Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reztes posted:

Biggest idiot I've encountered so far:

The biggest idiot is you firing torps behind friendlies. Don't do this. People expect you to NOT do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Dont launch torps where it would be possible for them to hit allies. Maybe he needed to turn back to dodge enemy torps and you cut off his escape, I've had that happen.

Basically, if your torps hit a friendly you're at fault period.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Except for the countless times I've had people launch from behind me and I've driven my boat accordingly. The nagging proximity alarm is a huge hint.

I'm not talking about firing in front of a teammate of course, but it's like some destroyer drivers see torpedoes behind them running perpendicular to their current course and insist on pulling a 180 to intercept. If they have to head back that way, probably do it away from the danger and not towards it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just don't do it.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Tahirovic posted:

this game is just so goddamn boring with all these idiots trying to outsnipe each other, the only fun matches I have are the ones where there's lots of brawling. guess it's time to abandon.

This is why I love playing as a suicidal destroyer. Zooming around at top speed, making crazy water circles and sinking cowardly BBs. I find I get better kills when I play this way and more XP overall even if I end up exploding than if I also do the silly water sniping everyone else is doing.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Reztes posted:

Biggest idiot

Yes.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Just don't launch torps behind friendlies period. What if that person suddenly needs to turn towards your torps in order to avoid citadel hit or enemy torps? You're basically cutting off your team mate from escaping certain death all the while expecting them to not turn into your torps.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

OK this is the dumb setup where this dumb poo poo has happened.

Boat A can go basically anywhere but red arrow and be totally OK and I would put him 100% at fault if his dumb rear end wants to go the least safe way ignoring ample warnings. Again people do this to me all the time too and I manage to not die, and 99% of other people also seem to be capable of not getting themselves killed too.

Like if someone doesn't pay attention and T-bones their ship into yours, they're the idiot, but if they essentially do the same to a torpedo, they're not :confused:

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 15, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I can't even remember the last time I accidentally team killed, but if a teammate is blocking my torpedoes and they don't move when warned (or a destroyer is intentionally blocking my torpedo lines) I deliberately torpedo them.

I hardly ever get torpedoed by teammates that were genuinely trying to hit the enemy, either, though pubs launching from 10 km outside their maximum range are a different story. If you're consistently getting team killed by players who are close enough to hit the enemy you're probably doing something wrong.

Basically most people you might accidentally team kill are idiots who deserve it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reztes posted:

OK this is the dumb setup where this dumb poo poo has happened.

Boat A can go basically anywhere but red arrow and be totally OK and I would put him 100% at fault if his dumb rear end wants to go the least safe way ignoring ample warnings. Again people do this to me all the time too and I manage to not die, and 99% of other people also seem to be capable of not getting themselves killed too.

Like if someone doesn't pay attention and T-bones their ship into yours, they're the idiot, but if they essentially do the same to a torpedo, they're not :confused:

It's one of those unwritten rules of the road. Kinda like not driving on the sidewalk :D

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

That would have been seven or eight kills and a probable win but a New Mexico managed to land two citadels from 17km out because I did a dumb and sailed straight for 30s.

Then my pubbie teammates promptly face planted.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just had an awesome game where the Matchmaker gave up and let the other team have a Midway while we had a Shokaku. Midway got 3000 base exp, confederate, high caliber etc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lakedaimon posted:

Just had an awesome game where the Matchmaker gave up and let the other team have a Midway while we had a Shokaku. Midway got 3000 base exp, confederate, high caliber etc.

I've been on the right side of it. It's pretty horrifying/amazing.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

James Garfield posted:

Basically most people you might accidentally team kill are idiots who deserve it.

They're probably zoomed in all the time in scope view, which would also explain a lot of the hilarious collisions into islands and other boats I've seen.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Which they blame everyone else for of course because clearly someone put that island in their way.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Aww yes, got both the RUS DD and the German CA:godwin:. I like the RUS DD quite a bit, its ballistics are pretty similar to the IJN DDs and it tracks and shoots a hell of a lot faster. The torps are still fairly lame, but at least they're there, and its an excellent option for when the chance arises.

The german boat is, well, a cruiser I guess. The triple turrets make it feel sort of like a Cleveland, and having torpedoes is always nice. If all the german CAs are like this, I suspect they'll be pretty strong ships.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

James Garfield posted:

I hardly ever get torpedoed by teammates that were genuinely trying to hit the enemy, either, though pubs launching from 10 km outside their maximum range are a different story. If you're consistently getting team killed by players who are close enough to hit the enemy you're probably doing something wrong.

I was in a match with an Omaha last night, who sat about 2-3 KM behind me and kept loving launching torps at an enemy about 10km ahead of me. I fired a spread back at him after the 2nd time, but I missed :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I've been on the right side of it. It's pretty horrifying/amazing.

It's pretty close to this when the enemy team has a Tier X carrier and you get dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoP62Emv5xk

Probably :nws: for war scene poo poo

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Carrier torpedo bomber hits don't seem to count towards torpedo missions ugh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fizzil posted:

Carrier torpedo bomber hits don't seem to count towards torpedo missions ugh.

All the torpedo missions I've had have specified whether it's surface ships or carriers, and all in one battle or cumulative across battles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

orange juche posted:

It's pretty close to this when the enemy team has a Tier X carrier and you get dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoP62Emv5xk

Probably :nws: for war scene poo poo

It's really funny when you get the guys in chat going on and on about how much of a huge shame it was the US 'dishonorably' battled the Yamato with cowardly carriers instead of a massive battleship engagement and how it was because they were afraid of how invincible it was.

They never make the connection that, you know, carriers dominated the theater for a reason and pretty much obsoleted the BB.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC the US actually did want to battleship fight the Yamato, it's just that the carrier commander (Mitchner I think) decided "lol no" and dunked it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Night10194 posted:

It's really funny when you get the guys in chat going on and on about how much of a huge shame it was the US 'dishonorably' battled the Yamato with cowardly carriers instead of a massive battleship engagement and how it was because they were afraid of how invincible it was.

They never make the connection that, you know, carriers dominated the theater for a reason and pretty much obsoleted the BB.

"Hmmmmm yes, let's engage the enemy on his terms and let him play his advantages, this is sound strategy expected of professional soldiers"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ArchangeI posted:

"Hmmmmm yes, let's engage the enemy on his terms and let him play his advantages, this is sound strategy expected of professional soldiers"

I managed to get a guy to start screaming at me about how accurate SS kill numbers were and how the west had to cover up their shame at how badly they were mauled by the brave SS when I added the Yamato could only have been more worthless if it was filled with Tiger tanks.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I managed to get a guy to start screaming at me about how accurate SS kill numbers were and how the west had to cover up their shame at how badly they were mauled by the brave SS when I added the Yamato could only have been more worthless if it was filled with Tiger tanks.

Did you refer him to Archive Awareness?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wdarkk posted:

Did you refer him to Archive Awareness?

What is that?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

What is that?

It's a blog from Ensign Expendable, who translates ex-Soviet archives and posts in the Military History thread in Ask/Tell.

It's also relevant to the subject at hand. I think he's done some stuff for Wargaming.

EDIT: That one doesn't have any tigers, one second while I find one with tigers.

EDIT2: Now with tigers.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 15, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, that stuff! I've seen a little of it, that's really good stuff. Thanks!

MattLochNessMonster
Jul 1, 2009
Playing this game inspired me to pick up the book Shattered Sword, which takes an in-depth look at the battle of Midway. If that book shows anything, it's how foolish it is to worship at the Temple of the Big Gun.

But until CV's can brawl, I'll stick to my BB

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Night10194 posted:

Generally, it's a lot of fun to troll the guys with the names like WaffenSS_SturmpanzerGrenadier_Liebstandarte. They're like Zeppelins filled with hydrogen and wehraboos, a very combustible combinations.

Also, when do the Russkie DD's and German cruisers drop?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The 19th. Or you can pick up one of each now by getting 4 kills in either main nation.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

The 19th. Or you can pick up one of each now by getting 4 kills in either main nation.

You get to keep the port slots and commanders they come with, but not the ships. :eng101:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

wdarkk posted:

IIRC the US actually did want to battleship fight the Yamato, it's just that the carrier commander (Mitchner I think) decided "lol no" and dunked it.

Even if the US had engaged the Yamato with battleships, it would've basically have gone: "There they are on our radar. We have a firing solution on the big thing. Now we push the shoot button until the big thing disappears or breaks up into lots of little things... and there it goes." It would've been no different than the battle with the Fuso and the Yamashiro. The importance and power of good, radar based fire control was ridiculous. US WW1 era dreadnaughts equipped with the latest fire control systems were scoring hits on their first salvos on the Yamashiro. The Yamato's end would've been pretty much the same thing. Shells would be landing on it before it even saw the enemy battleships, much less found a solution, and it would've quickly lost its ability to respond. The only real difference would be that it might last a bit longer.

Of course, even if the US sent a single WW1 era battleship to blast the Yamato to bits from a distance, fanboys would still be bitching about how the US dishonorably engaged at long range rather than a point blank slugfest.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Well apparently going North on Solomon Islands in an Omaha and beaching myself against the big island is the magic bean for 4+ kills, since the last two times I did it I got 6 and 5 kills respectively, and now own a Russian DD. Thanks for reading.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Weren't the Yamato's guns incredibly inaccurate in tests, too?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Even if the US had engaged the Yamato with battleships, it would've basically have gone: "There they are on our radar. We have a firing solution on the big thing. Now we push the shoot button until the big thing disappears or breaks up into lots of little things... and there it goes." It would've been no different than the battle with the Fuso and the Yamashiro. The importance and power of good, radar based fire control was ridiculous. US WW1 era dreadnaughts equipped with the latest fire control systems were scoring hits on their first salvos on the Yamashiro. The Yamato's end would've been pretty much the same thing. Shells would be landing on it before it even saw the enemy battleships, much less found a solution, and it would've quickly lost its ability to respond. The only real difference would be that it might last a bit longer.

Of course, even if the US sent a single WW1 era battleship to blast the Yamato to bits from a distance, fanboys would still be bitching about how the US dishonorably engaged at long range rather than a point blank slugfest.

Please don't be stupid in return and over-exaggerate. Do you know what the absolute largest advantage RADAR FCS had over sight based ones? It's called during night battles, which you may recall Surigao Straight was. You may also recall that they had a heavy numerical in every category, and the IJN force was already in disarray by the time the battleships actually opened up due to constant destroyer attacks. Given all the time and warning they had to prepare they also crossed Yamashiro's T, and the battleships that engaged her were of the same era - in actual fact they were all newer - with similar gun caliber and armor thickness.

Not to say Yamato would have won in a surface engagement with the US or anything - even disregarding the fact that the US would have massively outnumbered it, there's a reason more than a few in-depth analysis favorably compare even a single Iowa-class to it - but trying to say that WW1 era dreadnaughts would be pounding it into helplessness with abandon while it could do nothing in return is disingenuous at best. Remodeled WW1 battleships had neither the armor, armament or range to reasonably engage Yamato safely even with numbers. Because the only times a surface battle might have happened would have been at Leyte or intercepting it on its attempted beaching, and in neither case would WW1 battleships have been able to just calmly bombard it. In the first because it would have been an entire fleet engagement, rather than crossing the T of the tattered remnants of an abandoned secondary force(by the time they engaged Yamashiro, the only ships left were her, Shigure and Mogami), and in the second because it would have been a day battle, where Yamato both outranged and outpaced them.

People obsessing over "Superior German Engineering/the IJN equivalent" or whatever are definitely a thing, but sometimes it feels like the mocking gets a bit too prevalent or generalized. Because equivalents for other nations exist too, and more than a few of those who mock "Wehraboos" tend to swing to the other side of the scale - whether because they actually have that bias, or they are just overreacting. And in regards to WoT, there can be some truth to some of the complaints. Unless you really mean to tell me the gearbox on German tanks in real life was an actual major weakness that caused them to burst into flames at the drop of a hat. Must have missed that little issue in basically every show or document on them I've ever seen.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In any argument about armed force X in WW2 they are either highly efficient killing machines that could have won the war solo or they are useless to the point of shooting themselves when they aim at the enemy. There seems to be no middle ground. Doesn't help matters that even historians writing about it are sometimes highly biased and actual battle reports unreliable except when you compare them with the reports from enemy force and even then they probably have some margin of error. Just try to find out about the maximum distance a ship has hit another ship in actual battle and there are tons of claims and disputes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

It's a blog from Ensign Expendable, who translates ex-Soviet archives and posts in the Military History thread in Ask/Tell.

It's also relevant to the subject at hand. I think he's done some stuff for Wargaming.

EDIT: That one doesn't have any tigers, one second while I find one with tigers.

EDIT2: Now with tigers.

:D

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It doesn't matter whether the Yamato was a super battleship or helpless, it was outdated simply because why use a battleship when a carrier was a better choice. Japan basically spent years and years developing this super sword to fight with but that didn't matter because in the meantime the US was building guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I thought US 16 inch guns were accurate historically, but why do they suck ingame? :smith: