Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Thin Privilege posted:

Yes that Crows Perch fast travel sign is bullshit.

Also gently caress being overburdened. I want money, which you get from selling poo poo, but you can barely carry anything so you constantly have to go to shops to sell stuff, and the shopkeepers don't have a lot of money so you have to go to multiple shops. And how loving slow you walk when you're overburdened (yes I know you can get on the horse). Oh and some shops won't buy some items so you have to sell them at another shop. And I can never find the pawn shop because it's not labeled on the map for some stupid loving reason.

At least Skyrim had houses with unlimited chest storage so I could hoard spoons and plates and food items just in case I needed them...

Buy saddlebags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What do you need cash for? I haven't been hoarding much, and it seems like a lot of the trash swords and weapons that random bandits will drop in Velen are not worth hauling back to the shops. I get the most money from killing beasts for rewards. But really, other than having to sell some silver things or trinkets because I need the cash to craft an item I haven't found it necessary. A lot of the weapons sold in the stores aren't as good as the stuff you can craft from diagrams yeah?
You can sell materials for decent money though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Thin Privilege posted:

Yes that Crows Perch fast travel sign is bullshit.

Also gently caress being overburdened. I want money, which you get from selling poo poo, but you can barely carry anything so you constantly have to go to shops to sell stuff, and the shopkeepers don't have a lot of money so you have to go to multiple shops. And how loving slow you walk when you're overburdened (yes I know you can get on the horse). Oh and some shops won't buy some items so you have to sell them at another shop. And I can never find the pawn shop because it's not labeled on the map for some stupid loving reason.

At least Skyrim had houses with unlimited chest storage so I could hoard spoons and plates and food items just in case I needed them...

The combination of a limited inventory and sellable loot drags any game down for me. It's an instant recipe for tedium. I feel like developers are putting limited inventories in games just because it's tradition at this point, and not because it's actually a good design decision that improves any aspect of the game. It only ever feels right in a game like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, where you can never sell anything so your decision on whether or not to pick something up is based strictly on whether it will be of use to you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hatelull posted:

What do you need cash for?

I never had enough money for all the bomb/potion recipes I wanted.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Thing I really didn't like about Witcher 3 was trying to play as an alchemy build. You spend more time in the terrible menus than in actual combat.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Buy saddlebags.

Have the maximum ones.

The Moon Monster posted:

I never had enough money for all the bomb/potion recipes I wanted.

Yeah there's the top level ones that the goat fucker sells that cost a ton.

Oh and gently caress making those goddamn runestones. There's 6 or more steps to making one and the steps are so elaborate and complicated and it takes like an hour to gather all the mats and go through all the steps for just ONE. Ugh.

hatelull posted:

What do you need cash for? I haven't been hoarding much, and it seems like a lot of the trash swords and weapons that random bandits will drop in Velen are not worth hauling back to the shops. I get the most money from killing beasts for rewards. But really, other than having to sell some silver things or trinkets because I need the cash to craft an item I haven't found it necessary. A lot of the weapons sold in the stores aren't as good as the stuff you can craft from diagrams yeah?
You can sell materials for decent money though.

Yeah the stuff from diagrams is kick rear end and way better than the expensive store stuff. Particularly the top tier. I can't remember because I haven't played in a few months but I think it costs money to have the armorer/smith make gear, correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Oct 14, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

She's a central character in the DLC out yesterday (that's not a spoiler, she was in the advertising.)

That was Shani? A gal from the first game, not the second. Unless I am mistaken.

kazil posted:

Thing I really didn't like about Witcher 3 was trying to play as an alchemy build. You spend more time in the terrible menus than in actual combat.

Alchemy build is so much fun and stupid overpowered though.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Oct 14, 2015

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Thin Privilege posted:

Have the maximum ones.

Yeah there's the top level ones that the goat fucker sells that cost a ton.

Oh and gently caress making those goddamn runestones. There's 6 or more steps to making one and the steps are so elaborate and complicated and it takes like an hour to gather all the mats and go through all the steps for just ONE. Ugh.

Yeah the stuff from diagrams is kick rear end and way better than the expensive store stuff. Particularly the top tier. I can't remember because I haven't played in a few months but I think it costs money to have the armorer/smith make gear, correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

i don't think i've ever bothered to care about slapping runes to any of my gear.

kazil posted:

gonna replay the game and try this build. i'm usually a sword guy with some signs to back me up but i never really give alchemy a chance in any of the games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Action Tortoise posted:

if you help berengar (i totally forgot that there was an ex witcher in the first game) he'll help you fight the salamadra guys who stole your poo poo from the beginning of the game. the last area is really dumb so you didn't miss out on anything.

They must have expected him to die during that fight, because there is no dialogue with him whatsoever if he survives. I guess there is a thin line between a poignant death and "wait, was that it?".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whenever I quit Skyrim (or it crashes) Steam insists on doing its cloud-sync thing, and for some reason it takes ages and you can't relaunch the game until it's done.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

Whenever I quit Skyrim (or it crashes) Steam insists on doing its cloud-sync thing, and for some reason it takes ages and you can't relaunch the game until it's done.

I want to say that you are able to turn the cloud-sync feature off on a game-to-game basis.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How on earth are people running out of inventory space in Witcher 3? Unless you're literaly stopping playing every five minutes to spam your loot all key all round every peasant's hut. Which would be my little thing dragging the fame down, if I actually did it...

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Triarii posted:

The combination of a limited inventory and sellable loot drags any game down for me. It's an instant recipe for tedium.

Same here. I'm sick of inventory sorting. Torchlight is the worst for this as you get very limited space which can be filled by the loot from a single wave of enemies and Money is relatively hard to get so I don't want to leave loot behind. There's no inventory sorting of any kind. The item storage chest also has far too little room (which is bizarre given it was made for the PC first) and I always want to keep potentially good equips for other characters and my current character's descendants.

I've complained about Sacred 2 before as the PC version has some weird item grid with items taking up different sized rectangles of space. Item sorting is especially annoying as it's drag and drop and there can be a lot of items to sort. The controls for it aren't even that responsive. The weird thing is apparently the console does have a list based inventory system so what the gently caress were they thinking with the PC version?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xoidanor posted:

Be warned that Last Light loves putting you into gauntlet scenarios (locking you into a big room with waves of monsters) which combined with the games ammo-scarcity system can easily put you into a no-win state.

What's a good difficulty level for Last Light that doesn't completely screw you on inventory? I was thinking of trying Spartan mode once I finished 2033 up but if it's an unfair slog I'll skip it. I did love the hardcore mode on New Vegas, I was hoping Spartan Mode would be more of that.

I do really like the currency system employs though. It was always weird to me how in Fallout games you collected bottle caps for currency when no one in an apocalypse would need bottle caps for anything. This isn't a lolbertarian rant about fiat currency but it really made no sense. What Metro does is have two forms of ammo, regular and military grade. Normal ammo is ok,l and easy to find. You could go through the game using nothing else but Military grade ammo is very powerful but scarce and valuable, so people use it for money instead of gold or bottle caps. You can hairs your military ammo so you buy more guns and upgrades but sometimes you'll be in a situation where you might have to use it and you have to do a balancing act between surging and literally shooting all of your money away.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Strategic Tea posted:

How on earth are people running out of inventory space in Witcher 3? Unless you're literaly stopping playing every five minutes to spam your loot all key all round every peasant's hut. Which would be my little thing dragging the fame down, if I actually did it...

Elder Scrolls syndrome. It's possible to pick up every piece of garbage in the game world, therefore I must pick up every single piece of garbage in the game world.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kalos posted:

Elder Scrolls syndrome. It's possible to pick up every piece of garbage in the game world, therefore I must pick up every single piece of garbage in the game world.

If you don't help clean up the world, it'll just get messy. I'm doing my part by making sure those swords aren't just left to rust!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Red Minjo posted:

I want to say that you are able to turn the cloud-sync feature off on a game-to-game basis.

You are but sometimes it resets when Steam updates. Same with auto updates. You can tell it to go into offline mode while it's uploading and click exit now to get out of it quicker.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Oct 14, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hatelull posted:

I think the Elf (Iorveth?) from the first game will show up in the 2nd one and maybe in the third? I guess it depends on the path you take in 2 and for me I hung with Roche and never even SAW the dwarf city where the Elves were slumming.

CONTENT: I'm in the middle of Velen and the thing MAINLY dragging Witcher 3 down for me (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before back when everyone in this thread was playing the game) is having to run to those drat sign posts for fast travel. Also, gently caress that sign post at Crow's Perch. I have to travel to it and then barrel through villagers with my horse to get to my drat stash or the armorer guy.

Also, 1000g to reskill. :(

if you're on PC you can use console commands to unlock travelling from anywhere

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Diablo 3. I am running out of stash space. I'm holding 2 sets for my Witch doctor, another 2 for the wizard, some ancient weapons for the Demon Hunter I plan to level, gems, crafting mats, 5 different things for the cube, 4 things for Hellfire gear, and some odds and ends for other characters.
Shared stash space is nice and all but some solo stash per character would be loving great.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Antioch posted:

Shared stash space is nice and all but some solo stash per character would be loving great.

It's called your inventory ;)

But seriously, I agree that the current stash space should be increased, either in size or by adding more tabs (Although more tabs would suuuuuck)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In Skyrim, I just fought the big evil dragon that's trying to destroy the world or whatever, and it could barely hurt me. The fight was still annoying as hell because it took ages and there was stuff exploding constantly, the dragonrend shout that's supposed to be this amazing anti-dragon weapon doesn't seem to have any real value at all (unless that particular dragon has to be on the ground to take damage at all? I couldn't really tell), there's a friendly dragon flying around getting in the way and making it confusing, and then at the end of the fight it turns out it was a waste of time anyway.

Then to top it all off, after that I went to do some other quest and got killed in one hit by a guy with a magic sword. Why is some random nameless dude infinitely more dangerous to me than the supposed biggest threat in the game?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

In Skyrim, I just fought the big evil dragon that's trying to destroy the world or whatever, and it could barely hurt me. The fight was still annoying as hell because it took ages and there was stuff exploding constantly, the dragonrend shout that's supposed to be this amazing anti-dragon weapon doesn't seem to have any real value at all (unless that particular dragon has to be on the ground to take damage at all? I couldn't really tell), there's a friendly dragon flying around getting in the way and making it confusing, and then at the end of the fight it turns out it was a waste of time anyway.

Then to top it all off, after that I went to do some other quest and got killed in one hit by a guy with a magic sword. Why is some random nameless dude infinitely more dangerous to me than the supposed biggest threat in the game?

Because level scaling is, and always will be, a lovely mechanic.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010): The randomly generated traffic during time trails, coupled with the fact that you receive a pretty severe time penalty for hitting said traffic. You can have your best run ever completely ruined just because the RNG decided to spawn a truck in a blind corner, or a minivan just beyond the crest of a hill, or two cars passing each other on a narrow road. Some of the time trails are pretty difficult as is, and losing just because you lightly tapped the bumper of a car that spawned in an unfortunate position seems really unfair.

Also, the game requires you to log in to a server, and was apparently made under the assumption that the server would never go down. It is currently down. This essentially means that you get stuck in the "Connecting to server" screen, with no way to cancel the connection attempt, and no "Cannot connect to server" error after X seconds. I had to Alt+F4 out of the game after a minute of waiting, since EA apparently never even envisioned such a scenario.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Tiggum posted:

Dragonrend weakens a dragon to the point where they're required to land and doesn't do any actual damage. The game specifically tells you this when you learn the shout.

That fight is still terrible and band, but you also can't read.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Oct 16, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

From Earth posted:

Also, the game requires you to log in to a server, and was apparently made under the assumption that the server would never go down. It is currently down. This essentially means that you get stuck in the "Connecting to server" screen, with no way to cancel the connection attempt, and no "Cannot connect to server" error after X seconds. I had to Alt+F4 out of the game after a minute of waiting, since EA apparently never even envisioned such a scenario.

I know that this is the :filez: answer but just crack the loving game. EA DRM was notoriously horrible before they launched Origin and the always online bullshit was part of that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
They never patched it into Origin? I tried to install Sims 3 via disc and it got patched to work with Origin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's really annoying in MGSV is how the loadout stuff doesn't really work right when you're playing someone other than Snake. Instead of choosing another secondary weapon they just leave the arm locked out. This is especially annoying if you were using a specialty arm before changing characters because even though they don't actually use it the game charges you the resource cost for the arm and since it is locked you can't change it without going back to Snake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kalos posted:

Dragonrend weakens a dragon to the point where they're required to land and doesn't do any actual damage. The game specifically tells you this when you learn the shout.

That fight is still terrible and band, but you also can't read.

I don't know how anyone can pay attention to more than about 10% of the dialogue/text in that game, there's just so much tedious bullshit. So is dragonrend actually useful at all then? Seems pointless.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sounds like it's useful in that it grounds an airborne enemy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Sounds like it's useful in that it grounds an airborne enemy.

I always just shoot them when they're hovering to attack. Actually, when they land it's often a pain in the arse 'cause they have to find a big enough area to land in, which often means you have to chase them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you're not heavy into archery or magic you're hosed without it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

muscles like this? posted:

Something that's really annoying in MGSV is how the loadout stuff doesn't really work right when you're playing someone other than Snake. Instead of choosing another secondary weapon they just leave the arm locked out. This is especially annoying if you were using a specialty arm before changing characters because even though they don't actually use it the game charges you the resource cost for the arm and since it is locked you can't change it without going back to Snake.

It's really annoying that they didn't make any kind of secondary item for other characters to use. Even if it was just like a knife or something. You even have a knife, you just don't use it ever unless you're murdering dudes.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

It's really annoying that they didn't make any kind of secondary item for other characters to use. Even if it was just like a knife or something. You even have a knife, you just don't use it ever unless you're murdering dudes.

There's really no need to make the knife its own item since whatever actions would need a knife are already in the voice command and cqc list.

The other soldiers should have a gauntlet that resembles the bionic arm but limits the abilities, like having sonar that lasts half as long on screen.

VV I'd be cool with that, too.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Oct 16, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Action Tortoise posted:

There's really no need to make the knife its own item since whatever actions would need a knife are already in the voice command and cqc list.

The other soldiers should have a gauntlet that resembles the bionic arm but limits the abilities, like having sonar that lasts half as long on screen.

They should just be allowed to have a second sidearm.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they should be able to dual wield pistols so you can pretend to be Ocelot

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RBA Starblade posted:

They should just be allowed to have a second sidearm.

Water and tranq pistol at the same time

Or dual revolvers.
Hell, they are giving Ocelot in MGO dual revolvers, aren't they?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm actually really disappointed you can't use the skull's machete.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can stick it on D-Walker.

Speaking of MGO, I really don't like how the class system works because you chose it when you first start and then aren't ever allowed to change it for that character. So if you chose something you don't like you're stuck with it until you unlock the other slots and then you have to start everything over from scratch with a new guy. The stupidest thing about it is you only get a vague description of what each one does with a couple of lines of text. You don't get to see the various perks or cosmetic options they each have.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how anyone can pay attention to more than about 10% of the dialogue/text in that game, there's just so much tedious bullshit. So is dragonrend actually useful at all then? Seems pointless.

Can you literally not bring yourself to read the descriptions of spells and shouts that you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Undertale's combat system. I went into it blind and while the story is great I'm seriously displeased with the combat.

Shmup bullet hell, really? It's certainly different, but it's also not fun for me, at all.