Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the skarp razor? heard about it on my magnetbox tv, rushed to my sorny labtop to bing all about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the skarp razor? heard about it on my magnetbox tv, rushed to my sorny labtop to bing all about it

it has a sturdy outer case to prevent "fall-apart"

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Soricidus posted:

$30k from all your backers is smalltime poo poo, chris roberts has taken more than that from single individuals

Yeah, but here not even kickstart gives a poo poo about it so they get to walk away without even needing to pay a lawyer. I'd call that smart than smalltime.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
even in a world where this skarp thing actually works as advertised that is the dumbest possible design for a handle

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
looks like the skarp razor company has outsourced their pr to the verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9518163/laser-razor-kickstarter-banned-indiegogo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

anthonypants posted:

looks like the skarp razor company has outsourced their pr to the verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/13/9518163/laser-razor-kickstarter-banned-indiegogo

"You gotta do better than that piss green video with a 2 minute shave for a wrist" - well, I'm sold!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
and probably thanks to the popularity of that dumb modular phoneblox idea, someone did that but for watches but with smart watches https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106691934/blocks-the-worlds-first-modular-smartwatch

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

that skarp thing sounds great, I'll buy it when it's a mainstream product which is never going to happen because I'm pretty sure physics are standing in the way of generating enough energy to cut the hair on my face with only 3 VDC at barely an amp

my seven-series top of the line Braun has enough trouble

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

anthonypants posted:

and probably thanks to the popularity of that dumb modular phoneblox idea, someone did that but for watches but with smart watches https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2106691934/blocks-the-worlds-first-modular-smartwatch

ughhhhhhhhhh

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's nontrivial to have two lipo's play nice with each other even matching at the factory... so in our first batch of modules let's definitely include an extra tiny battery sitting way at the end of a lovely connection!!!

in round 3, "air quality" is the first one. AQ sensors are my gotcha question for vendors promising a wide array of sensor types, there's nothing remotely CE friendly. the low end for good ones is $500+ industrial equipment

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

minivanmegafun posted:

that skarp thing sounds great, I'll buy it when it's a mainstream product which is never going to happen because I'm pretty sure physics are standing in the way of generating enough energy to cut the hair on my face with only 3 VDC at barely an amp

3 watts would cut hair just fine. total internal reflection is the problem, not available power. OPTICAL FIBER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

anthonypants posted:

can't wait to order more tide right from my watch

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

anthonypants posted:

maybe someone should make a good regular smartwatch first

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

minivanmegafun posted:

it also has to not burn your face

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

oh yes, i'm sure gillette wouldn't be interested in funding this outright and privately if it had promise.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

lol did you just brag to yospos about how nice of a razor you have?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sund posted:

oh yes, i'm sure gillette wouldn't be interested in funding this outright and privately if it had promise.

they just want to keep us down, maaaaan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

sund posted:

Gillette would buy the patent and sit on it cause their business is blade cartridges

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Only a real man can afford a razor that nice

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

Gillette would buy the patent and sit on it cause their business is blade cartridges

power the things with non-replaceable batteries

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

power the things with non-replaceable batteries

blades, razor-thin batteries that go into the handle. the branding makes itself

theflyingexecutive posted:

and just a plugin at that, no precisely weighted handle or foreign import blades with diamond trim tips

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BobHoward posted:

3 watts would cut hair just fine. total internal reflection is the problem, not available power. OPTICAL FIBER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.

nah it can work. total internal reflection occurs when you go from a high index of refraction material to a lower one so you can design something that will experience TIR when it is in air but won't when you put something with a higher index, such as hair, against it. this is actually used for rain sensors.

the problem is that there is no way to magically decree "only hair activates the light!" so anything with a high enough index would trigger it and get a few watts of laser power dumped into it. that's gonna hurt even if it is a wavelength that your skin isn't exactly super absorptive at.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

depends, does thin optical fiber degrade after being scraped across human flesh every day for a few months? if not, can it be to?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the star citizen of razors

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

depends, does thin optical fiber degrade after being scraped across human flesh every day for a few months? if not, can it be to?

yah fiber loses its optical properties rubbin on flesh for some months

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Not-worthless KS status:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agfa/agfa-and-something-weird

Think I might sling a few bucks this way, SWV have provided me with some quality entertainment over the years.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i'm not going to give that organization any money because their name is highly offensive. just because you say it in pig latin doesn't make it okay

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trig Discipline posted:

i'm not going to give that organization any money because their name is highly offensive. just because you say it in pig latin doesn't make it okay

scuse me it stands for Amalgamated Group of Faggotty Americans. theres nothing offensive about the abbreviation

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676993694/solu-a-new-breed-of-computing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Solu is a powerful pocket computer, made from wood,

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"There will be people who resist Solu. There will be people who disagree with what we're doing."

"This is a good sign. It means that we have set our goals high enough."

"There will be people who disagree with what we're doing. What really matters is that there are also those who do believe, who do want to do something special, who do want to have change in their life and make things better."

:allears:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
1200mAh
lmaooooo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

unpacked robinhood posted:

the skarp razor made a cool 4 million on kickstarter before they pulled the plug 20 hours ago

people were whining in the comments

they quickly relaunched on indiegogo and already made 130k

can't wait to get mine

i like how nobody thought that maybe the guys in their video should be clean shaven. show some confidence in their product

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cerv posted:

i like how nobody thought that maybe the guys in their video should be clean shaven. show some confidence in their product

if existing razors could tame their wild bristles, they would hardly need to resort to lasers now would they

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
remember: when they say "laser," they really mean "a thin metal filament under tension"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I watched a video of that thing and I can't wait to spend an hour shaving

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

what about a cheese grater that you hold into an open flame for a bit

FireShave™

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

what about a cheese grater that you hold into an open flame for a bit

FireShave™

text my balls

seriously my balls have wispy hair and there is no way to shave them

burning hair is also super awesome and that time i got super high and lit up the two hairs on my left nipple totally didn't make me retch

ungh bachooie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i shaved one of my arms with a normal razor one time while super drunk

it was so smooth after, like a woman's leg. very hot tbh. im super conditioned for that apparently.

• Locked thread