Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't know if this got posted, but Chuck Mindenhall did an in-depth piece on Doug Crosby. Other than the sheer insanity of writing songs for the Cro-Mags and watching PPVs in Russian spas, the most revealing part is learning that Crosby's scores are always poo poo because he straight up made his own scoring system. How can an athletic commission continue to use him when he is pretty upfront about not following the 10-point must system that all of the other judges are using?

I'm surprised that in a story that at one point takes place at Renzo Gracie Academy and at another talks about the Cro-Mags, Harley Flanagans' name doesn't come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't know if this got posted, but Chuck Mindenhall did an in-depth piece on Doug Crosby. Other than the sheer insanity of writing songs for the Cro-Mags and watching PPVs in Russian spas, the most revealing part is learning that Crosby's scores are always poo poo because he straight up made his own scoring system. How can an athletic commission continue to use him when he is pretty upfront about not following the 10-point must system that all of the other judges are using?

Armchair intellectual thinks rounds shouldn't be judged independently. Gets told off in such an oblique way by John Danaher that he doesn't even notice.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

-Atom- posted:

joking about Ronda's dad who killed himself and Vitor's sister being kidnapped and murdered is cool but don't make fun of Mark Hunt

Hahaha oh Atom. There's a difference between insinuating that a man killed himself because of an outspoken and independent wife (which requires a modicum of wit) and you straight up saying that you hope mark hunt relives an abusive childhood or whatever unfunny poo poo you said which requires no wit, is not' making fun'. Please don't feel legitimately victimised.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sprecherscrow posted:

I'm surprised that in a story that at one point takes place at Renzo Gracie Academy and at another talks about the Cro-Mags, Harley Flanagans' name doesn't come up.

Metamoris East will have a knife grappling division. Also, any reason is a good reason to post Harley on a horse with a sword:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Aurain posted:

Grey underarmour man looks like a swole as hell Ross Pearson

If he's the big blockhead who's always in the cage for GSP's fights, I hate him

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This is going to be awkward because the main job of the White House press corps is spinning poo poo.

Post of the year

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

UFC Orlando tix go on sale tomorrow. I'll be buying ours right away. Really psyched for that card.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brain Curry posted:

UFC Orlando tix go on sale tomorrow. I'll be buying ours right away. Really psyched for that card.

How many people are going? We could collude to get tickets in the same spot.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm probably missing some background, and he probably did hit the lottery, but did Ronda's mom explain why her coach was a "bad person" and a "terrible coach", other than the fact that he wanted nothing to do with her for the first few months? Because it seems like that could be adequately explained in the culture of that and many other gyms at that time.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm probably missing some background, and he probably did hit the lottery, but did Ronda's mom explain why her coach was a "bad person" and a "terrible coach", other than the fact that he wanted nothing to do with her for the first few months? Because it seems like that could be adequately explained in the culture of that and many other gyms at that time.

hes armenian

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

gently caress yes! Nate Marquardt is back, so I can experience the disappointment as people around me realise that Marquardt's excellent highlight reel does not correspond to his abilities as a fighter.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

well big edmund (from glendale) has worked with some fighters who got noticeably worse while training under him, and rousey is his only homegrown prospect and she pretty obviously was going to be superstar no matter who she ended up with as a coach

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

hes armenian

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I didn't even think the original leave mark hunt aloooone post was real serious but I'm not gonna defend it if he doesn't want to.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

david carmichael posted:

well big edmund (from glendale) has worked with some fighters who got noticeably worse while training under him, and rousey is his only homegrown prospect and she pretty obviously was going to be superstar no matter who she ended up with as a coach

Who else has he worked with?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Jake Ellenberger and Travis Browne off the top of my head. I didn't think either of them looked any worse than usual though.

Edit: Probably Manny too but, again, he doesn't look any worse than he always has.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

david carmichael posted:

Seemed to me that Ronda's mom may have an additional bias in that she has made it clear that she very strongly believes Ronda should stay in her lane and land the quick armbar every fight. That might even be the correct strategy, but Ronda's coach is trying to work on her striking which Ronda needs to do to improve as a better overall fighter. Her mom seems to believe this is an unnecessary and dangerous waste of time for her and could tempt Ronda to go away from her strengths. In the absence of anything more solid, I think that's fueling a lot of her anger.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

Who else has he worked with?

manvel (he's gone back to gokur mostly now), travis browne, jake ellenberger (started there before the robie lawler fight)

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

manyak posted:

hes armenian

That's racist

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
jake ellenberger went from on the cusp of title contention to boring headcase pretty solidly under edmond's tutelage

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Jake Ellenberger and Travis Browne off the top of my head. I didn't think either of them looked any worse than usual though.

Edit: Probably Manny too but, again, he doesn't look any worse than he always has.

What the gently caress happened to Ellenberger? I remember there seemed a time when him, McDonald and Condit were all really good Welterweight prospects. McDonald and Condit are still cool and handsome, but Ellenberger is just falling apart. Is it just him not developing as a fighter?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Wasn't the first fight Ellenberger had working with Ronda's coach the one where he got demolished by KG?

e: Oh nope, didn't see it was already posted. It was the one where he got demolished by Lawler.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Skip My Posts posted:

That's racist
Laser accurate

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ronda's mom is just toeing the official Judo association line: take your sports own momentum, turn slightly and let it pass over its chance to be relevant again, and then spike it hard into the ground.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

david carmichael posted:

jake ellenberger went from on the cusp of title contention to boring headcase pretty solidly under edmond's tutelage

I'm not super knowledgeable about fight technique, so you could be right in that Ellenberger might look worse now, but if you're going by fight record, that's a terrible metric to quantify the level of coaching Ellenberger's getting. He's 1-3 in his last 4, but he was 2-2 in his last 4 before that. He's also just been fighting more top shelf opponents. I don't think he's gotten significantly worse, I think the division's just passed him by.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

JuanGoat posted:

I'm not super knowledgeable about fight technique, so you could be right in that Ellenberger might look worse now, but if you're going by fight record, that's a terrible metric to quantify the level of coaching Ellenberger's getting. He's 1-3 in his last 4, but he was 2-2 in his last 4 before that. He's also just been fighting more top shelf opponents. I don't think he's gotten significantly worse, I think the division's just passed him by.

actually he beat jake shields, who is objectively much better than robbie lawler

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JuanGoat posted:

He's basically been the same fighter as when he first got into the UFC. He never developed past being a gassy, big puncher with good wrestling.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that bad article about the bad judge who talks about jeso a lot made me think: remember when nate quarry couldn't cut off the cage against a broken footed kalib starnes who had completely quit, and he landed like 0 strikes and no takedowns in the third and he got like a 10-6 round or whatever

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
iirc starnes actually won the third round based on the unified rules as written

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

david carmichael posted:

that bad article about the bad judge who talks about jeso a lot made me think: remember when nate quarry couldn't cut off the cage against a broken footed kalib starnes who had completely quit, and he landed like 0 strikes and no takedowns in the third and he got like a 10-6 round or whatever

Kalib Starnes is a weird one. He had that rad brawl with Chris Leben, which won fight of the night, then two fights later he's responsible for one of the most infamous non-fights in the sport's history. And yes, Nate Quarry's utter lack of footwork was a factor.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really want GSP and Nick Diaz to be friends. That is a reality TV show I would watch. Odd couples are always a winning combo for entertaining television.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_A9MXZ9zAE

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

he would have killed shogun if he had two hips and you all know it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

good

e glad mark hunt got a special shout out

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Are there any fights planned for the Pacific NW anytime soon? Portland again would be awesome (missed 102 because of work), but Seattle is probably more likely. I'd love to get together with some goons for some decent seats next time it comes around (hell I'd even go for a, ahem, Bellator or WSOF card...).

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Man, MRSA is so nasty. I think I'm going to take a bath in antibacterial... wait gently caress

(but seriously this is a great story)

mewse
May 2, 2006

david carmichael posted:

david carmichael posted:

iirc starnes actually won the third round based on the unified rules as written

Yeah there was a different article a few years ago (I'm sure you read it) that describes how that fight completely broke the 10 point scoring system vs every other normal bout

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

The bad judge scored that fight 30-26 and the worse judge scored it 30-24.

Can anyone find these articles about the scoring in that fight?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Can anyone find these articles about the scoring in that fight?

I think this is the article I was thinking of.

quote:

A bizarre fight with an even more bizarre score, none of the three judges at ringside could seem able to make sense of it. In one of the strangest judgments in MMA history, one judge scored it 30-27 (meaning three regulation 10-9 rounds), one judge scored it 30-26 (meaning one round was 10-8), but the last judge scored it 30-24 (meaning all three rounds were 10-8).

FightMetric didn’t have much more luck. I never thought it would come to this, but the fight between Nate Quarry and Kalib Starnes actually broke the FightMetric system. The stats for this fight were so unusual that the system simply did not have rules in place to handle the scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Are there any fights planned for the Pacific NW anytime soon? Portland again would be awesome (missed 102 because of work), but Seattle is probably more likely. I'd love to get together with some goons for some decent seats next time it comes around (hell I'd even go for a, ahem, Bellator or WSOF card...).

They do need to come back again soon. UFC 102 was awesome, and the Henderson/Diaz Fight Night in Seattle was great fun. A couple of us went to Titan FC 35 in Ridgefield a few weeks ago and got on TV again, it was cool. If you are in Portland PM me.

• Locked thread