Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah and I guess you can't take it when someone posts back to you in a tone that's not quite to your liking. So people should get banned for being rude to a ~regular~user, lol.

Nobody's getting banned. Also, if you don't like the posts you're reading, please take the time to press the Report button so that I can come review them in a timely manner. I try to catch up on all the threads every few days but life has been busy and this one was overlooked.

It seems like communications about why crates/pens/gates/etc won't work for you were lacking. You've since explained yourself and employed a baby gate so I think this discussion can be tabled for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It wasn't really directed at anyone in particular guys, yikes. Didn't even read any of the posts before

Here's my actual dog (left) with an awesome stray I took in for the night

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Nobody's getting banned. Also, if you don't like the posts you're reading, please take the time to press the Report button so that I can come review them in a timely manner. I try to catch up on all the threads every few days but life has been busy and this one was overlooked.

It seems like communications about why crates/pens/gates/etc won't work for you were lacking. You've since explained yourself and employed a baby gate so I think this discussion can be tabled for now.

I could probably also try to be a bit more civil, but I just didn't like how a few users here ganged up on others and bullied them for pages. I will report instead of this silly poo poo slinging from now on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Oh give it a rest. You're being pissy as a teenage girl.

This should go both ways.

lol for sure please be a sexist to triangulum. I wanna see what your intestines look like. great plan. go you.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Is there a way to report if you don't have plat?

also why

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dyna Soar posted:

I could probably also try to be a bit more civil, but I just didn't like how a few users here ganged up on others and bullied them for pages. I will report instead of this silly poo poo slinging from now on.

I understand. Crating can be a hot topic because it's common in some countries, illegal in others, and is in general misunderstood. I think both sides started out trying to be civil and things devolved rapidly.

Reporting is definitely the way to go if either party is unhappy with the direction a conversation has taken. :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
sorry i just cant get over the delicious irony of berating someone for crating their destructive dog and telling them to just train it not to, then coming into the same thread complaining that your dog destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of your stuff

:3:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

sorry i just cant get over the delicious irony of berating someone for crating their destructive dog and telling them to just train it not to, then coming into the same thread complaining that your dog destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of your stuff

:3:

I could quote that discussion for you, but I'm pretty sure I never told anyone not to crate a dog. I just told them that if that dog is having separation anxiety, it's better to try and train the dog than just crate it without any training. Separation anxiety is really hard on the dog, dude.

Basically only crate a happy dog was what I said. Do you disagree with that?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

wtftastic posted:

Is there a way to report if you don't have plat?

also why

Uhm... ask somebody with plat to report it I guess :downs:

Because he's taken and is using a piece of advice and that was the desired outcome in the first place.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

lol for sure please be a sexist to triangulum. I wanna see what your intestines look like. great plan. go you.

That guy has been a dick to me for pages and pages now. I apologise for the sexism, I take the girl part back. Pissy as a teenager.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

MOVE ON

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

I could quote that discussion for you, but I'm pretty sure I never told anyone not to crate a dog. I just told them that if that dog is having separation anxiety, it's better to try and train the dog than just crate it without any training. Separation anxiety is really hard on the dog, dude.

Basically only crate a happy dog was what I said. Do you disagree with that?

Dyna Soar posted:

Do you really keep your dogs locked in a small crate all day? Instead of like, training them not to be destructive or have separation anxiety?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Moving on, what are the pros of going full raw food instead of high quality kibble supplemented with some raw food? We have to give our dalmatian mostly kibble only because their protein intake is very strict.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XleOkGsYgO8 Look birbmod I brought you a song to sing? :shobon:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dyna Soar posted:

Moving on, what are the pros of going full raw food instead of high quality kibble supplemented with some raw food? We have to give our dalmatian mostly kibble only because their protein intake is very strict.

depends on who you ask tbh. some people say it will literally murder your dogs, others think it will cure all diseases and behavioral problems. when my dogs were raw fed, i saw a drastic increase in muscle tone, shinier coats, better skin, less "doggy" smell, smaller shits, and it saved me a good deal of money because a few of my dogs aren't easy keepers. if your dog has to be on a low protein diet, raw feeding isn't a great option but if you have highly active dogs who need a lot of protein it's fuckin great

raw fed dogs are buff dogs :black101:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XleOkGsYgO8 Look birbmod I brought you a song to sing? :shobon:

highschool flashbacks

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I guess i'll feed more raw poo poo to the fella and keep the girls diet as it is. For some reason raw foods are quite cheap here, cheaper than the kibble we buy.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
do your research before just jumping in to all raw feeding. lots of commercial raw foods are meant to be used as supplementation to a kibble diet rather than being fed alone. it's very easy to give your dog severe nutritional deficiencies if you don't know what you're doing.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Triangulum posted:

do your research before just jumping in to all raw feeding. lots of commercial raw foods are meant to be used as supplementation to a kibble diet rather than being fed alone. it's very easy to give your dog severe nutritional deficiencies if you don't know what you're doing.

I probably won't go full raw food, i'll keep it at least 50% or more kibble. The kibble we have, Golden Eagle Holistic Health is supposed to be very high quality stuff and should be fine on its own.

Here's my dogs:

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 14, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triangulum posted:

depends on who you ask tbh. some people say it will literally murder your dogs, others think it will cure all diseases and behavioral problems. when my dogs were raw fed, i saw a drastic increase in muscle tone, shinier coats, better skin, less "doggy" smell, smaller shits, and it saved me a good deal of money because a few of my dogs aren't easy keepers. if your dog has to be on a low protein diet, raw feeding isn't a great option but if you have highly active dogs who need a lot of protein it's fuckin great

raw fed dogs are buff dogs :black101:

I wonder if raw food would help Worf. He has a recurring irritated red area on his inner thigh. The vet thought it was seasonal allergies and it was controlled with prednisone for a while, but it came back (and went away again) recently and it's well past seasonal allergy time here in the frozen north. Seems like a food allergy is the next culprit. I'll have to talk to my vet about it.

plus then me n worf can be swole bros together.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
using raw feeding to treat undiagnosed medical problems is not a good idea. talk to your vet about doing an elimination diet if you suspect food allergies first - one of the more common allergens for dogs is chicken, which most raw feeders heavily base their feeding around.

i shouldnt have posted that pic now im bummed about how skinny fat vex is on kibble :saddowns:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triangulum posted:

using raw feeding to treat undiagnosed medical problems is not a good idea. talk to your vet about doing an elimination diet if you suspect food allergies first - one of the more common allergens for dogs is chicken, which most raw feeders heavily base their feeding around.

i shouldnt have posted that pic now im bummed about how skinny fat vex is on kibble :saddowns:

He just eats kibble now. I would definitely never do anything without talking to the vet first.

fun note: he was 22 pounds when we got him. He's 45 now. He hasn't really gotten any taller. Dude was malnourished as poo poo, and now he can do a 4-foot vertical to jump onto the bed.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can we have a multi-page long derail on dog park assholes?

That way we can be united against not goons being assholes.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
dont go to the dog park

problem solved

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Triangulum posted:

dont go to the dog park

problem solved

This is true, but sometimes there are good dog park people, but they aren't fun to bitch about.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Triangulum posted:

dont go to the dog park

problem solved

a-loving-men

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
In my neighbourhood the dog park regulars are either fat and obnoxious as hell or just really lonely and won't stop talking about themselves and their dogs. I'm never going there again.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
one of the things that really owns about having dog-aggressive dogs is not ever going to a dog park ever

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

one of the things that really owns about having dog-aggressive dogs acreage is not ever going to a dog park ever

ftfy

Oh your dog park is a whole acre, that's cute :allears:

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
there aren't any dog parks where i live

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Instant Jellyfish posted:

ftfy

Oh your dog park is a whole acre, that's cute :allears:

that too :3:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I like the dog park because I see cool breeds, like the lady with the xoloitzcuintlis

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
While taking Stanley for a walk yesterday we met an 8 year old mix who was blind in one eye. Her owner said she's really shy with other dogs due to the eye but her and Stanley were playing like they were both puppies. He was surprised how well they interacted.

Then he came home and crashed. It's crazy how fast he's growing. 14.5 weeks and 17lbs. 2 lbs heavier than our last vet visit 2 weeks ago. The worst part about puppies is how quickly they grow out of that stage. He's visibly bigger every week. I look forward to him being grown but the puppy stage is so loving cute.

And he's slowly doing better in the crate. Doesn't make a peep in the car anymore. Still wines and barks at night but not the thrashing like before. Bringing the crate near our bed definitely helped as did spending time every day making the crate a positive experience.

Puppy training class has started and he's catching on super fast. It really helped us to know what we were doing wrong and wow did it made a difference.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Are there success stories of leash reactive dogs coming to like other dogs? I want to work with a trainer who has a well behaved dog, but haven't started yet.

I'm just sad that my dog can't be buds with other dogs. Plus like all my relatives have dogs so it would be cool to bring her home for the holidays but right now I feel like that's a bad idea.

Haven't tried off-leash interactions cause I don't know anyone with well-behaved dogs and plus I'd just be worried she just doesn't like dogs in general. She's not aggressive though, just reactive to intense butt sniffs. Growls and if the other dog backs off the issue is dropped. So it would probably be OK. But would like to test in the most controlled environment ever.

Edit: it also sucks because there are so many people who have off-leash dogs in our public park where there are clearly signs posted to keep your dog on a leash. And they ALL run up to my dog no matter what.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2015

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dog park assholes are the worst

My Sidney is very old, recently neutered, and mostly deaf.
Mostly he's pretty chill and likes meeting another dog, having a butt sniff, and being on his way, but constant attention from another dog riles him up.
Last week another owner sat and watched while:

- Her dog bothered Sidney for ages;
- Sidney eventually started growling (because other dog had begun licking where his scrotum was until 3 weeks ago);
- My girlfriend asked the owner if she could call her dog back - she said "oh it's fine, he's just being friendly :downs:");
- I took him off to the far corner of the park, and other dog followed;
- Other dog still bothered Sidney, until he snapped at it (no biting, just a bark and snap)

And then came running over in a big panic.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? If your dog is annoying another dog, it's your responsiblity to stop that, right?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

my DA dog DOES have a few buds (two she will relax with, one she'll actually engage in play with) but she'd rather hang out with a person instead, even one she didn't know. a lot of breeds don't need or require time with other dogs as long as they get plenty of interaction with people, and in fact prefer not to deal with other dogs. your dog doesn't feel sad about not having "friends".

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

cloudy posted:

Are there success stories of leash reactive dogs coming to like other dogs? I want to work with a trainer who has a well behaved dog, but haven't started yet.

I'm just sad that my dog can't be buds with other dogs. Plus like all my relatives have dogs so it would be cool to bring her home for the holidays but right now I feel like that's a bad idea.

Haven't tried off-leash interactions cause I don't know anyone with well-behaved dogs and plus I'd just be worried she just doesn't like dogs in general. She's not aggressive though, just reactive to intense butt sniffs. Growls and if the other dog backs off the issue is dropped. So it would probably be OK. But would like to test in the most controlled environment ever.

Edit: it also sucks because there are so many people who have off-leash dogs in our public park where there are clearly signs posted to keep your dog on a leash. And they ALL run up to my dog no matter what.

I think it's possible. I think a more accurate goal for your reactive dog is to have him learn to tolerate the presence of other (polite) dogs. They don't really need a canine BFF, and some may never enjoy the company of other dogs, but most can learn to cope and co-exist. I think working with a trainer is a good idea. Just re-align your expectations a wee bit.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Sorry, being "buds" was just slang I used. I just want her to be able to be comfortable around other dogs because dogs happen.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
You're not the rear end in a top hat, its her responsibility to control her dog and your dog growling and snapping after being incessantly harassed is a completely appropriate response.

cloudy posted:

I don't know about being BFFs with other dogs, but teaching your dog to tolerate others is usually possible. All of my dogs are varying levels of dog aggressive and they coexist more or less peacefully together but none of them will ever enjoy the company of a strange dog. I don't think its super realistic to expect her to eventually enjoy strange dogs but she can learn to cope with them and you may luck out and find a dog or two she legitimately likes.

And i feel you on the leash issue, it's a nightmare for people with unfriendly/DA dogs. No words strike fear into my heart faster than "It's ok he's friendly" :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

dog park assholes are the worst

My Sidney is very old, recently neutered, and mostly deaf.
Mostly he's pretty chill and likes meeting another dog, having a butt sniff, and being on his way, but constant attention from another dog riles him up.
Last week another owner sat and watched while:

- Her dog bothered Sidney for ages;
- Sidney eventually started growling (because other dog had begun licking where his scrotum was until 3 weeks ago);
- My girlfriend asked the owner if she could call her dog back - she said "oh it's fine, he's just being friendly :downs:");
- I took him off to the far corner of the park, and other dog followed;
- Other dog still bothered Sidney, until he snapped at it (no biting, just a bark and snap)

And then came running over in a big panic.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? If your dog is annoying another dog, it's your responsiblity to stop that, right?

Yup. Other dog owner was being an rear end in a top hat.
Until Hana's recall is sorted out, she's only spends very limited time offleash. I normally take her to a fairly big park and I used to let her play with some of the other dogs there. After we changed trainer (and methods), I told the other regular owners that I'd prefer to work with Hana on her own and they're totally cool with that and will leave us to do our thing.
I occasionally do get the odd rear end in a top hat who will just let the dogs come over and wont pay attention at all that I'm working with a dog on a leash. Had one golden come over the other day that started snarling and growling and I was ready to give it a good kick, before it decided to move on (Hana maintained her sit all the time).
This is officially a on-leash area, although that is mostly ignored, once the various soccer/softball players have vacated the fields.