Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I took the mumble server info out a long time ago, I just never took out the link to get the software apparently. It barely saw any use at it's peak besides a small group of specific people, and at this point you're probably better off just using the CTS server if you find some people who want to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Boy, 24 hours into a new update and no one even posted about it. That is a death knell if I ever saw one.

Anyones, new update has some new dungeons and some Ranger stuff, 12 ranger looks like a much improved base for a build now, although it should make it harder to defend nerfing holy sword any further, which the devs have stated they still want to do.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was going to but it didn't seem like a very interesting one. We were playing last night! I'm just lazy about having to edit in the new stuff. U29 is supposed to be the interesting update. Epic Shroud and new set of quests. Plus epic Hound of Xoriat (...) and Tempest Spine (...).

Also it doesn't help that this was the Ranger patch but doesn't include Arcane Archer. Ranger has been unpopular for a long time.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Ins't AA getting updated in whatever the next mini-patch is? Or is that outdated/wrong news?

Also, ironically I'm currently the most active I've been in DDO in a year, but I'm on Khyber and playing through low level stuff with buddies (progress is super slow when you can only sorta play on weekends and not everyone is playing so if the wrong combination of people/too many people are on, we don't play ddo).

Has anyone played the new quest/is it decent?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They originally said it's in the .1 release but now it's sometime before U29. Which is still soon but it could be anywhere from a few weeks to 2 months.

And haven't had a chance to try the new quests in this or last patch, really want to but we're like 25 right now. Too high for Heroic and kinda sorta too low for the epic ones, especially if we wanna try EE (doesn't sound like we do, sounds like EE is even more damage for level 30 quests now, sigh).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Can I get an invite back into goonguild when someone gets a chance.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mailed you an invite!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Mailed you an invite!

Thanks! A friend wanted me to come join their guild but literally hours into joining there was already mmo drama so i backed out fast.

I TR'd into a warlock using your build advice. Seems pretty fun and minimal effort. Also being able to save against traps is hilarious, mostly because I dont expect it in the slightest as a wizard. I assume for weapons i just want SP stuff like crazy and nothing else?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup, gear wise you're looking for tanky stuff and fire/force/alignment primarily.

Sucks about your friends guild though 😠

[Edit] Didn't see you said Wizard not Warlock, yeah just whatever spells you're using mostly at the time.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 30, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Yup, gear wise you're looking for tanky stuff and fire/force/alignment primarily.

Sucks about your friends guild though 😠

[Edit] Didn't see you said Wizard not Warlock, yeah just whatever spells you're using mostly at the time.

Nah I said warlock. I was just saying my saves were mostly garbage as a wizard at least compared to the warlock and I've already got more resistance so its kinda nice to have some level of survivability. Also my 200 hams are working out well as a makeshift healing. Anything I should get log term or just wait until i can get scrolls of healing and go off that?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Heal scrolls, Cocoon for epic levels, Steal Life Force in Soul Eater.
I transitioned into a Aura build for EE with Shining Through and Mass Cure Moderate (using Angel instead of Shiradi) to add to Cocoon and Heal scrolls. Still not sure it's better than just being Blast focused, Valisti does fine. Also Evard's is holding up surprisingly well through High Road which can help cut down on damage, and Hurling rogues quickly.

Steal Life Force is usually enough in heroic levels though, as you won't take much damage when things just melt. And you'll have enough UMD to easily use Heal scrolls with no effort, which is pretty awesome. Warlocks are so cool.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm only level 4 so Ham + pots are fine atm. Plus a couple of cure light wounds wands. The class is legit fun to play. I'm kinda going with the aura + crossbow at the moment. I'm not sure if its better than blasting either but i figure with some custom made equipment its find until i get some really nice spellpower items.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My friends and I are getting in to the game and I want to be a sneaky stabby dude and if I can get some anime coolguy shadowy teleport abilities that's a bonus. Should I go pure rogue or what?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Pure rogue would work alright since you're with friends. There's no cool shadow teleport abilities that I can think anywhere sadly. You could also do Rogue/Monk multiclass if you don't mind using a staff instead of blades of some sort.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

First draft of the Arcane Archer changes are up.

Looks like some good changes all around, my biggest beef with Arcane Archers is their lack of Area damage if you can't line up IPS properly, but that's really more of a trade-off for their high single target damage I guess. They mention Force Arrow scaling, but no Inferno Shot scaling. Wonder if that's intentional or just left out, especially since Improved Fire Arrows do scale with spellpower.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
For the most part looks pretty meh. Not necessarily as a bad thing but nothing super exciting. All feel like positive changes while keeping your socks firmly unknocked off.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it's largely changes to bring them inline DPS wise with other builds given the changes and help them scale better into epic levels. I do think maybe they could add some form of stacking DOT -> exploding AE maybe.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 7, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh hey. Update 28.1 went up on Lamannia too, wish they'd mention that on the regular dev tracker so I don't have to keep looking to see if it's up :bang:
This adds the new Mabar event.

Items Post, these items have new appearances at least. And they're all ML1 except the augments.

ML22 augments that give +2 Spooky bonus to Int|Wis.
Silence of the Tasty Hams (Hat): Clicky of 1/day 1d6 negative damage buff to weapon.
Delighters Docent: Clicky of 25% spooky to spell crit damage for 90 seconds 1/day
Reveler's Regalia: Clicky 25% spooky to spell crit damage for 90 seconds 1/day
Hat of the Night Hag: 5% enhancement discount to mana costs
Hood of Unrest: 50% spooky bonus to dodge for 20 seconds that ignores dodge cap, 1/day
Long Broom of Mastery, Quarterstaff, Exclusive, Flaming Sphere 5 charges (1/day recharge)
Short Broom of Mystery: Club, Exclusive, Purple Faerie Fire 3 charges (1/day recharge)

Candy - Expires at the end of 2015 but can be used infinitely on a 10 minute reuse with a 5 minute duration. Do not share a cooldown with each other or Flasks.

Almond Coated Shadow Apple +5 Spooky to Melee Power, +10 Spooky to Universal Spellpower
Darkswirl Caramel Bite +5 Spooky to PRR/MRR
Almond Shadow-Spicy Candy: Apply to target 5 stacks of Fire Vul, and 1d3 fire damage per caster level to all nearby enemies. Acts as a staff. 10 minute cooldown
Sweet Cinnamon Cloud Spooky bonus to Dodge equal to your Listen score

quote:

Past events are not a particularly good indicator of what we're aiming for here, which is (for most of the items) a lower time investment than items in other events.

quote:

Especially with being Exclusive, it means players can be done with the event when they have all they want. This is a thing that we don't consider bad. Players should not feel compelled to play events and only events while they are turned on, or farm for "next time". It's entirely OK to be finished with them.
So loving true.

The event has you killing stuff in the public graveyard to get keys to get into the instances it sounds like, or you can of course buy the keys on the store. It also sounds like they might add some more stuff before it goes live. But requiring less time investment, and being able to be "done" with the event makes me happy. The expiring thing kinda sucks, but that's still a couple months of kind of overpowered buffs to play with. Also the Flaming Sphere Fan Club is pretty funny and shows off some uses of it I never knew (especially how scroll/item versions aren't considered tied to you and can be used in stealth distracting).

While I do think it's kind of lovely we only get stacking stats for Int/Wis, I love the people asking for them to make the event more of a grind, and add back in a huge raid. Keep that poo poo out of my DDO :argh:

[Edit]

quote:

We will be adding most of the "old Mabar loot" to The Night Revels. They will take new Night Revels ingredients to acquire. We are not adding tomes to the Night Revels event. Thanks for your feedback, all!

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 8, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I took a look at the AA changes again and it kinda makes me want to rebuild my AArcher. It was my first character and has all the associated problems that entails. My race, stat distributions, feat selections, etc etc are probably not the best/most efficient. It works really well specifically for my being so comfortable with the way the character is built and the playstyle it requires, but man I can really feel how poorly it performs at times.

Ah well, that's what alts are for I guess.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They're also looking at changing Manyshot/Thousand Stars.

quote:

We are considering changes to Many Shot and 10K Stars. We want a design that throws out fewer projectiles for server and client performance as missiles are actually expensive. We also want a design that doesn't require a doubleshot debuff.

Manyshot redesign: For the next 20 seconds you add your base attack bonus * 4 to your Doubleshot and Ranged Power. Using this ability places Ten Thousand Stars on a 30 second cool-down. (You no longer have a Doubleshot penalty applied.)

Ten Thousand Stars redesign: For the 30 seconds you add your Wisdom to your Doubleshot and Ranged Power. Using this ability places Manyshot on a 30 second cool-down. (You no longer have a Doubleshot penalty applied.)

Our goal is to make these abilities more efficient without reducing the overall DPS of ranged characters using one or both of these abilities.

And their overall goal when all this is said and done (whether that's now or 6 years from now for Archers specifically) is for both ranger archers and monkchers and even maybe pure elven monkchers to be useful/usable/competitive. They don't have a problem with monkchers, only with them being the clear best choice.

Which I really enjoyed my monkcher life and I hope this overall helps pure rangers out too. The extra scaling and stuff should help them stay competitive in the end game, especially if they tweak Manyshot so that they're not only good DPS with burst abilities up.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 8, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Awww gently caress that. All my procs!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I'm not super keen on that change from a fun perspective. I don't care (much) about DPS up or down here, but it's just like hitting Haste Boost, it's fun to see a billion numbers pop up. This also currently has the big downside that > 100% doubleshot isn't useful. It doesn't give a chance for a third shot, which isn't cool.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I'm not super keen on that change from a fun perspective. I don't care (much) about DPS up or down here, but it's just like hitting Haste Boost, it's fun to see a billion numbers pop up. This also currently has the big downside that > 100% doubleshot isn't useful. It doesn't give a chance for a third shot, which isn't cool.

Same issue with certain rogue builds who can blow way past the 100% doublestrike limit. Sounds like they're really dumbing down AA's to generic ranged DPS with the same ups and downs as melees which is pretty unfortunate. If I wanted more even DPS I'd roll a repeater rogue :/

I loved being able to drop bosses in under a second, re learning quests so I could time the boosts better, slayer/adrenalining a line of duders and also the bad stuff like low DPS when on cooldowns/out of adrenaline, getting rocks to the face from giants in Tor that'd always knock me down and the like. Was a fun unique play style and it'd be a big shame if that flavour went away.

DemonMage posted:

This adds the new Mabar event.

Mabar loot looks pretty baller, the hood of unrest looks amazing and will give certain builds melee/ranged immunity for 20 secs depending on how it stacks, Shadow Weapons could be cool if it stays on until you rest and the augs are also pretty nice especially since they're colourless. Been wanting nice gimmick staff like a broom or plunger cosmetic to go with my starter rags forever so I hope it looks good.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Upcoming Balance Changes. They're finally getting around to addressing a lot of problematic things. The idiots are of course whining about how that'll make everything worthless. I'm still not super keen on the manyshot change, but have to see how it plays out. The rest seems pretty reasonable all around, and fixes some wonky interactions that are bad for long term design (like IC doubling). Can't imagine the slight nerfs to Warlock scaling making them notably less effective really. They also did a good job of trying to explain about the changes before they go into the game and say they're open to feedback.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Disappointed by Manyshot "nerfs" (my procs!) and the eldritch blast nerfs. I just find it weird that the single target blast has the same spell scaling as cone. I guess instead of counting as the strong single target role, it counts as the longer range role?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it's basically for that rare case where you want to snipe something, but don't want to use Chain so it hits other stuff. Though swapping to single target for a boss wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't as slow/wonky. Half the time when I try and swap toggles and I'm busy hitting other things, it just ignores me doing that. Though that's not limited to toggles I guess, there's been many a time I've died because a heal just didn't go off when I hit the key.

And really the warlock scaling nerfs are more for balancing heroic than epic it seems, which makes them doubly silly. It's not going to hurt Warlocks much in either case, it's just going to make slogging through red named in EE even more annoying. Which is the real problem. They need to massively cut red named EE HP and change how they approach boss encounters in quest design. Design the encounter for EE, and then remove elements of the fight for Hard and Normal to make it easier. Instead of just multiplying damage/health by a billion. Trash isn't that big of a deal, but it's still irritating with a champion hits me for 700 damage in a single hit.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah I just don't ever play EE. it's just way too ridiculous. With careful play, my two man group can just do EH if we know the enemies well enough, but EE just scales beyond reason.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

We've been doing EE this life, finally stopped in Three Barrel Cove. Stupid Prove your Worth. That elevator is the dumbest thing, even if rogue hirelings exist, it's still dumb.

Precious Cargo on EE also not super fun, and we've done most quests except the last two updates on EE before anyways, so whatever. EH is more fun at this point.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Speaking of ridiculous poo poo, goddamn the mirror in terminal delirium.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I was getting the itch to play again and maybe finish up completionist, especially since the two lives I had left could have been a twf ranger and some kind of weird monk/cleric AA, but a massive set of nerfs like this just reminds me of how extreme the DDO developers hate their player base. What a giant gently caress you to the people who keep them employed. That IC nerf is loving garbage.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Goddamn are the drop rates on the items from Subversion(the quest with the Slaad/frogman) super low or something? Ran it 10-15 times without any named items dropping.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Hope you're just having bad luck, as that's part of the upside when they do BTA stuff is the drop rates are usually not total poo poo like droppable ones. We haven't done the new quests yet though so I can't speak to the drop rate personally.

Also the IC nerf is 5-10% less crit. It's not that big of a deal. And it fixes a long standing stacking issue that means they can better control DPS growth with weapons. The real world day-to-day effects are not going to be that great except maybe on purple named guys. Which is more an issue with the health amounts of red/purple named creatures that needs to be fixed in general. If melee are suddenly underperforming they can easily offset that with melee power scaling. And that's even assuming this goes live.

It's not a big deal. Let alone a gently caress you, or showing they hate people.

Really the bigger problem is that they're using 3.5 D&D base weapon stats, which means that 80% of the weapon types in the game are useless without modifying them so heavily they don't resemble the base item type anyways.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah we've run the whole chain twice and subversion a bunch of times and we've only gotten a single named item out of it (two-manned most of it and 3-manned subversion a couple times, so not as many potential loot rolls but still quite a few). Either we're astronomically unlucky or the drop rates are horrendous. I really hope it's the former otherwise they really need to review the drop rates.

Other than that I enjoyed the chain. Most of the quests are super short but decently interesting and there's a lot of new/different art assets and design. Also the fact that it takes place in four different locations means each quest doesn't feel "same-y" to the others.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

I like how noone seems to notice the biggest nerf in there. Armor no longer giving MRR, which was specifically added in as a way to stop everyone always splashing rogue/monk for evasion and give a second option to survive retarded spell damage.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I had that in my original draft of my post above, it's a really strange change.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Also the IC nerf is 5-10% less crit. It's not that big of a deal. And it fixes a long standing stacking issue that means they can better control DPS growth with weapons. The real world day-to-day effects are not going to be that great except maybe on purple named guys. Which is more an issue with the health amounts of red/purple named creatures that needs to be fixed in general. If melee are suddenly underperforming they can easily offset that with melee power scaling. And that's even assuming this goes live.

The percentage isn't particularly relevant, but rather the distribution of the impact that matters. It's a bad nerf because its effects are arbitrary and indiscriminate. It doesn't target anything in particular that's overpowered, but rather a bunch of items basically randomly.

Class features, too. For example, Swashbuckler currently can use about a dozen weapon types at nearly equivalent effectiveness. Now, just two (Rapier, and Light Pick). Everything else is worthless in comparison. Was it really so broken that a Swashbuckler could get good use out of a light mace? Also, sucks for anyone that crafted a Thunderforged anything other than Rapier or Light Pick.

This is the kind thing that makes a nerf feel like a "gently caress you"; when the devs render peoples stuff worthless when there wasn't any reason to target them, and it's just a side effect of something else.

If something must be done, it would be much better to simply delete the feat (and Keen) entirely. It's better to nerf evenly, than arbitrarily.

quote:

The bigger problem is that they're using 3.5 D&D base weapon stats, which means that 80% of the weapon types in the game are useless without modifying them so heavily they don't resemble the base item type anyways.

If they addressed this at the same time, then the nerf could probably be made OK. But that's just a fantasy at this point.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
The crit nerfs are completely called for and hilariously hamfisted. I'm all for not being "forced" to use expanded threat weapons, not so much if my choice remains between one of two rapiers. I'd probably be unhappy with the Divine Grace changes if I was interested in endgame content. And the armor MRR change is the dumbest thing. PRR bloat was an issue, MRR is now borderline unobtainable before endgame.

Besides that I'm happy with the Manyshot/10ks change. I always figured the classic Manyshot is the biggest factor keeping regular ranged dps down. Might make it rough for pre-revamp class builds, but looking forward to rolling around with an AA Ranger once I have the time for it!

Woden
May 6, 2006
+20 tactics for fighter from feats is retarded, Kenseis alone get +9 DC to tactics, Defenders get +3 from stance and Vanguards also getting a few extra tacticals and +3 to stun. That's +35 to one class on something that's a D20 roll, guess we're either going back to only monks and fighters being able to stun again or those feats being mostly useless like other fighter bonus ones.

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I had that in my original draft of my post above, it's a really strange change.

It's a really good change TBH, heavy armour is pretty silly ATM to the point my acrobat/paladin build last life with 90+ ref save and imp evasion wore it almost 100% of the time.

You can still get a lot of magic resistance elsewhere cheap or for free, like 15% ship absorption, 66ish resists, 9% elemental absorption from EPLs, specific absorption gear and of course 9 MMR from PLs and MMR gear. Melee damage is usually the annoying thing for me as a mostly melee player, but other than builds that need robes/light for their offensive abilities I don't really see much reason to not wear heavy.

Dodge is kinda alright now I guess, still more dangerous compared to stacking up PRR though as two big hits in a row will kill you from full HP.

eth0.n posted:

The percentage isn't particularly relevant, but rather the distribution of the impact that matters. It's a bad nerf because its effects are arbitrary and indiscriminate. It doesn't target anything in particular that's overpowered, but rather a bunch of items basically randomly.

Class features, too. For example, Swashbuckler currently can use about a dozen weapon types at nearly equivalent effectiveness. Now, just two (Rapier, and Light Pick). Everything else is worthless in comparison. Was it really so broken that a Swashbuckler could get good use out of a light mace? Also, sucks for anyone that crafted a Thunderforged anything other than Rapier or Light Pick.

This is the kind thing that makes a nerf feel like a "gently caress you"; when the devs render peoples stuff worthless when there wasn't any reason to target them, and it's just a side effect of something else.

If something must be done, it would be much better to simply delete the feat (and Keen) entirely. It's better to nerf evenly, than arbitrarily.

If they addressed this at the same time, then the nerf could probably be made OK. But that's just a fantasy at this point.

I'm still smarting from the khopesh nerf and haven't really played TWFers since that. At least if it's rapiers only from here on out I can just go with it rather than get some war hammers or celestias and then have TF come out and bury them, or get some non picks/rapiers from ToEE and then have to refarm. If Sev sees too many people using rapiers though I'm sure they'll get nerfed. :(

Also light maces are still ok, 16-20x3 with the new Pulverizer compared to 15-20x3 for rapiers. I hate using weaker weapons than I could be though so would hate it if I was a bard invested in maces.

Woden fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 15, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006

quote:

~ The changes to Improved Critical do mess up the balance for Assassins between kukri and daggers, and for Swashbucklers who can take enhancements to normalize weapon types. We are going to implement additional changes so that characters who have the Improved Critical feat will gain extra threat range for under performing weapons to maintain the weapon balance you have live using these builds.

Good, hopefully they'll add in acrobats/henshins too to compensate for not allowing them to go over 100% DS and having junk base weapons.

quote:

~ We have been reading with interest the concerns with named weapons that have increased threat ranges built in and how they interact with Improved Critical. This interaction is part of the design, as these threat ranges provided too much benefit previously. The fact that some of these weapons with lower level requirements were better than end game weapons highlights the problem fairly well.

Makes sense from a design POV but takes away some of the fun of those weapons, most of them got buried by ToEE/TF stuff anyway so not really seeing much point in this other than to remove some cool twink gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I guess someone might be happy:

https://youtu.be/CzHJg8KiVJU?t=26m50s

26:50 if it doesn't start right. Gnomes are coming. I'd much prefer a new class over race, it takes a lot of work to add a new race but doesn't usually increase build diversity much.

• Locked thread