Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
How do you play the bagel? Do you just hang back and pick off people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I just got my Sherridan. ATGMs are a lot of fun. They're way more responsive and faster than you'd think.

You can also slam them into people's faces from 5 feet away.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BadLlama posted:

. I like that heavy huge rear end tanks can't spot as far as the scouts in this.

I, however, do not!

/shits up thread

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Raged posted:

How do you play the bagel? Do you just hang back and pick off people?

I play it the way I play other light tanks: Help your team break through enemy lines via supporting fire (in the Bagel's case, ATGM fire) and then zip around picking off weakened enemies/artillery/etc coming from directions they don't expect.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Feindfeuer posted:

Still I doubt anyone here would really oppose this, but everyone just realize that this is too much of a reduction to the grind to be ever implemented by any F2P publisher.

Well, you could only extend the benefit to premium accounts. That, or tie the choosable double to a time limited boost.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

How do you use ATGMs? I seem to miss a lot with them, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

I'm not upset about it, I just want people mad at me for being a goon rather than mad at me for stealing some WoT clan's name.

Who is mad at you? Did we all miss something??

It's your loot man and your reasons are perfectly valid, but FFS no need to be so toxic about it.

There is no need for this to turn into a mess over what clan is better because this or that. I'll fold CHAI and be done with it if this is where it is going to lead.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

demonR6 posted:

Who is mad at you? Did we all miss something??

It's your loot man and your reasons are perfectly valid, but FFS no need to be so toxic about it.

I think he was referring to the whole CHAI and GOON clan tags. He wants pubbies to be angry over the fact that they got shat on by goons not the dudes who took another clans tag... Or something

Also I'd really like an invite to any goon clan with space on the NA server - Stringbeans in game :argh:

e: vvvvv no no I agree completely, it's not like there isn't any way to platoon with different goon groups vvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 15, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Stringbean posted:

I think he was referring to the whole CHAI and GOON clan tags. He wants pubbies to be angry over the fact that they got shat on by goons not the dudes who took another clans tag... Or something

Also I'd really like an invite to any goon clan with space on the NA server - Stringbeans in game :argh:

I get it but we don't need to be at odds internally over which clan is better for :reasons: That is completely asinine even by our standards.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
To anyone unfortunate enough to be grinding the T-72A right now: One piece of good news, the turret of the Leo 2AV has 510 effective protection against AP, but only 310 against HEAT, your best heat round has 334mm of pen. Enjoy punching holes through hull-down Leopard 2 avs

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Ambaire posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet, but is the Begleitpanzer 57 completely OP or is it just me? Sure, it's a squishy light tank, but it has a gun that can do 12,000 dpm... 209 damage @ 67.5 rounds per minute... I suppose the caveat is it only has 140 pen, so sides and backs only.

Edit: Oh, it has an 8 round clip with 14s reload. Guys, I think I found the 13-90/batchat equivalent.

Edit2: Also, I think that view ranges in this game are absurdly short for a 'modern' tank game. I was just on the highway earlier and I could easily see traffic moving off an exit from a sign saying it was over a mile distant. That's at least 1500 meters. On the open sand/city/etc maps I think you should easily have 1km visibility. And for the airport map, why can't I see a tank moving across the runway 1km away? That's nothing.
It plays like a slow AMX 1390 that can only use stock AP ammo. Its damage LOOKS good on paper, but as a tier 5, you are going to spend a lot of time trying to shoot things that laugh at your penetration.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Dramicus posted:

To anyone unfortunate enough to be grinding the T-72A right now: One piece of good news, the turret of the Leo 2AV has 510 effective protection against AP, but only 310 against HEAT, your best heat round has 334mm of pen. Enjoy punching holes through hull-down Leopard 2 avs

Is there any way in game to see a breakdown of a vehicle's armor values against the various ammo types, or for that matter where weak points are in general?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Crigit posted:

Is there any way in game to see a breakdown of a vehicle's armor values against the various ammo types, or for that matter where weak points are in general?

Go to dealers, then right click on any of the tanks and click detail. It will give you armor values for front/side/rear and then under it will also be a multiplier will be modifiers. You take the armor number listed and multiple it by the multiplier to get the effective thickness.

Dandywalken posted:

I, however, do not!

/shits up thread

My highest tier tank is an AFV so I am biased.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Its hard to understand how the XM1 went live like this. Its essentially untouchable from the front by anything its tier. Like immune.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

BadLlama posted:

Go to dealers, then right click on any of the tanks and click detail. It will give you armor values for front/side/rear and then under it will also be a multiplier will be modifiers. You take the armor number listed and multiple it by the multiplier to get the effective thickness.

Thanks, I had no idea there was any right click functionality in any of the menus of this game.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

I get it but we don't need to be at odds internally over which clan is better for :reasons: That is completely asinine even by our standards.

There is no at odds. People can join whatever clan they want, and I'll keep GOONS a going concern. That's all.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Crigit posted:

There is a button with 3 lines on the right of the screen, click it to get some stats, then switch to the armor tab. It will let you switch between the different ammo types.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

NA invite please, ID is Gamesguy

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
So, since the 50/100 cap hasn't been fixed yet for existing clans, how much of a PITA is it to delete and try to recreate one? Is it worth the effort or should we just wait and see if they figure it out in the near future? I see a lot of people asking for invites on NA. Are both CHAI/GOONS full yet?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Inimicul posted:

So, since the 50/100 cap hasn't been fixed yet for existing clans, how much of a PITA is it to delete and try to recreate one? Is it worth the effort or should we just wait and see if they figure it out in the near future? I see a lot of people asking for invites on NA. Are both CHAI/GOONS full yet?

it's extremely cheap to form a clan in AW

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I like how almost nobody ever uses repair kits in this game. If you track someone at the start of the game, they'll just sit there while your whole team stops, aims, and buries them in ordnance.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

are russian hacks actually real?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
3 days in and I found the upgrade screen.

I like this game, the spotting can get a little annoying when your team isn't spotting poo poo, and most of the terrain is too bumpy to enjoy sitting in the back with a TD, but the early tier matches have still been fun and not goofy little turds shooting autocannons at each other.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

are russian hacks actually real?

Que?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In other news, and as a surprise to no one, PvE pubbies are universally terrible. Sheridan sitting in the open trading shots with the entire AI force and being obliterated? Check. T-72 sitting still 'tanking' enemy MBTs instead of peek and poke and dying as well? Check. It's .. ugh. At least I'm not penalized by terrible teammates quite as much as in WoT.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Apparently the devs haven't sorted out the issue where buying collectors on NA somehow dumps it on EU :psyduck:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
So between that, the clan cap bug, and the questionable bug fixes for payouts I'm starting to think the whole last patch was a lie.

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
has obsidian indicated any plans for like what battalions will actually do? like will battalions get to do some cool "battalion vs battalion" action in the future?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CatAteSeven posted:

has obsidian indicated any plans for like what battalions will actually do? like will battalions get to do some cool "battalion vs battalion" action in the future?

I think they hinted at some Clan War crap like WoT. I hope they don't do that and instead focus on the team battle type stuff WoT has started doing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is the tier6 BMPT Terminator really founders pack exclusive can't get it again? Because that is complete unmitigated bullshit considering what an OP tank it is. If I'd heard about this game one day earlier I could have gotten that pack...

Stannum
May 8, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Is the tier6 BMPT Terminator really founders pack exclusive can't get it again? Because that is complete unmitigated bullshit considering what an OP tank it is. If I'd heard about this game one day earlier I could have gotten that pack...

It's exclusive for founders for a year.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'd rather fight 3 terminators then an XM1. Terminators have no HP so you can just shoot them in their turrets for half damage gently caress it. They are easy to kill.

The turret traverse on the bagel can gently caress off jesus its bad.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 15, 2015

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Always shoot Terminators in the turret. That thing has like 30mm armor, it's weak as gently caress.

The thing only has about 1k health, so it doesn't even matter.

Pretty great in PvE since bots seem to aim for hulls more.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evil_Greven posted:

Always shoot Terminators in the turret. That thing has like 30mm armor, it's weak as gently caress.

The thing only has about 1k health, so it doesn't even matter.

Pretty great in PvE since bots seem to aim for hulls more.

The problem I have with T6rminators, especially in PvE, is that I autobounce unless I'm shooting that narrow flat strip on the front or the back. I've shot 400pen sabot at everywhere on their sides, never penned anywhere. And the turret is such a small target especially if they're moving a lot. I guess it's one of those things where when you're trying to kill it, it seems OP because you can't figure out where to shoot it but when you're driving it, everyone else read the super secret guide to killing your specific tank.

Speaking of which, you know the colorized armor thickness guides people made for World of Tanks? How long do you figure it will be until some are out for AW? Are they already?

Edit: Stuff like this

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The spotting mechanics in this are starting to wear on me. Being able to spot/be spotted through terrain and cover is terrible.

As near as I can figure, your tank has an invisible sphere projected around it and anything inside that sphere is auto spotted even on the other side of hangars on airfield. It seems to be around 50m.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 15, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The spotting mechanics in this are starting to wear on me. Being able to spot/be spotted through terrain and cover is terrible.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Just got my first #fuckgoons

Said games already ruined thanks to him and never got anything back.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Autocannon scouts are hard as balls to play in this game. Passive scouting isn't that great ( with few exceptions ), so you're forced to active scout. On some maps, this means charging into a good spot from the beginning and committing to it.

The problem with this is that people in this game respond to a nearby tank the same way my dog responds to a piece of meat being dropped on the floor. They will beeline straight at it, ignoring everything else, and lay into your rear end- which means you're hosed if they're an MBT and your autocannon can't pierce them.

More often than not, I get into a good spot, get some lights, and then a MBT yolos up into me. My team shoots him ( most of the time ), he loses almost all of his HP or dies, but I'm also left crippled or dead. Or you get trapped in a corner and you're forced to plink at things with AP, or whittle away small amounts of HP with HE.

I can't wait until I have a scout with missiles so I can at least give some MBTs an incentive to step off when I'm scouting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Agreed. The bubble mentioned may be a big part of it. But then again, this game also doesnt have a "Radio Range" like WoT tanks did which keeps you from sharing the entire map's spots. I'm not sure if thats for the best or not.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Agreed. The bubble mentioned may be a big part of it. But then again, this game also doesnt have a "Radio Range" like WoT tanks did which keeps you from sharing the entire map's spots. I'm not sure if thats for the best or not.

Radio range in WoT pretty much stopped being a thing after like tier 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
im sure with enough complaining they will balance it out (im still barely into t3 so I really dont know much about most of these complaints)

• Locked thread