has two weapon mods already, so the Murder Train is only just about to pull into the station after slight delays due to electrical work further up the line.

Manshoot Stigma is my stage name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Genocyber posted:

I actually like the term "simulation game" for something like Deus Ex, if not for describing what the game necessarily is, then the intent behind it (i.e. the poo poo the game does to make the game more immersive like how you handle missions affecting how you speak to characters and characters speak to you).

Then really, I'd give Alpha Protocol the award for 'Most Simulationy of Simulation Games', because daaaaaaaamn :allears:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Thyrork posted:

Running into three kind of irksome niggles with DX Revision, Its unbelievably dark, Gamma settings only apply to fullscreen mode (this does fix the darkness but I'm hoping for a better workaround!) and the mouse is weirdly sensitive in menus but not everywhere else (changing the sensitivity does nothing to the menus).

Did some searching on steam's community guides, nothing helped so far. Any suggestions?

E: okay well, fullscreen does fix my gamma issues and using keystrokes to navigate menus also fixes that. Its not a perfect solution but it works good enough. :unsmith: This is nice.

That's all just Unreal Engine issues. The gamma thing is still an issue as far as Unreal 3, and the mouse sensitivity is half-based on your windows mouse speed settings.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lol you can still skip the entire first mission in Revision if you blow up a gas grenade next to the Unatco building and make a guard open the door. So far i think it looks pretty nice.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

nexus6 posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a crazy Borderlands vibe from this and it's great.

I've not been able to try any augmentations yet, it says I haven't unlocked any. The wiki mentions you have to use an augmentation canister but not how you come by those, I'm guessing they are rare drops as well?

I'm playing through Alien Vendetta at the moment and the second map has a supply crate right at the start so I could scum that. Also I got an Armageddon event on that map and it's totally bonkers. I was starting to think I was overpowered :P

Augmentation canisters, as well as upgrade canisters and the augmentation slot upgrades you need to actually use augs, are very rare, yes, though bosses do tend to drop one of the three when you kill them. And I probably should have told you before, but supply crates are a random spawn; there's a chance every time you spawn into a level that an ammo pickup/backpack will be replaced with a supply crate. That's why I suggested the Supply Drop skill before; it's the only guaranteed way to get one. (Outside of the Arena, anyway.) If you're really lucky, you'll find a supply crate with a little flame logo hovering over it; this means that the crate has to be hacked before it can be opened, and the hacking minigame can improve the contents of the crate (by increasing the rarity level and adding an extra item) if you do it right. If you do it wrong, well, it'll explode in your face. I save my game every time I find a hackable crate, just in case.

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

Lol you can still skip the entire first mission in Revision if you blow up a gas grenade next to the Unatco building and make a guard open the door. So far i think it looks pretty nice.

I'm pretty sure that's deliberate - it's a famous speedrunning trick that's used in vanilla Deus Ex too.

I just can't get over how most of the reviews of Revision are multiple paragraphs long explaining at length EVERYTHING it could possibly do wrong, but only about two of them have a playtime of over 30 minutes clocked. The only longer ones are around the ~2 hour mark, which puts them around maybe the start of mission 2 if they didn't waste much time exploring or poking around?

Deus Ex's hardcore fans just seem a very unhappy, miserable lot.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 15, 2015

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Is there somewhere an idiot-friendly guide to Deus Ex? I've tried many times to get into this game, but something just doesn't click for me, and I don't really understand it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure that's deliberate - it's a famous speedrunning trick that's used in vanilla Deus Ex too.

Yeah i remembered it from last years speedrun thingy people posted about on SA and went ahead to see if it worked. Not sure what all those reviewers are on about. Started up revision and went "Yup, it's Deus Ex allright'. Music sounds nice too (tho i'm one of those fellows that also likes the OCremixes a ton), really faithful of the OG tracks tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

laserghost posted:

Is there somewhere an idiot-friendly guide to Deus Ex? I've tried many times to get into this game, but something just doesn't click for me, and I don't really understand it.

Take the first mission slow and quicksave often. You're basically learning the basics the hard way. Liberty Island is notably wonky in its pacing and difficulty if you're new. Once you've got some mods for your favourite weapons and have a couple of cyborg upgrades, everything just kinda clicks.