Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think there's still a place for skillchains in MMOs. I thought Mass Effect's combos were essentially a streamlining of the concept, (admittedly down to just "prime" and "detonate" which is a little boring) but I think there's still a place for the mechanic in FFXIV.

Blade & Soul has something similar for getting interrupts/stuns/knockdown/up on bosses though it (usually?) only requires two steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It's not a proper skillchain if you don't have a bunch of nerds calling it "renkei" instead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Let's not kid ourselves, we play a FF MMO. We've all got a little weeb in us.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's also the group aggro where all the low level mobs around you rush to attack if you kill something that's way under leveled compared to you.

I envision it like them seeing the WoL as a giant dragon that just randomly came out of nowhere and slaughtered a fellow villager, makes me kind of sad to aoe the other low levels that are rushing for revenge in a gesture they know is futile

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Martman posted:

Also there's this strange mechanic where enemies can identify bad tanks and will never stay aggroed on them.

It's the healer's fault for casting regen before a pull in that case :colbert:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I knew I was going to get comments like the ones you all are posting none of your arguments have any merit..... Just because you are a casual player doesn't mean the ones of us who are not shouldn't have a challenge and yall should be able to get almost the same gear we get? If you want an easy game play console games. I strongly believe this game will not last nearly as long as FFXI has lasted.... Just look at the current character base and tell me people are not leaving. I took a break for about 6 months I come back all the people I raided with no longer log on. I dont see any familiar names. I am not the only one who feels this way. Unfortunately the people who agree with me already don't play. You all are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. You have to agree with me that Fire should not heal Ifrit....

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If I remember correctly, 1.0 at launch had a system similar to skillchains where you could "schedule" a combination of attacks with your party and depending on the type and order, the enemy would receive various debuffs. It was actually a lot less cumbersome than skillchains because attacks where broadly classified into like, "action of the same weapon type", "magical skill", etc.

Doesn't have a place in the game as it is today, though, since combat moves at a much faster pace.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 14, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Technogeek posted:

I knew I was going to get comments like the ones you all are posting none of your arguments have any merit..... Just because you are a casual player doesn't mean the ones of us who are not shouldn't have a challenge and yall should be able to get almost the same gear we get? If you want an easy game play console games.

This comes off as incredibly childish. Why does other people getting comparable gear to you make any sort of impact on your enjoyment of endgame raiding? "I worked harder and did a more difficult thing I earned this why should they have it too that makes me angry" is what I'm reading this as. Do correct me if I'm misunderstanding though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Technogeek posted:

If you want an easy game play console games.

He says while posting on the forum for Console Game Final Fantasy XIV. :ironicat:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think there's still a place for skillchains in MMOs. I thought Mass Effect's combos were essentially a streamlining of the concept, (admittedly down to just "prime" and "detonate" which is a little boring) but I think there's still a place for the mechanic in FFXIV.

Mass effect boiled down to no one ever doing these together, and the best classes in multiplayer could do the combo themselves.

Even in single player this sucked to do because you have to pause the game and have the ai do one part of the combo. Soldier for life!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Technogeek posted:

I knew I was going to get comments like the ones you all are posting none of your arguments have any merit..... Just because you are a casual player doesn't mean the ones of us who are not shouldn't have a challenge and yall should be able to get almost the same gear we get? If you want an easy game play console games. I strongly believe this game will not last nearly as long as FFXI has lasted.... Just look at the current character base and tell me people are not leaving. I took a break for about 6 months I come back all the people I raided with no longer log on. I dont see any familiar names. I am not the only one who feels this way. Unfortunately the people who agree with me already don't play. You all are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. You have to agree with me that Fire should not heal Ifrit....

If I was your English teacher I would give you an F for run-on sentences, unclear subjects, confusing language, poor topical flow, and then tell you to do this post over. I am not however. I am only some doofus on the forum so I can only say I totally lost the thread of your conversation. If you feel you have something to say I suggest you try saying it again only better this time. However I will add the caveat that what little I'm seeing in your post runs along the lines of "The game is going to die if the devs disagree with me, PS gently caress Casuals, they should be treated as leprous unpersons!" and fair warning but in my experience that usually means you actually haven't got something worth saying.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Technogeek posted:

ok ha ha very funny, which ridiculous whiny pubbie forum post was this sourced from

e: VVVV :smug: VVVV

loquacius fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 15, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tenzarin posted:

Mass effect boiled down to no one ever doing these together, and the best classes in multiplayer could do the combo themselves.

Even in single player this sucked to do because you have to pause the game and have the ai do one part of the combo. Soldier for life!

Untrue. ME3 eventually got that right by giving you dedicated hotkeys to have squad members fire off their combo skill.

Edit: I am now doubting myself, and must look to see if I didn't imagine things before I reaffirm my statement.
Edit edit: Okay, saw a screenshot of a part of the game I remember, yes, I remember you could bind a thing to make squadmates use their thing.

I can't speak to multiplayer, though. I couldn't stand the peer-hosted nature of it, and stopped playing very early on. It didn't make sense to, when it had the potential to be a better Warframe than Warframe, with objectives, roguelite map generation, and very satisfying fighting. Instead they just went with the GoW-style Horde Mode, and everyone crouched behind the console on Firebase White.

Omnicrom posted:

If I was your English teacher I would give you an F for run-on sentences, unclear subjects, confusing language, poor topical flow, and then tell you to do this post over. I am not however. I am only some doofus on the forum so I can only say I totally lost the thread of your conversation. If you feel you have something to say I suggest you try saying it again only better this time. However I will add the caveat that what little I'm seeing in your post runs along the lines of "The game is going to die if the devs disagree with me, PS gently caress Casuals, they should be treated as leprous unpersons!" and fair warning but in my experience that usually means you actually haven't got something worth saying.

PS: Technogeek runs @FF14Forums.txt. Anything he/she posts in this thread, is probably a copy-paste from the OF, and not actually anything of his/her own writing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 15, 2015

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

ok ha ha very funny, which ridiculous whiny pubbie forum post was this sourced from

Honestly, the entire thread is magical.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm amazed how people can't seem to notice that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

:monocle:

I knew it had to be from there, but I wanted to believe

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SwissArmyDruid posted:

PS: Technogeek runs @FF14Forums.txt. Anything he/she posts in this thread, is probably a copy-paste from the OF, and not actually anything of his/her own writing.

Well that was embarassing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
To be fair, they *could* stand to be enclosed in quote tags.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

To be fair, they *could* stand to be enclosed in quote tags.

They could, but that's less fun.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The percentage of this game is clearly not what it states and its been frustrating ever since the start of FF14. I assume the game was designed to appear favorable but is in fact a gil or time sink, hidden by ''probability''.

Roll a dice with 100 sides and I swear to you you'll very rarely get that 5% be it negative or positive, even less chances to get 2 in a row. And look at the materia system. 33% means you should in theory win 3 times out of 10 but failing 20 times in a row is obviously a problem no matter how unlucky you are. Seeing the high number of people fail the same amount is obvious that the system cheats itself.

In my opinion, consider the amount stated to be about 10% to 20% lesser than what it states.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

megalodong posted:

The percentage of this game is clearly not what it states and its been frustrating ever since the start of FF14. I assume the game was designed to appear favorable but is in fact a gil or time sink, hidden by ''probability''.

Roll a dice with 100 sides and I swear to you you'll very rarely get that 5% be it negative or positive, even less chances to get 2 in a row. And look at the materia system. 33% means you should in theory win 3 times out of 10 but failing 20 times in a row is obviously a problem no matter how unlucky you are. Seeing the high number of people fail the same amount is obvious that the system cheats itself.

In my opinion, consider the amount stated to be about 10% to 20% lesser than what it states.

People are bad at probability, news at 11.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

Then don't DPS.... Its your account and if you stick with the game then play as you like.... Don't feel you have to do anything you don't want to do. This is a GAME not a job... If your a healer and the tank tells you to dps then switch to dps mode and don't heal him...

Make a raise macro that says

/micon
ac/ "swiftcast" <me>
p/ "well you told me to dps so I did, don't blame me for why you are making love to the ground."
/wait 1
/ac "Resurrection" <t>
p/ "Now get up and stop complaining"

:iceburn:

The forums are more fun than the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

megalodong posted:

Crafting rule of thumb: if it ain't 100% it ain't poo poo

*proceeds to miss six 80% chances in a row*

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The game actually has a good set of RNG algorithms so any cases of 'dude the RNG is messed up' is incredibly likely to be confirmation bias.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's not as bad as missing three 98% chances in a row while gathering :shepicide:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's not as bad as missing three 98% chances in a row while gathering :shepicide:

:xcom:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

If I remember correctly, 1.0 at launch had a system similar to skillchains where you could "schedule" a combination of attacks with your party and depending on the type and order, the enemy would receive various debuffs. It was actually a lot less cumbersome than skillchains because attacks where broadly classified into like, "action of the same weapon type", "magical skill", etc.

Doesn't have a place in the game as it is today, though, since combat moves at a much faster pace.

I put a decent amount of effort into trying to figure out how that worked and I never did. It was stupidly obtuse, and iirc it held up everyone until the last person did whatever they were supposed to do, and what with the laggy mess the game was the entire time that feature was still active, generally a huge dps loss. I really only ever heard of it used by people who slogged through everything to try the anemic early endgame to do regional levequests or nms or something.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
What happened to our companion from 1.0? :negative:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kuai posted:

What happened to our companion from 1.0? :negative:

They like killed them off in the 1.0 msq as I recall

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Boten Anna posted:

They like killed them off in the 1.0 msq as I recall

Yeah Gaius straight up shoots them in the head from my understanding.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I don't think your companion died in Futures Perfect, but they most certainly did die in the raid on the Waking Sands (do 2.X spoilers still need tags?). They were right there the whole time, but you didn't even see them.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
there are except like i like rogue armor and dragoon armor you get is awesome. but the whole gender equality is concern i think whole thing in really life does more harm then good. if someone in really life transgression they chance for live a long life decreases and not increase. out respect for them i hope Square Enix never allow male to wear female armor. there was studied done sweden that prove this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I wish roegadudes and male catgirls could wear the bunny suit and Thav. bustier.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd settle for the bunny ears.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish roegadudes and male catgirls could wear the bunny suit and Thav. bustier.

there are except like i like rogue armor and dragoon armor you get is awesome. but the whole gender equality is concern i think whole thing in really life does more harm then good. if someone in really life transgression they chance for live a long life decreases and not increase. out respect for them i hope Square Enix never allow male to wear female armor. there was studied done sweden that prove this.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Holyshoot posted:

I wlll tell you, it's three goons, when I get there that are gone. Holyshoot, Omnicrom, and...the, uh, who's the third one there?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

sweden confirmed that dragoons have a lower lifespan than real people, good job sweden

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Technogeek posted:

I wlll tell you, it's three goons, when I get there that are gone. Holyshoot, Omnicrom, and...the, uh, who's the third one there?

:ohdear:

Boten Anna posted:

sweden confirmed that dragoons have a lower lifespan than real people, good job sweden

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I made a linkshell for Maelstrom PVPers on Excalibur: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27585

Let me know if you want in there. I'll try to get out invites tomorrow evening.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You have no luck, beautifully

UWAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

There's also the group aggro where all the low level mobs around you rush to attack if you kill something that's way under leveled compared to you.

I envision it like them seeing the WoL as a giant dragon that just randomly came out of nowhere and slaughtered a fellow villager, makes me kind of sad to aoe the other low levels that are rushing for revenge in a gesture they know is futile
:eng101: this only happens if you are in a party, regardless of whether your party members are near you or if you're just with a chocobo

• Locked thread