Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Like this episode a lot more, Barry icing somebody in a fight feels more like cop shooting back rather than setting up a trap to kill somebody painfully.

Also i totally forgot Michael Ironsides was gonna be Ol Man Snart, owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone else think Jay's powers were gonna come back when he put his helmet on?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Did anyone else think Jay's powers were gonna come back when he put his helmet on?

Haha. Frosty the Speedman.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Rhyno posted:

Yes, but when it didn't happen, I wondered if they still have Wells' wheelchair and the speed force recharge device.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

Haha. Frosty the Speedman.

I would absolutely be okay with this.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ok correct me if I'm wrong, and I might be way off base, but I think there was a very distinct discolouration between Wells' neck and chest in that shot of him. I immediately thought " whose body is wells' head sown on to?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Just me or does Shantel VanSanten look a lot like Meghan Markle?

Oh my god that's who! It was loving killing me the entire episode because I couldn't put my finger on it. Yeah, she absolutely does, I think mostly when she smiles or smirks.

Her and Jay have been great so far, getting really excited about where this season might go considering they went all-in on the whole multiverse thing so early. I wouldn't have been surprised if they stretched that for a couple more episodes. Speaking of which, I know they have to dumb things down for the general audience, but Joe just not understanding the basic concept of multiverses was some Hall of Fame TV stupidity. Like, come on dude, you know time travel is a thing your surrogate son did, but there being more than one Earth is literally incomprehensible to you? You know the Earth you're on? There's another one and maybe some more. That's literally all there is to it.

"Well this is all mumbo-jumbo I'm leaving."

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So I've finally decided to get into this show, and it's been pretty great so far. I'm up to episode 14 and my first major issue with the show came up.

How the gently caress is the Army able to tranq a cafe full of mother fuckers without that being a major deal.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's a TV Army dude. Their abilities, secrecy, and competency are 100% dictated by the plot and what it needs them to do.

e: See also: TV cops, TV FBI, etc etc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I can't shake the feeling that she's going to turn evil, or has ulterior motives or something. Like, it went away a bit when she explained her motivation, but I'm still getting a "trying way to hard to get in with the good guys vibe."
Pun unintentional.

She's definitely going to try and intentionally murder the gently caress out of a bad meta at some point.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Just me or does Shantel VanSanten look a lot like Meghan Markle?

Yes! It was driving me insane.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Barry kinda sucks this season. Then he killed another dude.

On the other hand, Wells is back and that can only mean good things.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Jay's speed powers not originate from the Speed Force, but are instead just a metapower of his? They really laid on thick that Jay had no trace of the Speed Force in his physical makeup, but isn't that basically correct?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Klungar posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Jay's speed powers not originate from the Speed Force, but are instead just a metapower of his? They really laid on thick that Jay had no trace of the Speed Force in his physical makeup, but isn't that basically correct?

Well considering they didn't create the SF until 1994 yes. But his powers were retconned as having always been SF derived, he just didn't know it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

Barry kinda sucks this season. Then he killed another dude.

On the other hand, Wells is back and that can only mean good things.

Yeah, more looking forward to Wells vs Zoom than anything Barry is up to.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
There's no way those "bad" meta's are dead-dead. Truck Atom's husk off to Super Gitmo in a box and get a dustpan out for Sandy and stick him in a bin. They'll be back.

Also the ep was much better and I enjoyed them Doing The Thing

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Zoom seems to be sort of a Savitar kinda villain, only less swarthy and homicidal.

Sort of a mixture of him and the Black Flash I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So is anyone else holding out hope that Zoom is Earth-2 Eddie just to contrive any excuse to get Rick Cosnett back on the show?

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
He's on that terrible abc show

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

fariz posted:

He's on that terrible abc show

Well they'll probably reveal who Zoom is in like February or so, and that ABC show will likely be cancelled by then, so it's not outside the realm of possibility

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bbf2 posted:

Well they'll probably reveal who Zoom is in like February or so, and that ABC show will likely be cancelled by then, so it's not outside the realm of possibility

That show is doing well and just got an order for more episodes, so not looking likely.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

X-O posted:

That show is doing well and just got an order for more episodes, so not looking likely.

On the other hand, that show by its nature HAS to change every season.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Mooseontheloose posted:

On the other hand, that show by its nature HAS to change every season.

We will just get a second terrorist attack carried out by a second mole for season 2.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm really not liking Barry just merking dudes every episode. I understand I'm a giant comics baby but it still bothers me, especially after the hoops they jumped through in season 1 to imprison dudes instead of killing them. Barry knows these dudes are being told to kill him under duress from a super powerful madman and the complete lack of hesitation and, hell, literally no remorse really bugs me.

Chances are they're gonna be not dead later but I'm pretty sure Barry and co don't know that (kind of like how we don't know it yet). They've spent so much time on Barry being dour and hesitant, this is actually a thing to be dour and hesitant about.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 14, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

So is anyone else holding out hope that Zoom is Earth-2 Eddie just to contrive any excuse to get Rick Cosnett back on the show?

Zoom is going to be earth 2 Barry.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zoom is going to be Earth 2 Candyman, Barry accidentally summoned him as a child when he was in the bathroom reciting an old Mazda commercial.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
It's funny how the heroic Jay Garrick showed Barry how to kill his enemies with lightning bolts, when Wells would have likely come up with a plan for Barry to trigger Sand Demon's sand form before "windmilling" him into a sack made from a special material that Cisco whipped up.

Viewers didn't like super-gitmo, so murder is the next best option. Putting Sand Demon in Ironheights, even if it can hold metahumans as Joe suggested, is pretty stupid. Barry would be sentencing all of the guards, and possible quite a few prisoners to death.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

She's definitely going to try and intentionally murder the gently caress out of a bad meta at some point.

Luckily that's how you pledge Team Flash now.

Klungar posted:

In the comics, Jay is a metahuman who gained super speed at about the speed of sound from his hard water experiment stuff he mentioned in the episode. He uses the Speed Force to be even faster though.

In the show, who knows. We don't know why he lost his speed. You would assume he would know if Zoom had speed stealing abilities, but then every other powered guy Zoom sends over retains their powers so it's not an alternate universe thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah when the speed force was taken away in the comics for a while Jay notably still had speedster powers.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Maybe Jay just isn't believing in himself anymore :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

In the comics, Jay is a metahuman who gained super speed at about the speed of sound from his hard water experiment stuff he mentioned in the episode. He uses the Speed Force to be even faster though.

And in the show he can run near the speed of light.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Which he says was not fast enough for him to throw lightning, but Barry, who just passed Mach 2 in the season finale, can?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

You would assume he would know if Zoom had speed stealing abilities

I don't know, he makes a big point about how they don't know anything about Zoom, plus there was definitely that shot where Zoom puts his hand on Jay's chest and does something.

I would say best odds are that Zoom stole his powers (maybe he just recently discovered the ability to steal speed, or never had Jay cornered like that) with an outside possibility that Jay is connected to his world's Speed Force which doesn't apply when you cross over (which would provide extra tension during the inevitable episode where Barry crosses over to E-2).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eddain posted:

Barry should just throw lightning at Jay to jumpstart his powers.

I totally thought the lightning was going to go through Sand Demon and hit Jay and exactly that was going to happen.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

VDay posted:

Oh my god that's who! It was loving killing me the entire episode because I couldn't put my finger on it. Yeah, she absolutely does, I think mostly when she smiles or smirks.

Her and Jay have been great so far, getting really excited about where this season might go considering they went all-in on the whole multiverse thing so early. I wouldn't have been surprised if they stretched that for a couple more episodes. Speaking of which, I know they have to dumb things down for the general audience, but Joe just not understanding the basic concept of multiverses was some Hall of Fame TV stupidity. Like, come on dude, you know time travel is a thing your surrogate son did, but there being more than one Earth is literally incomprehensible to you? You know the Earth you're on? There's another one and maybe some more. That's literally all there is to it.

"Well this is all mumbo-jumbo I'm leaving."

Especially when this is like vanilla sci-fi. Aside from the DC Multiverse, a ton of sci-fi shows from Star Trek on forward have explored the idea. It should be something that a guy in his 40s has at least heard of before. It might be unbelievable that that's real but it should be unimaginable.

Aphrodite posted:

In the show, who knows. We don't know why he lost his speed. You would assume he would know if Zoom had speed stealing abilities, but then every other powered guy Zoom sends over retains their powers so it's not an alternate universe thing.

But those guys don't have powered analogues in Earth-1. It could be the case that you can only have one of each given powerset per world or something - there can only be one Flash, one Sand Demon, one Atom Smasher, etc.

Not sure I buy that, but it's a hypothesis. Alternatively, the way Jay came over differs from the controlled way Zoom is coming over and then crossing back - it feels like Zoom's got some sort of vortex manipulator, that could be a factor.

greatn posted:

Which he says was not fast enough for him to throw lightning, but Barry, who just passed Mach 2 in the season finale, can?

Huh? I thought he said that he never got a chance to try throwing lightning at Sand Demon and that it took him a while learn how to do it. Presumably he just hadn't fought Sand Demon in a while...

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Neon Knight posted:

Harrison Wells wasn't a bad guy. Eobard Thawne was. Earth 2 Wells being treated like a villain reveal is weird.
Considering Tom C. signed on to play a villain, I think we can expect E2 Wells to be up to something shady.

Though now that I think about the last scene, a thought occurred to me. The tour guide called Wells the savior of Central City and it reminded me of how the mayor and the rest of the city on E1 was calling Flash the one who saved the city too. We know everyone thinks Flash closed the singularity on E1, but what about the E2 side of it? Could it be Wells was responsible for that, hence being called a hero? Just a throwaway thought.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

No no, he says he just never threw lightning at sand demon. He said he could throw lightning.

ShawnPfeiffer
Aug 22, 2008
OK, so as a fan, I was SUPER giddy for a lot of this episode. I like the inclusion of Spivot, though I wish she was a CSI geek, like she is in the comics, but I will take this as a close second. I think the taskforce is intriguing on a lot of levels though. They could focus on the small time metas, leaving Barry free to go after the Big Bad. I definitely think more join the taskforce in the coming weeks, similar to what Gotham is doing, but at a slower pace. My real question is why is there no side effects in Arrow? This seems like something that should effect Arrow.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Drifter posted:

I kinda figured that was him just being colloquial, rather than literal. I mean, its hyperbolic by several orders of magnitude otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Astro Nut posted:

I kinda figured that was him just being colloquial, rather than literal. I mean, its hyperbolic by several orders of magnitude otherwise.

Jay Garrick doesn't seem like the type of person to exaggerate.

at all.

• Locked thread