Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Oh, that's clever. Gonna have to try building something like that once I have room to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thirding the suggestion to use a circular saw. Honestly unless you have a panel truck or whatever it's called for your table saw, I'd have trouble seeing a table saw being safer than a circular saw for cutting a full-size 4'x8' sheet, just because moving the sheet through the saw would be so awkward.

Deedle posted:

Have the lumberyard cut things to size on their huge panel saw. That way you can stay well away from the saw.

Other than that a circular saw with a plywood "track" is perfectly safe and will make dead straight cuts.

Jigsaws aren't any more or less dangerous than a circular saw. Just don't be an idiot, wear appropriate PPE and use common sense.

Thanks; bought a 4" circular saw.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
A bloke over on the reddit wood thing posted a reminder that hand tools are just as dangerous when you're not paying attention

https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/comments/3ogmxk/psa_hand_tools_are_dangerous_too_i_made_a_huge/

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

MrPete posted:

A bloke over on the reddit wood thing posted a reminder that hand tools are just as dangerous when you're not paying attention

https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/comments/3ogmxk/psa_hand_tools_are_dangerous_too_i_made_a_huge/

I've never cut myself with a power tool, but I manage to bang myself up with hand tools all the drat time. Never as bad as that guy, thankfully.

Chisels are sharp!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MrPete posted:

Never don't keep pointy and sharp bits at your body
Always keep pointy pointed away.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

tater_salad posted:

Cut towards your chum, not your thumb.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

tater_salad posted:

For serious.

Also, take it from me: whatever you're doing with a chisel, use loving clamps to hold your workpiece down. Not your off-hand. I was very fortunate in just slicing a flap of skin of the outside of the heel of my off-hand, but it could have gone SO much worse.

And yeah, I find on balance that I'm much more likely to be careless with hand tools, power tools still terrify me just a little bit.

E: though how the poo poo he managed to gouge a hole down the middle of his forearm I don't quite understand. It must have been a WILDLY unsafe working practice somehow.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MrPete posted:

I have a 1/2" scar on my thumb from, of all things, a putty knife I was using to scrape glue off a floor. poo poo doesn't even have to be all that sharp to cut all the way to bone.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

For serious.

Also, take it from me: whatever you're doing with a chisel, use loving clamps to hold your workpiece down. Not your off-hand. I was very fortunate in just slicing a flap of skin of the outside of the heel of my off-hand, but it could have gone SO much worse.

And yeah, I find on balance that I'm much more likely to be careless with hand tools, power tools still terrify me just a little bit.

E: though how the poo poo he managed to gouge a hole down the middle of his forearm I don't quite understand. It must have been a WILDLY unsafe working practice somehow.

Yeah I tend to forget this depending on what I'm doing.. I'd I just want to square up a router mortise or drilled hole (really any straight up and down) I'm usually dumb and don't use a clamp. If I'm doing anything that involves sliding it's clamps.

I will say I need to be better about holding work pieces in the drill press with not my hands.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

thespaceinvader posted:

For serious.

I managed to put my chisel in my arm at pretty much the exact same spot as him. I didn't take pictures though.

I was trying to clean up on something that didn't quiet fit after I had just done all the heavy cutting and just didn't bother to clamp it because I was in a hurry and the piece sort of spun in place then fractured in half and the chisel came straight through it into my arm all before I could really process what was happening. I got extremely lucky that the chisel was sideways and passed between the 2 bones in my forearm without cutting any tendons but I still had to have my forearm immobilized for a while because wrist movement would tear the stitches. Trying to save 2 minutes cost me months of time and remains one of my most visible lessons learned to date.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I nick my fingers every once in a while and it always sucks. Nothing serious though.

Once, I just finished sharpening a heavy plane iron. 1/4" thick SOB. Put it in a home made plane and lifted it up to eye level to adjust it. The iron slipped out of the plane, cut though my heavy canvas pants, through my boxers, and just slightly cut my leg.

Luckily!!! It landed on the padded mats and I didn't have to resharpen!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My worst injury to date, a smashed thumb, happened at the drill press; and I even had the work clamped to the table. I've slipped using a chisel and cut my fingers to the bone a few times.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Now that we're on the topic, do y'all have videos to demonstrate proper chisel technique with lathes? Also care and sharpening; I bought the cheapest set on Amazon and it has not rained here in 100 days, they've been inside a cardboard box in the garage, and they're thoroughly oxidized. I use a 4" half-cylinder stone to sharpen, and it seems to do well but I'm pretty sure my technique could use some work/I wouldn't trust myself on better equipment. I almost prefer this to buying the good $70 set but loving them up in the process of learning.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Look up Brendan Stemp on YouTube. He has a bunch of videos that helped me, especially his skew chisel ones.

Get a grinder for sharpening chisels. They go blunt too quickly to bother with using a stone. I went and spent a few bucks to get a sharpening jig, and love it. A minute or two and the chisel is sharp and I'm back to turning.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tater_salad posted:

I bought a set of Ashley Isles carving chisels on closeout years ago, thought it would be cool to learn. I was leaning on one trying to clean out a cut and next thing I had 2 neat slices above and below my navel...right through the hoodie and shirt. Lemme tellya a belly wound does not take bandaids well.
I sold the chisels to another woodworker the next day for half what I'd paid...then regret set in

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My worst injury recently was on my ring finger knuckle that I sliced open and bled like a pig from, and that was from cleaning the sauna. The loving grille on the heater is sharp. I still have a huge bump on the knuckle and it was only recently I was able to remove my ring.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I don't think my hands are ever free of nicks and cuts from hand tools, and I know I've been lucky that some of them weren't way worse. I constantly try to remind myself to make sure the direction of force is away from my body and no other body part is in the way, but alas, it still happens. I really need a proper vice setup, that would make things so much easier and safer.

My last one that really hurt was with a chisel, but I don't really remember what I was trying to do. Basically the blade hit the front of my thumb and dug about 1/8" into my thumbnail, giving me a nice vertical cut on my thumb as well. A little lower and it would have missed my thumbnail and I would have split my thumb in half, at least until it hit the bone. I was using my thumb as a guide to start a saw cut the other night, it skipped and I gave myself a nice serrated cut down the side of my thumb. Didn't bleed nearly as much as a chisel cut, but poo poo did it hurt after a few minutes.

The day I start carving is the day I buy stock in band-aid.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Quick question about finishing.

I did a small walnut project that i really want to bring the most of finish wise. The flip side though is that it's going to be used quite a bit, so i also want to finish to be as durable as possible. I have a bunch of oil base semi-gloss and satin poly leftover from when I did my stairs, i know that's a durable option but i'm wondering if it'll bring the most aesthetically out of the walnut. Is there such a thing as laying down some danish or tung oil first, and then polying over that?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aliquid posted:

Now that we're on the topic, do y'all have videos to demonstrate proper chisel technique with lathes?

List:
http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/2014/03/learning-to-turn-on-youtube.html

Also, did you guys see the armillary by Carl Jacobson, I really want to make one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htxkt5GdapA

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I've nicked myself a few times with a chisel, thankfully nothing too bad and nothing before I started sharpening them on the jig that I have for kitchen knives (which works really well, but is awkward as hell to maintain an angle on with the chisels). I did manage to get myself with a kitchen knife all the way to the bone of my finger and caused my first ever seizure. Maybe the jig works too well in some instances. I really need a good work bench/more clamps. Both, really.

Speaking of work benches, what sort of general design(s) do you guys recommend. I saw that the height should be ~wrist height for planing purposes, ~24 inches in depth, but what about other dimensions and the general configuration?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Olothreutes posted:

I've nicked myself a few times with a chisel, thankfully nothing too bad and nothing before I started sharpening them on the jig that I have for kitchen knives (which works really well, but is awkward as hell to maintain an angle on with the chisels). I did manage to get myself with a kitchen knife all the way to the bone of my finger and caused my first ever seizure. Maybe the jig works too well in some instances. I really need a good work bench/more clamps. Both, really.
The Tormek gouge jig in the woodworkers kit includes a nice safe jig for securing and sharpening cutter heads ...it is dreamy :)

wormil posted:

List:
http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/2014/03/learning-to-turn-on-youtube.html

Also, did you guys see the armillary by Carl Jacobson, I really want to make one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htxkt5GdapA

I can feel my throat swell just watching all that walnut dust. that is a gorgeous piece.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Hello woodworking thread. I'm just getting into the hobby more seriously after building a few bits and pieces in the past (coffee table, dining table, TV cabinet) and having done a short intro course at the local trade school. I'm in the process of kitting out a workshop, and picked up a nice table saw/buzzer combo. However the table saw which is a much older model doesn't come with a riving knife, and I can't find anywhere that sells them or even ships them to New Zealand at any kind of reasonable price. As a woodworking newbie I'm deathly terrified of kickback hurling wood into my eyes/throat/chest/internal organs/etc and wondered if anyone knows anywhere to get a riving knife at a reasonable price and that would ship outside of the EU/US?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; bought a 4" circular saw.
Follow-up: What's the best way to use the saw, in terms of a surface to work on where the blades can sink below the work piece? A setup with a pair of 2x4s on the ground, and a flat/thin piece of wood on top as a table?

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Kerro posted:

As a woodworking newbie I'm deathly terrified of kickback hurling wood into my eyes/throat/chest/internal organs/etc and wondered if anyone knows anywhere to get a riving knife at a reasonable price and that would ship outside of the EU/US?

You might try buying a microjig splitter for the saw, I've heard they're a good upgrade for older machines. If your saw has the capability for a riving knife you might be able to just make one out of some aluminium or steel sheet and a hacksaw.

Dominoes posted:

Follow-up: What's the best way to use the saw, in terms of a surface to work on where the blades can sink below the work piece? A setup with a pair of 2x4s on the ground, and a flat/thin piece of wood on top as a table?
I've seen a lot of people use a piece of rigid foam insulation on the ground as a sacrificial cutting surface, might be worth a look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

I did basically this for cutting the plywood to build my workshop, except I used more 2x4s and no "table". You want to be certain that as you cut, the piece either doesn't move or falls away from the blade (i.e. the end of the piece close to the blade moves upwards, not downwards). Otherwise the blade can bind. If you only use two 2x4s then you probably don't have enough support, even with the "table" top (which could flex).

Anyway, I wouldn't characterize this setup as the "best", if for no other reason than that you generally don't want to be working directly on the floor (ow, my back). But it does work and requires minimal setup.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dominoes posted:

Cakefool posted:

I did all my long plywood cuts on the driveway with a handheld circular saw, 4 2x2s underneath (2 each side of the cut) and one clamped on top as a guide. 2 minutes setup, 10 second cut, quite safe.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks dudes! Simple and on the floor sounds like a plan.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Dominoes posted:

I do quite a lot of pallet wood reclamation, so I generally just put down a couple of euro pallets and saw in between those if I have sheets that are too large for my workmate.
Smaller sheets I clamp to the workmate leaving minimal gap for the saw blade. That way nothing but some sawdust can fall, minimizing the risk of binding the saw blade.

If you have no alternative to using sawhorses or 2x4s, use 4 of them. A pair on either side of the cut. If you use sacrificial 2x4s, put them perpendicular to your cut line.

Also there is no reason for the saw blade to protrude more than 1/4" beyond the work piece.
I.e. my track is made of 9mm ply, so if I cut 18mm boards I set the saw for a 30mm cut. I could leave it at 66mm but why the hell would I want the blade to protrude 39mm on a cut that's only really 27mm deep?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Anyone know of a good way to cut out a 2inch(diameter) half circle on the end of a board?

I bored 2inch holes halfway through a board, split it in half, then want to make slats that fit in to the half moon slots... I don't have anything that is exactly that shape to guide a router though. I made one by hand on the router, and that will do, but I need to make 20 or so of them and I was wondering if there was a better way. I basically want to invert a pattern... Figured there was a neat trick.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Can you drill them out on a drill press?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

bobua posted:

Anyone know of a good way to cut out a 2inch(diameter) half circle on the end of a board?

I bored 2inch holes halfway through a board, split it in half, then want to make slats that fit in to the half moon slots... I don't have anything that is exactly that shape to guide a router though. I made one by hand on the router, and that will do, but I need to make 20 or so of them and I was wondering if there was a better way. I basically want to invert a pattern... Figured there was a neat trick.

Do you have a router table or just a router? Because it seems like you could just do a couple passes over a roundover bit of the right radius using a miter sled set perpendicular to the fence of a router table.

Edit: or just stack them up and gang-saw them to rough shape using a band saw, if you've got one, then just sand the whole stack down to final diameter.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

bobua posted:

If you have a flush trim bit it's pretty simple. Make a half circle like you did before with radius 2"+ the diameter of your trim bit. Clamp some mdf over the semicircle, route it like you would any pattern. You now have a bit of mdf with a 2" round end that you can use as a pattern for your slats.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

MrPete posted:

I've seen a lot of people use a piece of rigid foam insulation on the ground as a sacrificial cutting surface, might be worth a look.

The advantage of a sheet of rigid foam over 2x4s or pallets is that it supports the edge, so you'll have a cleaner cut with less tearout.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Deedle posted:

If you have a flush trim bit it's pretty simple. Make a half circle like you did before with radius 2"+ the diameter of your trim bit. Clamp some mdf over the semicircle, route it like you would any pattern. You now have a bit of mdf with a 2" round end that you can use as a pattern for your slats.

This seems like the most exact way, does require that I make some sort of circle making jig for the router though. Really surprised there isn't a more clever way to do this:(

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kerro posted:

As a woodworking newbie I'm deathly terrified of kickback hurling wood into my eyes/throat/chest/internal organs/etc and wondered if anyone knows anywhere to get a riving knife at a reasonable price and that would ship outside of the EU/US?

Many older saws cannot be retrofitted with riving knives but you can use a splitter. We call them "accidents" but really it's cognitive dissonance between carelessness and the consequence. Injury is not inevitable, if you follow the rules for safely using your saw and avoid ripping green lumber, you'll be in good shape. Most importantly, never stand behind the blade while ripping and never put anything in the path of the blade that you want in one piece. I was taught to stand to the side when ripping so that if the board kicks, it will not hit me in the stomach, groin, or face. Going on 20 years I've been using a saw without a riving knife or splitter and no kickback. Don't get me wrong, if I could retrofit a riving knife I would, but that isn't an option and I love my table saw. The most common TS hazard over the years is pieces coming loose and flying backward, so wear safety glasses and don't stand behind the blade.

Here is a more thorough list:
https://www.tru.ca/hsafety/workinglearningsafely/work/tablesaw.html

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My old-rear end saw (1965) has the blade tilt toward the fence. Doing a 45° bevel that way on a piece of poplar is the one time I got kickback. Had a nice little profile of the bevel in my chest for a few days, glad it wasn't any worse than that. Now I stand to the side, and if I need to do a bevel like that, I put the fence on the other side of the blade, even though it means less table and no measurement for the fence.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Sointenly posted:

Quick question about finishing.

I did a small walnut project that i really want to bring the most of finish wise. The flip side though is that it's going to be used quite a bit, so i also want to finish to be as durable as possible. I have a bunch of oil base semi-gloss and satin poly leftover from when I did my stairs, i know that's a durable option but i'm wondering if it'll bring the most aesthetically out of the walnut. Is there such a thing as laying down some danish or tung oil first, and then polying over that?

I think the poly and oil based stuff won't mix well, so you have to pick one.

The real solution is to check the finish you want to try on a scrap piece and see how it looks.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Kerro posted:

Hello woodworking thread. I'm just getting into the hobby more seriously after building a few bits and pieces in the past (coffee table, dining table, TV cabinet) and having done a short intro course at the local trade school. I'm in the process of kitting out a workshop, and picked up a nice table saw/buzzer combo. However the table saw which is a much older model doesn't come with a riving knife, and I can't find anywhere that sells them or even ships them to New Zealand at any kind of reasonable price. As a woodworking newbie I'm deathly terrified of kickback hurling wood into my eyes/throat/chest/internal organs/etc and wondered if anyone knows anywhere to get a riving knife at a reasonable price and that would ship outside of the EU/US?

If your model never had one you might have to do some home improvements, but riving knives in general seem to exist in New Zealand - http://www.carbatec.co.nz/powermatic-thin-kerf-riving-knife-to-suit-pm2000_c22651

Without knowing the model its hard to say if it exists specifically for you?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I knocked together some 'rustic' display boxes for my wifes market stalls from standard pine and she wanted dark shaded finish on them.
Instead of faffing around with conditioner, etc, I decided to use gel stain (Varathane) and man, is that poo poo easy to use or what?.
Sure, it's not very authentic and it'll need a layer of poly as any dings/scrapes will show the original colour, but for once it was literally wipe-on/wipe-off/done.

This was just on a test box, but I'll post some pictures once I get the proper ones done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

MrPete posted:

You might try buying a microjig splitter for the saw, I've heard they're a good upgrade for older machines. If your saw has the capability for a riving knife you might be able to just make one out of some aluminium or steel sheet and a hacksaw.

Interesting - it's a pretty old saw, but it does have space for bolting on something behind the blade (I'm guessing given the age it was probably a guard of some kind rather than a riving knife but I really don't know). The microjig splitter sounds like an option if I can't find something else to suit.

wormil posted:

Many older saws cannot be retrofitted with riving knives but you can use a splitter. We call them "accidents" but really it's cognitive dissonance between carelessness and the consequence. Injury is not inevitable, if you follow the rules for safely using your saw and avoid ripping green lumber, you'll be in good shape. Most importantly, never stand behind the blade while ripping and never put anything in the path of the blade that you want in one piece. I was taught to stand to the side when ripping so that if the board kicks, it will not hit me in the stomach, groin, or face. Going on 20 years I've been using a saw without a riving knife or splitter and no kickback. Don't get me wrong, if I could retrofit a riving knife I would, but that isn't an option and I love my table saw. The most common TS hazard over the years is pieces coming loose and flying backward, so wear safety glasses and don't stand behind the blade.

Here is a more thorough list:
https://www.tru.ca/hsafety/workinglearningsafely/work/tablesaw.html

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll mostly be working with recycled rimu (a moderate density NZ softwood, I have no idea what an equivalent would be in the US) so certainly nothing green but the recycled stuff can have splits which made me wonder if getting a knife and/or guard might not be a bad idea. Standing clear of the saw blade and wearing appropriate protection seems like a very good start though.

Sylink posted:

If your model never had one you might have to do some home improvements, but riving knives in general seem to exist in New Zealand - http://www.carbatec.co.nz/powermatic-thin-kerf-riving-knife-to-suit-pm2000_c22651

Without knowing the model its hard to say if it exists specifically for you?

Oh sweet, not sure how I missed that. I don't know if they would suit my saw either, if I want to go that route I'll probably need to contact them and ask them.