Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh, well then! Sounds exciting, I'm looking forward to it. Hope it makes its goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah, I'll be backing that. Should make 700K pretty easily but stretch goals might be questionable.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The idea of being Jason and being able to grapple people to do some nasty poo poo to them sounds so awesome. Also it'll be using Amnesia's fear system by the sounds of it, like if you can't keep your fears under control you'll start seeing strange stuff.

Also Kane Hodder is going to be involved!

BillBear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 13, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I'm hoping they'll be able to work on the single player mode. It's a shame when good games are unable to be played due to a lack of a multiplayer community.

Edit: Randy Greenback looks like the most stereotypical goon, it's uncanny.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 13, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jason better have a teleport ability that's active so long as he isn't in someone's cone of sight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Jason better have a teleport ability that's active so long as he isn't in someone's cone of sight.

I don't know about outright free teleportation (since that could break the game), but maybe give him access to secret passageways or set destination teleporters (like a "Go from Room A to Room B and back again") that he can use when out of sight. So he can't just cheat and teleport right behind you for a kill, but he can reach your destination faster than you if he's in the right area or mysteriously disappear when being pursued.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know about outright free teleportation (since that could break the game), but maybe give him access to secret passageways or set destination teleporters (like a "Go from Room A to Room B and back again") that he can use when out of sight. So he can't just cheat and teleport right behind you for a kill, but he can reach your destination faster than you if he's in the right area or mysteriously disappear when being pursued.

I don't really know how you'd effectively pull off his ability to jump around but I do think it should be theoretically tied to line of sight. Maybe not a teleport, but you never see Jason run in the movies so maybe he gets a speed boost if he's hidden.

e: Yeah, if they're doing a sanity effect then it could be like Jason moves at a default speed but if you "project" your aura of menace then it's the trademark lumbering, creepy walk.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GulagDolls posted:

speaking of PC98, I just got around to playing Peret Em Heru It's a pretty neat free spooky RPG about exploring the great pyramid of giza. I really like the puzzles and art. I feel like the RPG elements probably weren't necessary, but except for one instance, I really like all the puzzles in the game.

There's some spooky surreal stuff but I feel like the ending jumps the shark. It was unique, at least.

I like this game quite a bit. :) I didn't mind the RPG elements either as being able to switch who you're taking with you and having them gain new abilities as they level up makes it seem slightly less obvious how each character is going to die horribly for their sins if you don't look around or interact with the right stuff. But the art and music are really nice and it's cool to see two people turn out a full polished game for it so close to the computer's death.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I am super psyched beyond probably reasonable expectations for a straight up Jason Voorhees simulator MP game. If we're not getting hype for machete murdering each other when it comes out, I'll be a little disappointed. :v:

Also Tom Savini is my dude and his name being in something is an immediate plus. We better have some fantastic fatality poo poo coming out of his book.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 14, 2015

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
I don't think the pitch sounds overambitious, but I do suspect people are going to project their every hope and dream on the game and then be inevitably disappointed by it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

InShaneee posted:

I don't think the pitch sounds overambitious, but I do suspect people are going to project their every hope and dream on the game and then be inevitably disappointed by it.

This is basically every game

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like Binding of Isaac except for the people who made it and the aesthetic. By that logic, I should love Our Darker Purpose. It just controls like crap. :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

InShaneee posted:

I guess at the end of the day if it's better than Evolve they're doing well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bogart posted:

I like Binding of Isaac except for the people who made it and the aesthetic. By that logic, I should love Our Darker Purpose. It just controls like crap. :negative:

What's wrong with the people who made it?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition

13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition

I've got a great idea. Let's run around in a house rendered in the cheapest CAD program we can find, clicking on silhouette letters in between poorly-executed jumpscares. Who's with me?

Even if you aren't, the developers of The Emptiness are, and they even pose it as some kind of insightful rumination on depression. Seriously, the game opens with a warning about disturbing content in a delightfully Hot Topic font, and then launches into a diatribe about the nature of depression. The Poser-modeled house in which you find your sad-brained self is a sort of purgatory, as the FMV demon and angel explain. I want to pay these two special recognition, because they look like family members of the dev team, and I swear to God the devil is wearing a brown Snuggie.

You navigate the static rooms by clicking on the arrows linking your views, which allow for multiple vantages on the same scene. This is in no way a good thing, because your goal for most of the game is to click on hidden letters in the scenery that are only visible from a single point. So, if there's a Q blending into the wallpaper, you might only be able to click on it from the middle of the room, and not from the doorway that has almost the same field of view. These letters form "spells" that undo the seals on the doors around the house, granting you access to such key locations as the bathroom. The scenes actually get less detailed as you progress, with fewer points to examine and forcing more backtracking.

Aside from some absolutely banal minigames in between seals, I've just described the extent of the gameplay. Once or twice per spell you may find an item you have to use to get a letter, but more natural puzzles like that are extremely rare. What breaks up the monotony between clicks are the bargain-basement jumpscares sprinkled all over. Be ready for hands popping out of paintings, screaming faces on TV, bleeding walls, and more programmer kin making faces and lunging at you. My favorite is the portly, balding fellow in the black sweatsuit who explodes out of the kitchen wall Kool-Aid Man-style if you click on a Post-It with a rune on it.

The Emptiness is ugly, obtuse, and boring. If you make a living screaming at bad horror games on YouTube it might give you something to work with, but as far as enjoyment goes, it's running on empty.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Park: A Single-Player, Psychological Horror Experience Set in The Secret World Universe - this comes out Oct. 27th. Not much info on what it actually is, but the strongest part of The Secret World was its locations and the atmosphere and lore attached to them. That Halloween-town place you start out in was almost worth the price of admission.

So this may be that, but without the bland, stilted MMO components?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Polygon ran a feature about the new Friday the 13th game, as I found out from its new podcast this morning. It sounds, well, pretty good. Teleporting Jason, horror movie cliches, a serial killer than can track blood and fear.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PSA, Fatal Frame 5 is out on the 22nd for Wii U.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Does anyone know if Fatal Frame 5 is any good? I loved the first two but something just felt off about the third one. I've been waiting on 5 with cautious optimism. Using the Wii U pad as the camera sounds great in theory.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SkeletonHero posted:

Does anyone know if Fatal Frame 5 is any good? I loved the first two but something just felt off about the third one. I've been waiting on 5 with cautious optimism. Using the Wii U pad as the camera sounds great in theory.

From what I've heard it's still quite good, but not as good as the series' best efforts. It sounds like it's definitely still worth picking up, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Park: A Single-Player, Psychological Horror Experience Set in The Secret World Universe - this comes out Oct. 27th. Not much info on what it actually is, but the strongest part of The Secret World was its locations and the atmosphere and lore attached to them. That Halloween-town place you start out in was almost worth the price of admission.

Its certainly something slightly different in that you're a mother looking for her kid. And its kind of interesting that they outright tell you that this game should take an hour or two at most so maybe they're very confident in delivering their "experience". But the Secret World in general would be better as single player horror ventures or RPGs so hopefully the Park lets the franchise grow into something better than a wasted MMO idea.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 14, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

I found 3 to be okay, certainly the worst of the three but not too bad, but 4 was just...eh. Story was lackluster, didn't care for the characters, and the final boss fight had a piano-playing segment that was more challenging than the boss itself.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I enjoyed FF 3 since it connected all these previous plot threads and stories into a nightmarish dream world. The dream mansion's unrealistic setup really worked for me and the house intermissions were a good way to get in subtle scares and show how even the waking world was getting overtaken with the horror (kinda like the first half of Silent Hill 4 before the ceiling fan breaks). But yeah, 4 was ummmm an odd direction for the series to take and the inclusion of forced motion control nonsense was annoying (also the upgrade system became unnecessarily tedious to deal with in regards to the different crystals). The story was fine though; nothing amazing and a bit bloated with sub-plots (cause I guess they felt since 3 had so many plots and characters then 4 needed the same?), but it wasn't horrible.

The game definitely could have also had less boob physics and creepy outfits, but that only got worse when they re-did Fatal Frame 2 for the Wii and gave the 14 year old girls boob jiggle and micro bikinis.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, never look at bonus costumes for female characters in a Japanese game, down that road lies madness.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Man, never look at bonus costumes for female characters in a Japanese game, down that road lies madness.
Well FF 1 was relatively fine, it was just a few kimonos or mild changes of color (though I think the X-Box port added some Dead or Alive costume). Then FF 2 got a little bit worse with ummmm mild bondage outfits or gothic lolita poo poo. But then FF 3 just went with more generic otaku trope stuff like cat ears and glasses....then we got FF 4 with Zero Suit Samus and man, things went super bad. Honestly that was the thing that made me roll my eyes at FF 5; the fact that the big selling gimmick was water and anime babes that were constantly wet. Good job, Tecmo, at forever being skeezy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
does the token male character get to be wet too?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm wondering if it's going to tie into TSW's history with the park, or just smooth it over for the sake of telling a different story. I mean if you know the history of the park - that it was created and financed alongside some weird magical rituals, deliberately causing accidents and fatalities so the owner could siphon ~souls~ and get immortality - the ultimate fate of the kid might be a foregone conclusion, ha.

Admittedly the strength of that story is somewhat lost with the way I describe it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

this is where the immersion comes in and you, the player, can get yourself wet

Anyway, Friday the 13th game sounds just delightful, and I'm hoping for a whole selection of sleeping bag-related murder moves.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh poo poo, a single player version of the Secret World? It seems like it could be such a great game if it wasn't trapped in a lovely MMO.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh poo poo, a single player version of the Secret World? It seems like it could be such a great game if it wasn't trapped in a lovely MMO.

It doesn't look like it's "a version" of the Secret World it's just set in that universe for some reason. From the looks of it they really could've just cut this game loose from TSW because it doesn't seem to be remotely similar to Secret World, gameplay-wise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is there something wrong with Gothic Lolita. Should I feel bad for enjoying the clothing style of Gothic Lolita?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are there Japanese horror.movies where the girl is in a gothic Lolita costume

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

is there something wrong with Gothic Lolita. Should I feel bad for enjoying the clothing style of Gothic Lolita?
Nah, there's nothing necessarily bad with it; it's just one of those bizarre Japanese fashion styles I don't understand and consider it to be a bit of a niche. Like ummm ganguro?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Are there Japanese horror.movies where the girl is in a gothic Lolita costume
Of course: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1666700/

Tired Moritz posted:

Sadly even if that dude got wet, he'd never be as hunky as the detective from FF 4:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition

14. Clandestinity of Elsie

(Store page pics again, Steam overlay really hates RPG Maker games.)

Yes, it turns out that really is a word, referring to something kept or done in secret. Clandestinity of Elsie is an RPG Maker game hacked into a something resembling Silent Hill 2, pitting you as an unstable World War II veteran against a mess of creepy crawlies standing between you and your missing wife. The design is classic survival horror, meting out just enough bullets and medkits to keep you rolling to the inevitable conclusion. There are a few clever additions as well, such as using sound to lure enemies out and adrenaline doses to let you move faster.

None of this really gets around the fact that this is an RPG Maker game kit-bashed into something that is not an RPG. Don't get me wrong, I love RPG Maker and there's nothing stopping good games from being made with it. But it's not designed for action, and so the combat becomes my chief complaint about Clandestinity. Your dude scoots around the gridlike maps in a sticky, unresponsive way, which makes evading the far swifter enemies impossible. You have to draw your gun before firing and there are long delays between shots, so if a basic foe gets the drop on you, it's guaranteed to get two or three hits on you. Early on the enemies are sparse enough to sneak around and take out smartly, but by the back half of the game they form a veritable gauntlet of crappy shooting.

The level design is my other issue with the game, and I feel the only thing I REALLY need to say here is that there are two sewer levels. They're the two longest areas in the game as well, and are bookended by a sewage plant and a warehouse using the same tileset. The other locales are functional but leave little exploration or interaction to fill the void. Most of the game is lacking in scares as well, despite the competent atmosphere and creepy enemies. In fact, almost all the horror hinges on the loud musical cues when enemies spot you, which lose all effectiveness by the damnable sewer levels that run you face-first into foes from around blind corners.

As for the story, well, there's a reason I brought up Silent Hill 2 early on. I know everyone has a horror boner that's lasted way longer than 4 hours for that joint, but the indie crowd really needs to let it go. I'm at the point where horror games that are all in the protagonist's head feel like they're cheating me, discarding any sort of world-building for an easy it-was-all-a-dream-esque handwave. You need serious writing chops to make imaginary monsters work, and Clandestinity falls far short with a disjointed story almost completely divested from the events of the game. It's an interesting experiment, and it might make you jump a few times, but the secret kept here just isn't worth it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

King Vidiot posted:

It doesn't look like it's "a version" of the Secret World it's just set in that universe for some reason. From the looks of it they really could've just cut this game loose from TSW because it doesn't seem to be remotely similar to Secret World, gameplay-wise.

They might be trying to draw in whatever good will they had from TSW. For what it is worth I remember the exact park they are referencing from my time playing through the single player portion and thinking how creepy it was, so I guess it had some impact on me.

Actually I remember way more of TSW than I do of any other MMO, at least in terms of quest zone. What a waste of a perfectly good setting.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WatermelonGun posted:

this is where the immersion comes in and you, the player, can get yourself wet

Anyway, Friday the 13th game sounds just delightful, and I'm hoping for a whole selection of sleeping bag-related murder moves.

My big wish is skins. Give me all the Jasons. Bag, human hulk, New Blood Zombie, Uber.

e: squinting through the stretch goals, old school skin pack and sleeping bag kills are both on there.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So... I just finished Albino Lullaby: Episode One last night, because I had been curious about it and no one seemed to be talking about it either way, so I took the plunge. (It's only 10 dollars anyway...)

It's... strange, but not unrewarding, all in all. Like others in this thread I was attracted by the prospect of a horror experience without gore, and I suppose it does deliver there; I'm a sucker for a good atmosphere, and an atmosphere was created. The art design of the world and the impossible ways it seemed to change were really good, and the soundtrack was pretty good too. However, I'm also a sucker for story and narrative, and while I can respect something that tries to tell whats going on through written notes and the odd things the monsters say, it wasn't very coherent. And speaking of the monsters, well... they're faces. With grungy teeth and yellow eyes, but that's it. That's what you interact with on the regular, which might not be sufficient with some folks. It also ends abruptly, which stands to reason, being one episode of three, and I didn't find it scary, just... off-putting and odd. But on the other hand, it is pretty unique, so while it wasn't transcendent like SOMA was, I don't feel my money was wasted either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

weekly font posted:

My big wish is skins. Give me all the Jasons. Bag, human hulk, New Blood Zombie, Uber.

e: squinting through the stretch goals, old school skin pack and sleeping bag kills are both on there.

A mode where you play as Pamela Voorhees?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I want to see a mode where one counselor is the killer and only they know who they are, and the other players have to figure it out. It'd basically be Trouble in Terrorist Town but at Camp Crystal Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

resurgam40 posted:

So... I just finished Albino Lullaby: Episode One last night, because I had been curious about it and no one seemed to be talking about it either way, so I took the plunge.

I watched this a few weeks ago and feel it's the best horror game in terms of being spooky and creepy in a long while. Soma did nothing for me (protagonist soured for me quick) and I lost interest, whereas I actually give a poo poo about Albino Lullaby's weird world of the "worms." I enjoyed all the unspoken disturbing bits about the world's culture; the story made me repulsed while still feeling a bit sympathetic for the few monsters who actually run from you in fear, as well as the ones you accidentally kill in the chapel in attempts to escape the mansion. I'm looking forward to episode 2 and hope the weirdness keeps going and avoids any extreme, unneeded ramping up.

Someone mentioned Markiplier playing Soma like an idiot. I have a feeling that's more for his channel persona's benefit than his personal ability.