Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
People always say that Super Clean will cause your fingers to look like they just opened the Ark of the Covenant or whatever, but I've never experienced anything like that, even without gloves. I wouldn't let my hand soak in it for a minute or anything like that, but how long do you really need to fish out your minis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It basically does the same chemical process you use to convert fat into soap, so it will really gently caress with your hands sometimes. I guess depends on how oily your skin is.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It basically does the same chemical process you use to convert fat into soap, so it will really gently caress with your hands sometimes. I guess depends on how oily your skin is.

So what you're saying is that goon's thick layer of filth gives them a 2+ armor save vs cleaning agents.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Explains the smell

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or, you know, don't handle that caustic poo poo with your bare hands?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Protip for aspiring paint strippers: Get two tupperware containers with lids, the kind that you can neatly nestle within one another and get a nice seal. Take a smallish (~2mm) drill bit and drill a shitlot of holes in the bottom of one tub. Put the minis in that, the whole thing in the intact tub, and pour in the superclean. Slap a lid on the whole thing, of course.

Once your minis have soaked you can just take off the lid and gently lift the upper tub, and the holes in the bottom will neatly strain the superclean out. You won't even need to fish around for all the loose bits!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

People always say that Super Clean will cause your fingers to look like they just opened the Ark of the Covenant or whatever, but I've never experienced anything like that, even without gloves. I wouldn't let my hand soak in it for a minute or anything like that, but how long do you really need to fish out your minis?

Allergic contact dermatitis is a thing and not everyone gets it. Some people are just more sensitive to it, and once you're sensitised you're gonna suffer from it every time you touch the stuff. The more contact you have with it the more likely you are to become allergic.

I doubt it could saponify the fat in your fingertips from brief contact, and if it did you'd probably do more than post on SA.

Re: gloves try where possible to use the nitrile/vinyl gloves rather than latex. Some chemical compounds can pass through latex (most notably resins)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I use isopropyl alcohol and Random Cheap Chinese Rubber gloves. No adverse effects so far, though the the fumes can be a little heavy. Plus, sometimes you need to double tap a mini - soak it, brush it, soak it again, brush it again, declare it "good enough"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Drake_263 posted:

Protip for aspiring paint strippers: Get two tupperware containers with lids, the kind that you can neatly nestle within one another and get a nice seal. Take a smallish (~2mm) drill bit and drill a shitlot of holes in the bottom of one tub. Put the minis in that, the whole thing in the intact tub, and pour in the superclean. Slap a lid on the whole thing, of course.

Once your minis have soaked you can just take off the lid and gently lift the upper tub, and the holes in the bottom will neatly strain the superclean out. You won't even need to fish around for all the loose bits!

This is another reason I really like Biostrip, you don't need to worry about soaking them. You apply it with a brush and it just sits on the model until you rinse it off.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
buzzz

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The lovely bug eyes on that Genestealer head is wonderful.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nurgle conversions would probably be less popular if not for the T5 and FNP.

Also: Games Workshop releases their texture tool as a stand alone product :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aw, that skull is just so cheerful :3:

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Am I the only one who thought it still looked better than any of the pictures Irregular Miniatures has on their site?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

So did the author.

He then used it as sculpting material.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

enrious posted:

Am I the only one who thought it still looked better than any of the pictures Irregular Miniatures has on their site?

Now I'm sure it's only because their miniatures were probably made in 1995 OHMYGOD

That's some claymation poo poo right there.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

JcDent posted:

OHMYGOD

That's some claymation poo poo right there.

Oh man, these are bad. I have a feeling my brother would want an army of these guys, like how he prefers old school necrons.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Little dudes kind of own in a goofball way. They'd be great for a bizarre little game like Runequest or something.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

These are adorable :3:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That whole site is just a rabbit hole of bizarre figures. It's like the miniatures range that realistic proportions forgot. Some of his stuff isn't awful though. I'm assuming he got CAD at some point to design new sculpts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

handcarved foam figurine for warhammer!
#art#amnesis14#foam#carving#astra militarum#3hours of work

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Goddamnit I hate nurgle

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

Goddamnit I hate nurgle

Oh yeah. The rules attract power gamers, the fluff is unattractive any way you cut (and then 'Papa Nurgle' folks start coming out of the woodwork...) and half of the conversions look like turds.

Tzeench and Slaanesh are the best and woefully underrepresented for the obvious reasons.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yeah, I don't think I've seen any cringeworthy Tzeentch conversions. Yet.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I remember thinking the original demon designs for Tzeentch were dumb as a kid:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

handcarved foam figurine for warhammer!
#art#amnesis14#foam#carving#astra militarum#3hours of work
I can't not see that as a big fancy mustache.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What wasn't dumb back then?

Reset by Peer
Aug 14, 2015

Social Justice Battlemage

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is that pink horror in the middle flipping us off?

"Custom Chaos Dragon" with toilet paper wings:

Orc with Scrunt Unicycle Armor upgrade:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Reset by Peer posted:

Orc with Scrunt Unicycle Armor upgrade:

Totally legit for gorkamorka

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Hell naw, those look amazing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Wurzag posted:

Totally legit for gorkamorka

Yaeh, there's one "butt replaced by a wheel" upgrade.

I like how cheerful/ cheerfully stupid it looks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And how wrong you were.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Why are the blue horrors green

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why are the blue horrors green

Tzeentch, Tzeentch never always changes...

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I always liked Khorne the most. I am a fan of classic depictions of demons, which blend human features with those of something that is not human (such as a goat, a bull, or a lizard). I think that Khorne is the closest, appearancewise, to classical demons, especially the bloodletters and bloodthirsters. It also helps that they look like they could appear in a Doom Wad.

Nurgle is always the same loving thing; fat dudes and intestines. GW clearly never thought very hard about it. Most things shrivel up or break-down as they decay, and people who are diseased almost always, with almost no exceptions, look scrawny and starved. And even when dead bodies bloat, that only lasts for a short time. Nurgle is a total failure in its depiction of rot and disease. Nurgle poo poo doesnt look diseased, it just looks like fat dudes who need a shower and some dental care, AKA night-time walmart shoppers.

Tzeentch has some neat ideas, but it just looks like a mess most of the time. Im all for chimeras and surreal poo poo, but T-Eazy doesn't click with me.

Slam-ish tried way too hard to be the sex-demons. I would have liked the Slam-man way more if they went with something more like Hellraiser's sex-demon-things instead of ugly pink chicks with lobster hands and the giant goat-man. Like Nurgle, Slammo is a missed opportunity to me, because I would have liked it otherwise. That said, NoiseMarines are rad as gently caress and I love both the old versions with their guitars and the new versions with their dubstep-guns. That one motorcycle guy they had was cool too. Slam-Jam could be the coolest if the demons were as cool as their marines.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Nurgle has worked sometimes when they've incorporated more of the aspects of corruption, not to mention insects etc. But it was always meant to be rot, disease and corruption of the living rather than just death and decay. But yeah, they really missed a trick not having nearly skeletonised marines with their armour hanging off them and stuff.

I've always thought Slaanesh works best when it's just excess. It's gluttony to the point of bursting. It's beauty to the point of surgeries that make you look like a frog. Or Joan Rivers. It's poopsocking because you can't stop playing your favourite game. For that matter, it's not buying your kids juice so that you can buy the latest jewel-like objects of wonder... It's... a goon a while back posted a story about a traditional game around Cinco de Mayo time I think where there's a kiss-cam type thing, but the person on camera is expected to flash, and if they don't, the crowd goes loving insane until they do. That's not telling it well, but the way it was told... that's Slaanesh.

The sex demon bit is just tame, it's not thinking deeply enough about what being the corrupted god of pleasure, hedonism and excess should be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JcDent posted:

Oh yeah. The rules attract power gamers, the fluff is unattractive any way you cut (and then 'Papa Nurgle' folks start coming out of the woodwork...) and half of the conversions look like turds.

Tzeench and Slaanesh are the best and woefully underrepresented for the obvious reasons.

Okay serious 40K question, why the hell would anyone worship Nurgle?

Khorne fits warrior-types like a glove, Tzeentch offers power and knowledge, and Slaanesh is literally made of sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but Nurgle is the god of rot, disease, and basically everything unpleasant. I guess that's why he made Nurgle's Rot- he can't get many worshipers any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nurgle is comfort. Nurgle is acceptance. Nurgle is the abandonment of hope and of despair. Nurgle is meeting the inevitable and embracing it with the laughter of a cynic.