Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
*puts lantern in window* it begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

paragon1 posted:

I mean I'm not, but it really isn't good to assume mean things about strangers!

I could not agree more, I am however inferring that jrod is a shithead from his posts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wasn't one of the Ayn Rand heroes a pirate who sunk foreign aid shipments?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nessus posted:

A blogger made a quip about charity and Rand, implying that she wouldn't approve of his donating, and then a crapload of randroids swooped on his facebook post correcting him that Rand was a massive contributor to charitable causes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i stopped reading this trainwreck of a thread a few pages in, but has any lolbertarian in the history of mankind offered an explanation as to why "having absolutely no property rights at all is a bad idea" means "property rights above all"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If the authoritarians thread taught me anything, 'true believers' try to keep their real world view secret.
That bullshit debate points is just the polite facade to lure you in.

E: The thread I refer to:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 14, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Probably! She did have the hots for that one serial killer.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nessus posted:

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlas_Shrugged_characters#Ragnar_Danneskj.C3.B6ld

That "aid" was stolen at gunpoint from the captains of industry, he simply launders it into gold bars for its original owners. He is the real Robin Hood, see, because the Sheriff of Nottingham was the State, and...

Google image search turns up some cool poo poo!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

Probably! She did have the hots for that one serial killer.

She also loved cheating on her husband repeatedly right in front of him. She claimed they had an open relationship, but when her husband started seeing someone else she went nuts on him.

http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/60120/index1.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 14, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There's a few things that are interesting about old Ragnar. One is that his introduction is a telling silence: Rand never spares the reader a gigantic treatise on every one of her heroes' perspectives, but Ragnar's is shuffled by awkwardly in a paragraph or two, with the implication that the other Gulchers are not really comfortable with his methods. The other time this happens is when Galt tries to talk about how family bonds can be reconciled with his radical individualist ideology, and just sorta mumbles something about a sort of contractual-like bond, then later has some lady say that she could only be a good mother in the Gulch for reasons. Libertarianism in general is horrible at dealing with the facts of human reproduction and the family, but Ragnar reflects how convoluted its supposedly clear line on violence is.

The other is that Rand is insistent that the only things government-funded science is good for is inventing new weapons and methods of destruction. So it's kind of interesting to think about how a single former philosophy student (!) can take on the worlds' navies with one ship, given how his closest pal is apparently a super-genius scientist inventor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

The other is that Rand is insistent that the only things government-funded science is good for is inventing new weapons and methods of destruction. So it's kind of interesting to think about how a single former philosophy student (!) can take on the worlds' navies with one ship, given how his closest pal is apparently a super-genius scientist inventor.

Apparently the Gulch is Area 51 and they have alien technology. I always loved how deus ex machina it was, pulling unbelievable technology and energy systems out of thin air and then proclaiming it a product of the genius of the objectivist movement.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently the Gulch is Area 51 and they have alien technology. I always loved how deus ex machina it was, pulling unbelievable technology and energy systems out of thin air and then proclaiming it a product of the genius of the objectivist movement.

It's easy to forget sometimes that it's basically pulp scifi with free energy engines, cloaking devices, magic wonder-metals, and earthquake makers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

She also loved cheating on her husband repeatedly right in front of him. She claimed they had an open relationship, but when her husband started seeing someone else she went nuts on him.

wasnt her husband schtuppin someone good-looking too

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Glad she died.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

Glad she died.

On welfare!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

A model, Ayn demanded that he be impotent for the rest of his life.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Nonsense posted:

A blogger made a quip about charity and Rand, implying that she wouldn't approve of his donating, and then a crapload of randroids swooped on his facebook post correcting him that Rand was a massive contributor to charitable causes.

Do they ever say which charities?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jrodefeld posted:

Do you accept the principle that people ought to have the final say in the use of their physical bodies so long as they don't harm others?

What about people who might hurt themselves? Are you against involuntary commitment?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Do they ever say which charities?

No, he asked and they retorted that what kind of monster demands that charitable donations be identified when it was clear she donated anonymously because she is humble unlike George Clooney!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

What about people who might hurt themselves? Are you against involuntary commitment?

I don't see why he wouldn't be. I kind of am myself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Oh hey that reminded me: http://eviltwincomics.tumblr.com/post/72771087448/action-philosopher-ayn-rand-from-action

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SedanChair posted:

I don't see why he wouldn't be. I kind of am myself.

It's an uncomfortable idea, but I don't think the idea of someone truly being unwell enough to be trusted to make a decision in their own best interest is really beyond the pale.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Seriously thinking about a new av.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Literally The Worst posted:

CommieGIR posted:

I hate myself for knowing this, but her husband never hosed anyone else. It was her younger already-married protegee/lover who, fifteen or so years after he and Ayn broke it off, started dating a hot model on the DL while Ayn was trying to convince him to start up their old affair.

This was of course an unforgiveable sin on his part because your sexual desires should be totally integrated with your intellectual and philosophical values, which means a good Objectivist would want to sex up Ayn Rand's unthoroughly-washed geriatric body all the time. The better Objectivist you are, the bigger the harem you're allowed to have and the more exclusive your subordinate Objectivist fucktoys have to be to you, since Ayn Rand is the best Objectivist...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm beginning to think that Ayn rand was kinda hypocritical :v:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

God dammit JRod get back here and say something stupid so people stop posting about Ayn Rand having sex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nolanar posted:

God dammit JRod get back here and say something stupid so people stop posting about Ayn Rand having sex.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Caros posted:

I am very confused.

Splittist!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Also, while Rand frequently describes bad female characters as being frumpy and unfashionable, she actually committed a lot of fashion faux-pas:

Ayn Rand Fun Fact #75 posted:

Marcella Rabwin, Rand’s next-door neighbor in the 1930’s, remembers her this way: “[She dressed] like a dowd. She was the worst-dressed woman I have ever known in my life.”

Ayn Rand Fun Fact # 61 posted:

Rand’s favorite fragrance was Edwardian Bouquet by the perfume house Floris of London. Olfactory scholars Lucca Turin and Tania Sanchez describe the scent thusly: “On paper, this handsome chypre has a classic galbanum profile: fresh, bitter green, slightly musky. On skin, it turns peculiarly and distinctly urinous with curdled milk smell, and would invite speculations on one’s continence.”

Also, a weird thing about Ayn Rand and her clothes:

Norah Ephron, "Fountainhead Revisited" posted:

Ayn Rand is not easy to write about - and not just because she doesn’t cooperate. One example will suffice. When I was interviewing her editor Ed Kuhn he told me that she was furious because an article in Life magazine had described her as wearing a tricornered hat and a cape.

“She has never worn a tricornered hat and a cape,” said Kuhn.

“I don’t know about the cape,” I told him, “but Hiram Haydn, who used to be her editor, told me that whenever he met her for lunch, she wore a tricornered hat.”

“Oh,” said Kuhn. “Well, it must have been the cape that bothered her.”

I went home to my bookshelf, where Miss Rand’s works were in temporary residence, pulled out a recent paperback of hers, and there on the cover was a picture of her wearing a cape.

I decided not to bother Kuhn with the information. It would just have confused him.

Remember, a rational person never makes mistakes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's also worth noting that the guy kept drilling her far longer than he wanted to. Like he just didn't want to anymore but kept doing it because he knew what would happen. When he finally did quit she destroyed everything they had built together, ended his career, and deliberately turned him into a nobody.

I could be wrong but that isn't something that a person endeavoring to create a rational, just society should be doing. She was literally holding his career hostage for sex and ended it when he turned off the sex faucet.

She also made her husband wear a bell so she could hear him coming if he was writing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
All this talk about homesteading Ayn Rand is nice and all...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also worth noting that the guy kept drilling her far longer than he wanted to. Like he just didn't want to anymore but kept doing it because he knew what would happen. When he finally did quit she destroyed everything they had built together, ended his career, and deliberately turned him into a nobody.

I could be wrong but that isn't something that a person endeavoring to create a rational, just society should be doing. She was literally holding his career hostage for sex and ended it when he turned off the sex faucet.

She also made her husband wear a bell so she could hear him coming if he was writing.

I don't think he really wanted to to begin with.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Sex can be sold as a commodity, discuss Ayn Rand in terms of marginal utility.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Someone help me out. I know there is a joke about time preferences here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ufff keep going, I'm almost there

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Here's Francisco D'Anconia's long-rear end speech about sex from Atlas Shrugged, which articulates Rand's theory of sexual attraction. Basically, sex and sexual attraction is a reflection of what one values most - if you reject Objectivist values, you're doomed to seek an unsatisfying relationship with "a brainless slut ... from the gutter," but a proper egoist will hold out for "the highest type of woman he can find, the woman he admires, the strongest, the hardest to conquer — because only the possession of a heroine will give him the sense of an achievement." And because Rand was, in her own, estimation, the greatest genius to ever live, I can imagine that she considered herself a great heroine. That's a big part of why she got so mad at Nathaniel Branden when he slept with another woman - how could he claim to value reason above all else and not choose a great reasoner?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Sex and property rights just makes things so unsexy, and opens up some very strange doors.

Let us never walk through those doors. Because basically, sex gets reduced down to fluid exchange between two adult humans who are looking to exchange fluids, and trust me, nobody will go to bed with you if you ask them to exchange fluids with you.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Caros posted:

Its a long story that you can find in the libertarian thread, but the short answer is that I had a very good friend who lived in the US who found out she had cancer. Considering her age and the stage at which it was discovered her survival rate with treatment was something like 95% over five years, 90% over 10 years and so on. It was the type of cancer you get better from. The problem is that she lived in the US and wasn't wealthy.

As a Canadian I'd taken my healthcare for granted and never really looked at the US system. I'd just figured up to that point that if we got rid of our UHC we could just take the money I spent in taxes on that and use it to pay for the care I'd need just like the US does. This instance however was eye opening. She found out she was sick, but simply couldn't pay. She received some treatment as she scraped together funds through charity projects but it wasn't enough to pay for what she needed and I had to watch a good friend of mine waste away from a preventable disease. If she were in Canada she would have received treatment almost immediately (in fact it would have been discovered sooner since she wouldn't have been worried about paying for a checkup) and I'd probably still have my friend here today.

Once I came to realize that private medical care was disgustingly immoral and inefficient it wasn't hard to make the jump to realizing that maybe having certain things as public goods is not a bad idea after all.

Edit: Incidentally to the discussion above, I've been pondering doing a let's read of Atlas Shrugged for laughs for a while now as a warm up exercise before I start work on a given day. Would anyone be interested in reading that?

What qualifies as a abstract or vague assertion? We know that prior to the introduction of Europeans to North America the land was owned in its entirety by native americans. While it is impossible (due to genocide and the passage of time) to determine who specifically is descended from the tribe that might have owned this particular spot it seems to me remarkably simple to figure out who has Native American heritage and who does not. Since most modern people can agree that the entire conquest of North America was essentially one giant theft it seems remarkably simple to say that we should all get the gently caress out and let them sort out the property rights amongst themselves.

And before I go on lets be clear about the bolded part. What you're talking about is impossible. Even you would agree (I should hope) that trading freely with someone who doesn't understand the concept of what is being traded is impossible. This is a fundamental aspect of our current contract law, that a contract simply cannot be valid if it is not properly understood by one side. Likewise a total lack of consideration on one side (say... trading the island of manhattan for $700 worth of beads) is also valid grounds for getting rid of a contract.

Native American groups by and large didn't make any sorts of fair trades for land. They made trades they didn't understand for things that were utterly worthless by comparison to what they were giving up and in many cases these trades were made under duress of being killed by disease or straight up genocide.

Even if you exclude all that, do you think it would be fair to say the US should give up on large sections of land in the deep south?

The dark green lands are lands that were treaty signed as tribal land that were then stolen outright from native americans as part of a forced relocation that killed thousands. There is absolutely no question that this was theft and we know exactly which tribes the land was stolen from.

Lets suppose a group of people, say... white men, systematically murder you and everyone like you while stealing up your land for themselves. Jrodefeld you're making our point for us here, the land was stolen and every single person living in north america is party to the theft and genocide of native american peoples. I know that is hard to accept as truth but it is. The difference is that we don't have a social and economic system that says that if something is provably taken by force that it must be returned, we have a society that acknowledges the lovely things that it has done but that also realizes it is incredibly impractical to reverse them at this point in time.

If you are sticking by your morality instead of trying to worm your way out on a technicality you have to admit that Native Americans should have a claim to some or all of North America.

Assumes facts not found in evidence. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't read my post before you wrote this, but you might want to seriously consider going to do that before you post anymore because I've already talked about this with you. As I discussed earlier, property owned by the state is only legitimate if we accept your premise that homesteading is the way property rights should be developed, something no one in this thread has acquiesced as fact. Until such time that you have people agreeing on the subject it might behoove you to stop stating such things as fact and instead couch your statements in more vague language such as "I believe" so that you don't come off as quite so pompous and insufferable.

Incidentally your arguments that individuals need to meet the burden of proof to claim their property rights is yet another example of how your view of property rights is specifically designed as one that exists to be most advantageous to you. Native Americans had their own view of property rights, one that was largely communal in nature, and one that was inconsistent with the property rights as viewed by europeans. What you are doing here is framing the argument in such a way that you know it will be impossible for them to provide evidence that they were stolen from, despite the blatantly well understood fact that native americans were stolen from.

No one in this thread, even you I would hope, is going to seriously argue that the Native Americans weren't systematically robbed and largely exterminated in the European conquest of North America. By putting the burden of proof at a level that amounts to "Well do you have a deed for the land?" You are setting a bar that is impossible for Native Americans with their alternate view of property rights to meet. To circle back to Mongol Based Economics, this is like a Russian Prince going to the Kublai Khan a generation after his father's death and saying "Well we know that Subutai raped and pillaged our land for a number of years, could we have that back?" Its not like they have a reciept, and even if they did the two peoples have vastly different views on property rights and it is absurd to expect them to have common ground on that front.

Or you could... you know, give it back to the Native Americans who were clearly and unashamedly robbed of their land.

Also just going to reiterate this in case anyone missed Jack of Heart's post on the issue. The factory owners aren't the ones working the factory you loving weirdo.

In the first place, as I'm sure you are now aware, the "factories to the factory owners" phrase was a typo and I meant to write "factories to the factory workers". Given the context of the quote, and the fact that I mentioned its relationship to Marxist rhetoric, you probably could have assumed that it was a typo.

Syndicalism is a second best option for returning public property to private ownership. In the absence of proof of who held the original just property claims, the closest standard by which individuals could be considered to have homesteaded the land are the government employees and/or individual contractors who worked on the lands. Assuming the original homesteaders or their descendants cannot be found, dividing the land up among the individuals who worked on the lands is a second best option.

Some public lands might be simply made open to individual homesteading. That is, the State declares the lands unowned and announces a date by which individuals can travel and homestead the land by building homes, farms, etc. What the State should NOT be permitted to do in my view is to sell the land or to choose arbitrarily which people to grant property titles to. If the State cannot legitimately own property, then they cannot legitimately sell that which they don't own.

Your objection to the homesteading principle vis a vis the Native Americans strikes me as odd. There is no question that early European settlers disregarded any legitimate property rights of the native peoples, repeatedly broke treaties they signed with them and proceeded to wipe out vast numbers in a genocide while herding the rest of them onto State appointed reservations as if they were livestock, dehumanizing them.

The narrative you are bending over backwards to create is that the homestead principle is some elitist European idea that was designed to allow white people to colonize and steal land and resources from darker skinned people.

The genocide of the American Indians ran contrary to every tenet of Enlightenment-Era liberalism and Natural Rights Theory. The legacy of white supremacy and patriarchy unfortunately carried over into the new world, despite the pretty words written into the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

You are wrong to believe that Native Americans had no concept of private property or that it wasn't possible to reasonably respect the rights that they did have.

There is one thing that is clear though. Not even the most liberal and generous notion of property rights conceivable would grant the American Indians exclusive control over the entire continent of North America. Yet this seems to be what you are implying. Are you suggesting that European settlers had no right to step onto the beaches of Plymouth, Massachusetts because they were trespassing on the property of the native peoples?!

Let's suppose that the American Indians did have either a concept of private property that granted them "ownership" over the entire continent or they didn't recognize private property rights at all. Stipulating that this is true, I would say that they had an incorrect understanding of property rights, which we are not bound to respect.

However, the crucial point that must be made is that the early European colonists indeed DID steal an enormous amount of land from the native peoples according to libertarian property rights theory and, more fundamentally, the theory of Natural Rights and the non-aggression principle.

Superior ideas should win out. And I contend that the first user principle of original appropriation is the only coherent theory of private property rights that exists.

None of us can undo the atrocities committed by people in the past. The best we can do is provide a consistent theoretical framework for understanding what constitutes just property and which constitutes stolen property. This of course means that some of us will be the unfair beneficiaries of past theft that cannot be proven or completely overturned. There isn't any perfect solution to this problem no matter what ideology you subscribe to.

Some past land theft can be proven. Whether it is to provide reparations to descendants of black slaves or descendants of Native Americans who were murdered, libertarian justice would compel us to provide restitution for past damages if sufficient evidence is provided.

It is patently unfair to criticize libertarianism for not having a perfect solution to a difficult problem when no competing ideology has any better of a solution.

Is it any more "just" to take money ad hoc from white people, whether they or their ancestors had anything to do with slavery and give it to black people, whether or not their ancestors were enslaved? Furthermore, is it "just" to kick tons of European-Americans out of their homes and give them to descendants of Native Americans even if there is not the slightest evidence that the redistributed property belonged to their ancestors?

The best we can hope to do is reallocate stolen goods and property to their rightful owners, to the extent that it can be proven, and sustain a coherent system of property rights based on original appropriation into the future. The further into the future we get with genuine equality of rights and property rights based on libertarian theory, the less important property theft in the distant past will matter.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for entering into a contract with me, Jrod.

jrodefeld posted:

In the first place, as I'm sure you are now aware, the "factories to the factory owners" phrase was a typo and I meant to write "factories to the factory workers". Given the context of the quote, and the fact that I mentioned its relationship to Marxist rhetoric, you probably could have assumed that it was a typo.

Syndicalism is a second best option for returning public property to private ownership. In the absence of proof of who held the original just property claims, the closest standard by which individuals could be considered to have homesteaded the land are the government employees and/or individual contractors who worked on the lands. Assuming the original homesteaders or their descendants cannot be found, dividing the land up among the individuals who worked on the lands is a second best option.

Some public lands might be simply made open to individual homesteading. That is, the State declares the lands unowned and announces a date by which individuals can travel and homestead the land by building homes, farms, etc. What the State should NOT be permitted to do in my view is to sell the land or to choose arbitrarily which people to grant property titles to. If the State cannot legitimately own property, then they cannot legitimately sell that which they don't own.

Your objection to the homesteading principle vis a vis the Native Americans strikes me as odd. There is no question that early European settlers disregarded any legitimate property rights of the native peoples, repeatedly broke treaties they signed with them and proceeded to wipe out vast numbers in a genocide while herding the rest of them onto State appointed reservations as if they were livestock, dehumanizing them.

The narrative you are bending over backwards to create is that the homestead principle is some elitist European idea that was designed to allow white people to colonize and steal land and resources from darker skinned people.

The genocide of the American Indians ran contrary to every tenet of Enlightenment-Era liberalism and Natural Rights Theory. The legacy of white supremacy and patriarchy unfortunately carried over into the new world, despite the pretty words written into the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

You are wrong to believe that Native Americans had no concept of private property or that it wasn't possible to reasonably respect the rights that they did have.

There is one thing that is clear though. Not even the most liberal and generous notion of property rights conceivable would grant the American Indians exclusive control over the entire continent of North America. Yet this seems to be what you are implying. Are you suggesting that European settlers had no right to step onto the beaches of Plymouth, Massachusetts because they were trespassing on the property of the native peoples?!

Let's suppose that the American Indians did have either a concept of private property that granted them "ownership" over the entire continent or they didn't recognize private property rights at all. Stipulating that this is true, I would say that they had an incorrect understanding of property rights, which we are not bound to respect.

However, the crucial point that must be made is that the early European colonists indeed DID steal an enormous amount of land from the native peoples according to libertarian property rights theory and, more fundamentally, the theory of Natural Rights and the non-aggression principle.

Superior ideas should win out. And I contend that the first user principle of original appropriation is the only coherent theory of private property rights that exists.

None of us can undo the atrocities committed by people in the past. The best we can do is provide a consistent theoretical framework for understanding what constitutes just property and which constitutes stolen property. This of course means that some of us will be the unfair beneficiaries of past theft that cannot be proven or completely overturned. There isn't any perfect solution to this problem no matter what ideology you subscribe to.

Some past land theft can be proven. Whether it is to provide reparations to descendants of black slaves or descendants of Native Americans who were murdered, libertarian justice would compel us to provide restitution for past damages if sufficient evidence is provided.

It is patently unfair to criticize libertarianism for not having a perfect solution to a difficult problem when no competing ideology has any better of a solution.

Is it any more "just" to take money ad hoc from white people, whether they or their ancestors had anything to do with slavery and give it to black people, whether or not their ancestors were enslaved? Furthermore, is it "just" to kick tons of European-Americans out of their homes and give them to descendants of Native Americans even if there is not the slightest evidence that the redistributed property belonged to their ancestors?

The best we can hope to do is reallocate stolen goods and property to their rightful owners, to the extent that it can be proven, and sustain a coherent system of property rights based on original appropriation into the future. The further into the future we get with genuine equality of rights and property rights based on libertarian theory, the less important property theft in the distant past will matter.

So you believe Native Americans have a claim to some of North America, and that the descendants of slaves are due reparations, right? Except you keep falling back on the question of "proof" for things you admit happened. What kind of proof are you talking about here? Would genealogical evidence that a person is descended from a slave be sufficient proof to entitle them to reparations? How about a treaty signed with a Native American tribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

jrodefeld posted:

Some public lands might be simply made open to individual homesteading. That is, the State declares the lands unowned and announces a date by which individuals can travel and homestead the land by building homes, farms, etc.

That sounds hilarious and I now want a reality show where a bunch of libertarians rush to build lovely houses as quickly as possible and try to come up with other schemes to homestead as much land as possible.

• Locked thread