Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

cyberia posted:

Vegetables :colbert:
I see onions, maybe cucumbers, more onions and beetroot. You're too demanding...

But fine, have some of that cale everyone seemed to be getting wet over a while ago. That's a staple of German food.

With the proper stuffing, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Simply Simon posted:

I see onions, maybe cucumbers, more onions and beetroot. You're too demanding...

But fine, have some of that cale everyone seemed to be getting wet over a while ago. That's a staple of German food.

With the proper stuffing, of course.

That looks like Savoy Cabbage to me.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Simply Simon posted:

Ochsenmaulsalat

For the non-German speakers: This is literally sliced cow lips.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

twoday posted:

That looks like Savoy Cabbage to me.
Kale, cabbage, who cares...still, lemme look it up if kale is actually a German delicacy.

"A whole culture around kale has developed in northern Germany, especially around the towns of Bremen, Oldenburg and Hannover and the region of Dithmarschen. There, most social clubs of any kind will have a Grünkohlessen or Kohlfahrt ("kale tour") sometime between October and February, visiting a country inn to consume large quantities of kale stew, Pinkel sausage, Kassler, Mettwurst and Schnapps. These tours are often combined with a game of Boßeln. Most communities in the area have a yearly kale festival which includes naming a "kale king" (or queen)."

hahahaha holy poo poo North Germans are loco

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Is there any German food that isn't AFP?

(Click for enormous.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Simply Simon posted:

What more do you want?

Salads

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

With cheese?

With eggs?

Come on, don't be difficult...

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
When I visited my grandparents in Germany, every dinner had like 6 courses, and there was a different tiny salad in between each of them.

Was pretty rad tbh.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You need to wash those salads down with some unsettling pea soup

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

EorayMel posted:

FTFY.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Because of unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to eat anything else today other than a can of watery vegetable soup, and I still wouldn't eat whatever the gently caress it is you just posted. :golfclap: Congrats, you broke cash crab. For now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I am legit unsettled by those soups.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Pea soup is often used as fake vomit in movies/tv. It is pretty tasty though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For breakfast today I had fried eggs and toast, but for some reason I decided to season the eggs with McCormick smokehouse maple and then drizzled BBQ sauce over the top before I ate them.

Shameful. :negative:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FetusSlapper posted:

Pea soup is often used as fake vomit in movies/tv. It is pretty tasty though.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Wanamingo posted:

For breakfast today I had fried eggs and toast, but for some reason I decided to season the eggs with McCormick smokehouse maple and then drizzled BBQ sauce over the top before I ate them.

Shameful. :negative:

Eggs, especially whites or scrambled, are one of those foods that are just a vehicle for other flavors (see also: potatoes, tofu). Short of willfully giving someone food poisoning, there is no wrong way to prepare and serve eggs.

Also yeah, no god or man could make pea soup look appetizing, regardless of how well it was prepared.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Oct 15, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cash crab posted:

Because of unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to eat anything else today other than a can of watery vegetable soup, and I still wouldn't eat whatever the gently caress it is you just posted. :golfclap: Congrats, you broke cash crab. For now.
You can right-click on the picture for a link to this thread's original discussion about that nasty poo poo. C'mon, you know you want to. :getin:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Pölsa.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

EorayMel posted:

Fresh pea soup is good. WIth ham. Yummy.

Unacceptable forms of pea soup:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

twoday posted:

Fresh pea soup is good. WIth ham. Yummy.

Unacceptable forms of pea soup:

Mmmm pea sausage

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Has anyone mentioned Goetta yet?

It comes in Tubes:

And it looks like this when cooked:

It's a food that's unique to the Cincinnati area, and everyone who was born and raised here loves it. I'm a transplant so when someone convinced me it was good I blindly believed them and well, it wasn't. Not to mentioned apparently the only thing you do with it is fry it :confused:

While we're on strange regional foods of Cincinnati, there's Cincinnati Chili:

I had heard the concept of it years ago before moving here as just topping your spaghetti with chili. Which is decent in practice where you have real chili (meat and/or beans). Cincinnati has a strange mutant tradition of chili, it's the bean style, but there are odd spices in it, including chocolate, and the whole thing just tastes off. Of course everyone who's lived their whole life around here loves this poo poo. Skyline, Goldstar, and a couple other brands will also sell cans of the stuff in major food retailers. You can also find Skyline branded shredded cheese, hot sauce, and strangest of all reheat ready spaghetti.

The local coneys don't look too terrible, but they also use the same goddamn chili, so they of course are also off:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You found the loose corn of carrots!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

You found the loose corn of carrots!

Seriously, who makes Shredded carrots?

French style green beans are bad enough.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

VendaGoat posted:

Mixing it with shredded apples and a bit of lemon juice makes for a great sweet salad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

VendaGoat posted:

French style green beans are bad enough.

Shredded carrots are good.

When you then pickle them along with some cabbage.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
See those are both with something.

It's not like you just shred up a carrot and plate it.

bumblingbee posted:

Mixing it with shredded apples and a bit of lemon juice makes for a great sweet salad.
And yes, this is good.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

bumblingbee posted:

That does sound good.

Is it weird that I get the best culinary ideas from this thread?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Kakairo posted:

Is it weird that I get the best culinary ideas from this thread?

I feel like that is equivalent to picking up new sex moves from a snuff film.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

However, if the snuff film has pop-ups saying "TRY THIS INSTEAD!" with helpful and useful sexual hints... well, what the gently caress is going on and who made this

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Helpful hint: Don't strangle your partner with a noose OR your bare hands during coitus!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bumblingbee posted:

And some raisins!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

(From the PYF Stupid Lifehacks thread)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Helpful hint: Don't strangle your partner with a noose OR your bare hands during coitus!

Unless they ask first...:kiddo:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Unless they ask first...:kiddo:

It's all about consent, baby!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Cincinnati has a strange mutant tradition of chili, it's the bean style, but there are odd spices in it, including chocolate, and the whole thing just tastes off.

Using unsweetened cocoa powder is not chocolate, cocoa powder when unsweetened is great on savory dishes and when used in a tomato sauce could turn it into a mole'.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Has anyone mentioned Goetta yet?

It comes in Tubes:

And it looks like this when cooked:

It's a food that's unique to the Cincinnati area, and everyone who was born and raised here loves it. I'm a transplant so when someone convinced me it was good I blindly believed them and well, it wasn't. Not to mentioned apparently the only thing you do with it is fry it :confused:

Goetta loving owns scrub. If you didn't like it you probably had lovely Goetta. Try buying some from a butcher instead of prepackaged in a tube.

It's not that unusual of a dish either. It's basically a modified Scrapple, which while delicious, is probably AFP in itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kalos posted:

Eggs, especially whites or scrambled, are one of those foods that are just a vehicle for other flavors (see also: potatoes, tofu).

Well no, I find that tofu's a nice side dish. gently caress anyone who thinks it's a main or treats it as some kind of protein substitute, though. Shame it's hard to find fresh tofu in the continental US, it's always the boxed kind and always a little sour.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

Well no, I find that tofu's a nice side dish. gently caress anyone who thinks it's a main or treats it as some kind of protein substitute, though. Shame it's hard to find fresh tofu in the continental US, it's always the boxed kind and always a little sour.

Enjoy your estrogen I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I wish to subscribe to whatever newsletter this is from

also:

• Locked thread