Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Sorced posted:

It helps that france got its entire starting army exiled on the british isles.

This was pretty glorious though I have no idea how it even happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh my goodness I thought the Ottomans were the easy option but Austria/Hungary keeps ramming down my doors shortly after I take Constantinople. If I take Greece all the backwoods countries come out of the woodwork and gank me with a coalition.

What ideas/early strats should I use so I can at least paint Europe green by 1800s? Or, as a new player of 30 hours should I keep my goals lower?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Obliterati posted:

Just noting that Paradox have started up their MP stream again, showing off new features for the coming expansion. All looking pretty good!

Plus lots of wars. Particularly chuffed to see an England that doesn't just give up on the Continent.

People play England passively, sitting on their island and giving up on the continent, while England is actually far better played aggressively.

Obliterati posted:

This was pretty glorious though I have no idea how it even happened.

The short of it: Me and Burgundy had a deal to divide France, but he backstabbed me and came at me with France instead. When I realized what was coming, I allied every AI that would say yes, including Scotland. Scotland allying me caused them to break their alliance with France, so that when France declared war his troops in Scotland were all exiled. Even if he hadn't been exiled, me + Scotland + the irish minors had about 65k troops in the british isles vs France's 40k, so not sure that would have ended great for him regardless.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of exiled armies, I'd like to see AI exiled armies teleport home or disband if they've been exiled for more than a year. I've seen AI armies exiled for decades in certain situations (Portugal failing to invade my Aztecs for example) and it's got to be devastating to their chances of winning wars.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Speaking of exiled armies, I'd like to see AI exiled armies teleport home or disband if they've been exiled for more than a year. I've seen AI armies exiled for decades in certain situations (Portugal failing to invade my Aztecs for example) and it's got to be devastating to their chances of winning wars.

I've seen colonial nation troops get exiled on Corsica/Sardinia before and literally never leave, so yeah something should be worked out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'd like it if you could change it so only armies on the same continent as my DoW target's capital are exiled. Having my troops in the HRE that are moving to occupy some lovely OPM exiled because I declared war on Ming is stupid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Avocados posted:

Oh my goodness I thought the Ottomans were the easy option but Austria/Hungary keeps ramming down my doors shortly after I take Constantinople. If I take Greece all the backwoods countries come out of the woodwork and gank me with a coalition.

What ideas/early strats should I use so I can at least paint Europe green by 1800s? Or, as a new player of 30 hours should I keep my goals lower?

The real key to the Ottomans is rotating between European, African, and Asian conquests. If you push to far into Europe too quickly, you'll get hella coalitions against you. For ideas, pick ones that play to your strengths, like Humanism, Administrative, Quality, or Quantity.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd like to try my first game as the Papal States. I haven't really done any EU4 so any tips or hints would be wicked.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

I'd like to try my first game as the Papal States. I haven't really done any EU4 so any tips or hints would be wicked.

They're in kind of a tricky diplomatic and geographic situation at the start. France often rivals you and your options for expansion are against Venice (Austria likely to help you but France will probably ally Venice heh), Aragon/Naples, or into the HRE.

I would ally Austria and join the HRE so you can attack the other HRE Italian states more easily.

Papal State has good NIs and some excellent modifiers from events, it's a bit of a thunderdome start though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pellisworth posted:

They're in kind of a tricky diplomatic and geographic situation at the start. France often rivals you

Giving them someone else Avignon usually helps with this.

E:

Don't give France anything, seriously!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2015

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I suggest looking for a way to expand outside of Italy too, go after Ragusa or maybe Venice if they manage to get beaten on early. Take some land that will allow you to go after the Balkans or if Aragon gets in trouble you can steal their islands and go after North Africa. If you focus only on Italy early on you will run into a lot of coalitions that will be tough to deal with as a new player.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Help! My ironman Prussia save game just disappeared completely! I was playing fine this morning, saved it, then came back this afternoon and it was gone! Gone I say! I was saving in the cloud save file this whole time, so I can't go through my disk drive or anything like that. Any ideas?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You're clicking on the button to look at your cloud saves, rather than your local ones, right? Is Steam actually connected?

If the answer to both of those is "Yes", then I have bad and good news for you. Bad news is it's no longer good for any achievements. Good news is it probably still exists: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-to-find-your-savegames.877037/

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

You're clicking on the button to look at your cloud saves, rather than your local ones, right? Is Steam actually connected?

If the answer to both of those is "Yes", then I have bad and good news for you. Bad news is it's no longer good for any achievements. Good news is it probably still exists: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-to-find-your-savegames.877037/

I "don't have permission to view this page." Probably has to do with what product keys I've tied my Paradox account to, or something like that, right?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Try and check your Steam\userdata\<user id>\236850\remote\save games to see if your local copy of the steam cloud saves are still there.

e: If they are you can copy them to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/save games/

Sorced fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 14, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

I "don't have permission to view this page." Probably has to do with what product keys I've tied my Paradox account to, or something like that, right?

Yah, that links to the bug reports forum, which you need to register your game to see.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

The real key to the Ottomans is rotating between European, African, and Asian conquests. If you push to far into Europe too quickly, you'll get hella coalitions against you. For ideas, pick ones that play to your strengths, like Humanism, Administrative, Quality, or Quantity.

Taking the Balkans can happen later, after you've conquered India and Africa (~1550 or so)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Is there a decision to form the Ottoman Empire the way there is to reform France or Austria if you are the primary culture and the tag no longer exists?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Sorced posted:

Try and check your Steam\userdata\<user id>\236850\remote\save games to see if your local copy of the steam cloud saves are still there.

e: If they are you can copy them to Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/save games/

Well, I found the save, but somehow it is 0KB. Must have gotten corrupted? That's a thing computer people say, right? Oh well, RIP Prussia, I was looking forward to that Great Britain/Spain/Denmark/Prussia vs Austria/Ottomans/Poland/Lithuania league war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Is there a decision to form the Ottoman Empire the way there is to reform France or Austria if you are the primary culture and the tag no longer exists?

Pretty sure yes

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Smiling Knight posted:

Well, I found the save, but somehow it is 0KB. Must have gotten corrupted? That's a thing computer people say, right? Oh well, RIP Prussia, I was looking forward to that Great Britain/Spain/Denmark/Prussia vs Austria/Ottomans/Poland/Lithuania league war.

Let me take this moment to mention again that local iron-man saves are the way to go. They are still eligible for achievements, and they auto-save faster in my experience. I used to have corrupted save issues all the time because of my sketchy satellite internet connection, but everything has been fine since I switched to local.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Never seen this before but the nation of Livonia seems to have popped up in my game. Not Livonian Order - just Livonia. Is this new or just rare?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh my god how do I get Lithuania/Hungary to stop wrecking my Muscovy? They always go for me out of conquest even when I try playing nice with them :saddowns:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Avocados posted:

Oh my god how do I get Lithuania/Hungary to stop wrecking my Muscovy? They always go for me out of conquest even when I try playing nice with them :saddowns:

I dunno. Usually the human wall that surrounds Muscovy is enough to deter PLC from attacking you. Make whatever allies you can I guess. Beat up the hordes. Get bigger and bigger and bigger.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Avocados posted:

Build a bigger army.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
On that note how much of a peacetime standing army should I have, as a general guideline? Is there a form of deterrence against the AI when I have a large army enlisted? Or should peace-time be as minimal as possible? I try going for the latter to help raise funds but I'm not exactly sure what the best route to take is. As Muscovy im sitting on 40k manpower.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Never seen this before but the nation of Livonia seems to have popped up in my game. Not Livonian Order - just Livonia. Is this new or just rare?

I had this happen too. Must be new

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Avocados posted:

On that note how much of a peacetime standing army should I have, as a general guideline? Is there a form of deterrence against the AI when I have a large army enlisted? Or should peace-time be as minimal as possible? I try going for the latter to help raise funds but I'm not exactly sure what the best route to take is. As Muscovy im sitting on 40k manpower.

In general, and if you can afford it, build all the way to your force limit. You can find that in the military tab of your country management.

Large armies are a deterrent indeed. You can see it also as a diplomatic modifier if you offer an alliance.

You can always reduce army maintenance in the economy tab if it's too expensive, but you will need several months to recover morale once you set it high again. Also reinforcement speed is much slower.

Mercenaries are more expensive but don't use manpower.

Also, I think, your max manpower is not affected by the size of your army. So having all your people in an army allows the manpower to recover.

40k is a nice amount in the early game, but not particularly large. There is an ironman achievement for 1 million reserve.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I finally got a good Russia game going, and I have a question: I have annexed a few Circasian territories and I want to release Circassia as a vassal to have a neat buffer between me and Ottomans while I conquer the Caucasus, but for some reason it says that Circassia will be Shia even after I converted all the relevant provinces. Any idea why? :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

I guess I'm way too conservative with armies. I'll dial back to my 5-years-before-being-curbstomped autosave and build a lot more.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Average Bear posted:

I had this happen too. Must be new

Seems to have been added in 1.13, along with Sapmi, Karelia, Estonia, and Picardie.

OperaMouse posted:

Also, I think, your max manpower is not affected by the size of your army. So having all your people in an army allows the manpower to recover.

This (and the rest of your post) is correct.

I'd also note that, especially early on, it can be useful to try to use mercenary infantry in place of regulars; this helps conserve manpower, which otherwise gets depleted very quickly. An advantage here is that you can raise mercenaries in days, and so don't have to keep them in peacetime.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's better to have an army at forcelimit with 0 maintenance than to have to recruit during war. Wartime recruiting hits your manpower just as hard as if you suffered casualties. I prefer to get as close to my force limit as I can afford, slightly cavalry-heavy, drop maintenance to 0, then when war is about to go down raise my maintenance and add 1/5 of my army's size in mercenary infantry.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fermun posted:

It's better to have an army at forcelimit with 0 maintenance than to have to recruit during war. Wartime recruiting hits your manpower just as hard as if you suffered casualties. I prefer to get as close to my force limit as I can afford, slightly cavalry-heavy, drop maintenance to 0, then when war is about to go down raise my maintenance and add 1/5 of my army's size in mercenary infantry.

this is perfectly reasonable. in general, the more aggressive/greedily expansionary you are, the more mercenaries you need; less aggressive players will have more time for manpower to recover.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

I guess I'm way too conservative with armies. I'll dial back to my 5-years-before-being-curbstomped autosave and build a lot more.

It depends on your income. I was having a lot of trouble getting anywhere near the force cap starting out as Castille/Spain, but once I got into colonization my income skyrocketed and I've been keep both my army and navy at the force cap no problem. If you're having trouble affording it, try picking up an income boosting idea first rather than going into military ones.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

New EU4 Dev Diary, about the natives in uncolonised provinces and protectorates. Nothing major but next dev diary is going to be about "diplomatic feedback" so we'll get a look at what's being done there.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm going to wrap up my Italy game tonight, sadly I didn't manage to recreate Rome but at least I annexed Austria, Spain and France so I guess I win at Europe.

Now for my next game I am looking for a moderate difficulty start, possibly away from central / western Europe.. Muscovy?

Any ideas, tips or another fun start?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

YF-23 posted:

New EU4 Dev Diary, about the natives in uncolonised provinces and protectorates. Nothing major but next dev diary is going to be about "diplomatic feedback" so we'll get a look at what's being done there.
Isn't that native policy the same as you get in an event?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Poil posted:

Isn't that native policy the same as you get in an event?

I'm pretty sure the event choices have less significant effects, and you cannot change the policy you've chosen afterwards.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm happy to see "Concede Colonial Area" in there, that will be a nice change. I was hoping colonial wars might work like they did in Vicky, because there's still no options for limited war between two great powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finally a use for Protectorates. One war against Ming and you get a steamroller for all of Asia.

• Locked thread