Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice job stophillarypac

KILLED IN AMBASSADORIAL ACTION IN LYBIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't get to watch the debate, but holy poo poo Jim Webb killed a guy?!

Vietnam vet

He can't iterate that enough,

apparently.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Now, now he just said the guy who shot him isn't around anymore. Maybe that guy died peacefully in his sleep a couple months ago.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

But what I got from Bernie's answer of "I was a young man then. I'm not so young anymore" was that he had been a conscientious objector, but with age had grown to believe that sometimes war is actually necessary.

I thought it was an "I'm old and bald" joke.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

If mlpmlmp is the same poster I think and was reading in the debate thread, he faults exactly that, to him the legal definition of a conscientious objector is a really serious thing and he's very offended by someone misrepresenting themselves as one.

This. It's also got a bad history from the Vietnam era of being a thing educated whites did much more effectively than poor minorities.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
hot take on the debate courtesy of local news

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

mlmp08 posted:

This. It's also got a bad history from the Vietnam era of being a thing educated whites did much more effectively than poor minorities.

That and just something that old dudes have been doing once they no longer needed to fight themselves for much of recorded history.

(Although young dudes itching for a fight to gain social status against the advice of established older dudes has also been a historical dynamic; it cuts both ways depending on the social dynamics).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Nice job stophillarypac

KILLED IN AMBASSADORIAL ACTION IN LYBIA

That screenshot makes him look like Voldemort

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

mlmp08 posted:

Or wealthy minorities, see: Muhammad Ali, a Muslim whose religion forbade war getting sent to prison and told his conscientious objectorship was BS, called Cassius Clay repeatedly, and was only saved by the supreme Court at the last minute because one of the justices changed his mind and convinced the others.

But I'm just guessing the young liberal Jew idealist probably actually was a pacifist at the time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ali is such a badass.

quote:

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years.”

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

greatn posted:

Or wealthy minorities, see: Muhammad Ali, a Muslim whose religion forbade war getting sent to prison and told his conscientious objectorship was BS, called Cassius Clay repeatedly, and was only saved by the supreme Court at the last minute because one of the justices changed his mind and convinced the others.

But I'm just guessing the young liberal Jew idealist probably actually was a pacifist at the time.

To be fair, a professional fighter is a tough sell as a pacifist.

(Realtalk, he was an athletic fighter, which is very different, and of course there was massive racism involved.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

Yeah but being a pacifist and conscientious objector are two different things. I can't know but I would hazard a guess that even college Bernie was supportive of going to war with Hitler, if not many of the methods of WW2.

Basically claiming conscientious objector status erroneously is the same as the numerous Americans who claimed mental/physical ailments falsely to avoid service.

He's no Romney, though, that's a special and particularly evil kind of fygm.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just a reminder Ali is a loving serious bad rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeFMyrWlZ68

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 14, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
In the spirit of the Magic thread, the game's only certified pacifist creature:

Karn is a pacifist, but evidently is pro-drone?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ali was super badass. I also don't believe he really fit the definition of a conscientious objector, but he wasn't running for president so meh?

Hypothetically a dedicated conscientious objector wouldn't take up arms even in defense of their homeland by a patently evil invading force. Those opposed to a particular war do not qualify as conscientious objectors under UCMJ. Just War Theory invalidates conscientious objector status.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fade5 posted:

In addition to the horror show discussed above, Chafee was an unwitting part of the best part of the debate: after Anderson Cooper brought up Hillary's email thing, Bernie went in defense of Clinton and said "enough with the drat emails", and then Chafee went charging on ahead with the emails anyway, and set himself up for Hillary to put his head on a loving pike with one single word:

Anderson Cooper: "Secretary Clinton do you want to respond?"

Hillary Clinton: "No.":vince:

In video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5JTQLdPLA
Part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f06slMOBfMg
Part two

Awww, Jesse Jackson was there :3:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

mlmp08 posted:

Ali was super badass. I also don't believe he really fit the definition of a conscientious objector, but he wasn't running for president so meh?

Hypothetically a dedicated conscientious objector wouldn't take up arms even in defense of their homeland by a patently evil invading force. Those opposed to a particular war do not qualify as conscientious objectors under UCMJ. Just War Theory invalidates conscientious objector status.

I seem to recall hearing of someone who claimed that status, but was denied when he admitted he'd use violence in self-defense. Maybe it was in The Good War by Studs Terkel?

Incidentally, my maternal grandfather was a conscientious objector, but served by building bridges :canada: My paternal grandfather wasn't, but was an experienced pilot who trained RAF fighters, also almost made me never happen by pulling a Dubya and crashing a plane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Conscientious objector doesn't mean " Complete Pacisifist". I don't think you should use the term interchangeably with pacificist. Also it's most with things like the draft. I may not go fight a war in a foreign nation but if a enemy force invaded my country I would defend it. That's perfectly still in line with Conscientious Objector.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fits my needs posted:

I am excited to see what the Sanderistas will do when Bernie loses.

Vote Trump in protest, obviously!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wasn't just online polls -- the focus groups afterwards also had Bernie as clear winner.

Hahah, that's a really funny sentence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Donald Trump wins the Republican primaries I will vote for him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

If Donald Trump wins the Republican primaries I will vote for him.

Out of spite?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Conscientious objector doesn't mean " Complete Pacisifist". I don't think you should use the term interchangeably with pacificist. Also it's most with things like the draft. I may not go fight a war in a foreign nation but if a enemy force invaded my country I would defend it. That's perfectly still in line with Conscientious Objector.

Not in the USA.

Go read the legal definition. It's very specific and limited in scope.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 14, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wasn't just online polls -- the focus groups afterwards also had Bernie as clear winner.

Though yeah he did do badly on the foreign policy side. He had high highs and low lows.

Pundits said HRC was yer winner.

Really we're going to have to wait to see the polling.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

As near as I can tell, Bernie was too old to have been in the Vietnam draft lotteries anyway. He was born in 41.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

As near as I can tell, Bernie was too old to have been in the Vietnam draft lotteries anyway. He was born in 41.

Please don't disrupt the jingoism.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rygar201 posted:

The draft didn't simply pop into being when they switched methods to the lotteries. It was in effect prior to that. It's not like those fighting in 65 or 67 were an all volunteer force.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dammit I guess the days not over but doesn't look like Paul Ryan is announcing he'll take the Speaker role today.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well come to think of it the only person who said he was a conscientious objector was Webb. Maybe he was for Korea?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

My old man was born in 38 and drafted in 59, he spent 2 years in nowheresville, Texas. Not something to strenuously avoid, but certainly an inconvenience for anyone wanting to get started on a career or a family or something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
All the online polls I can find say that Bernie won. Yesssss :getin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sullat posted:

My old man was born in 38 and drafted in 59, he spent 2 years in nowheresville, Texas. Not something to strenuously avoid, but certainly an inconvenience for anyone wanting to get started on a career or a family or something.

It's been a recurring theme that a lot of posters think the draft existed for like two years and that's it during Vietnam. It's really weird.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i cannot believe that bernie is being slandered for draft dodging an immoral boondoggle of a war that killed tons of americans for no good reason

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really don't get why everyone said Hillary did so well at the debate. I mean she didn't mess up, but I still don't get a sense from her that she is campaigning on any other platform than "I served my time, make me president drat it." At least that's the sense I get from her. I'll hold my nose and vote for her when she wins, but nothing in that debate made we want to vote for her other than the -D at the end of her name.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've heard people pissed at draft dodgers because selfishly they caused someone else to go in their place and not make that final leap that MAYBE sending people there was the real evil.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Eimi posted:

I really don't get why everyone said Hillary did so well at the debate. I mean she didn't mess up, but I still don't get a sense from her that she is campaigning on any other platform than "I served my time, make me president drat it." At least that's the sense I get from her. I'll hold my nose and vote for her when she wins, but nothing in that debate made we want to vote for her other than the -D at the end of her name.

her statements during that debate actually moved me from cautious about her to hating her. a vote for hillary in the primary is a vote for 4 more years of the same neoliberal bullshit that has our country in a terrible position right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Condiv posted:

her statements during that debate actually moved me from cautious about her to hating her. a vote for hillary in the primary is a vote for 4 more years of the same neoliberal bullshit that has our country in a terrible position right now.

Which neoliberal policies are those?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Radish posted:

I've heard people pissed at draft dodgers because selfishly they caused someone else to go in their place and not make that final leap that MAYBE sending people there was the real evil.

p much. i view vietnam vets as victims of a cynical and brutal government. i cannot fault people for trying to find a way out of that meatgrinder

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zoux posted:

Which neoliberal policies are those?

continuing the goddamn patriot act for one, throwing snowden in jail for uncovering the NSA's BS for two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Condiv posted:

continuing the goddamn patriot act for one, throwing snowden in jail for uncovering the NSA's BS for two

My god you've found the source of the countries problems! (neither of those have anything to do with neoliberalism)

• Locked thread