Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lmao im so glad we've moved on to the " its ok that my dog is naughty because hes a ~rescue~" stage thats my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

PartyCrown posted:

You were presented with a number of valid options. You did not provide information about how you live somewhere that does not crates until later on. All you said was that it wasn't an option without clearly stating why. You were presented with an xpen as an option. Had you used your imagination, you would have come to the conclusion of using some sort of removable containment system to manage your dog. Had you an ounce of critical thinking skills, you would have come to the baby gate conclusion much sooner. Instead, you had to be spoonfed options and have a tantrum when the options presented weren't totally catered to you even though you had not provided us with all of the information.

Yeah and I clearly said that most of the options aren't viable in my situation. If I say I can't have a dog pen in my house, maybe using those critical thinking skills people could have to the conclusion that I have no room for one. I did say I won't crate because it's illegal here.

Seriously, go and read the discussion. It's only a few pages back.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

lmao im so glad we've moved on to the " its ok that my dog is naughty because hes a ~rescue~" stage thats my favorite

Hah, not quite. He wasn't taught poo poo until he was 9 months old and we adopted him, so naturally he's going to be kind of lost as to how he's supposed to act. He's doing really well now though and I'm confident that we can train him to be more relaxed around strange dogs as well.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah and I clearly said that most of the options aren't viable in my situation. If I say I can't have a dog pen in my house, maybe using those critical thinking skills people could have to the conclusion that I have no room for one. I did say I won't crate because it's illegal here.

do they not have bathrooms in europe where you could contain your sainted rescue?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

do they not have bathrooms in europe where you could contain your sainted rescue?

Plenty of poo poo to wreck in our bathroom. It's next to impossible to turn safe for a puppy. Will you take my word or do you need pictures or something?

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

You didn't specify why it wasn't a viable option. Not saying that it's illegal where you live just makes everyone think you're against it because of what it might do to your home decor or something.

I read the discussion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wtftastic posted:

That would require a baby gate which was suggestion 8 rather than the previous 7 suggestions of containment that were not a crate.

That stupid Seattle dog who has lovely pacific northwest :feelsgood: owners is what I remember best though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

wtftastic posted:

youre american yuo just wouldnt understand

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Plenty of poo poo to wreck in our bathroom. It's next to impossible to turn safe for a puppy. Will you take my word or do you need pictures or something?
Please give me a picture of your bathroom. Is there a shelf of figurines or are you worried about the shower curtain and TP.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Mr. Wookums posted:

That would require a baby gate which was suggestion 8 rather than the previous 7 suggestions of containment that were not a crate.

That stupid Seattle dog who has lovely pacific northwest :feelsgood: owners is what I remember best though.

im sorry you are right, how foolish of me.

Triangulum posted:

youre american yuo just wouldnt understand

im sorry my tiny american mind doesn't believe that anywhere else in this world exists

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

right and thats why i gave you suggestions on how to line your bathroom with pen panels to make sure he cant gently caress anything up

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Triangulum posted:

right and thats why i gave you suggestions on how to line your bathroom with pen panels to make sure he cant gently caress anything up

pen pannels are the same as crates which are radioactive

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

wtftastic posted:

if you've seen some of the stupid poo poo we've seen over the last 4-5 years you'd feel the same way

Potentially. But I'm mostly seeing a bunch of folks playing soggy biscuit and getting over-emotional about things where they don't have complete knowledge of the individual situation they're commenting on.

If you'd like to be helpful, then kindly give me some advice regarding my pup's bad habit of chewing on one of her paws that I mentioned previously in the thread since that still keeps coming back as an issue. She's not chewing it raw or tearing hair out, but she is sticking her back leg in her mouth and it is getting kinda pinkish off and on.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Triangulum posted:

hey man we don't want to risk the star trek and royal doulton figurines

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Potentially. But I'm mostly seeing a bunch of folks playing soggy biscuit and getting over-emotional about things where they don't have complete knowledge of the individual situation they're commenting on.

If you'd like to be helpful, then kindly give me some advice regarding my pup's bad habit of chewing on one of her paws that I mentioned previously in the thread since that still keeps coming back as an issue. She's not chewing it raw or tearing hair out, but she is sticking her back leg in her mouth and it is getting kinda pinkish off and on.

Probably an allergy.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

PartyCrown posted:

Probably an allergy.

A distinct possibility - she does get eye-boogers pretty regular-like. I'm in Austin, which is basically a giant bowl containing nothing but mold, oak/cedar pollen, ragweed, and smoke now that Bastrop's caught on fire again. What should I be doing, other than sprinkling antihistamines in her food?

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

A distinct possibility - she does get eye-boogers pretty regular-like. I'm in Austin, which is basically a giant bowl containing nothing but mold, oak/cedar pollen, ragweed, and smoke now that Bastrop's caught on fire again. What should I be doing, other than sprinkling antihistamines in her food?

Take your dog to the vet and try an elimination diet in case it's something in her food.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
tbf a huge part of the reason we dont know the full circumstances is because every time we ask he screams I SHOULDNT HAVE TO TELL YOU!!!! kiiiiinda makes it difficult to give relevant advice

PartyCrown posted:

Probably an allergy.

that, some other skin condition, or she might have a foxtail or something stuck in her paws. check them super super thoroughly then consider making a vet appointment if there's no obvious source of discomfort.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

PartyCrown posted:

Take your dog to the vet and try an elimination diet in case it's something in her food.

This. Also seasonal allergies can be really bad some years and not bad others- I have an elderly (9 now) dog that occasionally has terrible allergies (goopy eyes, constant scratching, etc) and the transition from fall to summer seems to be the worst. If your dog seems really miserable, your vet may prescribe some steroids. You can also use some anti-histamines OTC for allergies in dogs safely (benedryl and claritin, for example), but IANAV and I suggest you talk to your vets.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

How's worf doing btw?

possibly the victim of a gas leak

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

No need to talk poo poo about my dog though, he's a rescue pup who's only lived in a real home for 3 months :(

he's doing really well though, knows all the basic commands and we're working on his anxiety & fear.

Kaydee grew up for the first the months of her life on the loving streets of Japan where people actively tried to hit her with their cars so there'd be one less dog. She didn't eat several nights. She was found rail thin on a beach with 0 manners and 0 idea of what the gently caress humans were except big, rear end in a top hat animals that throw rocks at her, try to give her poisoned food and tried to hit her with their cars.

She didn't tear poo poo up at a year old because we put her rear end in a crate where it belongs and she loves her crate like holy poo poo you have no idea, she would live in it if possible. (and because she's an incredibly good dog and shreds only her toys, like good girls do). She was to finish her first rally title but Amy ate her and broke her ribs and oh hey, herding ducks has given her her confidence back. So we'll be doing that after we move. She'll be 6 in February. She's an absolutely fantastic dog because I Bothered To Work With Her.

Or how about Ires who IS a titled herding dog now (mind you, a minor title) from the streets of El Paso, Texico (it may as well be mexico even if it's texas technically) who isn't even four yet and helps me separate my ducks now when I ask her to so they can be weighed, checked over and made sure that they're healthy and happy?

But I guess I should just let them do whatever the gently caress they want and eat my house instead of this:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

PartyCrown posted:

I'll bring it up again when I drop her off on Friday for her fixing. She's currently eating the Blue Buffalo bison stuff but I'll see what I can do foodwise if it is a potential food allergy.

Triangulum posted:

tbf a huge part of the reason we dont know the full circumstances is because every time we ask he screams I SHOULDNT HAVE TO TELL YOU!!!! kiiiiinda makes it difficult to give relevant advice

that, some other skin condition, or she might have a foxtail or something stuck in her paws. check them super super thoroughly then consider making a vet appointment if there's no obvious source of discomfort.

I was also including Fluff's bit about me and my pup's situation as part of that. And then the whole thing becomes an echo chamber where folks on both sides assumes that the other poster is basically a monkey in a cage throwing its own poo poo around.

She did use to chew elsewhere as well - that mostly solved itself when I started putting fish oil in her food. Since the foot-chewing is an off and on thing it might very well be a foreign body or something similar. Just got an email from work saying that the project's been pushed back ANOTHER loving week, which means I'll be able to keep an eye on her while she's recovering. If it stays away while she's not in the backyard or at the puppy daycare that'll be a good clue.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

Jebuz, you're being obstinate. If you don't have room for a pen, how on earth are you going to have room for the dog?...and it wasn't until like the 3rd or 4th round that you said it was illegal. (Which I guess means you live in Sweden, as thats the only country silly enough to have banned crates, as far as I can see).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

wtftastic posted:

This. Also seasonal allergies can be really bad some years and not bad others- I have an elderly (9 now) dog that occasionally has terrible allergies (goopy eyes, constant scratching, etc) and the transition from fall to summer seems to be the worst. If your dog seems really miserable, your vet may prescribe some steroids. You can also use some anti-histamines OTC for allergies in dogs safely (benedryl and claritin, for example), but IANAV and I suggest you talk to your vets.

Don't worry, for all the Mr. Bean I play up I'm not about to accidentally poison my dog by giving her meds that I have not been told by a vet that are safe to give her. She's not really miserable, it's just something that I've noticed as has the trainer when it crops up. Mostly trying to stay on top of it due to the fact that she's a border collie/german shepherd mix and I've read horror stories about them getting mental problems if they're not stimulated enough. If it's an environmental thing that's just plain ducky to me.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Jebuz, you're being obstinate. If you don't have room for a pen, how on earth are you going to have room for the dog?...and it wasn't until like the 3rd or 4th round that you said it was illegal. (Which I guess means you live in Sweden, as thats the only country silly enough to have banned crates, as far as I can see).

Nah they're banned in Germany outside of medical reasons and travel as well as most Scandinavian countries. Probably some others as well. It's loving dumb but it is what it is

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Triangulum posted:

Nah they're banned in Germany outside of medical reasons and travel as well as most Scandinavian countries. Probably some others as well. It's loving dumb but it is what it is

If the dog eats everything in sight I'd say that's probably medical enough, surely.

citybeatnik posted:

Don't worry, for all the Mr. Bean I play up I'm not about to accidentally poison my dog by giving her meds that I have not been told by a vet that are safe to give her. She's not really miserable, it's just something that I've noticed as has the trainer when it crops up. Mostly trying to stay on top of it due to the fact that she's a border collie/german shepherd mix and I've read horror stories about them getting mental problems if they're not stimulated enough. If it's an environmental thing that's just plain ducky to me.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of blue buffalo because they loving lie and have been caught lying about what they put in their food and the values of nutritional content. And their callbacks. I really, really like acana like, I've never found a food I was like "yes, this" and then I found acana and.

Yes.

This.

I've got no idea what you're paying for a bag of blue buffalo, though.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If the dog eats everything in sight I'd say that's probably medical enough, surely.

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of blue buffalo because they loving lie and have been caught lying about what they put in their food and the values of nutritional content. And their callbacks. I really, really like acana like, I've never found a food I was like "yes, this" and then I found acana and.

Yes.

This.

You'd think so but it's more for surgery recovery and poo poo like that. Crates technically aren't illegal but you need something insane like a 16'x16' "crate" for a chihuahua so

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes.

This.

Probably more than I need to, particularly since it's the wilderness brand. I started using it primarily because I switched to their cat brand to see if the gluten-free stuff would help with her randomly vomiting, and it did, so I've stuck with it through inertia. But you're not the first that's said that they were leery of Blue Buffalo so I should probably reconsider it; I mostly figure that I should be getting stuff that's less people food ("here, give them some peas and carrots and poo poo, it's just like they're having a turkey dinner with gravy!") and more, you know, meat. I'll take a look at Acana, but I probably won't be switching her food out while she's recovering.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well yeah of course not. You don't wanna give her the gut grumbles more than she'll already have.

To be honest? You could totally raw feed her if you wanted. It takes learning and it takes practice to get it right, but I mean. She's not exactly a great dane.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Acana's great but they are pretty pricey. You get get a lot of pet foods cheaper by going through Amazon's subscription service or through websites like petflow or chewy though, iirc Acana's ~33% cheaper on petflow

The big issue with blue buffalo is that they got caught lying about the ingredients in their kibble and were subsequently sued for it. It's not like they were poisoning their food or anything but it is pretty sketchy. A lot of people's dogs seem to run into problems on it, soft stools being the more common one

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

But I guess I should just let them do whatever the gently caress they want and eat my house instead of this:

I wish I had a back yard.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Plenty of room for the dogs, just not enough for a pen big enough. Weird layout in this apt. The only place I could put it in is the dining area / kitchen, and I don't want to do that because if he somehow gets out he could potentially burn the whole house down.

I did actually already solve this though with a baby gate thanks everyone.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

My dog has done well on Wellness and AvoDerm, and I would suggest taking a look at those as well or getting samples of them to try. I found my dog did better off of BB too.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well yeah of course not. You don't wanna give her the gut grumbles more than she'll already have.

To be honest? You could totally raw feed her if you wanted. It takes learning and it takes practice to get it right, but I mean. She's not exactly a great dane.

Well, to be fair you were asking not that long ago if I planned on taking her straight from the vet to the puppy daycare place after her operation; just wanted to be sure I was clear about that.

I've considered raw feeding before, but in more of a "huh, here's this raw food stuff here at PetsMart; I wonder how that works". What do you mean by it taking learning and practice to get right?

Triangulum posted:

Acana's great but they are pretty pricey. You get get a lot of pet foods cheaper by going through Amazon's subscription service or through websites like petflow or chewy though, iirc Acana's ~33% cheaper on petflow

The big issue with blue buffalo is that they got caught lying about the ingredients in their kibble and were subsequently sued for it. It's not like they were poisoning their food or anything but it is pretty sketchy. A lot of people's dogs seem to run into problems on it, soft stools being the more common one

Is it bad that I haven't bothered with the subscription stuff mostly due to the fact that I like being able to take her in to the store for even more socialization? That said, I'll take a look and see about it. As I said, it's been Blue Buffalo due to force of habit more than anything else.

And the only soft stool problem I had with them was when I was giving Bailey their wetfood and The Poopening happened all over her, the floor, the kennel... Are we just talking loose stool here?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

citybeatnik posted:

Well, to be fair you were asking not that long ago if I planned on taking her straight from the vet to the puppy daycare place after her operation; just wanted to be sure I was clear about that.

I've considered raw feeding before, but in more of a "huh, here's this raw food stuff here at PetsMart; I wonder how that works". What do you mean by it taking learning and practice to get right?

Is it bad that I haven't bothered with the subscription stuff mostly due to the fact that I like being able to take her in to the store for even more socialization? That said, I'll take a look and see about it. As I said, it's been Blue Buffalo due to force of habit more than anything else.

And the only soft stool problem I had with them was when I was giving Bailey their wetfood and The Poopening happened all over her, the floor, the kennel... Are we just talking loose stool here?

No it's not weird, if using the pet store as socialization is more important than saving a few bucks that's fine.

Regarding raw feeding, the stuff available in stories is hideously expensive so most raw feeders create their dog's meals themselves. This means you have to get familiar with canine dietary requirements, learn how to balance their nutrients correctly, and where to source meat and organs from. It's not super hard and there are some cool spreadsheets out there to help you get started, but there is a bit of a learning curve to it. Once you get into the swing of it, it's super easy though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey guys I have an Aussie shepherd that doesn't get much exercise that I keep in a crate for 12 hours a day he keeps chewing on things inside the house when i leave him unattended what gives

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey guys I have an Aussie shepherd that doesn't get much exercise that I keep in a crate for 12 hours a day he keeps chewing on things inside the house when i leave him unattended what gives

you should probably let it out a bit now and then

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh is that what they teach on that side of the world

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I sure ruffled up some feathers here, hah.

Our lil guy got so excited when I got home just now that he peed a little. It's cool but i just washed the rugs :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
ugh you crate? why dont you just train your dog not to destroy stuff

that being said, my dog just destroyed $500 worth of my poo poo what should i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Oh give it a rest. You're being pissy as a teenage girl.

quote:

Take the ethical discussions elsewhere
In Europe, crate training is illegal and frowned upon because of the association of crates and puppy mills. Some people believe that Cesar Milan is the Anti-Christ. The point is, we don’t care. Ethical debates are outside of the scope of this thread and if you are determined to have them, please do so in a separate thread.

This should go both ways.