Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGoatTrick posted:

The lens it comes with is thicker than the body even when collapsed and the Panasonic 20 mm pancake is so big that the camera won't sit flat on a table. I'm thinking of getting one of the Olympus body cap lenses for it; does anybody have experience with the 9 mm one vs. the 15 mm? The 9 mm is wider than anything I own right now so I'm leaning toward that, but not sure how well that focal length will work for a general use pocketable camera.

I have them both and liked the 15mm a little better, but they're both dirt cheap so there's no real reason you couldn't get both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TheGoatTrick posted:

Did you know? The Panasonic GM1 is the smallest camera that has ever been made in the universe.

I've been quite tempted by that lens.

Normally, I won't even look at anything slower than f2.8, but I can see the use for something like that on a sunny day outside. How do you find it?

alkanphel posted:

I used to recommend that combo to friends until the RX100 series came out.

OTOH, I am blown away at how good the images from this 'simple P&S' are. Without even thinking about taking them, they come out good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

Normally, I won't even look at anything slower than f2.8, but I can see the use for something like that on a sunny day outside. How do you find it?

OTOH, I am blown away at how good the images from this 'simple P&S' are. Without even thinking about taking them, they come out good.

My sister got a GF1 with that 12-32 kit lens. I would say it falls firmly in the category of "does the job". It's not great at all though. The Olympus 17mm 1.8 would fit that camera really well though.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Hi, just got a X-E2 w/XF18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS. I think a few people probably got this with the kit lens, what is it good at / what is it terible at? Anything I should know (about camera or lense)?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You have the kit lens right there and a lot of Fuji owners here kept theirs even after buying other lenses. It is good at everything but fast moving tracking, zooming in super close, and gobs of background blur. The first can't be fixed on any mirrorless camera I know of! The latter two can be fixed with other sublime Fuji lenses. The kit is sharp, flexible, cheap for what it is, and even has stabilization. It's worth keeping about if you ask me.

Tinker with the Film Simulation modes. Don't dismiss them as Instagram filters, they have their uses!

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 14, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Sony just announced the RX1R II. 42.2 MP full frame, $3,300

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7600509041/sony-announces-rx1r-ii-full-frame-compact-camera

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

[e] ^^ Full frame compact, now that is something else.

Yeah I recently got the same combo and the 'Kit' lens is wonderful. Its a great walkaround lens and of a quality not usually seen in kit lenses. The XC 16-50 however, urgh. For Fuji X system lenses the F are the high quality lenses and the C are the crappy ones.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 14, 2015

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Wow. Assuming the IQ is great, that's the next camera I'll own.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

spog posted:

It's one of the better micro 4/3 kit lenses. If you think something of that size (it's tiny on anything except a gm series camera) would be of use to you then you should get one. There's a very reasonably priced one in the buy/sell section of mu-43 forums right now.

Linedance is right about the Olympus 17 mm 1.8 being a great fit for the Gm1. As a bonus, pulling the focus ring to manual automatically brings up peaking. It doesn't even do that on Olympus's own cameras.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

TheGoatTrick posted:

In the mean time,

:getin:

I can play this tiny camera massive pro lens game. But, I am about 10mm larger in every dimension on body and lens, and the whole thing weighs twice as much (mostly lens).

edit: I had to break out the EOS M with the kit lens to take this photo at like f/5 and it took my brain like six shots to get a usable image after being spoiled by my pile of f/1.4 to f/2 primes, this is why I don't use slow zooms. ;_;

windex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 14, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

I can play this tiny camera massive pro lens game. But, I am about 10mm larger in every dimension on body and lens, and the whole thing weighs twice as much (mostly lens).

edit: I had to break out the EOS M with the kit lens to take this photo at like f/5 and it took my brain like six shots to get a usable image after being spoiled by my pile of f/1.4 to f/2 primes, this is why I don't use slow zooms. ;_;

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/media/2012/10/200-500setup.jpg

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

What is that monster?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Going by the URL, the Sigma 200-500 f/2.8

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

This is what happens when you try to carry more than a handful of primes in your bag. :mad:

It would've been funnier with a Lecia M Monochrom with EF adapter, honestly.

(Also, that lens is comical with a full frame body on it.)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

This is what happens when you try to carry more than a handful of primes in your bag. :mad:

It would've been funnier with a Lecia M Monochrom with EF adapter, honestly.

(Also, that lens is comical with a full frame body on it.)

Yeah, it's pretty much just as silly with a 1dx hanging off the back of it. But it definitely wins the giant lens on tiny body competition to have it on an eos m

That same article has a photo of roger handholding an 800/5.6 with the M on it also

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
And here I thought my A5100 was small ...

windex
Aug 2, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much just as silly with a 1dx hanging off the back of it. But it definitely wins the giant lens on tiny body competition to have it on an eos m

That same article has a photo of roger handholding an 800/5.6 with the M on it also

The EOS M10, which was released finally, is actually a little smaller. Also, pretty sure any camera attached to giant telescope photo would beat this, so hopefully the astrophotography nerds don't notice our thread derail.

FWIW, and more on topic: I mostly do street photography because I live in Tokyo, and most of it is low light after work, so the thought of either a slow zoom or a 200+ mm lens breaks my mind. But that Sigma 24mm is great for it. I haven't been able to find good poo poo to photograph for the two weeks I've owned it, but I've worked out the DOF at various distances and got some okay photos but nothing awesome like my inspired Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM break-in. :shobon:

Although it is really loving pretty:

http://photog.kthx.jp/p/japan/daiba/2015/10/9/half/IMG_1113.jpg

@ ISO100 f/1.4 1/8s (This photo came out awesome given both the beer glass and camera were handheld.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ahahahaha, this owns

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When you absolutely, positively want the Apache circling overhead to shoot you full of 30mm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There is no tripod though

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Amazing

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

This is... pretty rad. Looks like a comfy way to use a gigantor lens too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fukkn rules

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

odds of being shot by the police (even if white): 100%

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's a bullpup camera.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
And "Shots fired!" would be fairly accurate.

On a serious note. Is there a good combination of camera and lens for general entry level use, that results in something small and easy to take around? in the ~500 range? I'm not opposed to watching for used. Does seem I can get an Fuji x100 for just under 500 used.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

It's a bullpup camera.

holy poo poo it is, hahahaha

mes
Apr 28, 2006

A Ricoh GR would be a good contender, it's even smaller than the X100 and packs a APS-C sized sensor.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Golluk posted:

And "Shots fired!" would be fairly accurate.

On a serious note. Is there a good combination of camera and lens for general entry level use, that results in something small and easy to take around? in the ~500 range? I'm not opposed to watching for used. Does seem I can get an Fuji x100 for just under 500 used.

Most used mirrorless kits are under 500. X100s, Ricoh GR, XE1 plus kit, XA1, XM1 plus kit, 5R/5T/A5000/A6000 plus kit, also EM5, GM1 etc

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Graniteman posted:

odds of being shot by the police (even if white): 100%
I remember reading a news story about people calling the police about a guy pointing a rifle at cars from the sidewalk of a highway overpass, and it turned out he was using one of these: http://www.sharpshooterindustries.com/

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Crack posted:

Hi, just got a X-E2 w/XF18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS. I think a few people probably got this with the kit lens, what is it good at / what is it terible at? Anything I should know (about camera or lense)?

It's a really nice lens and body. I picked up the X-E1 and kit lens to get started on some photography, and it's been great. With hte kit, it's reasonably sized and very flexible. Paired with the 27mm pancake, the X-E1/X-E2 is a great camera to just toss in a bag to take everywhere, and your X-E2 does autofocus better than the X-E1 as well as having wireless capabilities. In terms of the lenses, when I know what kinds of things I'm shooting I'll use a prime, but if I'm just grabbing the camera to shoot pictures at a family event where I'll need both decently wide and a bit of reach, the kit lens is great for it's speed and flexibility.

The kit lens at its widest to do decent astrophotography. From this past weekend in Bandelier National Monument:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Linedance posted:

My sister got a GF1 with that 12-32 kit lens. I would say it falls firmly in the category of "does the job". It's not great at all though. The Olympus 17mm 1.8 would fit that camera really well though.

TheGoatTrick posted:

It's one of the better micro 4/3 kit lenses. If you think something of that size (it's tiny on anything except a gm series camera) would be of use to you then you should get one. There's a very reasonably priced one in the buy/sell section of mu-43 forums right now.

I may pick up one (there are people on ebay selling them broken out of kits for £120)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just traded my XF 10-24mm for an XF 18-55mm (plus cash) and holy poo poo it's good. I know people are super vocal about this lens already but this will live on one camera at weddings and I can swap fast primes on my other one as needed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wait, so you can't use time-lapse/long exposure mode on the A7 unless you put down money and download an app for the camera?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Just traded my XF 10-24mm for an XF 18-55mm (plus cash) and holy poo poo it's good. I know people are super vocal about this lens already but this will live on one camera at weddings and I can swap fast primes on my other one as needed.

I am seriously in love with the 18-55. How's the 10-24? I don't have a wide angle for my Fuji at the moment so i'm looking around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

change my name posted:

Wait, so you can't use time-lapse/long exposure mode on the A7 unless you put down money and download an app for the camera?
The time-lapse app was preinstalled on my A7II.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Saros posted:

I am seriously in love with the 18-55. How's the 10-24? I don't have a wide angle for my Fuji at the moment so i'm looking around.

The 10-24mm is amazing.... Unless you also have a 16mm f\1.4 then it sits on a shelf like mine. I really only use zooms for events so I just didn't need two expensive wide angles.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Today I scored a battery grip for my E-M5 Mk.I, the HLD-6, new and original, from a store, for just €50!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

change my name posted:

This Android app is an alternative free option