Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

mind the walrus posted:

That Husk has his dick in a pumpkin

I heard its really good if you microwave it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ijyt posted:

Sorry is no one going to comment on the freaky burnt husk child on that dragon spawns back?

What is that your mummy or something?

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

ijyt posted:

Sorry is no one going to comment on the freaky burnt husk child on that dragon spawns back?

pretty sure it's a mummy

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

How it works right now: you have a Personal Reward Level that starts at 1 and goes up as you do fractals of your level or higher (so tagging along on higher level fractals is fine). The relics/pristine relics you get for completing fractals & fractal dailies will let you get oodles of AR via Versatile Simple Infusions from the fractal shop bot. It's so trivial that you can't even call it a barrier to entry; the only real limiting factor is how much armor/weapons/accessories you have to slot AR into.

The wiki is your friend, give it a quick read.

Cool. I've probably got 10-12 slots now that you can mystic forge things into having useful stats.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Am I too late to make a mummy pun, or did that wrap up already?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
im gay and embalmed

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

ItBurns posted:

im gay and embalmed

Twinkankhamun

e: mesmers are cool

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 13, 2015

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Oh my god I need the pumpkin hammer

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Sprite141 posted:

It's a lot easier to just get ascended trinkets from guild commendations, and also grab one of the crafting backpacks which are the best. Plop the +5 infusions in them and with just the commendations having infuaions you are good to go.

Of course if you're saving laurels to equip alts then you can't buy the infusions. Which soon will used to be a problem I had.

The only problem is that if you want to go above fractal 29, you need to start making ascended armor or make infused accessories. Which is incredibly loving grindy. I am going to regret not getting my armorcraft and tailor to level 400, not that I could considering I have about 30G to my name.
Diego, please stop getting worked up over agony resistance as you’re getting upset over a misconception you have and consequently spreading FUD in the thread for no real reason. As Lorikeet said, we’re having to constantly explain how the stuff works in game so I’ll try and write a concise explanation here.

The main misconception I see with all of this (which is what Diego is confused about) is that people assume that the +1 infusions are how you actually get Agony Resistance and consequently they make them into a +5 (or buy them from the TP since they’re not bound) and can’t add them to their ascended gear (usually accessories from Guild Missions), declare that this is bullshit and Fractals are stupid and spit the dummy and vow never to do Fractals again. I’m hoping that the :words: below will help to make things a little clearer so that this doesn’t happen to you when you start looking at Fractals in HoT.

Fractals of the Mists
Okay, so for people who aren’t familiar already, Fractals of the Mists are a set of sequential mini-dungeons that can be accessed through a portal in Lion's Arch. They have difficulty scales that (in theory) reward better loot as you go up them but to counterbalance the increase in rewards they scale the enemy NPC health/damage and also introduce a mechanic called Agony which is a ticking debuff that does damage in the form of a % of your health per second.

Currently, a Fractal set is composed of 3 randomised sequential islands followed by a random boss island and you need to complete all 4 to count as ‘finishing’ the set of fractals. In Heart of Thorns this is being changed to each level being a single set island (could be either normal or boss, depends on the level) so it should require significantly less time investment.

Agony Resistance
Agony Resistance will allow you to reduce the damage that Agony does down to a minimum of 1% per tick which makes it negligible but it means that there is effectively a hard gate to entering high level fractals. Fractal scale 1-9 doesn’t require any Agony Resist, 10-19 requires 10 Agony Resistance to reduce Agony to 1%, 20-29 requires 25 AR, 30-39 requires 40AR, 40-49 requires 55AR and 50 (currently the highest scale available) needs 70 AR to reduce the Agony ticks to 1% damage. There is a good explanation along with a chart on exactly how Agony Resistance works on the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony_Resistance

The difficulty scaling is going to a max cap of 50 to 100 in Heart of Thorns but we don’t know what changes to Agony Resistance will be required for that since I don’t think you can actually get enough AR for 100 going by the 15 more AR per bracket increase we have now.

Anyway, to actually get Agony Resistance, you need to have ascended gear as it has Infusion slots on it that you can slot AR into. There are two types of items you can slot into your gear that provide AR: Versatile Simple Infusions (+5 AR, can be put into any normal Agony Resistance slot regardless of whether it’s Offensive/Defensive/Utility) which cost 75 fractal relics from one of the Golem Vendors or special Agony Infusions (the +1 numbered things that you get for completing fractals) which can only be put into infused Rings and Backpacks. There are also fine versions of the simple infusions which are crafted in the mystic forge and give you +5stat as well as the +5AR but they use T6 mats and cost hundreds of gold so they’re entirely not worth it.

Now, to get a lot of AR, you need lots of Ascended gear. There’s no way around it. That said, what you don’t need is to get all 70AR at once before you even start. If you’re only doing fractals for chances at ascended loot chests and fractal skins, I’ve actually gotten more of them from 19 and 29 scale fractals than I have from 49/50 (and I think Cletus has as well). Also, as Nilgoow said 70AR is the absolute maximum you need for the very highest level of fractals and realistically, more people levelling their reward level will be running 49 as opposed to 50 (which also only needs 55AR). You can quite conceivably get 55AR from just your accessories and weapon so I’d honestly be recommending people do that before they charge headlong into ascended armour crafting (which is absurdly expensive).

Ascended accessory acquisition
All of the accessories can be acquired without actually running Fractals at all, although I find it’s still more efficient to get rings from Fractals.
  • Backpiece: Either crafted (in the mystic forge or the specific patterns like Light of Dwayna, etc) or from a very large amount of fractal relics. Crafted exotic backpacks also have an infusion slot
  • Accessories: Guild Commendations are the best way to get these. You can also get them with Laurels+Ecto but it’s a really expensive way to buy them
  • Necklace: Laurels are the only way to get these but you can get them slightly cheaper in terms of laurels by buying them in WvW from the vendors (which also costs badges)
  • Rings: You can either buy them with Pristine Fractal Relics from the vendors inside Fractals, for Laurels+Badges in WvW or plain Laurels

Necklaces can be purchased with a special utility infusion slot that allows you to get 20% Magic Find or 15% Karma gain (also exp/gold but no one uses those) which I’d generally encourage using over a raw +5AR infusion because you can’t get those specific buffs from any other source and they stack with everything else.

Rings I would encourage you to purchase them with Pristine Fractal Relics (which you get for completing a daily bracket completion or fractal daily if it’s up, more on that later) since if you actually start running fractals you’ll be swimming in them before long.

Now, earlier I mentioned ‘infused’ rings and backpacks. Well, when you’re running fractals there’s a chance for some ascended crafting materials (vial/glob/shard of mist essence) to drop. The rings are easier to infuse than the backpacks but basically you need to throw your ring into the mystic forge along with 5 vials/3 globs/1 shard of mist essence and it’ll spit you back out the ring with a second infusion slot on it that can take all those +1 infusions you’ve been getting and combining. You can also infuse ascended backpieces in the same way but they require a Gift of Ascension (500 fractal relics from the vendor in Fractals) and a bunch of ectos to do so most people will stick to infusing rings unless they really need the extra AR.

Reward Level or Why Am I Actually Running These Fractals In The First Place
So, in addition to the scaling difficulty level Fractals also have a scaling reward level called the Personal Reward Level. Basically, any time you complete a set of fractals equal to or higher than your current reward level, it goes up by 1. You can only start a set of fractals with the difficulty as high as your personal reward level but you can join in on any level once it’s started.

What the reward level does is increase the quality of drops you get during fractals but it also has a special interaction with the daily fractal bracket completion where if you’re reward level 11 you start to get a chance of straight up being rewarded an ascended ring (which is unfortunately random so enjoy your bank full of rings with magi stats) when you complete a daily bracket. At personal reward level 26 and above that changes to a chance at an infused ring. Higher level daily rewards also have a better chance at dropping bonus loot like Fractal Weapon Skins, Ascended loot boxes and at higher levels the coveted Endless Fractal Tonic.

Daily Rewards and Reward Brackets
Last confusing mechanic for the day: when you complete a set of fractals you’ll get a reward once per day, similar to dungeon paths. However, unlike dungeon paths there are actually different daily rewards for the various brackets with the caveat that any thing at or above your current personal reward level counts as a single bracket. As an example, I’m at level 50 so if I really hated myself I could run 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40 and 41-50 for a total of 5 daily rewards. If I was reward level 25, I could run 1-10, 11-20 and anything 21 or higher would be a single bracket.

You might also notice that from time to time there are dailies for Fractals, either ‘Daily fractal’ (which requires you to complete a single island) or Daily Scale 1-10 Fractal (which requires you to finish a full set of fractals in that scale). Both of these give a Pristine Fractal Relic from their resulting wigglechests so if you have both of them together at the same time you can combo them with a scale 1-9 fractal run (which requires no AR) and get 3 Pristine Relics. Do that 3-4 times and you can buy yourself the ascended ring of your choice.

Note that this is being condensed to three daily ranges in HoT: 1-20, 21-50 and 50+.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 14, 2015

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I heard from somewhere that any guild upgrades that are queued when the expansion hits will complete, does anyone know if that's been confirmed?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I need all of this oh my god

e: also Mad King boss fight yesss

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'd like to thank everyone, but mostly Traherne for making my personal story not about me. Kudos to totally saving Tyria for 5 minutes.

Seriously, I thought everyone was kidding about how terrible that boss fight was, but really, it was just really that bad. They could have just made it a world boss fight like Teq and made it actually somewhat interesting. The good news is that I could solo Arah story in Rare 'zerkers on my guardian. It took a little under an hour.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
To be fair, it's kind of silly to have two different types of AR infusions that aren't cross compatible with one another but such similar names.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Jhet posted:

The good news is that I could solo Arah story in Rare 'zerkers on my guardian. It took a little under an hour.

It's not a 5 man dungeon any more, the story instance as it stands now is tuned to be soloed. Grats on your first time through personal story though!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

whydirt posted:

To be fair, it's kind of silly to have two different types of AR infusions that aren't cross compatible with one another but such similar names.

Pretty much everything about fractals is kind of silly.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

AzureSkye posted:

It's not a 5 man dungeon any more, the story instance as it stands now is tuned to be soloed. Grats on your first time through personal story though!

What the gently caress? When did this happen?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Was there a goon who said they wanted the Kraitkin precursor? One just dropped for me so I can sell it to you or something :downs:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Hey, I have the +10 infusions rear end in a top hat.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Visidan posted:

Hey, I have the +10 infusions rear end in a top hat.

I prefer to keep that slot empty.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 posted:

There are two components I can mention right now, the rest you’ll have to wait until the 23rd to see:

Gyros should be a good bit more snappy when it comes to staying near you and are also going to experience some additional survivability.

Rocket Charge will have the leap play at start rather than finish (like other leaps) and isn’t going to be so erratic once you’ve closed to your target.

Hopefully it won't leap you off the edge of poo poo or three miles away from your target anymore.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Was there a goon who said they wanted the Kraitkin precursor? One just dropped for me so I can sell it to you or something :downs:

You had me excited until I realized you were talking about the trident, bird.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

brainSnakes posted:

You had me excited until I realized you were talking about the trident, bird.

I know. I confused it with the spear too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Irenio was nice enough to post some druid changes!

Irenio posted:

Hey all,
Since the third beta weekend there’s been a lot of great feedback – thanks!
Below are some of the more solid changes to the Druid since the beta weekend that were made to address some concerns regarding net damage loss in a raid, celestial avatar form feeling gated by staff and glyph reward scaling.

Grace of the Land: This trait has been re-worked. Instead of its former behavior, allies affected by your celestial avatar abilities gain 3% damage and condition damage increase for 8 seconds. This buff stacks 5 times.

Lingering Light: This trait has been re-worked. Instead of its former behavior, when you heal an ally their next outgoing attack will heal them (based upon your healing) and blind their target.

Glyph of Unity: This skill now has a 400 initial effect radius and a 600 radius leash.

Glyph of Empowerment: The radius for this skill has been increased to 600.

Glyph of Alignment: Increased the weakness and cripple duration on this skill from 3s to 5s. Reduced the cast damage by 66%. This skill now applies 3 stacks of poison.

Ancestral Grace: Is now an evade and will immediately end upon reaching your destination.

Celestial Avatar Form: Entering this form now has a 10s CD. Charging of Astral force by healing has been reduced by 40%. Charging of Astral force by outgoing strikes has been increased by 200%. You now retain half your current astral force if you decide to break form early.

Celestial Avatar Form: Skills that heal have had their base heals reduced by 15-25% and increased their healing coefficients from 100-145%. This should leave base heals solid while really rewarding players who elect to use healing power stats.

(Celestial Avatar) Lunar Impact: Reduced the daze on this skill from 3s to 2s. This skill is now ground targeted and will blast finish correctly.
Well wishes,

~Irenio
Bonus: Bristleback Pet F2 is no longer the Sharpen Spines ability. The F2 is now Spike Barrage to give you more rewarding control.

Overall some nice looking buffs to druid. I like this.

And some scrapper stuff too i guess

Irenio posted:

’allo fellow Engineers,
Since the beta weekend there’ve been a fair chunk of posts regarding the Function Gyro, Hammer and Gyros… a bit fewer regarding traits that weren’t contingent on those other components. Below are the more solid changes at this point.

At this point we’re not going to be able to change the elite specialization mechanic very much. There are still going to be changes to it with the possibility for expansion of functionality post-launch.
Hammer was generally well received and many of you pointed out some flaws and potential changes that were in line with our intent for the weapon skills.

Gyros are going to be affected by a systemic change that should increase their survivability quite a lot. In addition to that several changes to how Gyros follow you and their rate of travel were made – they shouldn’t zig-zag randomly about anymore even if you’re not moving and try to stay pretty close to you while you are moving.

Function Gyro – The gyro should appear and begin stomping or reviving more quickly and no longer seek to attack anyone that strikes it, focusing instead solely upon its task of stomping or reviving. The cooldown on the
gyro has been reduced to 20s from 30s and its duration has been reduced to 10s from 15s. This is intended to increase the frequency of availability while still giving it enough time to complete its purpose. The range at which the function gyro can be used has been increased to 900.

Hammer 1 Autoattack Combo: Went in and removed most of the aftercasts from the swings, so this should feel a bit smoother and it is a functional damage increase from the reduced rotation time as well as slightly increased might and vulnerability uptime.

Rocket Charge: Will no longer leap about once you’ve reached your target, instead leaping ensuring that the gap remains closed and your leaps are more closely synchronized. The leap finishers from this ability now happen at the start of each jump, like other leap finishers. Also smacked the bug of this ability being affected by movement-speed.

Shock Shield: This skill now starts you blocking immediately upon and will cease blocking the moment the skill effects end, hopefully giving you better control and sense of the block time so your anticipation and reaction time are more rewarded.

Several Gyros received increased movement speeds to help keep them close to you as you move and some skill changes to make them more effective at their jobs, like increased range on their abilities.

Gyros now start their cooldown upon summon rather than upon gyro death. Medic, Shredder, Purge and Bulwark gyro now have a 35s cooldown, up from 30s. Sneak Gyro needed a cooldown that was longer since it would otherwise have potential 100% uptime, so it now has a cooldown of kitten 45s, up from 30s (its 30s duration remains). This should encourage players to keep them around to gain their benefits for longer.

Impact Savant: This trait now affects dazes in addition to stuns.

Well wishes,
~ Irenio

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 14, 2015

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Kerrrrrrr posted:

And some scrapper stuff too i guess
:swoon:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Attack on Faren

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

quote:

Gyros now start their cooldown upon summon

praise the stun

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

Yeah I'm not going to blame players for thinking the +1 infusions they're getting directly from running fractals are the things you need to use to get agony resistance. No one said Anet is good at this whole fractal design thing, of course.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

well, its not like its something important like the frenzy pre

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/20375-sand-dye

Tired of insanely expensive Sand Dye? Don't buy from those charlatans on the Trade Post. Buy directly from me, the charlatan you know!

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 14, 2015

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
That is a good idea.

Also keep in mind that both tang and shy peach are over 96% similar at a fraction of the cost, as per https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search?cloth=927743&leather=907646&metal=967841&sort=matcher

edit: Can you update the OP to include this helpful link for color matching for new players so they dont blow all their gold on one dye? https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search

LordAdakos fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 14, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

LordAdakos posted:

update the OP

this happens with regularity!

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Paging Lazy, gather your disciples for the big leagues.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress? When did this happen?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Personal-Story-Restoration-update

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

quote:

We strongly believe that regular balance updates are one of the key pillars of building a successful competitive game. As such, prior to each season, there will be a balance update.

and not more often

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Surprised at the lack of Llama hype tbh

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Joust posted:

I prefer to keep that slot empty.

good joke

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
So that is $400,000 that they could have used to fix other poo poo. I've got bad news for Anet but the esports ship has already sailed and it doesn't have GW2 on board.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Glad i sold all my thick leather last night at 47c, i figured it would hit that 2 million wall at 48c and then crash back down. It's in the mid 30s now, maybe i'll buy in again if it goes under 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

LiftAuff posted:

So that is $400,000 that they could have used to fix other poo poo. I've got bad news for Anet but the esports ship has already sailed and it doesn't have GW2 on board.

guild wars 2 is already recognized by the prestigious ESL organization like fuckin forever ago. the esports ship has been sailing with gw2 on board for a while now

forkbucket posted:

Paging Lazy, gather your disciples for the big leagues.

none of yall including me are good enough which says more about my teaching than anything

Kessel posted:

and not more often

one of those balance patches will be made entirely of tooltip updates and icon changes

• Locked thread