Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah average is going to be skewed by the crazy high ones that are orders of magnitude beyond typical. Median/percentiles are the right statistics to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
really all non-normal distributions should include a measure of skewness and kurtosis :spergin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's not like the wedding industry has an incentive to convince the public that everyone is spending a year's gross income worth on their weddings.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah I mean the markup when the vendor learns it's for a wedding can't be a hint, can it?

I have a rule. People who want to dictate how things in my life should be done are invited to pay the bill. Wallets and mouths stay shut that way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah average is going to be skewed by the crazy high ones that are orders of magnitude beyond typical. Median/percentiles are the right statistics to use.

yep, mastershakeman is bad with statistics

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

NancyPants posted:

Yeah I mean the markup when the vendor learns it's for a wedding can't be a hint, can it?

Part of that is that dealing with weddings can be... Trying. There's two photographers in my family, they have a general hourly rate, and a wedding rate which is basically $nope. Because they'd rather not work than deal with a wedding, but everyone has a price.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

mastershakeman posted:

50k is a reasonable wedding amount these days for most people, just FYI.

that's because most people are bad with money, hth

I was shopping for a house in the $150k range circa 2005 and my broker said I was approved for an $800k 5 yr ARM since rates are at a historic low and my wife and I (with cheap house down payment savings) have decent income from our (just out of college) jobs.
When I said I was more interested in a 30r fixed since that seemed insane, we had the following conversation:
    His response: over 50% of the loans being made are ARMs, it's what ~~everyone else~~ is doing.
    My response: then over 50% of purchasers are crazy since a historic rate low means I can only get screwed by them going up and if they stay the same, then I've locked in awesome or lost out on marginal savings.
I bet not being able to afford food or utilities on my "affordable" mansion would have been so awesome up until the eviction.

OGDanDogg fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 15, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

quote:

I was shopping for a house in the $150k range circa 2005 and my broker said I was approved for an $800k 5 yr ARM since rates are at a historic low and my wife and I (with cheap house down payment savings) have decent income from our (just out of college) jobs.
When I said I was more interested in a 30r fixed since that seemed insane, we had the following conversation:
    His response: over 50% of the loans being made are ARMs, it's what ~~everyone else~~ is doing.
    My response: then over 50% of purchasers are crazy since a historic rate low means I can only get screwed by them going up and if they stay the same, then I've locked in awesome or lost out on marginal savings.
I bet not being able to afford food or utilities on my "affordable" mansion would have been so awesome up until the eviction.

I ran into one of those shadier brokers in a bar once and while I assume many of them were malicious, the one I met was a complete buffoon who had never previously seen any professional financial success so he wasn't even trying to trick people into bad mortgages. He genuinely thought they were a good idea. Hell, he even had one. >_>

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
A patent attorney who engages in sexual intercourse? Likely story.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

50k is a reasonable wedding amount these days for most people, just FYI.

I make $200k a year. I'm going to propose to my girlfriend in a few months. I'm not buying her an engagement ring, the rings we do eventually get will be under $1k each, and I refuse to spend more than $10k on the wedding. Ceremony in a college chapel, and party later with booze bought myself and bartenders hired independently. My money is better spent on property, experiences, investments, etc. Weddings are about love, not appearances, and I would never marry someone who disagreed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

_areaman posted:

My money is better spent on property, experiences, investments, etc. Weddings are about love, not appearances, and I would never marry someone who disagreed.

For some people their wedding is an experience, much more so than any vacation. They don't choose to have elaborate decorations or food or clothing in order to impress others, but to have the experience they want to associate with getting married.

I wouldn't stoop to marry a poor like yourself, and paid cash for my (modest) wedding at 22, mind you. I just don't think you can denigrate wedding expenses in favor of "experiences" quite so simply.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Not attempting to re-open the KG thread by any means, I think it's good that it's closed for a bit. All that said, the last few posts :monocle:.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

_areaman posted:

I make $200k a year. I'm going to propose to my girlfriend in a few months. I'm not buying her an engagement ring, the rings we do eventually get will be under $1k each, and I refuse to spend more than $10k on the wedding. Ceremony in a college chapel, and party later with booze bought myself and bartenders hired independently. My money is better spent on property, experiences, investments, etc. Weddings are about love, not appearances, and I would never marry someone who disagreed.
Good luck with that. Ps nice humble brag.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cowofwar posted:

Nothing brings the drive-by humblebrags to the BWM thread quite like wedding chat. Even I'm guilty of it.

How Bad With Money is joining the Air Force reserves when it looks like the company you're working for is starting to go down the shitter? How soon after going to basic do you start getting paid?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

But you see, he makes 200k a year. So when his wife divorces him they'll be plenty of community property and she can spend her half on a real wedding with big gaudy SuperBowl style rings.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Wedding chat shouldn't be allowed here. At least, no one should be able to talk about their own. How many times has this exact discussion happened this year?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

McDonalds up charges an extra dollar for orange juice, but I always get it because it's pretty good. Seriously though what the gently caress, a small OJ ain't a dollar better than a small Coke.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Weddingchat is my bad guys I posted a wedding BWM without thinking about the ramifications.

Earning $100k living hand to mouth

quote:

I'm not 100% sure how to organize this in my bank app. But looking at the last 2 weeks (since my last paycheck, Sept 24th, here have been my expenses:

Seamless : 202.65
Coffee/Breakfast: 99.83
Entertainment/Going out: 415.78
Food (other): 144
Other (One computer purchase, and a few ATM withdrawals): 562
Grand Total: 1424.62. Before this raise, I net about $2100 a paycheck.

Can I invest in Marijuana?

My husband spent $45,000 on a Chevy without telling me

quote:

We went out on to the street, as he said, and he said this is the suprise, a ChevY Corvette, he said he spent $45,000 on it, said hed taken out a loan to pay for it, also used some of our family finances. He said it was a surprise for both of us.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

He said it was a surprise for both of us.

Well that's definitely true.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Investing in marijuana businesses sounds good with money to me. Where's the weed ETF?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Investing in marijuana businesses sounds good with money to me. Where's the weed ETF?

Yeah no kidding. I know that Crazy Calvin's Cannabis Cafe isn't exactly listed on NASDAQ but places like that are basically printing money at this point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

Not attempting to re-open the KG thread by any means, I think it's good that it's closed for a bit. All that said, the last few posts :monocle:.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I stopped following the thread and just checked up on it periodically, but :drat: that was crazy. He is in a bad place emotionally and needs to get his head on straight. Janus Owl is a saint for sticking by him.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I know bitcoin mining requires ASIC's on an industrial scale and even then isn't profitable. What I wonder is- could I farm out my cpu/gpu to some ignorant bitcoiner to use for bitcoin mining, accepting my pay in cold hard fiat? I could compute electrical+wear+tear and lease it out for say 130% of that, payable in dollars no bitcoins thanks. So, like, they'd pay me 15$ a day in order to mine .000000001 of a bitcoin, at current exchange rates worth .00000001$. That'd be a pretty sweet deal. For me. With how ignorant and greedy bitcoiners are maybe I could find a taker.

vvvvv Make it 2$ an hour and we're good to go. I don't care how many bitcoins you get, not my problem

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 15, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Uncle Enzo posted:

I know bitcoin mining requires ASIC's on an industrial scale and even then isn't profitable. What I wonder is- could I farm out my cpu/gpu to some ignorant bitcoiner to use for bitcoin mining, accepting my pay in cold hard fiat? I could compute electrical+wear+tear and lease it out for say 130% of that, payable in dollars no bitcoins thanks. So, like, they'd pay me 15$ a day in order to mine .000000001 of a bitcoin, at current exchange rates worth .00000001$. That'd be a pretty sweet deal. For me. With how ignorant and greedy bitcoiners are maybe I could find a taker.

Sold! I'll give you $2 for every bitcoin I mine.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nail Rat posted:

Wedding chat shouldn't be allowed here. At least, no one should be able to talk about their own. How many times has this exact discussion happened this year?
SO MANY. I love hearing about other people's BAD WITH MONEY weddings, but IDGAF or find GWM weddings entertaining.

One of my ex-friends wives wanted a perfect wedding. They conned about 15-20k from my no-longer-friend's parents. Everything was *perfect* as far as bride was concerned.

We all wished they spent more, and had less fat friends. No AC during a hot August, no open bar... No Bueno!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Uncle Enzo posted:

vvvvv Make it 2$ an hour and we're good to go. I don't care how many bitcoins you get, not my problem

https://www.humankode.com/security/how-a-bug-in-visual-studio-2015-exposed-my-source-code-on-github-and-cost-me-6500-in-a-few-hours

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

It's true that a bunch of greedy crooks aren't the best clients. I guess better I could just set up a website with fake mining pictures, posing as a mining pool, and sell shares of bitcoins that I actually just bought, pocketing the difference between what they cost to mine (which I charge in full) vs what they cost to buy (much less). It's not uncommon for people to pay tens of thousands of dollars for rigs that generate pennies a day worth of bitcoin.

I'd only take payment in cold fiat of course

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think your plan is awesome and fool proof. You should do it and tell us about it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Quarantine this man to the gbs kickstarter thread.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I don't know which is more bad with money. The person looking for this loan, or the anyone who actually tries to lend them it. But I'm going to guess the person that actually thinks this would be a good person to loan to. Sounds like a great way to clear 20k of debt, and have some property for a few months while it goes to court.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-financial-legal/mississauga-peel-region/70k-loan-needed/1110455120?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Golluk posted:

I don't know which is more bad with money. The person looking for this loan, or the anyone who actually tries to lend them it. But I'm going to guess the person that actually thinks this would be a good person to loan to. Sounds like a great way to clear 20k of debt, and have some property for a few months while it goes to court.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-financial-legal/mississauga-peel-region/70k-loan-needed/1110455120?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Wow, someone with -$20k wants to buy a $600k house.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Golluk posted:

quote:

I am in need of the above amount to close debt ($20k), pay for closing costs ($20k) and use as downpayment ($30K). I am willing
to:
-pay 50% interest
-place a lien on the property that I will be purchasing
-pre-authorize monthly payment
-entertain lender's other terms and conditions.

Serious inquiry.

:eyepop:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

NancyPants posted:

In one of Dave Barry's recent books, he talked about his experience booking a hotel for a wedding. He asked about renting a projector and screen to show off some romantic photos, and the hotel wanted $1500 - when one could walk into Best Buy and buy a decent LCD projector for less than half that.

The hotel told him about their union contract which would require two people to do the setup, presumably trying to cover up their "gouge the newlyweds" policy.

OGDanDogg posted:

He sounds just like the drug dealers from 1980's PSAs whose primary selling point was "Everybody's doin' it!".

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I spent $15k buying my own engagement ring. It's a pink argyle diamond so it's not big or impressive so I get no social recognition for it.

But let's bring back some bankruptcy horse chat!

quote:

One of my clients told me yesterday that she is thinking about filing bankruptcy, and it got me thinking: what usually happens to horses in bankruptcy cases? I know sometimes you have to sell your pricier assets, but what about just the basic backyard pony that isn't worth very much at all right now? I mean this lady's horses would probably fetch $50 run through an auction, maybe $500 if she were actually able to find a home for them (FWIW, she's been looking).

Lol at worrying about the selling price, because if you're filing bankruptcy you can certainly afford the ~$12,000/year in upkeep.

quote:

She should be able to keep her pets even if she does declare bankruptcy. Horses used for pleasure and not business are considered like pet dogs and pet cats. Bankruptcy is a method to get out of debt and to start over and the court does not require you to wear sackcloth and ashes and go about whipping yourself.

Not owning a horse you can't afford is wearing sackcloth and ashes whilst whipping yourself.

Old thread but good chat about what happens to the horses in bankruptcy.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?196412-horses-and-bankruptcy

quote:

I know a local trainer who put all her warmbloods in the name of her BO before she filed Ch. 7 BK and sold them at auction under the name of the BO. The trainer kept the cash in her casa but alas, it got stolen by her internet boyfriend... could not call the police because of the situation.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 16, 2015

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

I had a few hundred in a weed company that promptly doubled, then got shitcanned off the exchanges by the SEC for insider trading last year.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

For some people their wedding is an experience, much more so than any vacation. They don't choose to have elaborate decorations or food or clothing in order to impress others, but to have the experience they want to associate with getting married.

I wouldn't stoop to marry a poor like yourself, and paid cash for my (modest) wedding at 22, mind you. I just don't think you can denigrate wedding expenses in favor of "experiences" quite so simply.

That's interesting. Didn't your wife divorce you? Aren't you spending thousands of dollars on "magnet therapy" to cure your depression? Didn't you spend $50+ on TaskRabbit for someone to recycle some cardboard? Also to get some milk because you thought your daughter might get raped or something in your $3k+ SF apartment if you left for 5 minutes? Lmao.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

fits my needs posted:

That's interesting. Didn't your wife divorce you? Aren't you spending thousands of dollars on "magnet therapy" to cure your depression? Didn't you spend $50+ on TaskRabbit for someone to recycle some cardboard? Also to get some milk because you thought your daughter might get raped or something in your $3k+ SF apartment if you left for 5 minutes? Lmao.

Whoa whoa whoa. Gonna need come citations. You can't drop all those bombs and just bounce like that. I need to feel secure in my laughter lest I leave myself open to feeling foolish for believing such a crazy potentially fabricated story.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Duolingo - perpetuating horse equity. BWM.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

quote:

Turns out it wasn't a historic low, rates dropped like 2.5% between then and now. Hindsight 20/20 and all but taking a 5/1 ARM in 2005 was pretty GWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Blinkman987 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Gonna need come citations. You can't drop all those bombs and just bounce like that. I need to feel secure in my laughter lest I leave myself open to feeling foolish for believing such a crazy potentially fabricated story.

Totally. Spill it girl, spill it

• Locked thread