Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

The new TPS systems don't have in-wheel sensors. :science:

So how do they work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

PCOS Bill posted:

So how do they work?

They go off wheel speed sensors. And really nothing that new, just making its way from fancy cars to your average cars now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yup, uses the wheel speed sensors (aka: ABS sensors).

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

Non car people are just so bad at cars it is staggering.

Non-car people are more concerned about the status that having a certain brand or badge offers. I owned an old Lexus LS400 back in 2007. Just saying the words "I have a Lexus" got people oohing and ahhing, regardless of how old and scuffed up it was.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

So how do they work?

I'm assuming just like magnets.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Non-car people are more concerned about the status that having a certain brand or badge offers. I owned an old Lexus LS400 back in 2007. Just saying the words "I have a Lexus" got people oohing and ahhing, regardless of how old and scuffed up it was.

We had an intern at my last job who showed up in a beat to poo poo e36. Every single person in the office judge the poo poo out of her for having "a BMW" while still a college student with no regard for the fact that it was probably the cheapest car in the parking lot by four figures.
They also couldn't believe a car guy would own a station wagon. . . .

Ozz81 posted:

Same here, slide a dime/penny in, twist and pop open, and they run on the CR2032 batteries forever. Plus it's nice not having the stupid TPM sensors that people complain about, I just watch my tires and check periodically if any look low, no annoying, expensive sensor to replace.
If your tire looks low to the naked eye, you've been running around 10-20psi low for weeks.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

If your tire looks low to the naked eye, you've been running around 10-20psi low for weeks.

My Cherokee's tires look low when they're 5psi overinflated.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

1500quidporsche posted:

I've never seen a Tesla go round a corner come to think of it.

Some fool in a Tesla S recently launched himself into my neighbor's tree a couple months ago. It was probably the fastest 0-70 and back to 0 that a Tesla has ever done.

http://imgur.com/a/4yHA4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

coltron4040 posted:

Some fool in a Tesla S recently launched himself into my neighbor's tree a couple months ago. It was probably the fastest 0-70 and back to 0 that a Tesla has ever done.

http://imgur.com/a/4yHA4

If he was indeed going close to 70 when he hit that tree then I'm impressed at what decent a shape that car is still in. Passenger compartment looks untouched. I like how there's no skidmarks on the grass.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Imagined posted:

If he was indeed going close to 70 when he hit that tree then I'm impressed at what decent a shape that car is still in. Passenger compartment looks untouched. I like how there's no skidmarks on the grass.

I am pretty sure he hopped the curb right into the tree, never even has a chance to break.

The yellow car was his starting point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

nm posted:

I've seen this notion too and it's infuriating. These people, of course, all drive lifted wagons masquerading as crossovers/"small SUVs"...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

david_a posted:

I've seen this notion too and it's infuriating. These people, of course, all drive lifted minivans without useful doors masquerading as crossovers/"small SUVs"...

fixed

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

Non car people are just so bad at cars it is staggering.

I encounter a lot of people who don't know what a Miata is. I thought it was a fairly well known car but it's apparently an impractical exotic.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I encounter a lot of people who don't know what a Miata is. I thought it was a fairly well known car but it's apparently an impractical exotic.

Nobody knows the name Miata over here, it's called a Mazda MX-5

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr4Y838Lg1w

Best car review of terrible car stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

"Structural rigidity of an earthworm" :laugh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The thing's so loving huge to be so tiny inside. I never knew it was $47k though... Ridiculous.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nm posted:

We had an intern at my last job who showed up in a beat to poo poo e36. Every single person in the office judge the poo poo out of her for having "a BMW" while still a college student with no regard for the fact that it was probably the cheapest car in the parking lot by four figures.

Not necessarily, I do a quick look around my car and the most they've been low is 5-7 PSI - that's when I check all tires, inflate properly, then make an appointment to have the tires checked for leaks. Plus TPM sensors have potential to be unreliable, I got to sit at a local Firestone and listen to a guy drone on about how a couple sensors in his brand new Challenger kept going off even when the tires were all properly inflated. Sensors had to be replaced and it wasn't exactly cheap from what he said, meanwhile I got an oil change and patched tire for under $40 after tax.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The "2 SXY" license plate really sells it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

88h88 posted:

The thing's so loving huge to be so tiny inside. I never knew it was $47k though... Ridiculous.

You could buy a rural congressional seat for that!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Scruff McGruff posted:

You could buy a rural congressional seat for that!

I'll take the manatee.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

Fourty Seven Thousand One Hundred and Ninety.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Oh but I'm afraid he did.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

background: cayenne and panamera headlights can be removed basically just by pulling on them. the HIDs make really good grow-op lights. i guess they get stolen enough times, you just give up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to ask "but who the gently caress would own a Cayenne and 'fix' it like that" until I noticed the plate.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

nm posted:

I'll take the crab juice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to ask "but who the gently caress would own a Cayenne and 'fix' it like that" until I noticed the plate.

Old Cayennes are almost valueless these days - I see plenty of tatty ones and am no where near Russia

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

Old Cayennes are almost valueless these days - I see plenty of tatty ones and am no where near Russia

If ~$20k for a 2004 is valueless to you, can I borrow $20k?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PCOS Bill posted:

I mean I have sorry credit and four thousand for a down and places were throwing cars at that range at me for OK payment (for a million months), so its not out of reach by a long shot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean I have sorry credit and four thousand for a down and places were throwing cars at that range at me for OK payment (for a million months), so its not out of reach by a long shot.

I'm just saying, $20k for an 11 year old car is hardly valueless.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

$20k?
http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_25578997?prx=250&orup=2_10_20
Try half that.
In Canadian dollars.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cool, the first one that came up near me was $20k, it's almost like things are different in different places.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PCOS Bill posted:

They're way cheaper than that here - I can see a decent looking turbo for $13k USD which is way cheaper than you'd find a similar age LandCruiser or similar

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

"Structural rigidity of an earthworm" :laugh:

Funniest thing he said at any point in the video.

And it isn't even that funny.

The truly hilarious thing was the amount of rattling and headshake inside this ~~luxury convertible suv~~

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

dissss posted:

They're way cheaper than that here - I can see a decent looking turbo for $13k USD which is way cheaper than you'd find a similar age LandCruiser or similar

The crucial difference being that the LC is a well designed vehicle and the first gen Cayenne is a broken Toureg based maintenance hog that the dealerships don't even want to touch. Nevermind how many of them have been relentlessly beat on with 150k+ miles and four drug dealing previous owners. That's why you don't see a lot of them anymore. Kinda like E38s.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MortLansky posted:

The crucial difference being that the LC is a well designed vehicle and the first gen Cayenne is a broken Toureg based maintenance hog that the dealerships don't even want to touch.

You say this as if any subsequent versions are somehow less maintenance intensive or poorly designed or not made by VAG.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What's with the VAG hate never has there been a more honest and pure corporation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fyodor posted:

What's with the VAG hate never has there been a more honest and pure corporation.

Well that's a very low bar to jump.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

That, and even at half that most $10k cars don't get the "bondo and sealed beams" treatment from their owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Is a ///m 235i a real thing or was it another douchenozzle trying to act hard?