Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ShawnPfeiffer posted:

OK, so as a fan, I was SUPER giddy for a lot of this episode. I like the inclusion of Spivot, though I wish she was a CSI geek, like she is in the comics, but I will take this as a close second.

We got a hint of that with her collecting the sand and realizing it most likely meant a meta-human was involved due to the cable being cut by sand blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

We got a hint of that with her collecting the sand and realizing it most likely meant a meta-human was involved due to the cable being cut by sand blast.

Barry also directly asked her why police instead of CSI.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Barry also directly asked her why police instead of CSI.

Her answer was pretty good too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jackson Taus posted:

Especially when this is like vanilla sci-fi. Aside from the DC Multiverse, a ton of sci-fi shows from Star Trek on forward have explored the idea. It should be something that a guy in his 40s has at least heard of before. It might be unbelievable that that's real but it should be unimaginable.

But those guys don't have powered analogues in Earth-1. It could be the case that you can only have one of each given powerset per world or something - there can only be one Flash, one Sand Demon, one Atom Smasher, etc.

Not sure I buy that, but it's a hypothesis. Alternatively, the way Jay came over differs from the controlled way Zoom is coming over and then crossing back - it feels like Zoom's got some sort of vortex manipulator, that could be a factor.

Huh? I thought he said that he never got a chance to try throwing lightning at Sand Demon and that it took him a while learn how to do it. Presumably he just hadn't fought Sand Demon in a while...

What makes it sillier is that in the time travel episode, Cisco used different movies to explain the different theories of how time travel works, and Joe immediately got it. I kept expecting Cisco to do the same thing here as a callback to that episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Homage

I just don't think they go too long without addressing the Assassinations of Earth-2 Villians by the Coward Barry Allen at some point. I don't think the writers room is unaware that killing villains is weird.Joe even dropped during the interrogation scene that Iron Heights can hold metahumans now, so it's not just "well I guess this is better than no-lunch supermax".

Also I wonder if the extent of Cisco's vibe powers are going to be ESP.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

My only problem with this shot is Spivot's hand over her head. I think with the shot in motion it would have looked a little better if it was timed where she raised her hand up as the shot pulls back instead of just holding it over head like she's the answer to a class question.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Her answer was pretty good too.

Yeah, it seemed like a bit of a wink wink conversation too.

It's definitely easier to fit her in the show as a cop versus a lab tech. When's the last time we even saw Barry's lab?

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
52 portals means there are actually 53 earths. I think this is a small oversight by the writers, or they may have done it on purpose to emphasize the number 52.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Better than last week's, but still quite dull. I hope it picks up soon. Also weird how Jay Garrick is basically just a replacement for his dad.

Had to google to find out what the hell you guys were talking about, but for anyone curious:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

nine-gear crow posted:

So is anyone else holding out hope that Zoom is Earth-2 Eddie just to contrive any excuse to get Rick Cosnett back on the show?

fariz posted:

He's on that terrible abc show
This has come up so often that I really sort of hope they're playing some weird meta game where they're counting on Internet nerds being so savvy about tv show tropes and casting announcements that they write off the possibility of a character returning not because of the story but because of actor conflicts. Then bam, Cosnett returns and people are more surprised that he made a deal than that his character is dead.

Also, as someone who really never cared about Jay Garrick (sorry) I really liked how they made him seem so grand and larger-than-life in the episode. The helmet scene was really cool, even though the "Let's go Flash/"Sure thing Flash" *high five* was corny as hell.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Pseudo-God posted:

52 portals means there are actually 53 earths. I think this is a small oversight by the writers, or they may have done it on purpose to emphasize the number 52.

I thought the idea was more that there are 52 rifts to E2, not that they all connect to different Earths.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ShawnPfeiffer posted:

OK, so as a fan, I was SUPER giddy for a lot of this episode. I like the inclusion of Spivot, though I wish she was a CSI geek, like she is in the comics, but I will take this as a close second. I think the taskforce is intriguing on a lot of levels though. They could focus on the small time metas, leaving Barry free to go after the Big Bad. I definitely think more join the taskforce in the coming weeks, similar to what Gotham is doing, but at a slower pace. My real question is why is there no side effects in Arrow? This seems like something that should effect Arrow.

Did you miss the bit where she said she did science stuff at college, was a Barry fanboy over his CSI reports and she out CSI'd everyone at the arson crime scene?
The task force was a big thing, everyone left apart from Joe as it was too dangerous. I don't think there will be anyone else joining.

Neon Knight posted:

Harrison Wells wasn't a bad guy. Eobard Thawne was. Earth 2 Wells being treated like a villain reveal is weird.

I didn't read that scene as a villain reveal at all. It was a "hey look there is a Harrison Wells on Earth 2, he is part of their Star Labs, he is going to be important" reveal (also look at the wierd 20's scifi stuff Earth 2 has).

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 14, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ShawnPfeiffer posted:

My real question is why is there no side effects in Arrow? This seems like something that should effect Arrow.

Star(ling?) City has its own problems, like nearly being wiped off the map for 3 seasons in a row.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I thought the idea was more that there are 52 rifts to E2, not that they all connect to different Earths.

The fact that they had Stein talk about a full on multiverse makes me think it's the latter. Plus having dozens of alternate earths to pull characters from allows for a lot more potential story ideas.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crime Syndicate crossover special incoming get hype

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

The fact that they had Stein talk about a full on multiverse makes me think it's the latter. Plus having dozens of alternate earths to pull characters from allows for a lot more potential story ideas.

Yeah that would be an outstanding direction for the season to take, I hope that's what's coming.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I want Earth-2 Harrison Wells to be actual Harrison Wells, just hosed in the head due to traumatic/tragic events. Having him just be Thawne again would be boring. but having Cavanagh play a fundamentally different character allows them to cover new ground.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, it is the [i]Golden/i] Age!

Also Barry's charge-up for his lightning attack was precisely at the tempo for a reasonably extended KAH-ME-HA-ME-HAAAA! and that Cisco made no remarks regarding this disappointed me.
The correct nerd reference is 'HADOKEN!' :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spatula City posted:

I want Earth-2 Harrison Wells to be actual Harrison Wells, just hosed in the head due to traumatic/tragic events. Having him just be Thawne again would be boring. but having Cavanagh play a fundamentally different character allows them to cover new ground.

It's clearly the smug and confident and fun Wells we never quite got.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I desperately want to see one of those 30s movie serial rocket ships taking off in the background sometime.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oracle posted:

The correct nerd reference is 'HADOKEN!' :colbert:

We can split hairs over this but IMO "HADOKEN" is for quick, instant attacks, whereas ones with significant windup periods (either in "real" time or as framed by the cinematography) are Kamehamehas.

Therefore, this was a Kamehameha, but future, more rapid lighting shots might be Hadokens. Cisco referring to either would have been excellent, in any case.

:goonsay:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pseudo-God posted:

Nah. It's all portals to Earth 2. The 52 thing is an in-joke they've used for a while.

The comics have dropped the 52 multiple Earths thing anyway. Now there's an infinite number of universes containing an infinite number of universes containing an infinite number of Earths.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My name is Barry Allen and I'm the fastest murderer alive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

My name is Barry Allen and I'm the fastest murderer alive.

Turns out Barry is the season's big villain.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DoctorWhat posted:

We can split hairs over this but IMO "HADOKEN" is for quick, instant attacks, whereas ones with significant windup periods (either in "real" time or as framed by the cinematography) are Kamehamehas.

Therefore, this was a Kamehameha, but future, more rapid lighting shots might be Hadokens. Cisco referring to either would have been excellent, in any case.

:goonsay:

That wasn't proper form for either Hadokens OR Kamehamehas. Neither Ryu or Goku run in a circle and sling it around their body like a shotput.

You nerds have failed this city.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else hope that Jay would fling his METAL helmet into the lightning bolt to help blast Sand Demon?

He's always doing poo poo like that in the comics (flinging it around to smack people on the head, stop bullets/lasers/powers/etc).

I'm kinda wondering though, in the season finale Wells was kinda shocked by the helmet popping out of the singularity. Was he going to plan to go to E2 and kill that Wells and bring forth THE SUPER SCIENCE or was that just an indicator that the time portal breach thing was open and Barry could run Barry run?

ShawnPfeiffer
Aug 22, 2008

Mr Beens posted:

Did you miss the bit where she said she did science stuff at college, was a Barry fanboy over his CSI reports and she out CSI'd everyone at the arson crime scene?
The task force was a big thing, everyone left apart from Joe as it was too dangerous. I don't think there will be anyone else joining.

I did obviously catch it, I just meant I wish she had been brought in as a lab rat, and not another cop.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm worried that Spivot's going to turn into this season's "don't tell Iris," but I like her character.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I'm worried that Spivot's going to turn into this season's "don't tell Iris," but I like her character.

I'm hoping when that plot develops she just mentions in conversation "Oh btw, I know you are the Flash, I realized it back when you saved me from the sandy dude."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I kind of hope her "It's like you were there" means she thinks he's some insane serial killer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr Beens posted:

Zoom is going to be earth 2 Barry.

drat, I was working my way to the end of the thread so I could post this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I kind of hope her "It's like you were there" means she thinks he's some insane serial killer.

Ooh maybe she actually hates all metas and is working with Joe and Barry because she realizes they might know who the Flash is, and she secretly wants to take him out too!

thrawn527 posted:

drat, I was working my way to the end of the thread so I could post this.

Yeah some people had this theory last week, I think Macdeo Lurjtux was the first one (at least in this thread, but I am sure it's come up elsewhere).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Along those lines, it's not really surprising that Iris is completely rehabilitated as a character by getting in on the secret. The same thing happened on Arrow; almost every problematic character was fixed by bringing them into the inner circle.

Secret identities are just bad plot mechanisms but for some reason DC leans on it super hard.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Post-Crisis and Pre-New 52, the Crime Syndicate was on Earth 2 so, yeah, it makes perfect sense.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Superhero-related books, in general, lean on the "keep things secret at all cost" trope despite it making absolutely no sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lotus circle posted:

Superhero-related books, in general, lean on the "keep things secret at all cost" trope despite it making absolutely no sense.

Marvel's gotten a lot better about this, with only Spider-Man and Daredevil really fronting the "secret identity" front on the A and B-lists.

DC on the other hand still leans on secrets and secret identities because.... well frankly their entire brand ethos at this point seems to be "take whatever worked from the Silver/Bronze/Dark Age, add some modern aesthetics, darken it the gently caress up if it wasn't already (the Flash show is the notable exception that proves this rule), and call it a day."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

zoux posted:

Along those lines, it's not really surprising that Iris is completely rehabilitated as a character by getting in on the secret. The same thing happened on Arrow; almost every problematic character was fixed by bringing them into the inner circle.

Secret identities are just bad plot mechanisms but for some reason DC leans on it super hard.

I wouldn't say she's been completely rehabilitated, she just isn't in-our-face-completely-awful so far. She feels like a non-factor so far in the first two episodes other than the trust speech to Barry.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

mind the walrus posted:

Marvel's gotten a lot better about this, with only Spider-Man and Daredevil really fronting the "secret identity" front on the A and B-lists.

DC on the other hand still leans on secrets and secret identities because.... well frankly their entire brand ethos at this point seems to be "take whatever worked from the Silver/Bronze/Dark Age, add some modern aesthetics, darken it the gently caress up if it wasn't already (the Flash show is the notable exception that proves this rule), and call it a day."
Considering DC's latest output of new books, which involves a lot of new teen and young adult heroes, I'd disagree with you on that. But this isn't really the thread to talk about that sort of thing. Though that sentiment is certainly still true for their movie-line.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

I'm not sure it would fly with someone they just met, but I'm hoping the 8AM task force meeting is with everyone else on the team, "we've found it's easier this way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

I wouldn't say she's been completely rehabilitated, she just isn't in-our-face-completely-awful so far. She feels like a non-factor so far in the first two episodes other than the trust speech to Barry.

Well the fact that half of all the thread posts aren't bitching about Iris is a huge step forward.

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure it would fly with someone they just met, but I'm hoping the 8AM task force meeting is with everyone else on the team, "we've found it's easier this way."

At worst, I think she doesn't find out until the end of the season.

• Locked thread