Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont really care if the ending is good or not, but if it's bad, people will poo poo all over the game and we won't get anything else like it unless it's licensed content garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A whole lot of people poo poo on it already for much worse reasons, so even if it doesn't end great I'd like to think they did well enough already to consider more.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Whatever happens, no matter the ending, if it is unsatisfying or bad, I will try my best to not let it sully my feelings for the first 4 episodes.

But I have faith in Dontnod, I believe they know what they're doing.

God I'm so loving psyched for Ep 5 :dance:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larry Parrish posted:

I dont really care if the ending is good or not, but if it's bad, people will poo poo all over the game and we won't get anything else like it unless it's licensed content garbage

I think Life is Strange has already opened up a lot of gamers who normally would be all eww icky towards this kind of stuff. I mean Pewdiepie of all people has a popular stream going for it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I just hope the ending feels nice and definite. I don't care if it's linear, I don't care if it's exactly what people have predicted with having to go back let Chloe die in the toilets, but I just hope it doesn't end on some headscratching "interpretable" note. Like after a climactic showdown Max looks up into a light in the eye of the storm and says "Tobanga." and it whites out to credits.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

VagueRant posted:

Max looks up into a light in the eye of the storm and says "Tobanga." "Hella." and it whites out to credits.

Fixed that for you :frogc00l:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, LiS is already considered a gigantic success and I doubt a bad finally will really change that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, LiS is already considered a gigantic success and I doubt a bad finally will really change that.

Really, you can't think of a blockbuster game that people only remember for its terrible ending now? I got two letters and a number to disprove your theory.

(it's ME3, that's what I'm hinting at)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VagueRant posted:

I just hope the ending feels nice and definite. I don't care if it's linear, I don't care if it's exactly what people have predicted with having to go back let Chloe die in the toilets, but I just hope it doesn't end on some headscratching "interpretable" note. Like after a climactic showdown Max looks up into a light in the eye of the storm and says "Wowzers." and it whites out to credits.

Chloe would be the one to say "Hella."

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

BobTheJanitor posted:

Really, you can't think of a blockbuster game that people only remember for its terrible ending now? I got two letters and a number to disprove your theory.

Sane people remember ME3 for its excellent co-op and look forward to ME4('s multiplayer mode).

LiS doesn't have a co-op mode where you battle waves of Hot Dog Mans and that is everyone's loss.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ME3 ended with a cool party on the Citadel so I dunno what all you're talking about!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The endings for ME3 were dumb, but covering your ears and going "la la Citadel was the real ending" is also dumb. The point is that the narrative belongs to the people who write the stories, either good or bad, whether you want it to happen or not. I'm not gonna pretend that Max and her waifu Chloe ride off into the sunset and into the everlasting havens of shipping fanfiction, that's just childish.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's gonna be the ending though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

That's gonna be the ending though

I hope it forces you to individually murder everyone in the town including a sick sync-kill on Pompidou to get it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd do it too

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jokes on you Chloe already killed Pompidou in my game.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd do it too

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gwaint posted:

Whatever happens, no matter the ending, if it is unsatisfying or bad, I will try my best to not let it sully my feelings for the first 4 episodes.

But I have faith in Dontnod, I believe they know what they're doing.

God I'm so loving psyched for Ep 5 :dance:

Ah the Mass Effect 3 phenomena

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mass Effect story is so bad that its hard to hate the ME3 ending when you can see it coming from miles

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everything about Mass Effect is awesome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, it's pretty much a certainty that Episode 5 is going to involve going back to the selfie at the start of Episode 1, right?

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, it's pretty much a certainty that Episode 5 is going to involve going back to the selfie at the start of Episode 1, right?

I would think so, or at least some other picture. There is evidence to suggest that there will be more time travel in episode 5 (the episode 3 kind, not just reversing a dialogue choice.)

This is the evidence. This is the last piece of announced licensed music that hasn't been used. The lyrics of the song can also be interpreted to have a time travel theme.

Try to try again
To hear yourself again from time to time
Try to try again
To hear yourself (again) from time to time
Try to try again
To hear yourself again from time to time

There is also a pretty cool guitar solo at the end. I envision this song playing over a cinematic / cutscene of Max going backwards to "fix" things.It'll probably be pretty good.

-Edit-
It even looks like there are other people that picked up on the licensed music being used to tell a story within the story too. The internet is a strange place.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The Mass Effect 3 ending.............. was good.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rincewind posted:

The Mass Effect 3 ending.............. was good.

I actually sorta liked it after I subscribed to the Indoctrination Theory where the starchild is basically running a con on you.

Then again I sorta liked cocaine and whippets too so grain of salt.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So when the 20th rolls around we going back to spoiler tags? It seems silly that someone would read the last page of thread having not completed it but I guess people may not want the other (hopefully) endings to be spoiled?

I'm curious to see whether Rachel features in the next episode too, and in what form, I suspect she has to, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mass effect ending was horrible because you can see the writer's block coming for a mile and how deeply EA sunk their claws into bioware. As soon as they announced they bought bioware I was just like "oh poo poo, it was a good run bioware."

Anyways, I hope it answers a lot but doesn't answer some things. Like don't answer tobanga.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Torgo2727 posted:

-Edit-
It even looks like there are other people that picked up on the licensed music being used to tell a story within the story too. The internet is a strange place.

I missed a lot of subtextual clues in the first few episodes but the soundtrack was one of the first things I picked up on. The lyrics to "Santa Monica Dream" are almost a little too on-the-nose when they're playing in the background over Chloe discussing her plans to move to California with Rachel.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Ah the Mass Effect 3 phenomena

Well, LiS has been planned out from the beginning and only released over a year so the ending will have to be ok....right? :ohdear:

Prior to ME3 release, everyone was saying how it was all planned out...and we saw what happened there...but they were 3 AAA games developed and released over the span of 8 years sooo... :saddowns:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sout posted:

So when the 20th rolls around we going back to spoiler tags? It seems silly that someone would read the last page of thread having not completed it but I guess people may not want the other (hopefully) endings to be spoiled?

I'm curious to see whether Rachel features in the next episode too, and in what form, I suspect she has to, right?

I think using tags would be nice for about a week or so. Not everyone will be able to play right away but might want to check in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dontnod has said they've worked on each episode one at a time so that they could make adjustments based on player data & feedback. Who knows the extent to which it has actually altered the game script, though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

exquisite tea posted:

Dontnod has said they've worked on each episode one at a time so that they could make adjustments based on player data & feedback. Who knows the extent to which it has actually altered the game script, though.

"'Hella'? No offense, but I hate that word."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hella is too good for this world.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

Hmm so is this why the first to episode has them using slang the completely wrong way, I mean they still do it, but the first episode definitely had a lot more that's not how you use hella there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hella HELLA hella. Get me?

also, hella

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

Hmm so is this why the first to episode has them using slang the completely wrong way, I mean they still do it, but the first episode definitely had a lot more that's not how you use hella there.

Uh, it's used as an adjective.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And as an independent affirmative!

Edit I've also heard it used as a milder "get in".

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Got the pre-Episode 5 game update today

Less than a week so loving excited :swoon:

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Episode 1 and 2 are slow paced, but when you do a replay you instantly start picking up on the subtle foreshadowing all over the place. You can tell they put a huge amount of effort into the story and writing.

exquisite tea posted:

Everything about Mass Effect is awesome.

There's a weird thing going on where the series starts with amazing writing and lovely gameplay , and ends with amazing gameplay and lovely writing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm not sure how to break this to you but Mass Effect 3 was also a massive success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I kinda want to go back and do a new run-through because I injured Frank during my first save. But who cares? Idk.

• Locked thread