Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

It's good but anything running low values should probably use Kidnappin' instead. Due to how the end of turn effects work, their dude will be discarded after the victory check, meaning that they could still move their dude and potentially take control of a deed before they get discarded and since your posse is now booted at home, that could be something you can't do anything about.

This is really frustrating and unintuitive. Like with the Sloane outfit ability where your dude gets a control point - why can't that win me the game that turn? Any player would think that unless they were totally familiar with the rules. Would the victory check being the last thing that happens in a turn instead of the first thing that happens at sundown really break the game?

Also:

Undertaker's looking really good with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BJPaskoff posted:

This is really frustrating and unintuitive. Like with the Sloane outfit ability where your dude gets a control point - why can't that win me the game that turn? Any player would think that unless they were totally familiar with the rules. Would the victory check being the last thing that happens in a turn instead of the first thing that happens at sundown really break the game?

The thing that irks me is that the word "during" is used both on Sloane Gang and Jake Smiley and yet they trigger during two different steps of Sundown. That makes no sense. IF they actually errata'ed Sloane Gang so it said after I could understand how they were different, but that they just arbitrarily seemed to decide that Sloane Gang works during a completely different step of Sundown than Jake reeks of AEG rules team and design team not being on the same page which has been an issue with them for years.

Hmm, does the Wretched work with token dudes. I think I read you don't own them somewhere so if that's correct then he doesn't which is a shame. Summoning Spirits then turning them into abominations would be pretty cool.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 1, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm glad that they're doing something with Sheriff Dave Montreal.

heh

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PaybackJack posted:

What are our noon actions that cause a loss of bullets/value/influence?

Stone Idol - 9H
Blood Curse - QH
Mayor's Office - AD
Hustings - 3D
Incubation - 7C
Rumors - 8C

What else do we have?
It's not technically a noon action, but The Fabulous Mr. Miss dings influence whenever someone refuses a callout.

Also I just realized that the Sanatorium's buffs/dings are permanent. That holds a lot more possibility than I had first imagined.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 2, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

"Don't worry, we've noticed how dominant 4th Ring has become in the metagame."

[ONE EXPANSION LATER]

"Oh... well, we never said we'd actually take steps to do anything about it."

Did someone say Doji Saori?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Also I just realized that the Sanatorium's buffs/dings are permanent. That holds a lot more possibility than I had first imagined.

No they're not.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Joker and Sloane Exp previewed.

At first I wasn't really a fan of Sloane but her interaction with jobs, particularly one like Kidnappin' is amazing. Send everyone off on a job, let your opponent move out to try and out maneuver you, then drop Sloane to unboot the posse and go clean up the town. Really strong synergy with Kidnappin' and DR.

Joker is...not bad but not very useful at the moment. We either need to see people running less cheating punishment or some effects that protect cheating. Probably an interesting choice for agro decks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah Sloane Exp is really great in that Mid/late game phase where you'll basically be unbooting everyone and you can push to win to double Kidnapping or something

The Joker is good in many ways just now, if all they can hit you with is It's Not What You Know... then it's basically a Joker. It's good for Aggro decks that are prepared to suck up a few Coachwhips etc. It's things like Bottom Dealing that really punish you.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

Yeah Sloane Exp is really great in that Mid/late game phase where you'll basically be unbooting everyone and you can push to win to double Kidnapping or something

The Joker is good in many ways just now, if all they can hit you with is It's Not What You Know... then it's basically a Joker. It's good for Aggro decks that are prepared to suck up a few Coachwhips etc. It's things like Bottom Dealing that really punish you.

Bottom Dealin', This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’, and Flight of the Lepus are my standard Cheatin' Punishments. Coachwhip is only really good in a shootout and doesn't necessarily win you the shootout which is why it takes a back seat to Bottom Dealin or THitM.

People really under estimate Flight, but being able to knock dudes off your deeds before you get income or knock them off a contested one so that you deny them income is great, and sending three people home in a shootout is the end of a lot of shootouts, particularly in a 4R deck where 2-3 dudes is all they can typically muster against you at a time. If you're in a bad position, you can run away yourself with it as well. Really good card I don't see enough people using.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does AEG have to make any concessions to Pinnacle since the two parted ways in the interim before the games revival? I mean I haven't seen all the cards but I'm noticing a lack of harrowed and other iconic Deadlands monsters.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Hey PaybackJack I kept meaning to thank you for that Morgan deck, but it took forever to get a goodly number of plays in with it and enjoy the consistency. So cheers! (I've moved on to Eagle Wardens now though, after a disastrous attempt at the 108)

PaybackJack posted:

Hmm, does the Wretched work with token dudes. I think I read you don't own them somewhere so if that's correct then he doesn't which is a shame. Summoning Spirits then turning them into abominations would be pretty cool.

I wanted to check this because I've been using No Turning Back on my Spirits and the answer is yes. (http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=114386#p1479472)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Single Tight Female posted:

Hey PaybackJack I kept meaning to thank you for that Morgan deck, but it took forever to get a goodly number of plays in with it and enjoy the consistency. So cheers! (I've moved on to Eagle Wardens now though, after a disastrous attempt at the 108)

I wanted to check this because I've been using No Turning Back on my Spirits and the answer is yes. (http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=114386#p1479472)

It's funny, I knew that worked, but I couldn't find it in the rules anywhere that states why it would work. Then when I was looking for it, I came across the accumulated rulings that state that you own cards in your deck and tokens are never added to decks; which made me think that this didn't actually work and should have been worded differently, or rather that No Turning Back was worded differently.

This is AEG though so I'm not going to bother posting why their own rules contradict their cards because it would just result in them going "Oh, well now it works because we arbitrarily rule it so."

Glad the Morgan deck worked out for you as a place to start.

Edit: ahh gently caress it I'll reply and see if anything comes of it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2015

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Combing through there is nothing in the rules that supports it working - the token rules say nothing about ownership and specifically say tokens don't come from your deck, the ownership rules only say you own stuff that comes from your deck. What seems the simplest solution to me is for Token dudes to have a line about ownership printed on them - something they could really have done from IOUF.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

What are our noon actions that cause a loss of bullets/value/influence?

Stone Idol - 9H
Blood Curse - QH
Mayor's Office - AD
Hustings - 3D
Incubation - 7C
Rumors - 8C

What else do we have?

Hey I just wanted to point out that if your opponent likes to Pistol Whip your dudes they can have Forced Quarantine run on them in retaliation after the gunfight ends. It's an amazing card.

Also, introduced this to two more people last night. Huge hit, one of them really liked it. That's like half a dozen introductions and everybody loves the game. Honestly this is probably one of the best card games on the market as long as you avoid netdecking out the meta-beaters.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New Sloane box is amazingly good.

Start the Fixer and Travis Moone for 1GR each? Why yes, I think I will do that.

Lost lowball? Might as well get your $1 back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Aramoro posted:

No they're not.
Then that's a slightly harder sell.

PaybackJack posted:

New Sloane box is amazingly good.

Start the Fixer and Travis Moone for 1GR each? Why yes, I think I will do that.

Lost lowball? Might as well get your $1 back.

That's an interesting reason to have a few extra Grifters floating around in your deck, as well as ridiculously good out the gate economy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

How many faction homes have been previewed?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How many faction homes have been previewed?

Just Sloane and 5R so far.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Kinda concerned that with AEG getting out of the L5R business because they felt they couldn't do justice to a LCG, that Doomtown is next on the chopping block, for the reason it's an LCG :P

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

SirFozzie posted:

Kinda concerned that with AEG getting out of the L5R business because they felt they couldn't do justice to a LCG, that Doomtown is next on the chopping block, for the reason it's an LCG :P

Yeah, going to be honest, that press release where they basically say "we're a different type of company than we were, and we are focused on different kinds of products now" kind of paints a big bullseye on this game. I don't want it to happen, but here we are.

On the other hand, theres only so many reskins of Love Letter you can release before you reach diminishing returns.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Full The Light Shineth spoilers are on that new blog, The Gadgetorium - http://the-gadgetorium.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/spoiler-light-shineth.html

I am loving the fallout from Dave's death.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SirFozzie posted:

L5R design has been a burning tire fire for like 5 years at this point. I think they realized that but it's not like they were going to say it in a press release. It's not like their design would suddenly become good for that game just because it was an LCG, and frankly FFG has a tough job putting all those factions into one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

A Fancy Bloke posted:

L5R design has been a burning tire fire for like 5 years at this point. I think they realized that but it's not like they were going to say it in a press release. It's not like their design would suddenly become good for that game just because it was an LCG, and frankly FFG has a tough job putting all those factions into one.

I think they'll do alright. I was worried about that at first too but honestly FFG showed with Netrunner that they can make a faction have at least 2 different themes, and with Conquest/aGoT should that they can make a large number of factions with core ideas and playstyles in each. Balance wise they can't be any worse than AEG.

The one thing I'm happy that we can start to move away from is clan bias on the part of players and designers. It annoys me to no end people having "favorite" factions since I always bought everything. Clan loyalty was a neat concept but holy hell people in L5R took it to a level it shouldn't go. I would have people hate me for who I played based on the storyline, and to this day I've never met a Crane player that wasn't a total douchebag and it irks me because I hate judging people like that.

Regarding Doomtown, my thoughts on the spoiled cards

Abram's Crusaders - Solid. Probably better than The Arsenal, not extremely offensive but very strong support. 7/10

Turkish Bear - Solid dude, good stats and a good ability. Not amazingly strong but very good mid tier support character. 6/10

Jim Cheveyo - A nice starter to go along with your Shaman as both protection and influence once you get that spirit down. 8/10

Enapay: Not bad, very solid, maybe one of the better starters we've seen from EW. 7/10

Danny Wilde: Not great. He's not a large target anyway. Best thing you could do with him is toss a new hat on him and go camp their favorite deed. Just an annoying card, not super good but doesn't really help your overall strategy. He's a guy that looks more useful that he'd probably end up being most games and his upkeep precludes him as a starter in a lot of cases. 4-6/10

Ivor exp1: This is fantastic, and really good for Abomb decks. Not so great for spells but easily better than the previous K. 8/10

Abram exp2: Cost reduction is not as good as it could be, and out of a deck other than core LD could only be 1 or 2. That said, his noon action is down right amazing, even more so than Sloane exp1. 8/10

Dead Billy Jones: Totally unnecessary upkeep here. Victim of the standard cost/power math. He's too expensive to start, supports that horse theme which is already movement heavy with more movement and Harrowed is not even worth thinking about until we get some good cards that key off it. 4/10

Lillian Morgan exp1: I would start the ever loving hell out of her. What a loving card. Booting her to play a Buried Treasure from my discard pile is amazing. Very strong ability that could lead to some degenerative combos. 10/10

Samantha Sammy Cooke: Same problem as Billy Jones in many ways. Her ability is nice but still reliant on your opponent having goods that you can discard and if there's nothing for her to steal she's a 3 draw 1 influence for 1 upkeep which sounds fine but really that's not winning you the game and you'd probably be better off discarding her and saving that 5 GR in a mid-late game scenario. I'd run a single copy in a deck that ran 7s as a meta card, but I wouldn't start her. 4/10

Quarantine Tent: Good price for 2 CP, and a strong ability? Sign me up. Deedslide loves the hell out of this card and I might even try it out of DR or SG hoping that my opponent can't take it from me and defend town square. 7/10

Mutant Cattle: 2 value 9 difficulty gadget for 2 GR with a reactive ability? Uhm no. I'm not throwing off my draw structure for an extra bullet and a sidekick and then hope that you win a shootout so i can punish you for making me discard this card. What the hell. Awful. 2/10

Monte Bank: Value is a little low for pull decks but income on a goods card is interesting and can go on anyone. However the bad return of it only really makes it worth using for Den of Thieves decks. 5/10 but 8/10 in Den of Thieves.

Wendy's Teethkickers: Ugh, yeah another reactive card that just isn't good enough to make the cut. Ability is so situational that you're basically paying 2 GR for 1 Inf and that's just not great. 5/10

Richman's Guard Dog: Eh, I guess there needed to be a cheating punishment gadget but this isn't very useful. There are probably better Cheatin Resolutions to use. I do really like the trap aspect of the card coming into play on reveal, that's a really good aspect I just wonder if it makes the cut. 5/10

Firey Rhetoric: Could be a good finisher, but I don't quite see it. Miracles and Wanted dudes don't play together as much as I would like just yet. Has potential. 6/10

Strength of the Ancestors: This is ok. Good value versus difficulty, but it doesn't play well with other spirits because of their checks. I'm going to hold out hope that we can see some other spirits at 3/5/7 value that will have similarly low difficulties so we can have a whole different deck theme than just "choose 1 low value card to run alongside all your high value totems". 6/10

Phantom Fingers: Meta card against Gadgets/Goods, not particularly interesting meta either, but I guess it's there if we need it though the value might render is unusable in most hex decks. 4/10

Dumbstruck: Unboot your dude card, not bad as that can serve as a 2 action move a lot. Decent value/difficulty. 2 GR cost is pretty rough but unbooting for what will be a noon action is probably worth it due to the potential to abuse jobs with a single dude. I'm going to give it a thumbs up for now, looks good but gotta see how it feels in a deck. Untested I'm going 7/10

Red Horse's Tail: A tuned down Soul Blast and Paralysis Mark mashed onto one card. Not bad, but I'm not sure it's worth running either. Needs to be built around, 6/10.

Fire of Nanahozho: Very interesting card. Unbooting effect seems very helpful. +2 to Shaman seems a little pointless since you'll typically build a deck to be consistent with that bonus, but could help even out some lower values that come out later. Maybe make A/2 a bit more playable along side 4/5. Right now, 7/10.

Civil War: Terrible Art, just god awful. Two of the more sexualized characters also having a cat fight, give me a break. The card itself is kind of garbage given that the movement is free. I guess it's nice to get someone out of their home or break up a highly defended deed but unless you're waiting until they already have 2 dudes booted somewhere this is a bit meh. 4/10

Rabbit's Deception: I'm not really sure what to make of this, but seeing how much movement 108 have, a double send home booted effect seems pretty strong. 8/10

A Hero's Passing: I'm not really sure where this goes. Shooting decks are probably going to prioritize Faster on the Draw and the value isn't good for pull decks. The card is a win more job, but the card draw is really strong. If it was 7 value I could see it being really good alongside the Wretched, still might be as a 2 off, ahh but then it's too inconsistent to come up. Ahh I can't get behind it, there's better jobs to splash into and at that value Faster on the Draw is going to be a better choice most of the time. 4/10

Tummy Twister: Seems pretty good early game, late game it's pretty useless. Still I like it in theory, would probably run 4x if I was using them, Worth using over Rumors for control or This'll Hurt for agro? Probably not. 5/10

Backroom Deals: First reaction is way too situational to even think about. Duderush might want to take advantage of the card, but I think there's probably better choices to be made instead of it. 4/10

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 4, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hold on, I'm confused. Did I miss packs, or did they go straight from IOUF to The Light Shineth?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

did they go straight from IOUF to The Light Shineth?

Correct. If I understand correctly, IOUF was a "faction pack" and not part of the regular saddlebag/pine box cycle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

InShaneee posted:

Correct. If I understand correctly, IOUF was a "faction pack" and not part of the regular saddlebag/pine box cycle.

Ok, just checking. Light Shineth is in stock at CSI and I wasn't sure if I needed to pick up anything else.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Errata for the Upkeep Phase.

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=115358

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Got my cards in yesterday. Starting the new netural Mad Scientist and using Eagle Wardens to summon spirits into The Wretched seems really good. Camping out a spot in town and using Spirit Walk to throw them around seems amazing. New EW 9 who can't be called out is a fantastic starter and can just camp town square and use the outfit ability is huge.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PaybackJack you should put all your card reviews on the Doomtown card database. That's a lot of work for like 20 people to read, and that site desperately needs content beyond decklists.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

PaybackJack you should put all your card reviews on the Doomtown card database. That's a lot of work for like 20 people to read, and that site desperately needs content beyond decklists.

I was thinking of doing a more critical blog of the game a while back where'd I'd post reports and stuff, but honestly my meta is just too weak compared to other people's to really let me dig as deep with some of the cards as I'd like to. Also the community is so...apologetic in general that it's not really worth my time. Actually I feel like a lot of the hardcore L5R players used to feel back in the day. There's little talk "at the top" outside the highly insular upper crust of players and everything beneath that gets mired in people defending the design team and bad cards because they like the theme rather than how the cards mechanically play so that discussion never goes anywhere.

The game is kind of dying where I'm at anyway. We had our Sheriff Event winner quit a month after winning because school started back up and he's writing a thesis in addition to having to get certified as a teacher for back in the states. Another player dropped with Thrones 2e coming out, and I'm guessing I'll be playing a lot more of that as well since we have a bit more interest there. I was hoping Singapore would pick up Doomtown but the L5R players seemed to pass on it, and the LCG players were already too invested into aGoT/Netrunner/Conquest/Star Wars. They didn't even have a sheriff tournament which I found shocking and that was going to be my larger tournament test group. I could go down to Malaysia but they've only got 8 players so it's not really worth it.

Team Covenant just posted their first Marshal tournament video, a 4R mirror match.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 14, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

And that right there is why the game is not doing well. I love this game's gameplay but 4th Ring is loving ridiculous and everyone knows it. It reminds me of blue control decks in early Magic, where blue was defined as the "everything else" power and so got all the best stuff. 4th Ring is the same way, they got "everything that isn't straight shooting, cheating punishment, and economy" abilities. Nuts.

Edit: The number one problem in the game is Paralysis Mark, a ridiculously badly-designed auto-include monster card which makes Hucksters incredible, which makes 4th Ring - the Huckster faction - incredible. It needs to be re-valued and/or work off Grit. Re-costing Paralysis Mark would fix a lot of problems with the current meta.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 15, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I definitely agree, I think a 2 GR cost for PR would definitely slow down 4R decks early on. I don't think switching it to grit would have as much impact as you might think. Honestly the best thing for it would be the make it be a boot the caster as a cost, that way at least you're locking your guy down to lock their dude down but it prevents you from stacking them on a single guy which is a big problem.

Game 2 is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpDdyk3zBwY

Watching this mirror match is like watching a couple MMA wrestlers have a stand up fight because neither can take the other down., so they just stand and trade awful punches with each other.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The question is, do they have the guts to "errata" the card? Because as far as I know there's no rotation schedule, so unlike Magic's unbalanced stuff this is not gonna solve itself with the passing of time.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The question is, do they have the guts to "errata" the card? Because as far as I know there's no rotation schedule, so unlike Magic's unbalanced stuff this is not gonna solve itself with the passing of time.

Well it's AEG so they'll errata is after a lot of kicking and screaming. Honestly though, I don't think it's necessary to errata just yet. AEG typical response is to print some silver bullet style meta and see how that works and if it still wins a bunch even with a hard counter they'll errata it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

Well it's AEG so they'll errata is after a lot of kicking and screaming. Honestly though, I don't think it's necessary to errata just yet. AEG typical response is to print some silver bullet style meta and see how that works and if it still wins a bunch even with a hard counter they'll errata it.

Great.

On another note, I'm gonna show you a dumb deck concept I am working on that's pretty funny when it works. Please don't boo this too hard, it's a kick-around idea. I'm aware it has problems. I've only played two games with it and in one game it went crazy and in the other it totally flat-lined, kinda like the Law Dogs Judge decks. Also please don't share this, part of the fun is people's reactions to this craziness.

Den of Thieves Splash Gadget

How it works: Start the game and GRIFT THE gently caress outta your deck to get a good setup. If all goes well, you put a flamethrower on the Fixer and send a 5 stud and friend over to Kidnap their best dude first turn. Nobody can stand up to a 5 stud massive cheatin' deck like this, you're getting a four/five a kind and they're sucking a fat one. If you weren't able to get that combo, well, you looked at 12 cards and have seven of them in your hand, I'm sure you've got some way to gently caress them over. You're going to lose Lowball but still bring in a ghost rock, and you're going to get a bunch of wanted dudes rolling so they're gonna have a lot of money if you start taking casualties. Don't take casualties. :)

This deck uses Roderick Byre. And by "uses" I mean "completely and utterly relies on him". Don't let him get Aced under any circumstances or you're fuckin' dead. Don't let 4th Ring get Leon or some other rear end in a top hat Huckster to the Town Square and boot him, either. This is one of the deck's biggest weaknesses.

You cheat a lot. Who fuckin' cares? If they hit you with a hard cheating resolution that wrecks your hand, play No Turning Back. Pick the dude with the Vitality Tonic if you can, he gets discarded instead of Aced. Har har har. Use Election Day Slaughter and untap your 5 Stud Fixer to relentlessly murder people. Throw a little money on him if you can spare it and get a 6 Stud with an extra casualty. Kill, kill, kill. If you get in a grind fight you're capable of hanging in there but ultimately you'll lose to Clowntrol like everybody else unless you can murder the gently caress outta those clowns.

This deck has a decent tempo for economy but can spend as much money as you generate as fast as you can generate it. Vitality Tonic has a straight 1/4 chance of discarding your dude so it's usually worth it to go for it. USUALLY.

Flamethrowers and the starting dudes are your off-value cards, play them out as soon as possible. Otherwise this deck is 7/Q/K and always makes its invention pulls. It's also hilarious as nobody has generally seen a Sloane invention deck (because it's insanely dumb) that relentlessly cheats and doesn't give a gently caress.

This deck doesn't use Point Blank on K because getting unbooted Studs is not as reliable as it should be IMO since you're going to be interacting through jobs and your starting Dudes are all Draws. You can probably run 2 of them for later game if you want. About 1/3rd of the time this deck can generate a turn 1 unBooted 5 stud Fixer like it ain't no thing. Enjoy it.

Den of Thieves Gadget Splash Concept

Starts with 3(5) Influence, 5 Wealth, and 0 Income

Den of Thieves (The Light Shineth)

Dude (15)
1x Alice Stowe (New Town, New Rules)
1x Allie Hensman* (Base Set)
1x Genesee "Gina" Tailfeathers* (Double Dealin')
2x J.W. Byrne (Frontier Justice)
1x Jacqueline Isham (No Turning Back)
1x Jake Smiley* (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Old Man McDroste (Nightmare at Noon)
2x Roderick Byre* (New Town, New Rules)
1x Samantha "Sammy" Cooke (The Light Shineth)
2x Sloane (Exp.1) (The Light Shineth)
1x The Fixer* (Faith and Fear)
1x Ulysses Marks (New Town, New Rules)

Deed (11)
2x Blake Ranch (Base Set)
1x Cattle Market (Base Set)
2x General Store (Base Set)
1x Hunter Protections (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Railroad Station (Base Set)
1x St. Anthony's Chapel (Faith and Fear)
1x Telegraph Office (Base Set)
1x The Pharmacy (Base Set)
1x The Whateley Estate (Faith and Fear)

Goods (14)
2x Auto-Revolver (Base Set)
2x Fancy New Hat (Frontier Justice)
4x Flame-Thrower (Base Set)
2x Monte Bank (The Light Shineth)
4x Vitality Tonic (No Turning Back)

Action (12)
4x Election Day Slaughter (Election Day Slaughter)
4x Kidnappin' (Base Set)
4x No Turning Back (No Turning Back)

52 cards with printed value (required 52)
Cards up to The Light Shineth

Deck built on DoomtownDB.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 16, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Not a terrible idea, though I might suggest building around Shotgun instead of Flamethrower. I really like Den of Theieves, it's great conceptually and it's my next deck to build around. Just got caught up to date and built the 108 Banditslide deck that won the sheriff event, starting 6 IaS(influence at Sundown) , 6 dudes, with no upkeep is loving ridiculous. Hamshanks laughs at your paralysis marks too. Amazing.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 16, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The problem with Shotgun was that the deck has a real problem with generating Studs. It also fails skill checks and believe me you need every one of them to succeed. Take a crack at it if you want, I'm game for ideas.

Also could you edit out that huge block o' quoted text please?

edit: Also yeah the Banditslide is silly, as is the one that brings in the Legendary Holster to every goddamn gunfight. I don't like Landslide decks though, they are super boring, but they are effective.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 16, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The problem with Shotgun was that the deck has a real problem with generating Studs. It also fails skill checks and believe me you need every one of them to succeed. Take a crack at it if you want, I'm game for ideas.

Also could you edit out that huge block o' quoted text please?

edit: Also yeah the Banditslide is silly, as is the one that brings in the Legendary Holster to every goddamn gunfight. I don't like Landslide decks though, they are super boring, but they are effective.

I was thinking that with shotgun, if you get initiative you can at least get it off against a 4 or lower dudes while Flamethrower is completely nerfed by Unprepared. If you wanted to get really crazy you could go with Asyncoil Gun and run no clubs...but that's a terrible idea.

Studs are a definitely problem, and Flamethrower is one way to solve it. My personal preference is the just run the good shootout actions and make sure my opponent has no chance to use his studs. Faster on the Draw, Sun in Yer Eyes, and Pistol Whip are all really good but don't play with Flamethrower, while Shotgun, 1873 and Pearl Handled are all great.

I'd also probably run Angelica over Allie since you need another shooter early on and Angelica is SO good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Can't run anyone with Upkeep or I can't afford to pay the Fixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Can't run anyone with Upkeep or I can't afford to pay the Fixer.

Got it, thought you were just using her to dig for cards in the first round.

• Locked thread