Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Agony resistance adds literally nothing to the game except more time/gold grind and takes a wiki article or long forum post to explain. It's pretty dumb even when you understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Probad posted:

When is your line of branded peripherals launching?

I was hoping to be ready by the Christmas shopping season but its slow going because my dad won't let me use spray paint anymore after what I did to the driveway so I have to paint all of the mice with a brush which is a lot slower I have 5 done so far and one keyboard but the LEDs burnt out already

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

HoT in 9 days

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Probad posted:

Agony resistance adds literally nothing to the game except more time/gold grind and takes a wiki article or long forum post to explain. It's pretty dumb even when you understand it.

They should add more content that requires Agony resist to justify its cost. Maybe a whole open world zone with mobs that apply Agony.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Adhesive Gamin posted:

They should add more content that requires Agony resist to justify its cost. Maybe a whole open world zone with mobs that apply Agony.

Pulsing agony on spvp maps could also work.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Could use some agony resist for this thread.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

How did you read that and think I was melting down?

Rambling, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness 10-paragraph posts tend to come off as functionally identical to ranting diatribes most of the time, dude.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Schpyder posted:

Rambling, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness 10-paragraph posts tend to come off as functionally identical to ranting diatribes most of the time, dude.

I didn't really see anything that bad about the layout, personally

disclaimer: am dumb enough to read threads in D&D

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

LordAdakos posted:

That is a good idea.

Also keep in mind that both tang and shy peach are over 96% similar at a fraction of the cost, as per https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search?cloth=927743&leather=907646&metal=967841&sort=matcher

edit: Can you update the OP to include this helpful link for color matching for new players so they dont blow all their gold on one dye? https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/tool/dye/search?cloth=927743&leather=907646&metal=967841&sort=matcher

Sure, but that 4% makes tang look like hot garbage by comparison. It's sand dye now and it's sand dye forever.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 14, 2015

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

To be kind of fair to Diego the entire process of fractals and Agony resist is extremely unintuitive and I've also fallen into the trap of someone saying "hey come do a 10+ fractal" and scrambling to the TP/laurel vendor to get items that seem like they should work together but, in actuality, don't.

If the naming and gearing process was slightly clearer I'd be completely fine with it but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a whole lot of players who, upon hearing that they needed 10+ Agony Resist, went to the TP and saw that a +5 is however much gold and justifiably reasoned "I don't want to spend that much money just to do content I may not enjoy", or worse, did buy it and found it later that it was useless to them.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

I don't think anyone was ever unfair to Diego. As stated, many players - myself included - see the +1s and assume they are how AR works. Then when someone in guild chat invites us to our first 10+ we get to learn all about buying 5 AR cheaply from a fractal vendor and cramming it into our trinkets. It's not our fault, Anet are just bad at things. All of us go through it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Ascended gear is free if you gather the materials to craft it yourself.

edit: sorry, I was wrong. There's some crap you have to buy from the tradeskill vendors too, thermocatalytic reagents. might end up costing a gold or two.

Only if you assign zero value to the massive amounts of time this would require. I'm not sure how you can "gather" thousands of silk anyways other than buying it.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I don't think anyone was ever unfair to Diego.

Whoa, rude as hell

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mercurius posted:

Dude, just stop. I say you're trying to spread FUD about Fractals and ascended gear just because you don't understand the mechanics and decided to go off on a tirade half-cocked and you're still doing it, read your own goddamn post. New players who are trying to find information about Fractals might be scared off from even thinking about trying them from the incorrect stuff you're still posting which is completely unfair on them, particularly with the changes to Fractals being the preferred 5 man group content in Heart of Thorns.
I know you have a different way of how you play the game to most people but please try to remember that there are a lot of goons who read the thread but don't post in it and when you drown out pages of discussion with hysterics about how everything about fractals and Ascended armour is awful then those people who just read the thread might never decide to even try.

Please stop twisting my words. I did point out my way of playing being different then some people yes, definitely not different than most players though.

I picked apart what you posted against my aggressive horrible FUD, and agreed with everything you said where my arguments were wrong. Which was pretty much all of it. I noted very specifically the areas that really turned me off of fractals, but aparently not stated clearly enough that you have changed my view of fractals with these corrections of my misinformation.

I am a changed man, and no longer have a bone to pick with fractals.

Mercurius posted:

To reiterate: you don't need ascended armour to do level 49 fractals because you can get 55AR from a full set of trinkets+weapon if you infuse the rings and backpack (and you'll get the drops required to infuse the stuff doing up to 29 fairly quickly). There's a very minimal difference in terms of reward between 49 and 50 and we don't know what's going to happen with the fractal masteries at this point so just chill out.

Yeah dude, I know. I wasn't going out of my way to go further than the reasonably obtainable stuff. Ascended weapons are not easily or reasonably obtainable, same as the armor. Unless I'm so out of touch with crafting them that it is significantly less expensive than making a single piece of armor, my position on that has not and will not change. Because it isn't wrong to assume that most people, especially casual players, will be easily capable of grabbing the ascended armor and weapons to proceed in fractals.

AND THAT IS OK. You should have to be able to build yourself up to get higher and higher. It's rewarding content. It's not ok that the armor is designed to be a huge timesink/moneysink when it is not that much easier to obtain when performing fractals. The infusions are for fractals, trying to do ascended armor without fractals should take a long rear end time. But having it be the same of difficulty to obtain, sans the rare box drop, by doing the content it was created for seems like bad game design in my opinion.

I've repeated what you said that without armor and weapons it is still possible to get decently high in fractals, and that is good. I did so to try and help show that yes I was wrong, and you are right. That fractals aren't so bad. But face it, ascended armor and weapons are a lot more difficult to come by without RNG. I won't back down from that as it's true.

Mercurius posted:

You only need 10AR (which you can get in the accessories you can buy every 2 weeks of guild missions) to trivialise the damage in 10-19 fractals. You only need 25AR (either a weapon+3 trinkets, 5 trinkets or less if you end up with an infused ring) to do the same for 20-29. Again, anecdotally, I (and others like Cletus) have received more ascended gear box drops and fractal skins from 19 and 29 than we have from 49/50.

This is actually really cool! I was using a drop rate spreadsheet some guy posted on reddit for when I posted what I did, but it's all RNG in the end. If I'm wrong and ascended box drops are pretty easy to get early on, then good.

You know my big issue with fractals was never the AR. I didn't like the AR because it meant I couldn't jump in to help goons out who need more players and don't want to get pubbies, that's all. I do have a problem with ascended armor and weapons, but you have shown me that I need not worry about that for fractals anymore.

My real beef with fractals (WHICH WILL BE FIXED WITH HoT) is the time sink of the fractals itself, of which I will be an outlier to the norm due to my lovely horrible attention span. And also always having to play with pubbies because when I'm on and want to do fractals, typically no one else does. Makes stuff drag on, really sucks ect.

And so you don't call me out and FUD again I'll add a disclaimer for that last bit. Don't play with pubbies if you have to goons. Your experience may vary, but many times it probably won't be nice.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

disclaimer: am dumb enough to read threads in D&D

Get help.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

what the hell is fud?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lyer posted:

what the hell is fud?

What you put in your mouf.

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

ijyt posted:

Sorry is no one going to comment on the freaky burnt husk child on that dragon spawns back?

I'm still distracted by all the generally clashing colors and outfit aesthetics of the character itself, but yeah, wtf is up with that? Lore plz.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kitty Fantastico posted:

I don't think anyone was ever unfair to Diego. As stated, many players - myself included - see the +1s and assume they are how AR works. Then when someone in guild chat invites us to our first 10+ we get to learn all about buying 5 AR cheaply from a fractal vendor and cramming it into our trinkets. It's not our fault, Anet are just bad at things. All of us go through it.

There is nothing unfair to being pointed out where you are wrong. Honestly I had a lot of problems with AR that wasn't correct, and I'm glad I was shown this.

I mean now that I know this, I've figured out that once I get some rings I can have have 40 AR. Once I infuse the rings and get a couple +5 stackable infusions I'll be able to do 40-49 rank fractals with little issues.

Though I seriously won't bother increasing my rank until the fractals are seperated. It may not be a problem for other players, but it is for me. I feel like I have to add a disclaimer every time I say something that could be misconstrued to be against fractals now.

Schpyder posted:

Yeah but that's kinda how I post in general. I've become aware of it, and have been trying to stop doing it but.

Honestly I have always had to dump out my thoughts in one go since I was a kid, especially of it was in text. When I wasn't medicated, I would often forget what I was saying halfway through saying it. And if I tried to space things out, or get interrupted it was pretty much gone forever. It's a deeply entwined habit that's pretty loving hard to break to be honest.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Did this thread get moved to E/N when I wasn't looking?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I use the world vee world infusions in my gear so i can kill the guards faster

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't really touch fractals because the infusion system is loving dumb

welp, that's my story

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Is it even worth leveling a crating profession? Anything you can't buy?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Yeah there's a couple of special things like

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light_of_Dwayna

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Blades

And all of the ascended armor. Legendary weapons can be bought.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sometimes it's cheaper to level a profession to 400 than it is to buy the thing you want. also i think it's required for some things like mawdrey and/or legendaries

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I mean after a while, what else are you using your gold/mats for?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
You use gold and mats to buy cool skins because that is GW2 endgame. Also you can craft special backbacks which are pretty decent.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

TipsyMcStagger posted:

If you don't plan on making your own ascended/legendary gear you can safely steer clear of crafting altogether. There are some account bound crafting backpacks you can make that have some ok skins that you can't buy but that isn't compelling enough to level up a crafting discipline unless you REALLY like them.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
WvW reset is changing. https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-and-the-Heart-of-Thorns-Release/first#post5609875

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's good for squeezing out some extra levels on an alt if you don't feel like doing through the leveling process again.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Ever since I got the birthday blaster, i've been at a loss for why I even bother to keep max cooking on my toon.

The only reason I can come with is I think it's mildly funny to have max cooking on a Sylvari named Onion.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

This kinda blows.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It's not great.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Sinister and Celestial, and I guess Nomad gear is account bound by default. Not sure if you can get a full set without some crafting.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Yeah there's a couple of special things like

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Light_of_Dwayna

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Blades

And all of the ascended armor. Legendary weapons can be bought.

Ok, so are those armors good? chances are i'm going to be doing some pve with mostly pvp unless I stop playing. currently, i've found leveling to be the easiest when you do all the newbie zones and then story quest and then next newbie zones/etc. That's basically the crap grind i'm doing at the moment.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok, so are those armors good? chances are i'm going to be doing some pve with mostly pvp unless I stop playing. currently, i've found leveling to be the easiest when you do all the newbie zones and then story quest and then next newbie zones/etc. That's basically the crap grind i'm doing at the moment.

Ascended/Legendary stats are marginally better than Exotic so generally not worth it mechanically speaking, unless you're bored with nothing else to do or really really care about a ~5% boost. Mostly people craft the backpieces & legendaries for looks.

PvP your gear doesn't matter anyway. You can start doing that right now if you get bored of pve shenanigans.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Worth noting that while Ascended is only a 5% boost in raw stats, it works out to be a roughly 15% boost in DPS, which is pretty significant.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
If you're going for ascended the weapons will give you a bigger damage gain off the top than slowly crafting all your armor, though. Probably best to start with those!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

berserker is for nerds

make nomads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thoom posted:

Worth noting that while Ascended is only a 5% boost in raw stats, it works out to be a roughly 15% boost in DPS, which is pretty significant.
You sure about that? The weapons certainly give a higher boost because they have 5% higher weapon damage in addition to 5% more stats on them but I'm pretty sure the overall difference between full exotic and full ascended is still sub 10%.

• Locked thread