Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Do they not think to redirect flights around active war zones?

Now they do. But airlines can't be held responsible for deciding whether an airspace is safe or not - how would they know? So they generally rely on what the government/airspace owner tells them, and the Ukrainians said it was safe above FL320, so MH17 flew at FL330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
TWA800 is definitely up there in terms of bad final passenger experiences considering that after the nose blew off the rest of the cabin continued flying along for a good bit while on fire before crashing. Not that there's really a good final passenger experience...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Do they not think to redirect flights around active war zones?

Hindsight is 20/20 and several other airliners did redirect but airliners fly over conflict zones all the time.

Those zones just typically aren't slinging double digit SAMs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Exclusive mh17 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vxL1rK58MA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tsuru posted:

Realistically, the firing of the missile was probably an honest mistake by the operator, as from his vantage point the elevation rise of a fast airliner at FL300+ would be similar to a slower aircraft (AN26) at lower altitude, but there is still such a thing as 298 counts of manslaughter. But whoever he was, he has probably (been) disappeared long ago.

While I agree that it was probably an honest mistake, I doubt it was due to misreading the flight profile. That's a 3d radar system and it has various means of determining range. If it were an optical engagement shooting at shadows between dawn and dusk, I'd buy it, but not an SA-11 engagement.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Governor of Massachusetts issued a proclamation that the Collings Foundation is educational, as did the State House of Representatives.

That should pretty much be the nail in the coffin for the Stow council (and maybe those dumb anti-tank signs will go away).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Governor of Massachusetts issued a proclamation that the Collings Foundation is educational, as did the State House of Representatives.

That should pretty much be the nail in the coffin for the Stow council (and maybe those dumb anti-tank signs will go away).

ahahahaha if you think it'll shut up that bunch of NIMBYs

Also, a republicn governor and the 90% dem MA house agreeing on something is a loving miracle.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kilonum posted:

ahahahaha if you think it'll shut up that bunch of NIMBYs

Also, a republicn governor and the 90% dem MA house agreeing on something is a loving miracle.

Well no, I'm sure they won't shut up. But it's heading to court, and this will pretty much guarantee a win for Collings (not that it wouldn't have gone his way anyway).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
do you have a copy of the proclamation text? I don't see it on mass.gov

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Psion posted:

do you have a copy of the proclamation text? I don't see it on mass.gov

No, the only thing I have officially is from their Facebook page:

quote:

We are honored to receive a Governor's Citation "In Celebration Of Providing Over 35 Years Of Educational Living History Programs to the Citizens of the Commonwealth - AND - from the MA House of Representatives a certificate "In recognition of Providing Truly Educational Living History To the Citizens of The United States Of America" (Picture left to right: Hunter Chaney, Representative Donald Birthiume, Rob Collings, Bob Collings.

I was there, though, it's real!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People's reactions are funny.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avi...-air-drama.html

If the general public knew a tiny little bit about how these things go, they wouldn't panic when they see their airliner getting intercepted by a fighter jet flying very close. (They should instead panic when they don't see that their airliner is getting intercepted by a supersonic missile flying high above them and launched from a truck on the ground, but, you know.) If the fighter was there to shoot down the airliner it wouldn't need to be close, it's getting close because the pilot needs to check if everything's going all right in the cockpit. Or, instead of being afraid that the fighter is a Russian jet, they should be worried about what's happening onboard their own plane for an intercept to have been launched.

And by the way if the picture in the article is that taken by the couple as the caption describes, then they're wrong about the fighter type used for the intercept.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I also got buzzed by A-10s the past 2 days at the mountain I work on. Fun times!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cat Mattress posted:

People's reactions are funny.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avi...-air-drama.html

If the general public knew a tiny little bit about how these things go, they wouldn't panic when they see their airliner getting intercepted by a fighter jet flying very close. (They should instead panic when they don't see that their airliner is getting intercepted by a supersonic missile flying high above them and launched from a truck on the ground, but, you know.) If the fighter was there to shoot down the airliner it wouldn't need to be close, it's getting close because the pilot needs to check if everything's going all right in the cockpit. Or, instead of being afraid that the fighter is a Russian jet, they should be worried about what's happening onboard their own plane for an intercept to have been launched.

And by the way if the picture in the article is that taken by the couple as the caption describes, then they're wrong about the fighter type used for the intercept.

They were worried about it being Russian.. on a flight from Madeira (out WSW of Portugal) to Birmingham (which is in England that last I heard). They apparently know less about world geography than they know about recognizing fighter jet nationalities.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Colonial Air Force posted:

I also got buzzed by A-10s the past 2 days at the mountain I work on. Fun times!

Hi, this is my jealous face: <:reject:> I want to be buzzed by some A-10's!

...just not brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap'd

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Would you accept being buzzed by some F-35s?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Would you accept being buzzed by some F-35s?

Yes.

Actually I really wouldn't mind seeing one of those flying money pits toot around The Sound for a while. Or more Raptors. Or some Apache's even.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not even sure where the A-10s are flying from (but something in the back of my mind thinks the Vermont ANG has some?), but I'm pretty sure they're leaf-peeping.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Its the Mass ANG base that has a A-10 sq.

Edit my info is outdated i forgot the mass A-10sq got brac'd to someplace else.

Greataval fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Greataval posted:

A-ha!

Fuckin' Masshole leafpeepers! :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Greataval posted:

Edit my info is outdated i forgot the mass A-10sq got brac'd to someplace else.

Michigan.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

I thought they closed the michigan a-10 sq in 08 when they closed pope and eielsen to A-10s.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Greataval posted:

I thought they closed the michigan a-10 sq in 08 when they closed pope and eielsen to A-10s.

Nope 127th is still flying out of Selfridge.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/Ywesn5J.jpg

Awwwwwwww it's so cute

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

but....why???

edit:

nvermind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747SP posted:

The 747SP was the longest-range airliner available until the 747-400 entered service in 1989.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Never mind that. This is probably the awesomest 747SP in existence:

A9C-HAK, a Bahraini government ship. IR countermeasures, something something communications array, RR schwag, elevator, and almost every surface absolutely spotless white :allears:

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 15, 2015

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
747SuperPetite?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
A local church around here has one of those.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tsuru posted:

Never mind that. This is probably the awesomest 747SP in existence:

A9C-HAK, a Bahraini government ship. IR countermeasures, something something communications array, RR schwag, elevator, and almost every surface absolutely spotless white :allears:

Looks like a Nightwing E-4 747:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Bit fell off your C-3 mate

BBC News posted:

A pilot managed to glide his single-engined aeroplane to safety after the propeller fell off at 2,000ft (610m).

The man was flying between Bodmin and Roche in Cornwall when he was forced to make the emergency landing at a country club airstrip near Polzeath just after 16:00 BST on Wednesday. The club was evacuated during the landing. The pilot later had a glass of water there, said witnesses.

The propeller was recovered from a building site in Polzeath.

The pilot, Nick Chitterdon, said the aircraft is a vintage 1936 plane. "When the propeller went there was a loud bang and it disappeared to the left. I switched the fuel off and started looking for field to land in. I then remembered a private airstrip at a nearby golf course and it took sometime to glide down."

Eva Davies, one of the directors at The Point at Polzeath Club, where the aircraft landed, said: "We had a phone call from the fire service who told us to evacuate the building, which included the restaurant, golf club, health club, gym, changing rooms, and swimming pool. The aircraft was spotted by a few golfers as it came in. He was gliding down straight on to our airfield. Although he landed safely, within five minutes we had six fire engines, three police cars and ambulance here. They didn't know if he was injured. The pilot then came in and had a glass water."

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said: "Thankfully, he was obviously a very skilled pilot. The pilot has recovered the plane, and the propeller which landed in New Polzeath has been recovered by the police."

A spokesman from Bodmin Airfield said pilots were trained to glide in aircraft before "going solo" to prepare them for such incidents. The plane was an Aeronca. The incident has been reported to The Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

Glass of water followed by several large brandies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Guy almost endos in his Hurricane but gets it landed minus a tire (and probably half the wheel, judging from the sparks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3uMDlp2dw0

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

Still out there today, too, and they even "waved" to me today.

Everyone here said they're from Vermont, though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vermont only flies F-16C/Ds, MA F-15C/Ds, Maine and NH KC-135Rs, RI C-130Js and CT C-21As (AKA Learjet 35).

ANG units that fly the A-10 are the 104th out of Maryland, the 107th out of Michigan, the 163rd in Indiana and the 190th in Idaho, and the nearest A-10 units otherwise are the 74th, 75th and 76th* squadrons out of my birthplace of Moody Air Force Base in Georgia, with the rest of the fleet being at Davis-Montham AFB in Arizona (354th, 357th, 358th, 45th* and 47th* squadrons), Whiteman AFB in Missouri (303rd* Squadron), Nellis AFB (66th Weapons squadron and 422nd flight test and eval squadron) and Osan AB in South Korea (25th squadron)

*Reserve squadron

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Phanatic posted:

Guy almost endos in his Hurricane but gets it landed minus a tire (and probably half the wheel, judging from the sparks):

What happened here? Hydrolic failure lock up the right brake? The pilot was asking for fire trucks so he knew something was wrong.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kilonum posted:

Vermont only flies F-16C/Ds, MA F-15C/Ds, Maine and NH KC-135Rs, RI C-130Js and CT C-21As (AKA Learjet 35).

ANG units that fly the A-10 are the 104th out of Maryland, the 107th out of Michigan, the 163rd in Indiana and the 190th in Idaho, and the nearest A-10 units otherwise are the 74th, 75th and 76th* squadrons out of my birthplace of Moody Air Force Base in Georgia, with the rest of the fleet being at Davis-Montham AFB in Arizona (354th, 357th, 358th, 45th* and 47th* squadrons), Whiteman AFB in Missouri (303rd* Squadron), Nellis AFB (66th Weapons squadron and 422nd flight test and eval squadron) and Osan AB in South Korea (25th squadron)

*Reserve squadron

Well, this week they're in the White Mountains :iiam:

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Enjoying the contrast between Hurricane and the Dreamlifter in the background

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Bit fell off your 747 mate...

http://news.sky.com/story/1570057/part-of-planes-engine-falls-off-in-mid-air

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Decades of sanctions have not been kind to Iranian aviation.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Dollars to doughnuts someone got creative with an engine replacement procedure.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Linedance posted:

Decades of sanctions have not been kind to Iranian aviation.

Alereon posted:

Dollars to doughnuts someone got creative with an engine replacement procedure.

Mahan is not as badly affected by the sanctions as you might think, they even have some fairly recent equipment like A340-600's that they picked up for cheap. According to the internet they have 2 747-300's operational powered by CF6-50 engines.

Bits of CF6-50 turbine and exhaust nozzle also tended to fall off when these jets were still flying in the west, with the full benefit of western maintenance standards and acres of money and parts. A KLM jet famously lost parts of the hot section of one of its CF6 engines when departing from LAX, right over the beach. There has been an SB for this problem for quite a while.

AVHerald has more: http://avherald.com/h?article=48dd5158&opt=0

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tsuru posted:

Mahan is not as badly affected by the sanctions as you might think, they even have some fairly recent equipment like A340-600's that they picked up for cheap. According to the internet they have 2 747-300's operational powered by CF6-50 engines.

Bits of CF6-50 turbine and exhaust nozzle also tended to fall off when these jets were still flying in the west, with the full benefit of western maintenance standards and acres of money and parts. A KLM jet famously lost parts of the hot section of one of its CF6 engines when departing from LAX, right over the beach. There has been an SB for this problem for quite a while.

AVHerald has more: http://avherald.com/h?article=48dd5158&opt=0

Nice job landing with 2 engines.