Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure where people are getting that sort of recommendation. Even the shelters usually say 6 months and make you sign a form agreeing to bring them back for the procedure if you adopt a puppy younger than that.

It stems from that self same cultural obligation that you're cheering, man. People take poo poo to extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i dunno after living in a country where everyone has intact dogs except in cases of medical problems like testicular/ovarian cancer that also somehow miraculously has such a low shelter population that rescues have to import foreign strays to meet with demands, i really just dont buy that the average dog owner is literally incapable of keeping intact dogs without it roaming or getting knocked up

maybe, just maybe shelters and vets presenting spay/neuter as the only option if you want to be a Good Dog Owner TM is partially responsible for the total lack of understanding regarding how to keep intact dogs

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It stems from that self same cultural obligation that you're cheering, man. People take poo poo to extremes.

seriously. the shelters here all do pediatric neutering, its hosed up as hell

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

After living in a country with mandatory spay/neuter of every animal that is not registered for breeding purposes, super heavy fines, sometimes jail time for neglect, forced registration of every animal, and all the stuff the HSUS would like to see and realizing that the shelters still look like this:

And they still euthanized trashcan full after trashcan full of dogs, cats, kittens and puppies every single week?

Spaying and neutering does not stop shelter overpopulation. Responsible pet ownership does. And just because you spay or neuter? Doesn't make you a responsible pet owner.

E: That's the Ozato Animal Control Station in Okinawa, Japan. Japan has some of the strictest policies in the world on dog and cat ownership, importation and all that poo poo. And their euth kennels still look like that, day in and day out, every year, every week, every day. There's strays loving everywhere, most of them spayed and neutered. Cats, dogs, even birds. Some of it is the fault of the military, but plenty is the fault of the locals too. Should you spay/neuter? Sure. There's lots of great reasons to spay/neuter. But spaying and neutering doesn't decline pet populations in shelters. It just means that they usually show up spayed and neutered.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 14, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dyna Soar posted:

Hey guys, I'm not getting a crate, period. It's not something we do here, never has been never will.

This can be fixed with training, no need for a crate or a pen (although I would def use a pen if it were an option right now).

Can we ban this person just from PI because they literally never loving listen or shut the gently caress up.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Can we ban this person just from PI because they literally never loving listen or shut the gently caress up.

Lots of people brought up crating as a solution and it's like, illegal here so uhh I'm not sure what else I could have responded. Also pretty funny how you think I should be banned but those couple of users who just shitposted the thread for a few pages are a-ok, hah.

That said, I think I've been mostly civil and contructive in helping others as well as asking for help.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 14, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^You never really explained why you can't use a pen. Unless you're living in some sort of tinyhome, you should have room for a small pen.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

After living in a country with mandatory spay/neuter of every animal that is not registered for breeding purposes, super heavy fines, sometimes jail time for neglect, forced registration of every animal, and all the stuff the HSUS would like to see and realizing that the shelters still look like this:

And they still euthanized trashcan full after trashcan full of dogs, cats, kittens and puppies every single week?

Spaying and neutering does not stop shelter overpopulation. Responsible pet ownership does. And just because you spay or neuter? Doesn't make you a responsible pet owner.

E: That's the Ozato Animal Control Station in Okinawa, Japan. Japan has some of the strictest policies in the world on dog and cat ownership, importation and all that poo poo. And their euth kennels still look like that, day in and day out, every year, every week, every day. There's strays loving everywhere, most of them spayed and neutered. Cats, dogs, even birds. Some of it is the fault of the military, but plenty is the fault of the locals too. Should you spay/neuter? Sure. There's lots of great reasons to spay/neuter. But spaying and neutering doesn't decline pet populations in shelters. It just means that they usually show up spayed and neutered.

Jesus, that's horrible.

I guess the reality is that the massive overpopulation comes from the handful of assholes who would willfully ignore required spaying/neutering and let their dogs run unsupervised anyway. I guess the "must spay" thing essentially boils down to "we have to do something!" because I'm at a loss as to how else you could deal with the number of dogs that are left in the streets to fend for themselves.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
We don't have strays here because the long and cold winter almost always kills them before spring. Some cats but next to no dogs.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

^^You never really explained why you can't use a pen. Unless you're living in some sort of tinyhome, you should have room for a small pen.

The pen thing is primarily my problem along with constantly talking poo poo after either asking for advice or discussing problems you are having. Ex pens aren't illegal nor are loving baby gates, but all by all means bitch about how the advice and suggestions you get are terrible and we're all mean or whatever. You don't know poo poo and are consistently rude as hell.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

Lots of people brought up crating as a solution and it's like, illegal here so uhh I'm not sure what else I could have responded. Also pretty funny how you think I should be banned but those couple of users who just shitposted the thread for a few pages are a-ok, hah.

That said, I think I've been mostly civil and contructive in helping others as well as asking for help.

and those of us who also raised puppies in countries where crating is illegal gave you plenty of other ways to deal with your puppy destructive tendencies only to be met with "thats not an option"

if you cant do something as simple as keeping your dog from destroying your poo poo, maybe you shouldnt be handing out advice

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

The pen thing is primarily my problem along with constantly talking poo poo after either asking for advice or discussing problems you are having. Ex pens aren't illegal nor are loving baby gates, but all means bitch about how the advice and suggestions you get are terrible and we're all mean or whatever. You don't know poo poo and are consistently rude as hell.

I don't really see why I'd need to explain why a particular solution isn't viable in my situation. I did end up getting a baby gate, though as I posted.

Also are you kidding me, I'm the rude one here? Do you actually read this goddamn thread at all? The people I was rude at were the ones who have been consistently doing nothing than making GBS threads up the thread or making fun of first time dog owners for being ignorant.

Triangulum posted:

and those of us who also raised puppies in countries where crating is illegal gave you plenty of other ways to deal with your puppy destructive tendencies only to be met with "thats not an option"

if you cant do something as simple as keeping your dog from destroying your poo poo, maybe you shouldnt be handing out advice

Uhh, I have stopped it now thank you with it, partly thanks to this thread. I've also raised a dog who's well behaved and am doing fine with our new one. Also I'd say if you can't actually give advice without first making fun of the person asking for a few pages maybe you shouldn't, either.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 14, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Triangulum posted:

"excuse me EX PENS are JUST NOT A POSSIBILITY", the foreign goon screamed while wading through rivers of destroyed items, "ALL OF THIS COST SO MUCH MONEY HOW CAN I KEEP THIS DOG FROM RUINING IT".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jesus, that's horrible.

I guess the reality is that the massive overpopulation comes from the handful of assholes who would willfully ignore required spaying/neutering and let their dogs run unsupervised anyway. I guess the "must spay" thing essentially boils down to "we have to do something!" because I'm at a loss as to how else you could deal with the number of dogs that are left in the streets to fend for themselves.

Germany vs Japan= dogs are really, really liked and people will do most anything to keep their pets vs "oh hey the dog got out again. Eh. I guess we can go get another one from Japan petsmart".

It isn't a population thing so much as it's really, sincerely, honestly, I swear to gently caress, a state of mind as to how important it is to take care of your animals. You literally see it around military bases all the time- people get rid of their animals as soon as they're told they have to move, so every year there's two giant population booms. If we could teach people how to deal with animals that are "problems" (ie: oh look the dog isn't potty trained at 4 months because you have no idea what you're doing) and make pets a priority instead of an accessory in this country, our shelters would dry up within a generation. Spayed or not spayed. Neutered or not neutered. Thank you and good night.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't really see why I'd need to explain why a particular solution isn't viable in my situation. I did end up getting a baby gate, though as I posted.

Also are you kidding me, I'm the rude one here? Do you actually read this goddamn thread at all? The people I was rude at were the ones who have been consistently doing nothing than making GBS threads up the thread or making fun of first time dog owners for being ignorant.

no i'm serious. telling someone who has lived in a country where crating is illegal (because apparently europeans can't loving figure out how to use crates in a way that doesn't encourage animal hoarding or puppy mills) that their alternative solutions d8dn't make sense while throwing a massive tanty was "wonderful". v. respectful.

i read this thread often enough to remember the other stupid poo poo you've come in here to bloviate on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

You are dumber than my dog's atrophied left testicle, dude. And I try very hard to keep my temper with you but you're just so loving painfully ignorant and assholish that I don't even care what your dog eats anymore. I just feel bad for having such a moron for an owner. We offered you multiple possibilities and crating may be not normal but who the poo poo is gonna call the cops on you.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I maybe could use a baby gate to shut him in the uhhhh vestibule? (google translate gave this word, basically small hall) but still i'm sure he'd be abled to gently caress something up if he wanted. We'll see.

you guys maybe missed this post, lol. It's been going really well!

But yeah, my problem was that my 1-year old dog, so not really a puppy one day decided to destroy a bunch of my stuff. He never did it before and hasn't now that I actually took advice from this thread and shut him in a room with nothing to destroy (well he did jump up and somehow managed to get a pair of gloves from a shelf nearly 2 meters high. How the gently caress did he do that?). How exactly am I being ignorant here?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 14, 2015

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

But yeah, my problem was that my 1-year old dog, so not really a puppy one day decided to destroy a bunch of my stuff. He never did it before and hasn't now that I actually took advice from this thread and shut him in a room with nothing to destroy. How exactly am I being ignorant here?

i'm glad it only took you a giant melt down to loving figure out exactly what like 5 people suggested you do was reasonable

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Truly, puppy ownership is serious business.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

Truly, puppy ownership is serious business.

if you've seen some of the stupid poo poo we've seen over the last 4-5 years you'd feel the same way

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i could maybe do something, maybe. it wont work tho

yeah i cant imagine why people didnt take that as actually attempting to rectify the problem

Dyna Soar posted:

we arent rude just because people are newbies. no ones jumped down extreme insertions throat because he actually considers advice given instead of acting like a huge pissbaby

people get rude when people like you come in, ignore all advice given, and then a few weeks/months later come in and cry that the totally predictable thing that everyone warned would happen happens (see: taking pit bulls to dog parks)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

i'm glad it only took you a giant melt down to loving figure out exactly what like 5 people suggested you do was reasonable

Actually only 1 suggested a baby gate, 1 a pen and the rest just said don't be an idiot crate your loving dog. Constructive advice there!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dyna Soar posted:

But yeah, my problem was that my 1-year old dog, so not really a puppy one day decided to destroy a bunch of my stuff. He never did it before and hasn't now that I actually took advice from this thread and shut him in a room with nothing to destroy (well he did jump up and somehow managed to get a pair of gloves from a shelf nearly 2 meters high. How the gently caress did he do that?). How exactly am I being ignorant here?

Because you never said you did that, and you never explained why a pen wasn't an option which meant people couldn't give you other suggestions that would fit your situation. Which makes it seem like you wanted to argue for no reason.

edit: And seriously, I came in as a potential pitbull disaster story, actually engaged in dialogue with everyone, and aside from a couple salty oldtimers everyone was reasonable and just wants to know about my cool rear end dog rather than shitpost at me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

people get rude when people like you come in, ignore all advice given, and then a few weeks/months later come in and cry that the totally predictable thing that everyone warned would happen happens (see: taking pit bulls to dog parks)

Have I actually done that though? I'm pretty sure I haven't. The only thing I asked advice for was that one thing and I acted on the first piece of advice that was feasible. But hey, I guess this is your little playground and you make the rules.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
no. crating, penning, baby gates, locking the dog in one dog proofed room, and probably a few other things im forgetting were suggested and you just started crying about ~americans~

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Actually only 1 suggested a baby gate, 1 a pen and the rest just said don't be an idiot crate your loving dog. Constructive advice there!

I guess you didn't figure out how not to be an idiot either.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
It's kinda amusing how all the users complaining to me are the ones with those tiny little pet island badges.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
you throw a fit anytime anyone gives you advice and its tedious as gently caress. if you refuse to listen or give anyone the information they need to tailor advice to your specific situation, :getout:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

It's kinda amusing how all the users complaining to me are the ones with those tiny little pet island badges.

yeah its like the regulars all agree youre a loving moron or something

weird.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I re-read the conversation and def all the advice I was given was either get a pen or a crate. As soon as the baby gate thing was suggested I posted that i'd try it.

I don't really see how I've been in the wrong here, but w/e. I'll keep on posting in this thread and ignore all the trolling I guess.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I re-read the conversation and def all the advice I was given was either get a pen or a crate. As soon as the baby gate thing was suggested I posted that i'd try it.

I don't really see how I've been in the wrong here, but w/e. I'll keep on posting in this thread and ignore all the trolling I guess.

yeah the regulars and people who actually know dick are just trolling. Is common sense illegal along with crating where ever the gently caress your from?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

yeah the regulars and people who actually know dick are just trolling. Is common sense illegal along with crating where ever the gently caress your from?

Oh get off your high horse. If getting advice from you guys means you have to let all kinds of snarky comments slide then I wouldn't say you're very good at giving advice.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
i bet there some sort of PI conspiracy to get you, thats why you get poo poo on and other newbie dog owners dont!!!!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Oh get off your high horse. If getting advice from you guys means you have to let all kinds of snarky comments slide then I wouldn't say you're very good at giving advice.

I'm sorry have you read most of this thread? People get plenty of good advice, but I guess because occasionally the tone isn't quite to your liking that means its wrong and bad. Do you realize how silly you sound? After all the poo poo you've said here? C'mon man.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

I'm sorry have you read most of this thread? People get plenty of good advice, but I guess because occasionally the tone isn't quite to your liking that means its wrong and bad. Do you realize how silly you sound? After all the poo poo you've said here? C'mon man.

Yeah and I guess you can't take it when someone posts back to you in a tone that's not quite to your liking. So people should get banned for being rude to a ~regular~user, lol.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
literally no one is saying that you should be banned for being rude you illiterate gently caress

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah and I guess you can't take it when someone posts back to you in a tone that's not quite to your liking. So people should get banned for being rude to a ~regular~user, lol.

I can take it just fine man, I'm on lunch break reading the forums. :unsmith:

And no, you just shouldn't be able to post here because your a dipshit who won't loving learn and shits up threads, not for being rude.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

You were presented with a number of valid options. You did not provide information about how you live somewhere that does not crates until later on. All you said was that it wasn't an option without clearly stating why. You were presented with an xpen as an option. Had you used your imagination, you would have come to the conclusion of using some sort of removable containment system to manage your dog. Had you an ounce of critical thinking skills, you would have come to the baby gate conclusion much sooner. Instead, you had to be spoonfed options and have a tantrum when the options presented weren't totally catered to you even though you had not provided us with all of the information.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

I can take it just fine man, I'm on lunch break reading the forums. :unsmith:

And no, you just shouldn't be able to post here because your a dipshit who won't loving learn and shits up threads, not for being rude.

I might be a dipshit but then again so is most of the users here, especially you regulars. I do learn and did learn, so I have no idea why you're saying that. I haven't poo poo up this thread until now when someone said I should be banned for poo poo I def did not do. So uhh what's your point here, exactly?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

No I just said you were goddamn dumb. There's shitloads of moron users. Fyad usually has threads about them (hi fyad).

Your lovely eat-everything untrained hellhound will probably eat a door out of that room or eat a wall. I look forward to that post.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your lovely eat-everything untrained hellhound will probably eat a door out of that room or eat a wall. I look forward to that post.

No need to talk poo poo about my dog though, he's a rescue pup who's only lived in a real home for 3 months :(

he's doing really well though, knows all the basic commands and we're working on his anxiety & fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Because you never said you did that, and you never explained why a pen wasn't an option which meant people couldn't give you other suggestions that would fit your situation. Which makes it seem like you wanted to argue for no reason.

edit: And seriously, I came in as a potential pitbull disaster story, actually engaged in dialogue with everyone, and aside from a couple salty oldtimers everyone was reasonable and just wants to know about my cool rear end dog rather than shitpost at me.

How's worf doing btw?