Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

It wasn't the greatest book ever, but it wasn't horrible. I'd probably pick up the sequel for cheap. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

Shadowmarch was good, a real page-turner. I was worried about liking it at the beginning (the chapters at the beginning introducing the Funderlings [Williams' dwarf stand-in] were very worrisome, but they became less goofy over time).

Starting Shadowplay now.

The Funderlings were some of my favorite characters and they have a pretty neat story arc too. I also really liked the Autarch a lot as a good ol' menacing villain. The pacing definitely reminds me a lot of Memory, Sorrow, Thorn; by the second book the characters have spread out a bit more so you'll be flipping around the world a lot. It's a very Tad Williams story, meaning a lot of crazy stuff happens as you go and there are a fair amount of twists. I enjoyed the series quite a lot, hope you do too!

I still haven't read the Dirty Streets of Heaven series he released, was waiting for the whole thing to hit paperback, but as I look at his wikipedia page I see he's going to work on a sequel trilogy to MST, so I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that! I loved MST and think it's one of the better straight-up fantasy trilogies around.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Dorcastle? I went there last Easter weekend, we bought fudge and went to the sheep farm. The wife got some really nice holiday snaps. Didn't know there were dragons, though. Maybe we'll go back next year.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
I really tried to read Vermilion but gave up at the halfway mark. It's a bad book.

The premise starts strong, but the plot takes an enormously long time to go anywhere, with characters introduced and then apparently discarded along the way. Despite the promise of old western ghost-busting said ghost-busting is rare.

The author also has a Thomas-The-Tank-Engine tic of constantly telling you how exactly what the protagonist is thinking and feeling. "Dialogue" Joe felt dumb and worried! The protagonist is naive -- not "likable kid" naive but "geez this is a dumb person" naif underscored by her molasses-slow emotional and intellectual reactions to things. There's clearly a push to make this a book about identity and inclusiveness but it's all handled clumsily.

I abandoned the book at the point where -- spoilers -- the charming guy she meets who is obviously a conflicted bad guy reveals that he is an near-immortal palling around with his gay vampire lover. They've spent several centuries killing people, up to and including owning slaves and eating the slaves. Despite all this Joe feels like it's hard for her to judge because hey, gays are oppressed too. Also the bad guy is telling her this and then letting her go with enough information to blow their secret operation because he feels a huge connection to her, for absolutely no reason I can tell. He's not attracted to her, she doesn't do anything interesting, and she has been feeding him lame, obvious lies the entire time. Also this revelation out of nowhere ruined any real mystery.

I assume the remainder of the book is spent taking down the bad guy, I don't know. I skipped ahead and saw a character named 'Zebulon' and I closed the book.

Bottom line is this is not a good book although it does have the best cover of all time that isn't Dinosaur Lords.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yes. I only managed to get through a couple of chapters before I deleted the book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't remember who recommended The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook, but I really enjoyed it. Are his other books any good?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't remember who recommended The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook, but I really enjoyed it. Are his other books any good?
Yes. Passage At Arms has a different viewpoint on space warfare, the Black Company is a great military fantasy series, a lot of people who aren't me like his Garrett PI fantasy detective books, and I've enjoyed most of the rest of what I've read.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I frankly hated The Dragon Never Sleeps and loved all of the Black Company so you might not find them all that similar.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you liked the Dragon Never Sleeps - which I loved -, you might be like me and somewhat sorta enjoy the first three or four books of the Black Company, but absolutely love things like Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'd definitely recommend checking out Passage at Arms and the Black Company series. I quite like Cook, and he is really prolific. I would recommend avoiding his Garret P.I. stuff

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 14, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

chrisoya posted:

Yes. Passage At Arms has a different viewpoint on space warfare, the Black Company is a great military fantasy series, a lot of people who aren't me like his Garrett PI fantasy detective books, and I've enjoyed most of the rest of what I've read.

Passage at Arms is so good.

It takes the whole concept of those shiny fresh clean spaceships of Star Trek and the like and shits all over it. The space ships in Passage at Arms are dirty, cramped, and hilariously unsafe. At the same time he manages to not make it sound too technical or preachy, it's just "this is how poo poo works", and it feels so much more, well, realistic. I hate it when people argue whether or not a book is realistic when its about loving spaceships firing lasers at each other, but Cook creates a world where the spaceships feel like something you can see modern day people build and fly, rather than these pseudo-magical things other sci-fi uses, with artificial gravity and giant windows everywhere.

It is also an absolutely unashamed "Das Boot" rewrite in space. It is so good. One of my all-time favorite sci-fi novels.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Don't forget the Shadowline/Starfishers trilogy. They're set in the same universe as Passage at Arms and they're good milsf. The first one, Shadowline, is a Norse-mythos themed take on free companies of mercenaries locked into a very personal struggle. A great deal of the book concerns warfare on the bright side of a Mercury-like planet; the rest is family fuckups and betrayals. There's some space combat, but it's mostly personal or land-based.

The two Starfishes books follow up a decade or so later with one of the sons of the main guy from Shadowline on assignment in Naval Intelligence. He and his partner handle a nasty situation on one planet, then get thrown back together on a long-term undercover assignment to infiltrate the Starfishers. They're a space-based splinter of humanity that have made a deal with the Starfish - semi-energy being living in deep space whose life processes produce the key component for the ftl radio that binds civilizations together. There's lots of spy stuff, some space combat, and Big Secrets In The Stars. Highly recommended.

A couple of short stories in the Winter Dreams collection round out the setting.

Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.

AEMINAL posted:

The Player Of Games looks very up my alley, loving what I'm seeing on the wiki page for "The Culture"!

Thanks for the recommendations, goons are the best when it comes to good sci-fi :)

I envy you reading Banks, and especially his Culture series, for the first time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the Cook talk, I'm gonna chime in as the guy who likes the Garrett PI series. The first book isn't anything special, but it'll get going - a series as long as that has got to have its ups and downs. While the individual stories are usually good, the real star of that show is the setting - Cook manages to develop his fantasy city and its place in the world in a very believable way throughout quite a few historical events (as well as a couple of utterly bizarre ones - aliens, anyone?) and shows how its affected.
My personal favorite book from that is Old Tin Sorrows, if you can't get into the first one, you might want to give that a shot.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 14, 2015

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Yuppie Scum posted:

I envy you reading Banks, and especially his Culture series, for the first time.

Speaking of which, I just finished Consider Phlebas, the first Banks novel that I have read.

that...got a little dark.

Really enjoyed it, in any case. Amazing that this was his first scifi outing, can't wait to see what he puts together in his later stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Speaking of which, I just finished Consider Phlebas, the first Banks novel that I have read.

*******that...got a little dark.*******

Hahaha. You think THAT was? :laugh:
Read through Player of Games so you can read Use of Weapons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't recommend Roger Zelazny's Isle of the Dead enough in this thread.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Hey all, don't normally post in here but figured now's a good a time to start as any. Just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. I definitely enjoyed it, as lacking in compelling characters as it was. I may get crucified for it in here, but I often find hard sci-fi authors are really loving good "idea" people, and those are often strong enough to carry me through a novel, but I'm never super emotionally invested in them. Is Echopraxia worth reading as well if I go in expecting something similar to Blindsight?

Also, does anyone have any recs for hard sci-fi that also has a really strong narrative and characters to supplement interesting ideas?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding the Cook talk, I'm gonna chime in as the guy who likes the Garrett PI series. The first book isn't anything special, but it'll get going - a series as long as that has got to have its ups and downs. While the individual stories are usually good, the real star of that show is the setting - Cook manages to develop his fantasy city and its place in the world in a very believable way throughout quite a few historical events (as well as a couple of utterly bizarre ones - aliens, anyone?) and shows how its affected.
My personal favorite book from that is Old Tin Sorrows, if you can't get into the first one, you might want to give that a shot.

The Garret books are enjoyable. Old Tin Sorrows is probably my favorite too, although I did like the most recent two books, Gilded Latten Bones and Dread Bronze Ambitions as well. They're pretty far removed from the rest of the series though, especially Gilded, and change the tone a lot. In the middle some of the books blur together a lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

Every time I start the Garrett Files I switch over to reading the Nero Wolfe books about halfway through.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

trip9 posted:

Hey all, don't normally post in here but figured now's a good a time to start as any. Just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts. I definitely enjoyed it, as lacking in compelling characters as it was. I may get crucified for it in here, but I often find hard sci-fi authors are really loving good "idea" people, and those are often strong enough to carry me through a novel, but I'm never super emotionally invested in them. Is Echopraxia worth reading as well if I go in expecting something similar to Blindsight?

Also, does anyone have any recs for hard sci-fi that also has a really strong narrative and characters to supplement interesting ideas?

Kim Stanley Robinson. His latest, Aurora, would be a good start.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Yuppie Scum posted:

Oh poo poo, it's that good? gently caress yeeeeeah, just what I wanted to find. Should I abandon Ann Leckie's poo poo for it? :)

edit: Jesus christ just found out about "2312" by Kim Stanley Robinson I wish I could read faster :gonk:

Goons, should I read 2312 first or go full on Banks??? Ahh. I'm leaning 2312 after I finish Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Halfway through it. Good idea or bad?

I really really like hard sci fi. Reviews say "read other KSR books before 2312", is this necessary?

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 15, 2015

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I really thought Aurora was all big ideas and weak on characterization, unless you count Ship.

Freya got a lot of development but it all seemed irrelevant, disconnected from her later behavior. She never really gets over her inferiority complex so much as she just stops having one. She's supposed to know the ship's population better than anyone but she has no particular insight into the political landscape; instead it falls to her father to predict an uprising based on his afternoon reading of history books. Devi has nothing to her personality beyond being a workaholic with a pessimistic outlook; she mainly exists to show how everything falls apart in space when knowledge is lost. Freya's father is a cardboard old man whose job is to dispense wisdom, and everyone else is even more one-dimensional.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Every time I start the Garrett Files I switch over to reading the Nero Wolfe books about halfway through.
Yeah, they do the same thing with building up Manhattan and are much better written. I'm finding Garrett is best taken in small doses - I read them about two books in a row, then something heavier. As unwinding literature, they are amazing.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

trip9 posted:

Echopraxia is a good book but yah it's the same style as Blindsight.

I wouldn't really call it "hard sci fi" but Gateway by Frederik Pohl has a pretty well developed main character and definitely fits the bill for "cool idea". Probably one of my favourites.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

trip9 posted:

This is pretty common and is the reason I think a lot of these authors (Niven and PKD come to mind) are at their best in the short story format; it's long enough to showcase a cool idea, but not so long that it bogs down in the lack of anything else.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Echopraxia really kind of fell flat for me compared to Blindsight which at least had the neat exploration of consciousness and self-awareness. All I took away from Echopraxia was re-covering some ideas from Blindsight and a lot of :words: about how primeval and backwards spirituality/religiosity is. The aliens make a brief appearance 3/4 through for like one scene and then the whole thing kind of peters out in a weakish ending. At least the dialogue wasn't as truncated and jargon-y as Blindsight so it read more smoothly than intellectuals barking turbo-wikipedia entries back and forth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

trip9 posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of any sci-fi writers who are actually good at characters - maybe Ian McDonald and William Gibson? But I'm not sure I'd classify them as "hard" sci-fi.

As a rule of thumb if you want really well-written, "literary" sci-fi it's better to read literary authors who deign to dip their toe in the genre pool. Margaret Atwood's Oryx & Crake is excellent (though I didn't care for the sequels). Also Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.

Edit - Also China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh has quite good character writing. And Under the Skin by Michel Faber, and Chris Beckett's Dark Eden books.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 16, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

trip9 posted:

I'm re-reading Zelazny right now,so I'm sortof on a kick for him, but at his best I think he qualifies here (though each book is a gamble; he liked to experiment and some of his experiments failed). Try Lord of Light or Isle of the Dead. Stars my Destination has a strong narrative and central character also. Le Guin is worth trying too, start with [i]The Dispossessed[/i[. All of those rec's are older-style SF though rather than modern authors.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

trip9 posted:

It's not particularly 'hard' sci-fi, but maybe Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know about character or hard sci-fi, specifically, but I find Harlan Ellison extremely engaging.

If you want both, try Lem's Solaris, perhaps.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 16, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Khizan posted:

It's not particularly 'hard' sci-fi, but maybe Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem?

I am not sure this is appropriate for someone asking for strong characters.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bunch of stuff in the UK Kindle daily deal today, including Luna (£9 off!) and (all?) the First Law stuff, Mistborn 1, Rothfuss.......

I added Luna to my wishlist after rsjr's recommendation on the last page, so I'd be a fool not to at that price.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 16, 2015

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Junkenstein posted:

Bunch of stuff in the UK Kindle daily deal today, including Luna (£9 off!) and (all?) the First Law stuff, Mistborn 1, Rothfuss.......

I added Luna to my wishlist after rsjr's recommendation on the last page, so I'd be a fool not to at that price.
Last Call is also in there, if anyone hasn't read Tim Powers' second-greatest work.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

chrisoya posted:

Last Call is also in there, if anyone hasn't read Tim Powers' second-greatest work.

Declare is less that £2 as well, not sure if its a flash sale or not but pretty sure I paid more than that earlier in the year.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

chrisoya posted:

Oh poo poo, there's actually a hell of a lot more than appears in the usual Kindle Daily bit. The 'Deal of the Day' seems to be SF and Fantasy Kindle books.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

I don't know about character or hard sci-fi, specifically, but I find Harlan Ellison extremely engaging.

If you want both, try Lem's Solaris, perhaps.
Make sure to get an eBook copy if you can - I don't know if there are physical copies printed relatively recently with the new (2005) translation, but the original translation was Polish > French > English rather than Polish > English and it really kind of shows. Lem's difficult for me even without the additional jump, although he's definitely worth it and one of my favorite authors.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Cool guys, thanks for the recs, I"m gonna check some of them out and will report back.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Leckie's top 10 favorite SF books. I thought this list was notable due to the complete and abject lack of Iain Banks:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/68381-the-10-best-science-fiction-books.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

I keep buying and reading the Garrett books, but I thought they went off the rails back when the space aliens showed up and the whole tricycle subplot hasn't helped.