Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Turtlicious posted:

If I liked Lisa, Lisa the joyful, Lisa the painful, and Undertale, what else would I like?

Earthbound and fan hacks/extensions of Earthbound (or translations of Mother 3; Mother 1's pretty hard to go back to nowadays) are about what was there for a genre prior to those coming out. It's part of why they were so well-received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Are there any games that have a campaign with a meta-map like Rise of Nations and Dark Crusade? RTSes or turn based stuff are both fine. I just want something where I can play individual maps and gain persistent advantages as I conquer more territories.

I'm quite late, but Eador: Masters of the Broken World is this taken to the most extreme. It's a TBS where you conquer shards that each are a game map, and when you beat them you unlock more units/structures/starting perks/etc. and progress the story and diplomacy. A large part of the strategy is choosing which of the 3-4 shards you have available at any one point to go after both for what it unlocks and which of the other Masters you are facing. Combat is AOW-ish.

It's got some balance issues and is both long and a bit repetitive, but it's still a cool game if this is what you want.

magpie
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely picking up Mad Max when I get the new console. I played Jade Empire back in the day, it's a weird one.

Tagra posted:

Anno has no combat (well, except in some scenarios I guess) and pretty good resource management, although it relies on setting up efficient trade routes to supply all your islands with the goodies you need to advance.

Nice. I'll pick this Anno 1404 on the cheap. I'm seeing a lot of disgruntlement with the DRM on Anno 2070, is that still an issue? Is the one coming out in November shaping up nice?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

magpie posted:

Nice. I'll pick this Anno 1404 on the cheap. I'm seeing a lot of disgruntlement with the DRM on Anno 2070, is that still an issue? Is the one coming out in November shaping up nice?

Launching 2070 from Steam launches the Ubisoft launcher which THEN launches the actual game. Some people despise it, understandably. Personally I find it to be a minor annoyance at worst. And 2070 is worth it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

magpie posted:

2070 had Ubisoft's infamous "always online" DRM, so you couldn't use your ARK abilities if your connection was unstable. It still uses uPlay which is annoying as gently caress, but I'm not sure if it's still always online after they took a lot of backlash over it...

A lot of people prefer 1404 over 2070 anyway. 2070 is more streamlined and has some nifty updates (like the ARK, and online voting for government bonuses) but 1404 has a bit more charm. Otherwise it really comes down to what time period you prefer...

I haven't spent much time looking at the new one but they better not gently caress it up :argh:. Anno is my favourite "Maybe I'll play a bit of this today. Hmm I should probably eat something I gue... holy gently caress it's 8PM???" game

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm all for 1404. Growing a nice modest city from a few farms on an island feels pretty great when you're growing your civilization where the window dressing is founded on an actual period of history theme of exploration, settling, and day I say it, discovery. It loses a lot of personality when it's nothing but generic space buildings IMO.

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013

Tagra posted:

2070 had Ubisoft's infamous "always online" DRM, so you couldn't use your ARK abilities if your connection was unstable. It still uses uPlay which is annoying as gently caress, but I'm not sure if it's still always online after they took a lot of backlash over it...

A lot of people prefer 1404 over 2070 anyway. 2070 is more streamlined and has some nifty updates (like the ARK, and online voting for government bonuses) but 1404 has a bit more charm. Otherwise it really comes down to what time period you prefer...

I haven't spent much time looking at the new one but they better not gently caress it up :argh:. Anno is my favourite "Maybe I'll play a bit of this today. Hmm I should probably eat something I gue... holy gently caress it's 8PM???" game

how does the anno series compare to someone coming mainly from a Civ 4 perspective? I've been interested in those games for a while, but never made the plunge.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CatAteSeven posted:

how does the anno series compare to someone coming mainly from a Civ 4 perspective? I've been interested in those games for a while, but never made the plunge.

Completely different. Anno is a city builder/supply chain management game. The main thrust is meeting your population's increasingly complex needs as they level up, through farming/mining/manufacturing chains spread across multiple islands. It's more akin to something like Sim City than Civ - you can enable competing AI but the main thing is about building your own stuff rather than conquest/domination.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you've ever played Caesar or Pharaoh or Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, it feels a lot like those.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've put to rest my ludicrously rich entrepreneur in X3, and I'm in the mood for some dogfighting, which I've stopped doing in X3 since forever. How good is the new Elite? Does it have single player or is it more like a first person EVE: Online?

SA threads about Kickstarted sci-fi sims confuse and scare me otherwise I'd ask there. :ohdear:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've put to rest my ludicrously rich entrepreneur in X3, and I'm in the mood for some dogfighting, which I've stopped doing in X3 since forever. How good is the new Elite? Does it have single player or is it more like a first person EVE: Online?

SA threads about Kickstarted sci-fi sims confuse and scare me otherwise I'd ask there. :ohdear:

Gaijin has a pair of free to play games that might scratch that itch. War Thunder is WWII planes & tanks (plenty of dogfighting to be had, along with objective bombing/tanks/etc when you get bored of dogfighting) and there's also Star Conflict which is basically the same game engine etc but now it's spaceships pew pew. Note: F2P MMOs so there's grinding and/or paying real money involved, but nowhere near on World of Tanks, etc level.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry for not being clear, trading/missions and stuff are still good, it's just that I'd like the game to lean more to pew pew pew rather than the Spreadsheet Simulator 2015 that all my X3 games end up being. That's why I asked specifically about Elite: Dangerous.

Thanks for the tips, anyway. I knew about War Thunder but I'll take a look at the other one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You might give Rebel Galaxy a shot when it comes out on the 20th. It's not so much dogfighting though as it is Black Flag style naval combat in space.

The other game that immediately springs to mind is Freelancer. I personally wasn't a huge fan, but it's pretty much a typical space combat and trading game, just with nothing really special to make it stand out.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry for not being clear, trading/missions and stuff are still good, it's just that I'd like the game to lean more to pew pew pew rather than the Spreadsheet Simulator 2015 that all my X3 games end up being. That's why I asked specifically about Elite: Dangerous.

Thanks for the tips, anyway. I knew about War Thunder but I'll take a look at the other one.
Freespace 2 open is only space dogfighting (no trading or free-play). You'd need to grab the original game on good old games and then use the installer linked for the upgraded effects and missions. The Freespace 1 campaign is included as a playable mod in the launcher.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 15, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fat Samurai posted:

You played I-War? They're fantastic games. Fully newtonian physics, which is coupled quite nicely with the ability to tow containers. Which also have the full newtonian physics. No need to use torpedoes to take out capital ships or space stations thanks to this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think I've recommend Tachyon: The Fringe in here a few times. I wonder if anyone ever took me up on it? It's a really fun space-dogfighting game starring Bruce Campbell. It's semi-open world in that all the missions take place within a consistent area. Two completely different storylines too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

You might give Rebel Galaxy a shot when it comes out on the 20th. It's not so much dogfighting though as it is Black Flag style naval combat in space.

The other game that immediately springs to mind is Freelancer. I personally wasn't a huge fan, but it's pretty much a typical space combat and trading game, just with nothing really special to make it stand out.

Holy cow, that sounds amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think I've recommend Tachyon: The Fringe in here a few times. I wonder if anyone ever took me up on it? It's a really fun space-dogfighting game starring Bruce Campbell. It's semi-open world in that all the missions take place within a consistent area. Two completely different storylines too.
I did! It kinda owns but gave me a constant nagging feeling that I should be playing Freespace 2 instead. Which really isn't fair on the poor game. :(

also while playing it I kept singing (“singing”) the Death Grips song Takyon under my breath and it drove me tragically insane because I don’t even like Death Grips but again I don’t think I can blame the game for that.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 16, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Keeshhound posted:

This game looks kinda cheap, but also...really fun? It's definitely on my radar now.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

exquisite tea posted:

This game looks kinda cheap, but also...really fun? It's definitely on my radar now.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it's by the guys who did Torchlight, and it's releasing at $20. But yeah, it's definitely going to be more indie game than AAA blockbuster.

Also, the soundtrack is space western as hell and I am totally down for that.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 16, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah the gameplay idea behind Rebel Galaxy seems fun enough, but it was that rascally, raucous cowboy attitude it seems to have that really sold it to me. I'll definitely gonna try that game out when it's released.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rebel Galaxy looks a lot like Space Engineers. Is it going to involve spaceships losing chunks and the damaged remains still being able to fight?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of all these space games, is there a space sim where you run the ship more from a command perspective? Command crew, upgrade the ship, etc. Like FTL, but more open and on a larger scale.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danger Mahoney posted:

Speaking of all these space games, is there a space sim where you run the ship more from a command perspective? Command crew, upgrade the ship, etc. Like FTL, but more open and on a larger scale.

If you've got a couple of friends, Artemis is the game for you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Danger Mahoney posted:

I eagerly await the release of Flagship

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm a little tired of dry, arid postapocalyptia.

What good games are there that have overgrowth choking out cities? Something that feels like abandoned cities were reclaimed by nature but despite that they still feel like 'cities'. Meaning despite overgrowth and plants everywhere you can tell they're still skyscrapers, streets, etc.

These are examples of sort of the feel I was looking for.

I've heard 'The Last of Us' is similar to this, so I'm looking into the remastered version, but what else might be out there?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

khy posted:

What good games are there that have overgrowth choking out cities? Something that feels like abandoned cities were reclaimed by nature but despite that they still feel like 'cities'. Meaning despite overgrowth and plants everywhere you can tell they're still skyscrapers, streets, etc.

I've heard 'The Last of Us' is similar to this, so I'm looking into the remastered version, but what else might be out there?

Metro: Last Light and Wasteland 2 both feature this kind of landscape to an extend. Though with Wasteland 2, you have to finish the desert area before you can move onward.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Last of Us does do that, but I agree that it would be nice to see more stuff like that.

The STALKER series is a bit browner than those images, but still features quite a bit of nature reclaiming man-made stuff. It takes place in a fictional version of the Chernobyl exclusion zone and if you've ever seen photos from the real one (which were used as reference material for the game), they look a lot like the images you posted there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khy posted:

Give Enslaved: Odyssey to the West a look.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

khy posted:

Crysis 3 maybe?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

khy posted:

If memory serves, Enslaved took place in an overgrown city.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Tokyo Jungle, too

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The STALKER series

On this note, Survarium is the old STALKER team trying to make an MMO FPS, and features a "nature reclaiming cities" theme. It's only any good if you're looking for a deathmatchy kind of multiplayer shooter though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Enslaved: Odyssey to the West a look.

This. It's a 3D action/platformer, so you spend a lot of time jumping around the scenery, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

On this note, Survarium is the old STALKER team trying to make an MMO FPS, and features a "nature reclaiming cities" theme. It's only any good if you're looking for a deathmatchy kind of multiplayer shooter though.

Yeah I was thinking of mentioning that too but I still have no idea how far off the free roam mode is, and multiplayer deathmatch doesn't really give you the kind of pacing you need to actually explore/Appreciate the world design.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Since enslaved is on steam I'll add it to my wishlist and hope for a sale. It looks really good, thank you all for the recommendations!

Same with Crysis 3; I have 1 and 2 but lost interest in the series a while back. Hopefully the steam sales start soon and I can add to my ever growing backlog of games I have but never play.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hey goons, what is currently the 'best' MoO style space 4x game currently on the market that is relatively modern (within past 3 years).

I have played MoO (I, II, III), SotS 1.

Must have reasonably interesting tactical combat with warship design. The MoO reboot has me salivating and I was wondering if there is a concensus best pick in the meantime

khy
Aug 15, 2005

MikeC posted:

Hey goons, what is currently the 'best' MoO style space 4x game currently on the market that is relatively modern (within past 3 years).

Must have reasonably interesting tactical combat with warship design. The MoO reboot has me salivating and I was wondering if there is a concensus best pick in the meantime

Have you ever tried the Galactic Civilizations games? I'm not sure if they're 'best' but they might be enjoyable for you... I know there's been some ridiculously nice looking custom-created warships with the in-game ship editor.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MikeC posted:

Some ones you can look into are Star Ruler 2 and Galactic Civilizations 3. I like Distant Worlds: Universe but it's a little older than the past 3 years (and it looks like butt but is probably the deepest and most complex 4x game ever made).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is GalCiv3's tech tree still 8 billion minute variations on rock-paper-scissors weapon and armor techs?